Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Tavon Austin
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skinsfan13

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Tavon Austin Reply with quote

Do you guys think the Bengals would consider Tavon Austin with the 21st pick if he was available? Gruden made a point of saying that the Bengals really need another explosive threat offensively, it almost sounded like the player he was describing was Austin tbh, and considering the accuracy issues Dalton has down the field, would Austin not be a great fit? More importantly, are you guys picking up on any predilection the organization might have as it pertains to your first round pick? Thanks in advance.
INbengalfan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They would be interested, but I doubt they pull the trigger. Doubt he is still there at #21 anyway.
THE DUKE

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they could get near similar results drafting Denard Robinson to play all over like Austin would need to to get max value out of his talents.

-There are no men like me, only me.
-"Our life is what our thoughts make it" - Marcus Aurelius
Jason_Bengal_Fl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of Bengals fans would love to add Austin. Not convinced Bengals brass would use a first round pick on a guy very similar to someone they already have in Andrew Hawkins.
sparky151

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea what the team would actually do but I'd be happy with Austin at 21. He is a much better player than Hawkins and causes all sorts of matchup problems. He'd be replaced in goal line packages but otherwise could help the team in lots of ways as a returner, receiver, and sometimes runner.
Jason_Bengal_Fl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparky151 wrote:
No idea what the team would actually do but I'd be happy with Austin at 21. He is a much better player than Hawkins and causes all sorts of matchup problems. He'd be replaced in goal line packages but otherwise could help the team in lots of ways as a returner, receiver, and sometimes runner.

Is he that much better a player?

He was the #1 option at WVa, Hawkins was #3.
Their 40 times are identical.
Austin played some really bad defenses last year too that helped inflate his numbers a bit.

I think the team needs to do more to use Hawkins better.
ark23

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason_Bengal_Fl wrote:
sparky151 wrote:

Is he that much better a player?

He was the #1 option at WVa, Hawkins was #3.
Their 40 times are identical.
Austin played some really bad defenses last year too that helped inflate his numbers a bit.

I think the team needs to do more to use Hawkins better.

Austin is in a different stratosphere than Hawkins if you ask me. It's almost like comparing Justin Hunter to Randy Moss if you ask me. Similar physical tools, similar playing styles but no one will ever say that Hunter is the same player as Moss or can play at the same level Moss did.

Austin has incredible balance, low center of gravity, at times he bounces off defenders. Surprisingly strong lower body but what's unreal is his raw speed. Accelerates from zero to fifty in a second, can change directions like no one I've seen and in the new age NFL which is more and more about playing in space he can thrive. Dynamic with the ball in his hands, will be an elite return man, can be a third down back/COP running back. Quite simply he's a playmaker and someone who can be a gamechanger. Hawkins is a good slot guy and gadget player but he's not nearly the player Austin is.

With that said I doubt he will be available at 21, no way he makes it past twenty if you ask me. With that said we have shown a lot of interest in him this year at the WVU pro day and even bringing him in for a private workout.
INbengalfan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkins might not be equal to Austin, but two points come to mind. Is he such an upgrade that you spend a first rounder on him? Probably not. Even if he is, does it matter if dalton struggles to get him the ball?
theJ

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ark23 wrote:
Austin is in a different stratosphere than Hawkins if you ask me. It's almost like comparing Justin Hunter to Randy Moss if you ask me. Similar physical tools, similar playing styles but no one will ever say that Hunter is the same player as Moss or can play at the same level Moss did.

Austin has incredible balance, low center of gravity, at times he bounces off defenders. Surprisingly strong lower body but what's unreal is his raw speed. Accelerates from zero to fifty in a second, can change directions like no one I've seen and in the new age NFL which is more and more about playing in space he can thrive. Dynamic with the ball in his hands, will be an elite return man, can be a third down back/COP running back. Quite simply he's a playmaker and someone who can be a gamechanger. Hawkins is a good slot guy and gadget player but he's not nearly the player Austin is.

With that said I doubt he will be available at 21, no way he makes it past twenty if you ask me. With that said we have shown a lot of interest in him this year at the WVU pro day and even bringing him in for a private workout.

Austin may very well end up being better than Hawkins. But too many people make the mistake of thinking that a college player is better than an established pro because of their college production and skills.

You can project all you want, but we know that Hawkins can perform on the NFL level. We don't know that about Austin.

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
Jason_Bengal_Fl

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

INbengalfan wrote:
Hawkins might not be equal to Austin, but two points come to mind. Is he such an upgrade that you spend a first rounder on him? Probably not. Even if he is, does it matter if dalton struggles to get him the ball?

This.

I won't argue that Austin is not better.

But is the gap wide enough to justify using a 1 on him.

IMO, no.

If he's still there at 53, or maybe even 37, I'm all over that.
ark23

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
ark23 wrote:

Austin may very well end up being better than Hawkins. But too many people make the mistake of thinking that a college player is better than an established pro because of their college production and skills.

You can project all you want, but we know that Hawkins can perform on the NFL level. We don't know that about Austin.

No question but this argument can be made for any prospect coming out of college. Championship teams are built through the draft and you have to trust your personnel guys (in our case Mike Brown hahah) to find the right guys for your scheme and locker room. It's certainly not an exact science but you have to take some risks in the draft to be successful down the line.

And actually I don't think Austin has a huge bust factor. Because worst case scenario he's an elite return man and decent slot receive. Injuries haven't been a concern at all so far in his career - zero missed practices in four years at WVU - but obviously it's very hard to say what'll happen in the NFL.

I do agree that established pros are undervalued. But because of the salary cap sometimes teams have to take chances on rookies (not necessarily us though) because they will be cheaper options at the premium positions than established veterans who will command hefty price tags.

At 21 I think Austin has to be in consideration. But I doubt he's even there for us to pick.
sparky151

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, there are people who think Andrew Hawkins is in the same zip code as Tavon Austin? Do you think Austin will bounce around between the NFL and CFL? They are similar in size with Austin slightly taller. That's about it.

Austin wouldn't be competing for the slot receiver job, he'd be starting out wide with Sanu and Hawkins competing for the slot job. Austin pulls a safety out of the middle of the field in a way that Hawkins doesn't.
RedGreenShow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like Austin is a rich mans Hawkins. Can he play on the outside and get vertical effectively? If so i don't see why we wouldn't take a chance on him. The only thing is that we have a history of taking bigger wideouts.
[quote="YoursTruly"]He doesn't get the ball because he is shut down. Zero seperation. It is my understanding that Elite WR should be able to do this when their number is called. AJ gets shut down relatively easy.[/quote]
theJ

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparky151 wrote:
Really, there are people who think Andrew Hawkins is in the same zip code as Tavon Austin? Do you think Austin will bounce around between the NFL and CFL? They are similar in size with Austin slightly taller. That's about it.

Austin wouldn't be competing for the slot receiver job, he'd be starting out wide with Sanu and Hawkins competing for the slot job. Austin pulls a safety out of the middle of the field in a way that Hawkins doesn't.

You've seen Austin do those things at the NFL level? Don't act like it's a sure thing. He could very well be out of the league, CFL and all, in two years.

I'm really just playing devils advocate here, because i don't have a horse in this race. Just don't act like it's absurd to say that a proven NFL veteran is better than a college player.

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
sparky151

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
sparky151 wrote:

You've seen Austin do those things at the NFL level? Don't act like it's a sure thing. He could very well be out of the league, CFL and all, in two years.

I'm really just playing devils advocate here, because i don't have a horse in this race. Just don't act like it's absurd to say that a proven NFL veteran is better than a college player.

How is Hawkins a proven NFL player? There's a reason he's been cut by a couple of teams already in his career and his role with the Bengals diminished down the stretch. He exceeded expectations as a street free agent and had some good plays earlier in the year. He had 56 or more yards each of the first 3 games last year, then a high of 47 yards in the remaining 13 games. He also had 15 yrds in the playoff game.

For his career he has about 800 yards and 4 TDs.

I'd like to see Hawkins replace Tate as kick and punt returner but let's not pretend that we already have someone like Austin on the roster already.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: