Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Redskins just $30,000 under the salary cap
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Redskins just $30,000 under the salary cap Reply with quote

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2013/04/09/in-wake-of-new-signings-redskins-just-30000-under-salary-cap/

Quote:
The Redskins are about $30,000 under the salary cap, according to a person with knowledge of NFL cap figures. The team managed to fit the recent signings of tight end Fred Davis, cornerback DeAngelo Hall and quarterbacks Rex Grossman and Pat White beneath the salary cap without any further reworkings of other playersí contracts to clear cap space.

Hallís deal has a base salary of $1 million and includes a signing bonus of $250,000. It also includes $1.25 million in incentives but only carries a cap hit of $1.25 million.

Grossmanís one-year deal has a base salary of $940,000 and a bonus of $10,000. If he is active for eight games, he receives an additional $30,000. If active for 12, he receives an additional $45,000. Grossman was active for only two regular season games last season.

Wow! Shocked Talk about threading the needle on the salary cap... Laughing

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
RSkinGM

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's the Rookie money gonna be found .. ?? They are/ have done a hellova job so far ..
Jeezy Fanatic

Location: The DMV; Proud Alumnus of the University of Miami, Class of 2011
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSkinGM wrote:
Where's the Rookie money gonna be found .. ?? They are/ have done a hellova job so far ..

Gotta figure a Rak extension is coming up shortly to move some money around.

chauboy wrote:
Then there was 1 group of girls that were just standing against of wall, the group being hot, just texting. Just intimidating.
aceinthehouse

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeezy Fanatic wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:

Agreed.

Not only do they need money if they plan on signing CB Winfield or Woodson or whomever before the draft, but they need money to sign the draft picks as well.

Even without a 1st rounder, 30,000 ain't gonna do it. lol

I see an Orakpo extension or another restructure coming, even before the draft.
Although they really only need the money when they go to sign the draft picks. So it could come after the draft. (presuming we don't sign anyone before the draft)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not in love w/ Orakpo.. The injuries and hasn't quite lived up to the POtential.. I hope they don't extend him..Let's see what he does this year..
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeezy Fanatic wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:

Good point. I think he and Trent are prime candidates for extensions and I still wouldn't be surprised if we restructured some of the defensive players we signed back in 2011 who have been good for us.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSkinGM wrote:
I'm not in love w/ Orakpo.. The injuries and hasn't quite lived up to the POtential.. I hope they don't extend him..Let's see what he does this year..
as footy has said in the past, now is the right time to extend him. We can probably get him at a reduced price because of those injuries. When he is healthy this year and has double digit sacks he's going to cost a lot more than he does currently.

aceinthehouse

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question?

If Green Bay offered us their 1st rd Pick #26 for OLB Brian Orakpo?

Would you do it?

1 more question...
If we DID somehow trade Orakpo, does anyone know how much CAP relief that would give us?

I just want to know hypothetically...Not saying it can or will ever happen.

I'm just curious how much cap relief he would give us, in a trade. (btw..that would also explain why he hasn't got an extension yet, too. (If this sort of deal were even remotely possible)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:
as footy has said in the past, now is the right time to extend him. We can probably get him at a reduced price because of those injuries. When he is healthy this year and has double digit sacks he's going to cost a lot more than he does currently.

so be it -- we'll have it next year..
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aceinthehouse wrote:
Question?

If Green Bay offered us their 1st rd Pick #26 for OLB Brian Orakpo?

Would you do it?

1 more question...
If we DID somehow trade Orakpo, does anyone know how much CAP relief that would give us?

I just want to know hypothetically...Not saying it can or will ever happen.

I'm just curious how much cap relief he would give us, in a trade. (btw..that would also explain why he hasn't got an extension yet, too. (If this sort of deal were even remotely possible)
I say No because pass rushers who draw as much attention as he does (he's the only player we have that offenses gameplan for) and that can get near or above double digit sacks don't just grow on trees. If we move him, it creates a hole and remember Rob Jackson isn't the pass rusher Rak is, our D suffered a lot last year w/o Rak's pass rushing presence in the front 7 and Jackson is on a 4 game suspension.

Trading Rak isn't really going to save us anything. His salary is 2,810,000 million, bonus is 2,299,000 million and cap hit this year is 5.1 million.

If he's traded, I believe the bonus we owe him is prorated forward meaning we'd save 899,000. Then we'd have to sign our 1st round rookie.

I could be wrong, I always get these questions wrong but that how I read it.

turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSkinGM wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:

true but we might end up spending nearly twice as much for him in the long term.

RSkinGM

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:

true but we might end up spending nearly twice as much for him in the long term.

Yep, we'll be rolling the dice. but he might not be the same with the bad pec,, or he might get hurt again .. just might have a bad year..
I won't be be terribly unhappy if we extend him,, but I'm on the "Don't do it side right now "..
skinsfanLA

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSkinGM wrote:

First things first, under the new CBA, teams don't need to have the rookie $$ for contracts by the time of the draft, which they DID have to have available under the first CBA. You don't need the $$ for rookies until sometime after camp opens. (It may be the day Rookie camp opens)

Second, I head "redskins at one" a few days ago and they were talking about the fact that D. Hall's contract was written in such a way that if we cut him he has ZERO cap impact. So, if, for example, Minnifield is crushing Hall in camp, he can be cut and have no impact on the teams cap moving forward. I hope its the same for the Sex Cannon.

So I'd expect a few key restructures for guys who the Shanniclan are hoping to keep around, Rak, Trent, Garcon....Maybe Wilson, if the only other option is to cut him. I'd also expect a surprise cut or two that will give us some room.

We have time to make this happen, which is nice. But we are really under by the skin of our teeth.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Ahhhh the old "unnamed source". It's been way too long, my very credible friend!
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skinsfanLA wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:

First things first, under the new CBA, teams don't need to have the rookie $$ for contracts by the time of the draft, which they DID have to have available under the first CBA. You don't need the $$ for rookies until sometime after camp opens. (It may be the day Rookie camp opens)

Second, I head "redskins at one" a few days ago and they were talking about the fact that D. Hall's contract was written in such a way that if we cut him he has ZERO cap impact. So, if, for example, Minnifield is crushing Hall in camp, he can be cut and have no impact on the teams cap moving forward. I hope its the same for the Sex Cannon.

So I'd expect a few key restructures for guys who the Shanniclan are hoping to keep around, Rak, Trent, Garcon....Maybe Wilson, if the only other option is to cut him. I'd also expect a surprise cut or two that will give us some room.

We have time to make this happen, which is nice. But we are really under by the skin of our teeth.
well I'm not sure we will see any surprise cuts because the only position I see where we definitely NEED an upgrade is FS. And we could restructure a few guys and sign a FS easily and I'm pretty sure we will take one with one of our 1st two picks.

I honestly don't think our team needs much improvement. I'm happy where we are right now and I haven't been able to say that in over a decade.

Geronimo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect some surprise, they will cut someone. Who? That depends on the players we will draft and on the money we save with the cuts.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: