Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Dont force it
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greg007

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Dont force it Reply with quote

This is the year of OL, DL, and DB. Grab you one or two at each position and call it a draft. Rome wasn't built in one day or one year. Stop pushing these C grade players to an A. It's like ppl are trying to make something of these players. They will be good in the right system. We don't have a SYSTEM. So grab what you can grab and lets play hard nose football.
FREDDY T

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Dont force it Reply with quote

greg007 wrote:
This is the year of OL, DL, and DB. Grab you one or two at each position and call it a draft. Rome wasn't built in one day or one year. Stop pushing these C grade players to an A. It's like ppl are trying to make something of these players. They will be good in the right system. We don't have a SYSTEM. So grab what you can grab and lets play hard nose football.

I like this method alot, however we need to swing till we hit on a QB or else we will never get better.

It will be interesting to see what happens
JagsFanInNY

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Dont force it Reply with quote

FREDDY T wrote:
greg007 wrote:

I like this method alot, however we need to swing till we hit on a QB or else we will never get better.

swinging is a good idea when the pitch is worth swinging at.
MoJo122-b-21

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Dont force it Reply with quote

FREDDY T wrote:
greg007 wrote:

Swing and miss on your quarterback with the second pick and this front office will be lame duck until they're inevitably shown the door.

With what we've seen so far, 2013 will be a lost season. Quarterback classes aren't often this weak and will undoubtedly be much stronger with next year's top five pick. There's no reason to force it this year - save that silliness for general managers with one foot out the door, at least they can justify desperation.

"We're not trying to win the AFC South, we're trying to own the AFC South."
- Gus Bradley
iPwn

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish people would quit making the "desperation" argument. It's disingenuous to the whole process. We won't draft Geno out of desperation. We will draft him if we think he is going to be successful, and only for that reason.

And wait until next year sounds great until we actually get to next year and the class isn't half as good as people are talking it up now. It happens every year. Even last year's "great QB class," people shrugged off everyone except the top two and said "wait next year" instead of drafting Tannehill and Wilson.

Geno isn't even that bad of a prospect. If I'd grading him as a prospect against previous years prospects, this is where I would have him at worst:
#3 in 2012
#2 in 2011 (FF probably would have graded him as #1 with all the hate Cam got)
#1 in 2010
#2 in 2009
#1/2 in 2008 (Grades out as well as Matt Ryan)
#1 in 2007
#2 in 2006
#1 in 2005
#2/3 in 2004 (don't remember enough about how Rivers was graded to bring him above or below for sure)
#2 in 2003

That's the last 10 years. Where are all these QBs that if we're not drafting #1 overall that we can be assured to get?

Geno is only being torn apart as a prospect because he came after last year's class, where two elite prospects came through. Most years you don't get one elite prospect at QB, let alone 2.

- Best since day one -
The road to success is always under construction - Gus Bradley
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
I wish people would quit making the "desperation" argument. It's disingenuous to the whole process. We won't draft Geno out of desperation. We will draft him if we think he is going to be successful, and only for that reason..

I never thought i'd say it but this guy gets it

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I wish people would quit making the "desperation" argument. It's disingenuous to the whole process. We won't draft Geno out of desperation. We will draft him if we think he is going to be successful, and only for that reason.
Except that is just not true. If you have a guy on your roster who you believe could be successful, then you would not take a QB even if you think he would be successful. Right now there is a guy on the roster who has admittedly put in 2 sub-par years in the NFL, but outside of that is a recent top 10 pick who has the ability to succeed in the NFL. Moving on from a player like that so quickly for a guy like Geno would be some sort of desperation move to just move on and potentially give up too quickly on a talented young player.
iPwn

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JagsFanInNY wrote:
Quote:
Except that is just not true. If you have a guy on your roster who you believe could be successful, then you would not take a QB even if you think he would be successful. Right now there is a guy on the roster who has admittedly put in 2 sub-par years in the NFL, but outside of that is a recent top 10 pick who has the ability to succeed in the NFL. Moving on from a player like that so quickly for a guy like Geno would be some sort of desperation move to just move on and potentially give up too quickly on a talented young player.
I'm struggling to see how trusting your evaluation process is desperation. If the evaluation process says that Gabbert needs to be replaced, and that Geno is a strong replacement, you replace him. You don't just let him play because he's young and maybe he'll turn it around if your evaluation of him says that you don't think he will.

Removing age from the equation, the Browns drafting Weeden was a smart move. The Panthers drafting Cam was a smart move. Maybe those incumbents weren't first round picks, but they were as productive as Gabbert has been.

- Best since day one -
JagsFanInNY

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
JagsFanInNY wrote:
Quote:
I'm struggling to see how trusting your evaluation process is desperation. If the evaluation process says that Gabbert needs to be replaced, and that Geno is a strong replacement, you replace him. You don't just let him play because he's young and maybe he'll turn it around if your evaluation of him says that you don't think he will.

Removing age from the equation, the Browns drafting Weeden was a smart move. The Panthers drafting Cam was a smart move. Maybe those incumbents weren't first round picks, but they were as productive as Gabbert has been.

Everything you said makes sense in some respect but the truth of the matter is that just because there might be a player in the draft who could come in and do better than another guy on the team based on your evaluation, it does not mean you need to grab the guy at #2. Gabbert has been brutal the least two years and I do think it is entirely plausible to think there are numerous guys who evaluations might dictate could come in and do better. However, you could get some of those guys later down, and to grab Geno at 2 simply because he could do better than Gabbert is DESPERATION. Evaluation or not, Gabbert is still only two years removed from being highly regarded as a prospect. No need to reach for a QB in a class where the drop off between the guy they grab at 2 or could get at 33 is likely to be enormous.
iPwn

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JagsFanInNY wrote:
Everything you said makes sense in some respect but the truth of the matter is that just because there might be a player in the draft who could come in and do better than another guy on the team based on your evaluation, it does not mean you need to grab the guy at #2. Gabbert has been brutal the least two years and I do think it is entirely plausible to think there are numerous guys who evaluations might dictate could come in and do better. However, you could get some of those guys later down, and to grab Geno at 2 simply because he could do better than Gabbert is DESPERATION.
And again, we will draft him if we think he is going to be successful, and only for that reason. Drafting a player that you think is going to be good to replace a player that you don't think will be is not desperation. I don't get how you can even think it is.

Quote:
Evaluation or not, Gabbert is still only two years removed from being highly regarded as a prospect.
He's also two years removed from being a prospect that many didn't like coming out, and has done next to nothing to dispel those feelings about him. If Caldwell didn't like Gabbert coming out or doesn't like him now, why should he not trust his evaluation process and instead trust Gene Smith's, who got fired for picks that include Gabbert?

Quote:
No need to reach for a QB in a class where the drop off between the guy they grab at 2 or could get at 33 is likely to be enormous.
I'm confused where you're going with this. This draft isn't top heavy, and is very deep (that old 45 first rounders being thrown around a lot). The only position that there is an assured enormous drop off would be QB. There will be good pass rushers, good corners, good LBs and good non-LT o-linemen aplenty. The drop off from Geno to the next QB is really the only enormous drop off.

- Best since day one -
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every time I read the title I think, No means no... Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:

Geno

Winner of Football's Future Big Brother II
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:

Geno

But he is 22

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:

Geno

But he is 22

Don't force it

Winner of Football's Future Big Brother II
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:

Geno

But he is 22

Don't force it

Laughing AF FTW

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: