Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Raiders sign CB Mike Jenkins
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
Porter/Jenkins are fine stopgaps. But people 'loving' the signings as if they assure some stability at CB I don't understand. For me, it's just 2 stopgaps which is all that can be expected at this stage.

Idk, Porter is only 26 and has had his best years with Allen. Jenkins can be a solid role player too. If they both pan out, I can see them being long term Raiders. Probably only one as a long term starter though.

BigBillsFan13 wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:
Somewhere, RR strokes his mustache with pride
Among other things...
dmac505

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
dmac505 wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
This all feels vaguely familiar.

Last year it was Spencer (replaced in the starting lineup in SF) and Bartell (once solid CB who had an injury and was looking to rebound).

Granted they were older, but everyone was hyping them last year. Kept posting how Larry Fitzgerald said Bartell was the best CB he faced and making excuses for why Spencer was sent to the bench.

So here we are again. 2 players who's best football happened a couple years back with some injury concerns trying to rebound on 1 year prove it deals.

I like that they are younger players, but I hope they still look at someone with potential in the draft.

haha your always the one saying, we wont sign any big names FA and that this is the worst time of the year because everyone whines the moves the front office makes...

what do you expect? We have no money.

RM is signing guys with potential, no one is saying there great. but instead, these are guys who have shown the potential to be good and they are coming cheap.

I'm not expecting any big name FA signings. But I hope this doesn't take away the chances of drafting for the position to find a better long term solution.

Porter/Jenkins are fine stopgaps. But people 'loving' the signings as if they assure some stability at CB I don't understand. For me, it's just 2 stopgaps which is all that can be expected at this stage.

Fair, i assume that when people say "love this signing" they mean given our situation they love the signing.

RM is going to draft BPA... it is tough to do when you have a ton of holes with no starters currently on your roster.

through FA, he has added at minimum guys deserving a shot to start, so that we dont need to reach for a need.

if we didnt sign any CBs, then wed have a huge hole at CB at RM may have felt like itd be necessary to go with Milliner.. instead he has patched up the hole with average guys, and obviously its still a need but we could go into the season with porter jenkins as starters and be ok.

its tough to draft BPA when you have so many needs. RM has gotten us, a DT, 2 OLB, MLB, and now 2 CBs, none of them are great by any means, but they all allow us to go BPA instead of having a huge need.

at least this is the way i see it.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
TiberiusRising

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:
big_palooka wrote:

Idk, Porter is only 26 and has had his best years with Allen. Jenkins can be a solid role player too. If they both pan out, I can see them being long term Raiders. Probably only one as a long term starter though.

Exactly. At least one of the two should work out. Honestly I am not as worried on the outside as I am in the slot or nickel packages. TE's and slot receivers are what really kills us. Between Adams, Jenkins, Porter I think they have the outside covered for now. Ross and Chewka showed some potential as well. Getting a better pass rush will help greatly.

So needs left imo on defense are DE, DT, FS, nickel CB. I think all of those can be filled in nicely in this draft.
TiberiusRising

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CENgZyfuxA8&feature=youtu.be
THE MAD STORK

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
Am I missing something here? Jenkins is pretty bad. Aside from 2009, he's been pretty awful.

He's bad in coverage and can't tackle.

PFF (if you like that sort of thing) rated him as one of the ten worst free agent corners on the market.

Porter and Jenkins are not really anything special at CB. Both are toasted frequently, can't tackle and pretty poor.

Sad THIS is considered an upgrade/starter in Oakland. Hope Adams rises to the occasion and steals a starting spot over one of them.

I not positive but I believe Jenkins had a shoulder injury which I'm sure affected his tackling. As for Adams, I think he will be a starter. The guy is really under rated, he just needs to stop getting concussions. But if he stays healthy I think he's the BEST overall corner on our team
Roninho

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well due to the cap it was going to be a below average starter anyhow, so Jenkins and Porter at least has some name recognition for the casual fan. Laughing

Anyway, all i care is that we somehow end up with 2 impact players from the draft. McKenzie set us nicely up for next year to get out of cap hell, but we won't return to respectable level any time soon if we don't draft some impact players.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:

lol...
Jamethus92

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OT kinda but bare with me. I was reading this story on Mike Rizzo (GM of the Washington Nationals) about how they turned the Nationals from the worst team in baseball to one of the best. He said that he viewed free agency for the big league roster as temporary solutions to appease the fans (and compete somewhat) but the real building was happening in the draft.

I believe Reggie holds the same philosophy. These signings are nice and all, but does anyone expect them to be here long term? I know I don't. If they stick, great. But even if they don't - he's going to try and pick their long term replacements through the draft.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
dmac505 wrote:
big_palooka wrote:

Last year it was Spencer (replaced in the starting lineup in SF) and Bartell (once solid CB who had an injury and was looking to rebound).

Granted they were older, but everyone was hyping them last year. Kept posting how Larry Fitzgerald said Bartell was the best CB he faced and making excuses for why Spencer was sent to the bench.

So here we are again. 2 players who's best football happened a couple years back with some injury concerns trying to rebound on 1 year prove it deals.

I like that they are younger players, but I hope they still look at someone with potential in the draft.

haha your always the one saying, we wont sign any big names FA and that this is the worst time of the year because everyone whines the moves the front office makes...

RM is signing guys with potential, no one is saying there great. but instead, these are guys who have shown the potential to be good and they are coming cheap.

I'm not expecting any big name FA signings. But I hope this doesn't take away the chances of drafting for the position to find a better long term solution.

If Reggie has a CB as BPA then we will take him. This is an insurance signing just in case the draft doesn't shake out as we want. Low risk high reward, hard not to like IMO.
#clueless
Big Rob

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmac505 wrote:
big_palooka wrote:

exactly, no one is pimping these guys to be Pro Bowlers, and its not like Reggie is handing out outrageous contracts...no one is planning on contending for a playoff spot this year, but Reggie is laying down a nice foundation with the little hes got...i know we are in a lot better position than i thought we would be at this point...
Big Rob

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
dmac505 wrote:
big_palooka wrote:

i saw Bartell and Spencer as stop gaps, i see Porter and Jenkins as instant upgrades with potential to be long term starters...
Big Rob

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:
big_palooka wrote:

yes, DA also factors into my optimism regarding these signings...like you said Porter had his best years with DA and i am sure Allen had a hand in bringing in Jenkins, is intrigued by his skill set, and is confident he can get the most out of him...
Big Rob

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TiberiusRising wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:
big_palooka wrote:

Exactly. At least one of the two should work out. Honestly I am not as worried on the outside as I am in the slot or nickel packages. TE's and slot receivers are what really kills us. Between Adams, Jenkins, Porter I think they have the outside covered for now. Ross and Chewka showed some potential as well. Getting a better pass rush will help greatly.

So needs left imo on defense are DE, DT, FS, nickel CB. I think all of those can be filled in nicely in this draft.

id like to see Jenkins and Adams on the outside with Porter in the slot, in nickel packages...
TiberiusRising

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Rob wrote:
TiberiusRising wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:
big_palooka wrote:

id like to see Jenkins and Adams on the outside with Porter in the slot, in nickel packages...

Thats all well and good but we cant count on all 3 to be healthy at the same time.
oakdb36

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bartell was a much better CB at some point than Porter or Jenkins have ever been. But signing those guys for cheap to add to a very weak depth chart makes perfect sense. Anyone thinking the issue is now fixed is kidding himself though.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: