Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Raiders sign CB Mike Jenkins
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
Bartell was a much better CB at some point than Porter or Jenkins have ever been. But signing those guys for cheap to add to a very weak depth chart makes perfect sense. Anyone thinking the issue is now fixed is kidding himself though.

+1, I was thinking that when I saw someone say Porter and Jenkins were better at some points in their career's than Bartell ever was. I do think at least one will pan out but you're definitely right about the Bartell point.

BigBillsFan13 wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:
Somewhere, RR strokes his mustache with pride
Among other things...
holyghost

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
Bartell was a much better CB at some point than Porter or Jenkins have ever been. But signing those guys for cheap to add to a very weak depth chart makes perfect sense. Anyone thinking the issue is now fixed is kidding himself though.

It's fixed as best it can be with a 2/3 payroll and one semi active free agency period. Sure, it's definitely not ideal. But it's as good as it can be right now.
DOCLEW 28

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just crack up at Raider fans these days. Its like we are so conditioned toward negetivity that some just can't help themselves.

Earlier in the free agency period people were complaining about not signing any CBs. Now we sign the two that most people targeted and there is still grousing? I don't get it. These guys may not be hall of famers but they are quality football players. And Ron Bartell is better than either of them at any point in their careers???

Was Bartell ever a Pro Bowler ever?
Did Bartell have a signature moment in any big game?

None I can recall. But Jenking and Porter have both reached heights that Bartell never did. I don't even wanna get into making comparisons because I am more concerned with looking forward. But jeez!!! Pump your brakes on the greatness of Ronald Bartell.

Reggie has been a FA beast thus far. I an excited to see how he finishes putting this team together with the draft and beying this offseason. Then I can't wait to see how it all meshes on the field. I have a feeling that we are in for a nice ride watching Reggie turn this thing around. And this is just another step in the beginning of that process.

Raider X hooked me with the sig
RaiderX

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
I like that they are younger players, but I hope they still look at someone with potential in the draft.

A guy like in the later rounds is Marc Anthony from Cal. Big, physical, long arms, good tackler.

SaveourSonics wrote:
Yea, RaiderX wins. We can all just top acting like this is a matter of opinion. MY GOD.
Darkness

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOCLEW 28 wrote:
I just crack up at Raider fans these days. Its like we are so conditioned toward negetivity that some just can't help themselves.

Earlier in the free agency period people were complaining about not signing any CBs. Now we sign the two that most people targeted and there is still grousing? I don't get it. These guys may not be hall of famers but they are quality football players. And Ron Bartell is better than either of them at any point in their careers???

None I can recall. But Jenking and Porter have both reached heights that Bartell never did. I don't even wanna get into making comparisons because I am more concerned with looking forward. But jeez!!! Pump your brakes on the greatness of Ronald Bartell.

Reggie has been a FA beast thus far. I an excited to see how he finishes putting this team together with the draft and beying this offseason. Then I can't wait to see how it all meshes on the field. I have a feeling that we are in for a nice ride watching Reggie turn this thing around. And this is just another step in the beginning of that process.

"Reggie has been a FA beast thus far"...

Brisiel, Tollefson, Bartell, and Spencer all contributed little to nothing last season. Not a big deal because none were big signings, but calling McKenzie a beast is a huge exaggeration so far. The FAs he signed this off-season are more of the same. Average to below average stop gaps looking to prove themselves...
big_palooka

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaiderX wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
I like that they are younger players, but I hope they still look at someone with potential in the draft.

A guy like in the later rounds is Marc Anthony from Cal. Big, physical, long arms, good tackler.

I've seen him mocked in the 3rd round. He's been on the rise because of his size/skills.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOCLEW 28 wrote:

Neither guy was on my list. An my definition of quality I guess is different than yours. I haven't seen anything out of either player in the last 2-3 years that screams quality.

DOCLEW 28 wrote:

Bartell was a solid CB on a bad Rams team. Ala Asomugha for years with Oakland. Good CB getting no credit because nobody cared about his losing team. injury clearly derailed him however.

DOCLEW 28 wrote:

FA beast? Little over the top no? He's making the best of a bad situation and clearly wanted to overall the roster. But the signings are wait and see. Average or worse players they hope till rise up.

End of the day, the draft is where this rebuild is going to be put on notice. Can guys like Burris, Bilukidi, Crawford and Bergstrom become contributors and improve? With an early pick in 2013 can Reggie add an impact player or trade around to fill holes with quality and depth? That will be the mark of a sound rebuild. Talent in the draft.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
FA beast? Little over the top no? He's making the best of a bad situation and clearly wanted to overall the roster. But the signings are wait and see. Average or worse players they hope till rise up.

End of the day, the draft is where this rebuild is going to be put on notice. Can guys like Burris, Bilukidi, Crawford and Bergstrom become contributors and improve? With an early pick in 2013 can Reggie add an impact player or trade around to fill holes with quality and depth? That will be the mark of a sound rebuild. Talent in the draft.

lol Bergstrom got drafted at the very end of the 3rd, and the rest is 4-6th rounds lets see what he can do with a 1st and beginning of the 3rd round picks unfortunately no 2nd round picks which sucks because the 2nd round is the money round. Cool

Also next year there will be money to spend for top free agents something that seems there hasn't been any for a long time here.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
RaiderX wrote:
big_palooka wrote:

I've seen him mocked in the 3rd round. He's been on the rise because of his size/skills.

From every scouting report I've read he's projected to go in the 6th.

SaveourSonics wrote:
Yea, RaiderX wins. We can all just top acting like this is a matter of opinion. MY GOD.
Ro4DPoY

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaiderX wrote:
big_palooka wrote:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=81773&draftyear=2013&genpos=CB

There you go. I honestly think Reggie's been pretty good picking up FA's in the conditions our salary cap has been, He helped Wheeler get a huge contract IMO, yeah the guys talented but we nudged him towards that contract. He did pretty good with the draft as well if you count UDFA's, Juron Criner could still eventually develop, he picked up Burris, a 4th round pick that wasn't like a wet paper towel like past 4th round picks have been.

He's going to change this team. I know people keep talking about the salary cap situation next year and the whole 89% issue, but I'm sure he'll find a way to place that money perfectly.

Alot of faith that by 2015 we'll be wrecking teams, at least KC and Jax anyway lol.

Been wanting to do this for a while now. Let's see what happens.
raidr4life

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vic Tafur ‏@VicTafur 34m
#Raiders signed CB Mike Jenkins for one year, $1.5 million $550,000 bonus, $800,000 salary, $150,000 workout bonus, per
DOCLEW 28

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkness wrote:
DOCLEW 28 wrote:

"Reggie has been a FA beast thus far"...

Brisiel, Tollefson, Bartell, and Spencer all contributed little to nothing last season. Not a big deal because none were big signings, but calling McKenzie a beast is a huge exaggeration so far. The FAs he signed this off-season are more of the same. Average to below average stop gaps looking to prove themselves...

I was talking about this year with the cap and filling out the roster. I've been a coach for 20 years so I know the difference.

You and BP see what you wanna see and hear what you wanna hear.

I will make it plain next time. Rolling Eyes Wink

DOCLEW 28

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raidr4life wrote:
Vic Tafur ‏@VicTafur 34m
#Raiders signed CB Mike Jenkins for one year, $1.5 million $550,000 bonus, $800,000 salary, $150,000 workout bonus, per

Talked a guy out of taking a multi year deal elsewhere is a great job when it only costs you $1.5M for a single season.

But fire away Reggie pundits. Rolling Eyes

TiberiusRising

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOCLEW 28 wrote:
raidr4life wrote:
Vic Tafur ‏@VicTafur 34m

Talked a guy out of taking a multi year deal elsewhere is a great job when it only costs you $1.5M for a single season.

But fire away Reggie pundits. Rolling Eyes

non guarenteed to boot.

Although I think it was the Raiders who wanted a multiyear deal and Jenkins declined. Good have read it wrong.
DOCLEW 28

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. He had a multi year from Jacksonville in hand when he came here for his visit.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: