Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jrry32 No Tavon Austin Mock - 4/4/2013
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrry32

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:07 am    Post subject: Jrry32 No Tavon Austin Mock - 4/4/2013 Reply with quote

In this mock, I am assuming that Tavon Austin is drafted before Pick #16. So I wanted to throw out a different scenario. I did not try to project trades. Here's what I would do:
NFL Draft
Round 1 Pick #16 - Chance Warmack LG Alabama

Explanation: With no Tavon Austin, this was an easy pick for me. Warmack is an extraordinarily powerful run blocker with polished techique and the ability to do it all. Ideal fit for the PBS we run. Think Alan Faneca.

Round 1 Pick #22 - Jonathan Cyprien FS FIU

Explanation: Cyprien is a very physical safety who plays to the whistle and has a bit of a nasty streak in him. However, what drew me to him is that he seems to be at his best and very comfortable in deep zone coverage. He has excellent range, good ball-skills and gets a great jump on the ball. The best part is that he reads and reacts to the run game extremely quickly from that spot and gets downhill in a hurry. Ready for the shocker here? After doing some more film study on him in the last few days, he's my #1 ranked safety prospect.

Round 2 Pick #16 - Terrance Williams WR Baylor

Explanation: I'm going to preface this by saying that I'm assuming Markus Wheaton is off the board. If he's here, I'd have a hard time not picking him. In this case, I took Williams because he's an explosive vertical threat that works the sideline as well as anyone in this class. He is your ideal Split End. His game would mesh well with Quick and Givens if Quick does develop.

Round 3 Pick #16 - Stedman Bailey WR/RS West Virginia

Explanation: They say when it rains, it pours. Well, it's pouring weapons for Sam Bradford. Bailey is a versatile WR who will take over the slot position but has the skill-set to line-up and be effective on the outside. Also can return kicks and punts. Had one of the best years in NCAA history with 25 TDs receptions in 2012. Savvy route runner that's extraordinarily physical for his size and understands how to go up and get the ball.

Round 4 Pick #16 - Gerald Hodges OLB Penn State

Explanation: Gotta take a LB from LB U. Hodges is an OLB with good athleticism and instincts. Doesn't stand out in any one category but is good at just about everything. Was very productive for PSU. Good size for a LB as well. Think he can be a very solid NFL OLB.

Round 5 Pick #16 - Brennan Williams RT North Carolina

Explanation: Williams stock took a major hit when he suffered a torn labrum near the end of the year. Prior to that, he was being talked about as high as the 2nd. With Saffold's future unsure, Williams give us a talented OT to develop in the mean time.

Round 6 Pick #16 - Zac Stacy HB Vanderbilt

Explanation: Stacy is a small, compact HB who was a very productive HB for Vanderbilt. He was the man that carried their offense. He ran for 1100+ yards and 10+ TDs each of the past 2 years. I'm honestly not sure why he's so underrated at this point as he had one of the strongest combines for a HB and looks good on film. He reminds me of Ahmad Bradshaw.

Round 7 Pick #16 - Branden Smith CB/RS Georgia

Explanation: The knock on Smith has always been that he's more of an athlete than a CB and isn't physical. Georgia has used him at HB and WR in the past to try and get the ball in his hands because he's such an explosive player with great COD skills. We play an off man scheme which is definitely a positive for a guy like Smith. I figured with Tim Walton, Jeff Fisher and Chuck Cecil, why not take a chance on a CB with elite athleticism and see if they can mold him into a great CB? It's a 7th round pick. Might as well aim high.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
Flatlyner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You had me going until Bailey in the 3rd. If it was Harper, I'd love it. Though, I'm not as sold on Cyprien as your are at this point, mostly because of the lack of real game footage I've been able to find of him. I trust your judgement on him, but have trouble with Bailey potentially over guys like Harper, Rogers, Goodwin (raw but elite athlete).
Lamarcus Joyner
Tre Mason
BEASToftheEAST4

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not too big of a fan of Bailey as well. But the rest of it looks really good to me. Cyprien is my favorite safety at this point as well.
Stacy would be great for us, but as underrated as he is, I think he is climbing up draft boards...I don't think he makes it past the fourth honestly

^El Ramster^
StLunatic88

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im still confused about the displeasure with Stedman Bailey around here? He is great in many facets in the game, from route running to hands to speed. I know his numbers are inflated because of the system & conference, but he is still a damn good WR prospect.

And honestly there is an argument to be made that Bailey is the better pure WVU wide receiver. Im not saying he is better than Tavon, who is clearly the best weapon they had, but when you break down the pure WR skillets Bailey comes out on top more often than you would think
RamFan23

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent work! Give me Stepfan Taylor in the 3rd and Denard Robinson in the 6th and I'd be going nuts.

Sig maker is RamsFan16
Hoj398

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this, rather have Elam but i can live with Cyprien
jrry32

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flatlyner wrote:
You had me going until Bailey in the 3rd. If it was Harper, I'd love it. Though, I'm not as sold on Cyprien as your are at this point, mostly because of the lack of real game footage I've been able to find of him. I trust your judgement on him, but have trouble with Bailey potentially over guys like Harper, Rogers, Goodwin (raw but elite athlete).

Rogers is gone. I love Harper but with us getting a more raw WR in Williams, the point of the Bailey pick was to get a polished, versatile WR. Harper is also somewhat raw although he is versatile.

Goodwin is also raw and is overrated because of his athleticism.

Bailey is a savvy route runner who already understands how to change speeds to sell his routes(a lot of NFL WRs don't do this properly). He is explosive in and out of his breaks, he uses his body well to shield out defenders despite being a shorter WR, he has an extra gear on the deep ball which allows him to separate extremely well on post routes and he is very good at picking up yards after the catch. He can make guys miss and break tackles.

Bailey is a very underrated WR. Does all of the little things well and has good athleticism. I've compared him to Derrick Mason before and I think that comparison works real well.

WR is a tough position to predict. If you were to ask me which WRs that I guarantee would pan out in the NFL, I would give you four names:
1. Tavon Austin
2. Keenan Allen
3. Markus Wheaton
4. Stedman Bailey

Funny thing is that 3 of the 4 are "shorter" WRs. But in watching the tape on those four players, I would be willing to guarantee that they pan out. Not in the sense of being 1200+ yard WRs but in the sense, that you're getting a guy who will be a contributor at minimum...by that...I mean 700 to 800 yards a year at worst.(spare maybe the rookie year) Basically solid #2s at worst.

Why? Have done a lot of tape review on them and their skill-sets, to me, translate extremely well to the NFL.

I'm not saying the others won't pan out. I'm only saying that I'm not as confident about them.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
asgardian

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the Stedman Bailey pick. I watched every game of his for the past two years and the kid can ball and has the football IQ to last. Chance Warmack is a no brainer in my eyes at this point. If we miss out on him, I'm going to be disappointed due to my man crush.
FRO

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jrry- I would trade up to get Rodgers if necessary. Guy is the best outside WR in the draft as far as polish and upsife
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FRO wrote:
Jrry- I would trade up to get Rodgers if necessary. Guy is the best outside WR in the draft as far as polish and upsife

Debatable. Furthermore, I doubt there will be any trading up from us.
kgarrett12486

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEE RAWL wrote:
FRO wrote:

Debatable. Furthermore, I doubt there will be any trading up from us.

Agreed, it's highly debatable that he offers the most of either one...

One could easily argue for Justin Hunter offering the most potential/upside. One could also argue Keenan Allen is the most polished/pro-ready...

IDOG_det on the sig...
ajhicks11

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bailey's touchdowns are undeniable. Sure he and Geno had a good connection in the red zone. But whose to say that Sam can't develop that with him.

One thing I think is never talked about with him is his blocking ability. The guy is a good blocker and exceptional in the open field.

What would it look like with both Tavon and Bailey?
S-jax39

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love it.
Flatlyner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
Flatlyner wrote:

Rogers is gone. I love Harper but with us getting a more raw WR in Williams, the point of the Bailey pick was to get a polished, versatile WR. Harper is also somewhat raw although he is versatile.

Goodwin is also raw and is overrated because of his athleticism.

Bailey is a savvy route runner who already understands how to change speeds to sell his routes(a lot of NFL WRs don't do this properly). He is explosive in and out of his breaks, he uses his body well to shield out defenders despite being a shorter WR, he has an extra gear on the deep ball which allows him to separate extremely well on post routes and he is very good at picking up yards after the catch. He can make guys miss and break tackles.

Bailey is a very underrated WR. Does all of the little things well and has good athleticism. I've compared him to Derrick Mason before and I think that comparison works real well.

WR is a tough position to predict. If you were to ask me which WRs that I guarantee would pan out in the NFL, I would give you four names:
1. Tavon Austin
2. Keenan Allen
3. Markus Wheaton
4. Stedman Bailey

Funny thing is that 3 of the 4 are "shorter" WRs. But in watching the tape on those four players, I would be willing to guarantee that they pan out. Not in the sense of being 1200+ yard WRs but in the sense, that you're getting a guy who will be a contributor at minimum...by that...I mean 700 to 800 yards a year at worst.(spare maybe the rookie year) Basically solid #2s at worst.

Why? Have done a lot of tape review on them and their skill-sets, to me, translate extremely well to the NFL.

I'm not saying the others won't pan out. I'm only saying that I'm not as confident about them.

Thats fair, and its not as if I don't think Bailey will be solid, I'm just higher on a few more guys in that range. Actually, your list of the most likely to pan out is what I would have except Harper in at 4. I really just see something special about him, and he's grown on me from watching more tape on him. A more athletic Boldin type of receiver

And also about Goodwin being on there, I know he is getting hyped due to his immense athletic ability, but, having a terrible passing offense & QB in college could be hiding his receiving talent. He and Bailey are neck and neck in my rankings and I gave the edge to Goodwin because, well, he's damn fast. He also impressed me at the Senior Bowl with a solid QB throwing to him.
Lamarcus Joyner
Tre Mason
yrba1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the double dip on WRs, gives Bradford more weapons in his arsenal. I'm assuming our starting safeties will be Darian Stewart at SS and Cyprien at FS amirite? Other than that, solid mock draft!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: