Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Tight End Position?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RaiderX

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: The Tight End Position? Reply with quote

Decided to start a topic on this seeing as its kind of been under the radar as of late. Here we are a year later asking them same situation. Who is gonna be the starting TE for us this season. Last year the answer wasn't as difficult with a guy like Myers becoming a favorite target of Palmer's even though he wasn't the biggest of receiving threats since he was drafted. Now that he is with the Giants we are stuck looking at what's left on a very unproven depth chart.

Couple years ago we thought Ausberry would be the future when we let Miller walk but he has struggled to get playing time and seperation on the field. He mad a couple of flashy plays but was not named the starter when Myers was hurt. His blocking is another thing that is holding him back.

So what do we do with the position? Draft someone late? Move Reece to TE? Develop one of the remaining 3 or sign whats left in free agency (i.e. K2)?

Our Current Depth Chart:
Gordon
Ausberry
Shuler

Notable Remaining FAs
Todd Heap
Alex Smith
Chris Cooley
Kellen Winslow
Jeremy Shockey
Kevin Boss
Dante Rosario
Dallas Clark
Donald Lee

SaveourSonics wrote:
Yea, RaiderX wins. We can all just top acting like this is a matter of opinion. MY GOD.
oakdb36

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably wait until the draft and bring in Winslow if we don't adress the position early.
Either way, i think we'll ask the starting TE to be more of a blocker and involve Reece more in the passing game.
101Raider

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly don't see alot happening at this position (not that I agree). I expect maybe a really late round flyer will be taken on someone if even that.

I think Ausberry and Reece will serve as our primary receiving threats and Gordon will fulfill the role of blocker.
ZoomWaffle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kellen Winslow was born to be a Raider IMO, but I just don't know if his body can hold up. Still, I wouldn't be opposed to offering him or Shockey a cheap, one year deal.

I have a hard time believing that Reggie and Allen are OK with an Ausberry/Gordon combo starting at TE next year. If we don't sign a starter, then I wonder if they are planning on drafting one.

Silver&Black88 on the sig

La_Vader wrote:
I wouldn't trade Pryor for any prospect in this years draft. Quote me on that
Big Rob

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deep TE draft, I think well grab one in the middle rounds...
raiderfan19

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel this will be addressed like the secondary. Draft first then fill out the the holes in free agency. What about Richard Gordon as the starter since he is a good blocker and Ausberry on 3rd downs if we get nothing?

S\O Palooka on the sig
raiders006

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not all that worried about it...we can divert some of Myers catches to Reece. Seems like we could grab someone in the 5th or so and be fine at the position for one year. We need our wideouts to step up but I feel like I say that every year.
ch8878

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tight End Position? Reply with quote

RaiderX wrote:

Notable Remaining FAs
Todd Heap
Alex Smith
Chris Cooley
Kellen Winslow
Jeremy Shockey
Kevin Boss
Dante Rosario
Dallas Clark
Donald Lee

Dante Rosario they might get cheap, but that whole group Rosario included just doesn't stay healthy.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eifert with the 3rd overall pick. Haha

G

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we go pass rusher with #3
DB with our 3rd then a TE with our 4th.
Sims might be there or trade down and take Michael Williams and Toilio in the 5th round.
Never draft a TE until the 3rd IMO
raidr4life

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaisinBran wrote:
Eifert with the 3rd overall pick. Haha
Speak to the hand
DOCLEW 28

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan Otten - San Jose State Wink

Raider X hooked me with the sig
unko_B

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will all depend on the type of offense Greg Olsen is going to run. At a quick glance looking over the years he was a coordinator I can see that only one season (2009 TB) he had a TE significantly impact his offense. That year Kellen Winslow had 77 catches for 800+ yards. Outside of that, TE's were almost no where to be found.

I think a three man rotation at the position should suffice (Reece, Ausberry, Gordon). Any rookie taken late in the draft will have little to no impact outside of ST's or blocking. IMO a traditional bulldog FB is more important, Raiders would spell Reece giving him more touches via run or pass game.

btw, I would pass entirely on Kellen Winslow. He doesnt fit in anywhere in what the Raiders are trying to do. If you thought Meyers couldnt block, what do you think you'll be getting from Winslow? IMO you get the same thing Ausberry, underwhelming player with big talent except one player is younger. I do hope Ausberry turns it around this year, I'd like for him to win the full time job there. People forget he switched from WR where he exclusively played on the outside. Three years of hard work SHOULD pay ff and maybe finally put it all altogether now.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will probably wait until after the draft before looking to sign someone.

If we sign Kellen Winslow, I don't see why we wouldn't use him as a receiving threat like he was used in Tampa under Olsen. I know we have Reece but you can't go wrong with giving Flynn a TE to use as a safety blanket. It's worth a flyer.

It will be interesting to see if Ausberry has made any progress since last season coming into his 3rd season.
DOCLEW 28

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't get the hope and dream for Ausberry.

The guy has just not shown anything in his time here. Not even a spark.

So what gives? Is it just hope? Or do people really see something there. Because I haven't seen a thing out of this guy.

Raider X hooked me with the sig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: