Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

A new Mr. Carter?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NorthCountryEvo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: A new Mr. Carter? Reply with quote

The son of NFL and Vikings great Cris Carter, Duron Cater, has entered the NFL draft. Most know little about him because he has only played one season of FBS football at Ohio State. You can read more about his story here:

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1505986-2013-nfl-draft-duron-carters-journey-and-how-it-has-shaped-him-for-the-future

While Carter has a multitude of questions about his ability on the field and his mental capacity based on his poor academics, he sounds like he could still have the potential to be a competent NFL wide receiver if he starts getting his stuff together. He is at best a late round pick, but is more likely to be an undrafted free agent simply because of his lack of a football résumé. While he might be riding a bit on his father's coat tails, that doesn't discount the possibility of taping into his excellent football bloodlines.

Do you think he'd be worth one of our 7th round picks, or at the very least, to be brought into camp after the draft?

Personally, with how much of a crapshoot the late rounds are, I'd have no problem with using a 7th rounder on him. I think his upside is there, and the downside would cost very little. If my drafted, I'd love for him to get a shot in camp as and undrafted free agent, and to see if he could start to fill his fathers shoes in purple.

"NIGHT STALKERS DON'T QUIT"
Boda

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it really depends upon how the draft plays out. I wouldn't pass on other potential WR's so we could take a shot on him. But if we only end up with 1 WR and it's our last 7th round pick or he went undrafted I wouldn't mind taking a shot on him.
Lil Uno

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way he gets drafted. Kid is a headcase and has done nothing at the college level to warrant a draft pick. I do think he will be a priority free agent due to his last name though.

Todd Gurley to Minnesota!
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if his name wasn't Carter, would anyone know who he even is...?

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Lil Uno

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:

I doubt it. He flamed out pretty quickly at Ohio State and get buried on the depth chart by several more talented players at Alabama. His approach to football is all screwed up and he doesn't have the raw talent to compensate for it.

KeithVikings28

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's a scrub. No time for players with the entitlement mentality.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does he at least catch touchdowns?

Webmaster wrote:
disaacs

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather take a chance on Jake Reed's son in 5 years at DB. Both his dad and his uncle played in the NFL and were top-shelf. If some people can remember back far enough, there was almost as much talk amongst fans about the Vikings trading for Jake Reed's brother, Dale Carter, as there has been about Larry Fitzgerald. In Dale Carter's instance, he finally did play for them, but way beyond when he would have been more useful.

Unfortunately, for Duron Carter's sake, he apparently hasn't been going to his father for advice (or heeding it), because of anyone, Cris knows what it's like to have a chaotic period when young...although his wasn't due to academics.

Thx to Uncle Buck!

Last edited by disaacs on Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
vike daddy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from December 2012:

Wide receiver Duron Carter has left FAU, Owls head coach Carl Pelini recently confirmed to the Sun-Sentinel and Owl Access, and is expected to enter April's NFL Draft. A native of the greater Miami area, Carter enrolled at FAU after 2012 spring practice, hoping to earn a hardship waiver from the NCAA. That waiver was denied, and Carter leaves without having played a down for the Owls.

The son of NFL great Cris Carter, Duron Carter was one of the top receivers in the recruiting class of 2009 and signed with Ohio State. After one year in Columbus -- where he caught what would be the only 13 receptions and lone touchdown of his FBS career -- he left the team with grade issues and transferred to Coffeyville Community College, where he became one of the nation's top JUCO wideouts.

Carter signed with Alabama in 2011 and was expected to play a major role for both those eventual national champions and the 2012 BCS title game representatives, but grades again prevented him from ever seeing the field, and he left for FAU.

The Sun-Sentinel reported it was "unclear" if Carter left FAU voluntarily or not.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/eye-on-college-football/21455494

four schools in three years...?

Webmaster wrote:
chuck44

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lil Uno wrote:
vike daddy wrote:

I doubt it. He flamed out pretty quickly at Ohio State and get buried on the depth chart by several more talented players at Alabama. His approach to football is all screwed up and he doesn't have the raw talent to compensate for it.

He didnt flame out at ohio state..he was actually playing and showed alot of promise..he failed in the classroom not on the field....and he was never buried at Alabama either ..he couldnt make grades again..has the same skills his father had...great hands and size uses body well...probably alittle faster than CC....he does have raw talent..watched him at the spring game one year ...made a couple crazy catches....he is just a head case

be worth a FA look or 7th rd pick....make his dad crack the whip like he should have in college...maybe a light kicks on.. like it did for his old man
Lil Uno

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuck44 wrote:
Lil Uno wrote:
vike daddy wrote:

He didnt flame out at ohio state..he was actually playing and showed alot of promise..he failed in the classroom not on the field....and he was never buried at Alabama either ..he couldnt make grades again..has the same skills his father had...great hands and size uses body well...probably alittle faster than CC....he does have raw talent..watched him at the spring game one year ...made a couple crazy catches....he is just a head case

be worth a FA look or 7th rd pick....make his dad crack the whip like he should have in college...maybe a light kicks on.. like it did for his old man

Disagree. 13 catches in 11 games is far from promise. Seeing as he couldn't get his academics together and ended up leaving OSU after just one year says he flamed out rather quickly.

As for Bama, he was going to be the #3 at best behind Julio Jones, Marquis Maze, and Darius Hanks. It a little to late think that this kid can get his act in order, especially when it hasn't a been one or two isolated incidents. He hasn't strung any type of progress together in 4 years.

chuck44

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lil Uno wrote:
chuck44 wrote:
Lil Uno wrote:
vike daddy wrote:

Disagree. 13 catches in 11 games is far from promise. Seeing as he couldn't get his academics together and ended up leaving OSU after just one year says he flamed out rather quickly.

As for Bama, he was going to be the #3 at best behind Julio Jones, Marquis Maze, and Darius Hanks. It a little to late think that this kid can get his act in order, especially when it hasn't a been one or two isolated incidents. He hasn't strung any type of progress together in 4 years.

He was only eligible for i believe 4 0r 5 of those games...Tressle wouldnt play him because of attendence in classes...I am involved with the OSU program with fund raising ..so i talk with many of the coaches at these events...The staff was very high on his abilities...the talent is there...his problems are completely mental which is too bad...6 3 210 4.55 with hands like daddy
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carter would not even be mentioned as a potential draft prospect if not for his dad.
chuck44

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Carter would not even be mentioned as a potential draft prospect if not for his dad.

Agreed...be worth a FA look though
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuck44 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

Agreed...be worth a FA look though

Why? Because he is Carter's son. I dont see what there would be worth looking at, compared to any other WR prospect not drafted. Id rather not go after players for reasons as this.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: