Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bryan Hall to ILB?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: Bryan Hall to ILB? Reply with quote

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Bryan-Hall-Switching-To-Inside-Linebacker-/104bf17e-1dde-4a9b-a9e9-ceaffc54380b

Interesting, but I suppose there's no downside to it. He likely wouldn't make the roster at DL seeing how it's incredibly deep. Apparently he was a LB all through HS but got moved to DL in college.

Our site's roster has him listed at 6'0, 295 but the article says he's dropped 23lbs in the last 3 weeks, so that would put him roughly at 272ish. Obviously he'd definitely have to lose even more weight, but if he can get down to 250ish, I wonder how well he could play in a thumper role. It's a long shot, but it's interesting the coaching staff trying to preserve talent on the roster in any way that they can. Worth a shot.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its a great move. Jarrett Johnson was originally drafted as a defensive lineman too. I think Hall can make the transition, but we may not see any results for another year or two.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well. With the depth chart we have he wasn't going to see the field at DL. And NFLDS says he posted 4.86 and a 4.19 shuttle Shocked at 295. So cut 30 pounds you probably have a really athletic player. Worth a try.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
1/10. Not a fan[of C.J. Mosley]. Just another future failed Alabama product.
sp6488

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teddy bruschi was a dlineman, albeit an undersized one, in college as well iirc.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh. Just trying him a role. I don't think this impacts the draft at all either.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't want to start a new thread, but just heard on the press conference today that in addition to Hall being tried at ILB, they are planning on trying McPhee a bit at OLB in Suggs' role. That is, an end in a 4-3 front, but OLB in a 3-4.

Thought it was interesting.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a bunch of interesting quotes coming out from that press conference. McPhee playing some DE/OLB doesn't surprise me much as I think he's a better fit rushing off of the edge than anywhere else. Now I wonder if that means taking a 5-technique early on could be a real possibility. A lot of us were talking about that possibility before last season ended but after the signings of Canty and Spears it seemed like the DL was pretty much set if Ngata moved inside to NT. With Jones only having a one-year deal and the age of the two guys they signed maybe we do see a DL taken early on. Ngata could stay at the 5-technique too and then NT could be an early-round possibility.
Go_Ravens2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
There's a bunch of interesting quotes coming out from that press conference. McPhee playing some DE/OLB doesn't surprise me much as I think he's a better fit rushing off of the edge than anywhere else. Now I wonder if that means taking a 5-technique early on could be a real possibility. A lot of us were talking about that possibility before last season ended but after the signings of Canty and Spears it seemed like the DL was pretty much set if Ngata moved inside to NT. With Jones only having a one-year deal and the age of the two guys they signed maybe we do see a DL taken early on. Ngata could stay at the 5-technique too and then NT could be an early-round possibility.

I agree with what you're saying. I think this just adds to the sentiment that we want everyone in our front 7 to be versatile. We have a number of players that can do a variety of things, which can be very dangerous and allows us to use different looks. Also, it eliminates a specific positional need in the draft because like you said, we have guys that can play multiple positions out of: ILB, 3-4 OLB, 5 tech, and NT. With that kind of diversity, we can pick a guy at any of those positions and it will fill a "need".

GO RAVENS!!
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think McPhee will be much better suited to playing OLB, and regain some of the explosiveness he showed in 2011. He's the same height as Suggs, and should easily be able to get down to a similar weight, should be ideal to play that position.

But it definitely seems like Pees wants players to be capable of slotting into different positions, in different looks. Mix things up, confuse QBs and O-lines. I like it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the thought of McPhee at OLB, as well. Definitely something I agree with. He should be competing with Hamilton for the 4th OLB spot behind Doom, Sizzle, and the Doberman unless they take someone at the position in the draft. The depth chart could look like:

LOLB: Terrell Suggs, Courtney Upshaw
ROLB: Elvis Dumervil, Pernell McPhee, Adrian Hamilton

2000WORLD CHAMPIONS2012
coordinator0

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Dumervil will be playing much ROLB. In one of the articles I quoted in some other post after Dumervil was signed it said he was the most productive pass-rusher going up against RTs/rushing the passer from that side of the line last season. Now that's also the strong side but that's why Upshaw will get quite a bit of playing time too. Suggs has rushed mostly from the ROLB position and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

McPhee will still probably get a lot of playing time too, maybe mostly in the 4-man DL sets though. He could be the main LE in that alignment pretty much taking over Kruger's role from last season.
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BareYourTeeth wrote:
I like the thought of McPhee at OLB, as well. Definitely something I agree with. He should be competing with Hamilton for the 4th OLB spot behind Doom, Sizzle, and the Doberman unless they take someone at the position in the draft. The depth chart could look like:

LOLB: Terrell Suggs, Courtney Upshaw
ROLB: Elvis Dumervil, Pernell McPhee, Adrian Hamilton

I'd have Upshaw as the starter at ROLB, with Dumervil coming in as a situational pass rusher. Upshaw's ability to stop the run is going to be so valuable, even with the increased strength in the D-line.

I don't really want to see Doom on the field when teams are running the ball, because they'll run it down his throat.

McPhee could rotate in to relieve Suggs, keep him fresh now he's knocking on a bit. But if McPhee does regain his 2011 form, then I think the Ravens pass rush will be amongst the most potent in the league.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suggs played LOLB, which is the strong side like you said, almost exclusively for the first several years of his career he didn't move to ROLB until Adalius Thomas left. Dumervil, on the other hand, has played on the right side (ROLB/RDE) his entire career only rushing the passer from the left side in certain situations... Suggs has done the same thing. Look back at his 2011 season when he won DPOY, probably almost half of his sacks came when he was going up against RTs. Whenever you're rushing from that side you're going to be more successful. I trust Suggs to be more successful than Doom at LOLB, however.

EDIT: @ Mancunian Raven, oh trust me I don't want Doom in on running situations either... I just think he'll be the "starter" while Upshaw will be rotating with him. I expect a similar situation to the one they had in Denver last year with Ayers and Dumervil when Doom was the starter and rushed the passer while they rotated Ayers in on running downs with Miller staying on the field for any situation. Make no mistake, on running downs Upshaw and Suggs will be on the field.

2000WORLD CHAMPIONS2012
coordinator0

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BareYourTeeth wrote:
Suggs played LOLB, which is the strong side like you said, almost exclusively for the first several years of his career he didn't move to ROLB until Adalius Thomas left. Dumervil, on the other hand, has played on the right side (ROLB/RDE) his entire career only rushing the passer from the left side in certain situations... Suggs has done the same thing. Look back at his 2011 season when he won DPOY, probably almost half of his sacks came when he was going up against RTs. Whenever you're rushing from that side you're going to be more successful. I trust Suggs to be more successful than Doom at LOLB, however.

Thomas played LOLB (when he wasn't lined up at CB, S, or wherever else lol) when he was with the Ravens. I'm not sure about when Boulware was still playing but Suggs probably played quite a bit of LOLB then. He's still played mainly ROLB ever since though.

Dumervil has been a ROLB most of his career. Last season he rushed the passer from the LOLB position on roughly 20% of his pass-rush attempts. Sure it might be easier to be productive from that side of the line but Dumervil was still the best at doing so last season. Rotating him and Upshaw in at that position depending on the situation seems like the best way to go. Having McPhee spell Suggs (or Dumervil) gives them a great rotation.
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow this is almost as big as the KO to LT news. If moving Bryan Hall to ILB got it's own thread, then this definitely should as well. I was wondering why we didn't have one already, until I saw this.

McPhee has actually shown he could be an effective DE. He looked good as a rookie and had a few impact plays during this past playoffs at that position. Strange decision to move him to perhaps the most stacked position on our defense (team?).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: