Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

49ers sign OT Anthony Davis to a 5-year, $37.2M extension
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John232

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was the best offensive lineman last year on the best offensive line. I also don't think it's close. Iuapati isn't great in pass protection and he is prone to penalties. Staley gets beat by speed rushers...Anthony Davis just did everything well last year. I can't think of a single instance of him getting dominated this year. He got what he deserved.

xsaMainevent on the sig
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so overly thrilled with this the more and more I think of it, and really hope they do Iupati before the season's out (no rush - just before 2014). Most are expecting the cap to make a pretty big jump in 2015, so the more guys we sign now for beyond then could leave us sitting pretty for a while.

Because if the cap DOES make that jump in 2015, players worse than Davis will make even more than this extension.

Frank Gore Career Rushing List Tracker:

*Currently Ranked 21st All-Time
*Yards needed to pass #20, Warrick Dunn: 317
*Yards needed to enter Top 15: 1045
SoCalNiner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that the Bengals would have overpaid for Andre Smith, but if they did, we could have gotten screwed. Great job by our FO to set the mark for a top RT.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
Wow, nice. Davis really improved last year and he's still very young. A little surprised that they got done with him first instead of iupati, but that's one fewer extension to sorry about

I am not as surprised. Iupati was an All Pro this season and will be next season too so there isn't much of a chance his value goes up much within the next two seasons.

AD on the other hand is getting better every season so it is probably cheaper now to extend him than it would be next year.

I have a new Sports Blog check it at:
http://buttfumblesports.wordpress.com/
49ersfan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John232 wrote:
He was the best offensive lineman last year on the best offensive line. I also don't think it's close. Iuapati isn't great in pass protection and he is prone to penalties. Staley gets beat by speed rushers...Anthony Davis just did everything well last year. I can't think of a single instance of him getting dominated this year. He got what he deserved.

I could have sworn Davis had tough days against the Giants and Saints this season but i don't remember too much.
-Not taking this off until the 49ers win #6
rudyZ

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ersfan wrote:
John232 wrote:

I could have sworn Davis had tough days against the Giants and Saints this season but i don't remember too much.

To be fair, everyone had a tough day against the Giants. It was just one of those games...

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
Kikuchiyo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
49ersfan wrote:
John232 wrote:

To be fair, everyone had a tough day against the Giants. It was just one of those games...

He struggled against the Rams as well, as did most of the team.

A Big Thanks To PatsDynasty21
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Davis was the best lineman on our team, and he had some rough spots during the season. He was certainly one of the best, but I still have no idea what the hell was going on in the Miami game Laughing . Saying all that, this extension definitely makes me happy and we need to get Iupati taken care of as well.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Staley gets way too much flack from some. He was absolutely dominant in the run game, and would only get beat once or twice at most a game. Unfortunately for him, the times he would get beat he would allow a sack. In the playoffs he was mostly flawless. Just to compare, regular season and playoffs included, Staley and Davis both allowed 9 total sacks. However, Staley allowed 18 QB hurries compared to 31 from Davis.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
I don't think Davis was the best lineman on our team, and he had some rough spots during the season. He was certainly one of the best, but I still have no idea what the hell was going on in the Miami game Laughing . Saying all that, this extension definitely makes me happy and we need to get Iupati taken care of as well.

Seriously, I felt like Alex Boone was our best OL all year. The two tackles had ups and downs, Iupati spent most of the year being attacked on Goodwin's side, because Goodwin wasn't much help. Boone was consistently very good. Whereas the other 4, we tend to remember their bad plays (like Staley getting his nose broken on one of the very first plays of the year by Clay Matthews, resulting in a sack), I can't really remember anything bad given up by Boone. Or maybe I just closed my eyes when it happened, because of my professed man-love for Boone.

We have to love Baalke. We have the best OL in the NFL and definitely get the most bang for our buck as well. We pay next to nothing for Boone. Iupati and Davis were on very reasonable rookie deals. Staley is vastly underpaid compared to what he'd get on the open market (he'd easily make 150% of his current salary on any other team in the NFL). And then there's Goodwin. I love Baalrbaughrathe. The three headed monster.

J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boone was an absolute stud as well. I just think when you take into consideration the difficulty of the position, I'd say Staley was the best. I mean we are debating who did best on THE best OL in the game? Feels good man.............................

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John232 wrote:

Absoluely. Becoming the best RT in the game!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:

Seriously, I felt like Alex Boone was our best OL all year. The two tackles had ups and downs, Iupati spent most of the year being attacked on Goodwin's side, because Goodwin wasn't much help. Boone was consistently very good. Whereas the other 4, we tend to remember their bad plays (like Staley getting his nose broken on one of the very first plays of the year by Clay Matthews, resulting in a sack), I can't really remember anything bad given up by Boone. Or maybe I just closed my eyes when it happened, because of my professed man-love for Boone.

We have to love Baalke. We have the best OL in the NFL and definitely get the most bang for our buck as well. We pay next to nothing for Boone. Iupati and Davis were on very reasonable rookie deals. Staley is vastly underpaid compared to what he'd get on the open market (he'd easily make 150% of his current salary on any other team in the NFL). And then there's Goodwin. I love Baalrbaughrathe. The three headed monster.

I go back and forth on a C in the draft. This makes we want a reak center, not a guywe converted from G because we had no oher option availa ble.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:

I go back and forth on a C in the draft. This makes we want a reak center, not a guywe converted from G because we had no oher option availa ble.

I'd want the real deal, but there doesn't seem to be that type of C in this draft. The guy I really wanted, back in the days, was Eric Wood, in 2009. There's no one with the same blend of built, athleticism, smarts, ruggedness, with long experience at C. Travis Frederick seems to be a real tough SOB, but he'd look like a statue on our offensive line. Athletically, I like Brian Schwenke, but I'm not sure he has all the other attributes.

Maybe our best hope is Kilgore. I liked the flashes he's shown in preseason. I don't know. I can only hope we get a better center, so that the guards don't always have to help out.

757-NINER

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:

Are you talking about Kilgore? Because one of the first things Baalke said after he drafted him was they liked his fit at either center or guard and that versatility is one of the reasons he was drafted. Interior O-Lineman are converted all the time and flourish. Nothing wrong with that. Most Centers start out at OG because OC is a difficult position and you really have to know the playbook, audibles, line calls, different protections, etc. And that's usually alot for a rookies so they start out at OG their first year to ease them into it. It seems to me that Baalke is very high on Kilgore and Looney both.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: