Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

HakeemTheDream's Mock Draft (4/4)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HakeemTheDream

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: HakeemTheDream's Mock Draft (4/4) Reply with quote

1. Cornellius "Tank" Carradine, DE, Florida State
First of all, this pick is highly dependent on how he performs at his workout in two weeks (4/20). Coming off a torn ACL in November, he is far enough ahead of schedule with his rehab that he will be doing a full workout six months after the injury occurred. If it weren't for the injury, Tank is a top 10 pick in this draft. Giants need to take advantage of getting this talent at 19. Tank is a prototypical RE in a 4-3 defense. He's similar to JPP in terms of his athleticism and explosiveness. Like JPP, Tank had limited starting experience in college. He's got the size you look for in a DE to go along with a relentless motor. He plays the run well for the most part, racking up 80+ tackles this year. Many FSU fans believe Tank will be a better pro than highly regarded teammate Bjoern Werner. This pick would replenish the Giants pass rush that was nonexistent last year. Him and JPP would strike fear into every single offensive line in the league.

2. Sio Moore, OLB, UConn
Here's a LB who doesn't excel in one area, but is solid in every aspect. He tested very well at the combine: running a 4.65 forty; 29 bench reps; a 38 inch vertical; and a 127 inch broad jump (all were the best for LBs). He's disciplined and maintains gap responsibilities. Consistent tackler who limits yards after the catch. Experience covering both TEs and big WRs. Does a good job jamming TEs and can stay with them on seam routes. Good instincts in coverage. Can jump slants and adept in breaking passes up. Uses his arms well to shed blocks and is a sideline-to-sideline backer. Also has the ability to get down in a three-point stance and rush the passer. Has a knack for knocking the ball away from QBs. His remarkable athleticism wasn't very evident in film. Gets eluded by quicker ball-carriers in the open field. Can play both WLB and SLB for the Giants scheme. Has the ability to be a three-down backer who might not be elite, but will be a very good consistent player in the NFL. I see Moore being able to play the Kiwi LB role while also being athletic enough to play the pass.

3. Travis Frederick, OG/C, Wisconsin
Frederick is the type of offensive linemen who would fit perfectly in a power scheme. He's a big guy at 6'4" and 312 lbs. Has experience playing both guard and center. He's quick off the snap and can stone defensive linemen right away. Has the upper and lower body strength to anchor defenders consistently. Reliable one-on-one blocker. Has the quick feet to get to the second level on tosses and screens. Reliable snapper. Has a tendency to stop his feet in pass protection, which will need work. The Badgers have a history of producing quality offensive linemen, and Frederick is bound to live up to the hype. He's a similar player to David Baas, and he think he could be either his or Boothe's (or both) replacement. Plug and play anywhere on the interior line without worry.

4. Shawn Williams, SS, Georgia
Let me preface this by saying pointing out the similarities to a former Giants safety, both in name and number. Williams is known for calling his teammates "too soft" during the year. He certainly didn't fit into that category. He is a physical, in-the-box safety who is strong at the point of attack. Had the best forty time (4.46) and most bench reps (25) for all safeties. A good blitzer who makes many disruptive plays in the backfield. Strong tackler who can take down players with authority. Played often as a single-high or two-deep safety. Does a good job reading the QB and closing on receivers. Strikes fear into players going over the middle. Has a tendency to go for the big hit instead of wrapping up. Has trouble shedding blocks. Doesn't have great ball skills and won't force a ton of turnovers. More of a zone player than man-to-man. He's been overshadowed by Bacarri Rambo, but Williams has traits that will translate into a solid safety in the NFL. He could play in the third safety role right away and contribute on special teams. I can definitely see him fitting next to either Stevie Brown or Will Hill as the future safety tandem.

5. Kevin Reddick, ILB, North Carolina
While the Giants never draft a LB in the first round, they do often take multiple in the same draft. While usually not this high, it's obvious the Giants need some work at the position. Reddick is the last of the talented group of LBs from North Carolina. I always thought he had the potential to be the best, but Reddick never took his game to the next level. He's very intelligent, and a hard worker who rarely misses assignments. Prototypical middle linebacker who can move around in tight spaces to fill run gaps. Doesn't take false steps or freelance. Played some DE as a senior, showing natural bend and flexibility. He isn't a sideline-to-sideline guy, but has great short area closing burst. Does a good job on blitzes. Won't be exposed in coverage. Does a better job beating the blocker to the spot rather than shedding the block itself. Doesn't have the stamina to be a three-down LB. Proved to be more athletic at the combine than was evident on tape. Could be a solid LB in the middle of the Giants defense who is a two-down backer.

6. Chris Faulk, RT, LSU
I've been a fan of Faulk since starting the draft process, but he isn't very popular among draft analysts. He missed the last season with a torn ACL, but should be recovered by next year. Has experience at both LT and RT, but may only be able to play RT in the NFL. Was considered a 1st or 2nd rounder before the injury. At 6'5", 331 lbs., and 25 bench reps, he has the size to play RT in the NFL. Does a good job getting his hands on defenders and and re-directing them. Wins consistently, even with poor technique. Relentless blocker with solid strength. He won't translate to LT because of his heavy feet and tight hips. Need refining on his technique. Puts his head down too often and also is on the turf more than you'd like. Doesn't use his strength well in the run game. Struggles to recover after being beaten. He isn't NFL ready, but can be coached into a starting RT in the NFL. Worse case scenario, Faulk is quality depth with high upside.

7. Kayvon Webster, CB, South Florida
Webster is not a very well known prospect, but he has limited tape because teams rarely threw at him. He's got good measurables at 5'10", 195 lbs., 4.41 forty, 14 bench reps, and a 35 inch vertical. He's a reliable corner who doesn't have many holes in his game. He's an excellent tackler who uses his athleticism well. Is a effort player who may be a sleeper as a starting CB in the NFL. Has the right attitude for a CB. Looked smooth in position drills at the combine. Gave great effort on a terrible defense. He sounds like someone who can be a gunner right away on special teams and possibly groomed as either depth at CB or even possibly a starting job. I can see him being a solid sleeper in this draft.

7. Ryan Griffin, TE, UConn
Here's my guess for TE coach Mike Pope's infatuation with an unknown TE prospect. He's got good size at 6'6" and 255 lbs. He shows good hands and the ability to extend to catch the ball. Adjusts well to off-target throws. Goes over the middle without fear and has natural ball skills. Adequate quickness and solid route runner. Has the awareness to get his feet inbounds on the sideline. He's an aggressive blocker who did a better job than some of his fellow offensive linemen. Very disciplined and patient. Had a versatile role at UConn where he lined up inline, in the slot, and in the backfield. Has a the frame to add more bulk and strength. He's a possession guy with minimal YAC ability. Never had consistent production because of the terrible offense he played for. This guy sounds like Jake Ballard to me. He could be a hidden gem with the best TE coach in the biz coaching him up.

fracdaddy14

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be very happy with this draft. Fits our needs well and gives a lot of players who fit the Giants mold.
GMENNATION

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fracdaddy14 wrote:
I would be very happy with this draft. Fits our needs well and gives a lot of players who fit the Giants mold.

+1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently, I like Reddick alot more than you do Laughing because I don't see him falling anywhere the 5th round. But I'm also a firm believer that we need a "thumper" type linebacker on the team.

I would not like the Sio Moore pick. I don't really see how it would help or where he would fit given what the roster currently looks like, and the second round is a premium pick.

I love the Frederick and Williams picks!
HakeemTheDream

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dkebones wrote:
Apparently, I like Reddick alot more than you do Laughing because I don't see him falling anywhere the 5th round. But I'm also a firm believer that we need a "thumper" type linebacker on the team.

I would not like the Sio Moore pick. I don't really see how it would help or where he would fit given what the roster currently looks like, and the second round is a premium pick.

Funny you say that about Reddick. I actually had him in as the 4th round pick and Williams in the 5th, but I swapped them because LBs aren't valued as highly as DBs. I'd be happy with either in the 4th. I've been a big fan of Reddick since his freshmen year at UNC. Could be a solid two-down backer in the NFL.

As for Sio Moore, you don't think he could play the SLB role that the Giants have nobody on the roster to play right now? I know the 2nd round is a premium pick, but LB is very deep in the 2nd round and will lead to good value there. Moore's draft stock has been steadily rising lately.
dkebones

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HakeemTheDream wrote:
dkebones wrote:

Funny you say that about Reddick. I actually had him in as the 4th round pick and Williams in the 5th, but I swapped them because LBs aren't valued as highly as DBs. I'd be happy with either in the 4th. I've been a big fan of Reddick since his freshmen year at UNC. Could be a solid two-down backer in the NFL.

As for Sio Moore, you don't think he could play the SLB role that the Giants have nobody on the roster to play right now? I know the 2nd round is a premium pick, but LB is very deep in the 2nd round and will lead to good value there. Moore's draft stock has been steadily rising lately.

hmm, i wasn't really thinking about him at SLB since he played at around 230lbs in school. though I do see now that he bulked up a bit since then. Regardless, i agree with you that there's alot of early-mid round talent at LB. If it were me in the second, I'd probably go with Jamie Collins over Moore. Freak athletically (and we all know how JR likes those) and has played a LB/DE hybrid role in college.
HakeemTheDream

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dkebones wrote:
hmm, i wasn't really thinking about him at SLB since he played at around 230lbs in school. though I do see now that he bulked up a bit since then. Regardless, i agree with you that there's alot of early-mid round talent at LB. If it were me in the second, I'd probably go with Jamie Collins over Moore. Freak athletically (and we all know how JR likes those) and has played a LB/DE hybrid role in college.

I'd be happy with Moore or Collins. I actually mocked Collins to the Giants in the 2nd earlier this offseason. The main reason I went Moore over Collins here is because Moore fits better into a 4-3 because he is more well-rounded and better in coverage.
NYGiantsman10

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done HTD. Up to your usual standards. If I can quibble with you a little, I think OT and CB are bigger needs than OG and SS. The players themselves seem like Giants type players though.

Ideally (for me) a draft would go something like...

DE
OT (specifically RT)
CB
LB (wherever)
LB
OG

something along those lines anyway. Good read though
HakeemTheDream

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYGiantsman10 wrote:
Well done HTD. Up to your usual standards. If I can quibble with you a little, I think OT and CB are bigger needs than OG and SS. The players themselves seem like Giants type players though.

Ideally (for me) a draft would go something like...

DE
OT (specifically RT)
CB
LB (wherever)
LB
OG

something along those lines anyway. Good read though

Gotta disagree there. Let's look at OTs first. Giants have Beatty, who was just signed to a lucrative deal, and Brewer who is a young player with potential to play RT. Both are in the prime of their respective careers and have a lot of football left. If you look at OG, the Giants have Boothe, who will be a FA next year, and Snee, who is being vastly overpaid and has already talked about retirement. There will be significant changes at OG before there are at OT because of age and contract situations.

As for CB more than S, look at the depth at CB this year: Prince-Webster-Hosley-Ross-T2. That's a solid group with two young guys with potential to be starters of the future and three veterans who I'd feel comfortable spot-starting. When you look at safety, there's Rolle-Brown-Hill-Sash-Mundy. Rolle is the top gun, and is overpaid and coming to the end of a lucrative deal. I highly doubt he gets another contract from the team, especially on the wrong side of 30. As for Stevie Brown, he's a FA after this year and could be a goner. That leaves the Giants with one unproven player with potential (Will Hill), and two special teams players who would be exposed starting at safety. I see a bigger turnover at S in the next few years than CB.

I understand your reasoning behind OT and CB, but if you look at contract situations as well as cap constraints, G and S will be more important in the near future.

Thanks for the kind words otherwise Very Happy
Kodaraw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Eric Reid falls to us in the second I would think we would take him. Our LB corps has been weak for years but was always over shadowed by a strong DL and good secondary.
In the third I think Barrett Jones would get the nod over Frederick but I would take either. Next year our line is a bit unknown outside of our tackles. Will Snee retire? Will tough-as-nails but overpaid Baas be cut? Will 30 year old Boothe sign elsewhere?
I would also take Ray Ray Armstrong in the seventh. He was once a first round prospect and oozes with potential and athleticism. And he's like 6 foot 57 inches tall.
And of course, I have a bit of a man crush on Tharold Simon. And he can play CB/S and would be a great value in the 5th if we can't get Riddick. But I think Connor will make a solid ILB but can we keep him next year?

Solid mock though. Would vastly improve our team. Hits all of our needs while taking BPA
HakeemTheDream

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kodaraw wrote:
If Eric Reid falls to us in the second I would think we would take him. Our LB corps has been weak for years but was always over shadowed by a strong DL and good secondary.
In the third I think Barrett Jones would get the nod over Frederick but I would take either. Next year our line is a bit unknown outside of our tackles. Will Snee retire? Will tough-as-nails but overpaid Baas be cut? Will 30 year old Boothe sign elsewhere?
I would also take Ray Ray Armstrong in the seventh. He was once a first round prospect and oozes with potential and athleticism. And he's like 6 foot 57 inches tall.
And of course, I have a bit of a man crush on Tharold Simon. And he can play CB/S and would be a great value in the 5th if we can't get Riddick. But I think Connor will make a solid ILB but can we keep him next year?

Solid mock though. Would vastly improve our team. Hits all of our needs while taking BPA

Big fan of Eric Reid. I'd love to have him on the Giants, I just don't think it'd be wise to use a 2nd round pick on a safety.

I personally prefer Frederick over Jones because of his ability to over-power defenders. Jones would be a very versatile player, but I don't think he'd survive at tackle which means Frederick and Jones are capable of playing the same positions. Both are good talents, it's just a matter of preference.

Overall, the offensive line as a whole is an unknown outside of Beatty. There's a lot of changes that will be happening in the next few years. I'd prefer them to go the route of FA like they did with O'Hara and McKenzie because I'm not very confident in Reese's ability to draft good players along the offensive line.

NO to Ray Ray Armstrong. And this is coming from a Hurricanes fan. He's got a WR's body and mentality. I don't think he ever performed at a level capable of being drafted in the first, and he was outplayed by Vaughn Telemaque throughout their careers and he's expected to be an undrafted FA. Ray Ray is just an athlete who never specialized in any position, which is going to hurt his chances of getting a shot in the NFL.
mattbags2313

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Tank but with Kiwi moving back to end i doubt they go DE.
jerseyboy257

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattbags2313 wrote:

Can never have enough pass rushers Wink especially when Osi is gone and Tuck's production is in uncertainty. Still see DE as a top need just based upon the organization philosophy, especially after such a poor performance on defense last year. I'm sure Couglin and crew aren't going to settle for that in 2013 Smile For me, I'd love to see it unfold like this:
1. DE
2. CB/OG
3. OG/CB
4. ILB
5. OLB
6. TE
7a. RB
7b. SS

Not a fan of the continuously drafting of tackles in mid/late rounds. We have Diehl, Brewer, and McCants who will all be looking for earning that spot. I think guard is more important to address, as our OL may look very different in a few years aside from Beatty. Larry Warford or Barrett Jones would be awesome.
I think corners a bigger need than safety. I think Thomas will be asked to play safety to take Phillips spot, not Mundy. Rolle, Thomas, and Will Hill/ Mundy at safety will allow us to play our 3 safety sets. At corner, there's depth now, just not great talent. Would love to find a very good corner to play opposite of Prince for the future.
mattbags2313

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jerseyboy257 wrote:
mattbags2313 wrote:

Can never have enough pass rushers Wink especially when Osi is gone and Tuck's production is in uncertainty. Still see DE as a top need just based upon the organization philosophy, especially after such a poor performance on defense last year. I'm sure Couglin and crew aren't going to settle for that in 2013 Smile For me, I'd love to see it unfold like this:
1. DE
2. CB/OG
3. OG/CB
4. ILB
5. OLB
6. TE
7a. RB
7b. SS

Not a fan of the continuously drafting of tackles in mid/late rounds. We have Diehl, Brewer, and McCants who will all be looking for earning that spot. I think guard is more important to address, as our OL may look very different in a few years aside from Beatty. Larry Warford or Barrett Jones would be awesome.
I think corners a bigger need than safety. I think Thomas will be asked to play safety to take Phillips spot, not Mundy. Rolle, Thomas, and Will Hill/ Mundy at safety will allow us to play our 3 safety sets. At corner, there's depth now, just not great talent. Would love to find a very good corner to play opposite of Prince for the future.

I see where your coming from. I'm honestly just absolutely dying for a linebacker that defenses fear we havent had one in ages. I want a wall in the middle of that defense.
dkebones

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattbags2313 wrote:
jerseyboy257 wrote:
mattbags2313 wrote:

1. DE
2. CB/OG
3. OG/CB
4. ILB
5. OLB
6. TE
7a. RB
7b. SS

I see where your coming from. I'm honestly just absolutely dying for a linebacker that defenses fear we havent had one in ages. I want a wall in the middle of that defense.

+1... x100 Laughing

i would posit for thought, while i agree that you can't have enough pass rushers, that does not necessarily mean that it has to be a down lineman who is a feared pass rusher... Wink

Jarvis Jones, I'm looking at you... Twisted Evil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: