Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Trading Down from #25 More Likely?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What to do with #25?
Select BPA regardless of position
31%
 31%  [ 11 ]
Select Top WR
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Select Top CB
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Select Top DT
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Trade Up to get guy we want
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Trade Down and get more ammo
54%
 54%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 35

meixdaddy_10

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purplexing wrote:

Another criticism of this suggestion is that it takes two to tango; i.e. a trade partner has to think that Minnesota's pick at 25 is more important to them than TWO picks they yield to get #25. But the justification of the trade by Minnesota is that the two picks are more valuable. Those incongruous conditions aren't easy to achieve.

I know its hard to trade back, but i just feel like this year is a good year for it to happen. With the new rules in the CBA it allows teams that 5th yr of control on their QB's and I feel they would be willing to give up a little to get it.

With this years crop of QB's it would be much wiser for a team to grab an elite prospect at a different area of need first and then go up and get their guy at the end of the round.

I would love to see a trade of #25 and a 7th for a 2nd this year and a 2nd next year. It would give us more ammo for next year and also get rid of a pick this year.

So if we did a few trades it would like:

RD1 #23 LB Teo, Brown, Ogletree (take your pick)
RD2 #38 (lets say AZ wants Barkley) WR Woods
RD2 #41 DT Short, Hankins, Williams - Trade up with 4th and 7th

still have picks in RD 3,4,5,6,7 in 2013 cutting it down to 8 total this year and picks in RD 1,2,2,3,3,4,5,6,7 in 2014 for a total of 9 next year. It evens out the picks and still gives us value for our picks
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the 2012 draft, in the 20s, there were three teams that traded down: the Bengals, Ravens and the Broncos.

There are more teams that will stay put than be looking to trade up, but you have to believe that there will be a few teams looking to move up. Whether or not the vikings capitalize remains to be seen, it seems fans from every team thinks there team will be the one to trade down. There is probably a slim chance of it happening in round 1, but after round 1, i see it as being more likely.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xDarealx wrote:

Y not, draft picks are like cash in the nfl. U dont thinks its better to have 6-7 picks in the first 4 rnds then 5
And I believe the drop off in talents starts around the third not mid 2nd

B/C the farther the pick from the top, the greater the chance of not being a good player over the long term; i.e. backup or ST players instead of starters, or starters instead of stars.

The drop off in talent is user-defined.

When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all.
xDarealx

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purplexing wrote:
xDarealx wrote:

Y not, draft picks are like cash in the nfl. U dont thinks its better to have 6-7 picks in the first 4 rnds then 5
And I believe the drop off in talents starts around the third not mid 2nd

B/C the farther the pick from the top, the greater the chance of not being a good player over the long term; i.e. backup or ST players instead of starters, or starters instead of stars.

The drop off in talent is user-defined.

That's what I'm sayin there is no clear cut #1
Ok let's say we get a MLB or wr with our first pick then we trade back to say somewhere in the top 2nd what's the big difference lets say sly Williams in the first or Kwaan short or John Jenkins in the second.
Purplexing

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
There are always teams in the win now mindset who will trade future picks or want to acquire premium picks to grab a specific target. it happens every year, this year should be no different regardless of the perceived depth in mid 1st to mid 2nd.

I dont expect many, if any, trades in the top 10, but after that i do expect a decent amount of movement. Given Spielman's history, he will trade down in this draft at some point.

You, I, and others in this thread seem to differ only in the magnitude of our perceived chance of Spielman trading down. No one realistically believes it is zero. Likewise, no one realistically believes it is certain (100%).

I think fewer teams in 2013 than in past years will believe that a trade up will be efficient and effective in the 1st - 2nd round 'sweet spot', however each of us defines it.

Spielman's history would be a more compelling forecast tool IF he had 11 picks in prior years. Things change.

When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all.
calipurple

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I've seen suggested is that the Vikings trade up to top 15 to secure Arthur Brown and then using the 25th pick on receiver. I would be all for this

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calipurple wrote:
One thing I've seen suggested is that the Vikings trade up to top 15 to secure Arthur Brown and then using the 25th pick on receiver. I would be all for this

What!!!!! Hell no
HighHopes

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont mind a small trade back to the early second, or even late second if this gets us a future 1st. The draft seems to be really random this year lol.
calipurple

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xDarealx wrote:
calipurple wrote:

What!!!!! Hell no

Why not?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calipurple wrote:
xDarealx wrote:
calipurple wrote:

What!!!!! Hell no

Why not?

Brown isn't worth moving up for. Especially at the price some times are looking for. We're comfortable picking a good linebacker where we are. For all we know Brown could drop to us.
Minnesnowta vk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calipurple wrote:
xDarealx wrote:
calipurple wrote:

What!!!!! Hell no

Why not?

The only way I like us trading up is to 16 with Pitt if warmack were to fall.
Guards are under valued and there are 2 ways to make a QB better that's get him a better line or receiver and receivers have a way higher bust rate
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OG doesnt seem to be a spot MN will target. MLB will be, at least listening some of Frazier's quotes stating he expects to start a rookie MLB. Given this, I am sure MLB will be a priority on draft day and with two first rd picks, I would guess its a safe bet they use one on a MLB.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on what we'd likely get in a return trade, i rather sit at both picked and take BPA that fills a starting need, even if im personally not a fan of that actual player based on my rankings.

Im all for moving up in 3rd round with us giving up some addition picks in the 4th/5th round

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely HATE the idea of trading down. I agree with the people that said stay put and get the BPA. Why trade one of the NFL's best players for such a steep price if your just going to trade it away? We traded him for that 1st rd pick. We wanted that 1st rd pick. Why wouldn't we use that 1st rd pick on a 1st rd talent. Makes no sense to trade back for a couple of lesser talents. Stay where we are and do what we can with the picks that we were fortunate enough to accumulate. Don't go messing with it. Every HUGE need that we might have can be filled with the selections already in our possession, 2 1st rounders a 2nd rounder and a 3rd rounder. Idk about many of you but I would rather have two 1st, than two 2nd or two 3rd rounders. DO NOT TRADE (hopefully)
Klomp

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jam8891 wrote:
Absolutely HATE the idea of trading down. I agree with the people that said stay put and get the BPA. Why trade one of the NFL's best players for such a steep price if your just going to trade it away? We traded him for that 1st rd pick. We wanted that 1st rd pick. Why wouldn't we use that 1st rd pick on a 1st rd talent. Makes no sense to trade back for a couple of lesser talents. Stay where we are and do what we can with the picks that we were fortunate enough to accumulate. Don't go messing with it. Every HUGE need that we might have can be filled with the selections already in our possession, 2 1st rounders a 2nd rounder and a 3rd rounder. Idk about many of you but I would rather have two 1st, than two 2nd or two 3rd rounders. DO NOT TRADE (hopefully)

The depth of this draft is deep. You can probably get someone at 48 as good as someone at 18. If you trade down a few spots, you can pick up additional assets while still drafting the same caliber of player.

I don't really want to trade down either, but I can see why others view it as a valid option.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: