Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Could the 49ers offense overtake the defense this season?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
49problems

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Could the 49ers offense overtake the defense this season? Reply with quote

For the past couple of years, the 49ers have been characterized as a hard hitting defense that wins in the trenches anchored by a terrific linebacking core. However, with Crabtree emerging as a top WR in the NFL, our offensive line being one of the best in the league, and Kaepernick having a full offseason as the number one guy, do you believe our offense could overtake the defense as the more dominant aspect of this football team?

I'd venture to say that we will be top 5 in scoring this season(we were 11th last year) and that our offense will become the characterization of this team.
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both units could very easily be top 5 next season.

However, the defense will have the Smith bros healthy again which makes this a top 2-3 unit AT WORSE.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should be stout on both sides of the ball. Yes, I think that our offense will be explosive, but our defense will still be known for its toughness and tenacity. I don't think we will be known by either; I think we will be known as the most well built, most talented, and best overall team in the NFL.

Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
rudyZ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Both units could very easily be top 5 next season.

However, the defense will have the Smith bros healthy again which makes this a top 2-3 unit AT WORSE.

It's very rare a team can field top 5 units both on offense and defense. Often, scoring can be done at the expense of the defense (quick scores don't always give the D a chance to rest). There are reasons why, historically, dominant defensive teams have been conservative/heavy running teams as well. Usually, high scoring teams have opportunistic defenses. Defenses that take chances, gamble, and get turnovers which lead to fast scoring. And they pass more, scoring faster, and giving opponents more possessions. It's a simple equation: to score more, they need more possessions, which in turn gives the opponents more possessions, therefore more opportunities to score more as well.

I like what we've been having. A heavy running team, that eats up the clock, limits opponents' possessions, keeps the defense rested, therefore better. We can have that "conservative" offense while keeping the possibility for big plays. It will always be there, as long as Kaepernick is back there. But handing the ball to the RBs more, at least early in the year, will be better for the team and will keep Kap healthier.

So no. I don't believe we will be a top 5 offense, statistically. The keyword here is "statistically". We don't need to pass for 300 yards to be a great offense. If we move into the top 5 on offense, we'd probably move out of the top 5 on defense. Plus, I don,t want Kaepernick to throw for 4500 yards and 30 TDs going into contract negotiations. If he gets 3700 yards and 22 TDs, and just 7 INTs, that will be perfect for us. I want to re-sign Kap for 15-17 millions per year, not 20-22.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
48 1/2ers

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Forum!!!

I like where your going with this I think our offense could end up being a top 5 offense and depending on how our secondary reacts to the loss of Dashon it isnt out of the question that they fall out of the top 5. I dont think theres any way we become characterized by our O. We are a very balanced team

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

48 1/2ers wrote:
Welcome to the Forum!!!

I like where your going with this I think our offense could end up being a top 5 offense and depending on how our secondary reacts to the loss of Dashon it isnt out of the question that they fall out of the top 5. I dont think theres any way we become characterized by our O. We are a very balanced team

Yeah.. I think the match-up will dictate how we play. We can win any way we have to. If we need to play tight defense and ball control, we can. If we have to open up and score a lot, we can as well. If given the choice, I think Harbaugh would rather play it tight and controlled.

49problems

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
We should be stout on both sides of the ball. Yes, I think that our offense will be explosive, but our defense will still be known for its toughness and tenacity. I don't think we will be known by either; I think we will be known as the most well built, most talented, and best overall team in the NFL.

I'm really hoping you're correct man! Blessed with an amazing front office that gets the job done. Great time to be a fan of the 49ers.
49problems

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

48 1/2ers wrote:
Welcome to the Forum!!!

Thanks for the hospitality man! Looking at the pieces we have in place on offense and Roman's great play calling I really think we'll surprise some teams this year. It seemed as though last year when we played offensive juggernauts such as the Patriots it would always be labeled as an offensive v. defensive game when in reality our offense would put up 30+ points.
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
It's very rare a team can field top 5 units both on offense and defense. Often, scoring can be done at the expense of the defense (quick scores don't always give the D a chance to rest). There are reasons why, historically, dominant defensive teams have been conservative/heavy running teams as well. Usually, high scoring teams have opportunistic defenses. Defenses that take chances, gamble, and get turnovers which lead to fast scoring. And they pass more, scoring faster, and giving opponents more possessions. It's a simple equation: to score more, they need more possessions, which in turn gives the opponents more possessions, therefore more opportunities to score more as well.

I like what we've been having. A heavy running team, that eats up the clock, limits opponents' possessions, keeps the defense rested, therefore better. We can have that "conservative" offense while keeping the possibility for big plays. It will always be there, as long as Kaepernick is back there. But handing the ball to the RBs more, at least early in the year, will be better for the team and will keep Kap healthier.

So no. I don't believe we will be a top 5 offense, statistically. The keyword here is "statistically". We don't need to pass for 300 yards to be a great offense. If we move into the top 5 on offense, we'd probably move out of the top 5 on defense. Plus, I don,t want Kaepernick to throw for 4500 yards and 30 TDs going into contract negotiations. If he gets 3700 yards and 22 TDs, and just 7 INTs, that will be perfect for us. I want to re-sign Kap for 15-17 millions per year, not 20-22.

Being top 5 in both units is definitely rare, but this team is capable of accomplishing it. We obviously have a big play threat with Kaepernick at QB, but this team is still going to run the ball quite a bit. If we become better in the redzone, we should rank in the top 7 range. The defense will be elite once again regardless if we score quickly or not.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
rudyZ wrote:

Being top 5 in both units is definitely rare, but this team is capable of accomplishing it. We obviously have a big play threat with Kaepernick at QB, but this team is still going to run the ball quite a bit. If we become better in the redzone, we should rank in the top 7 range. The defense will be elite once again regardless if we score quickly or not.

I'm not sure if you were accepting my logic here, or not. If you're saying that we can be a top 7 simply by converting the redzone opportunities we left on the field last year, but by essentially running out the clock the way we did. Then maybe, yeah, we can be. I just don't want to be a quick scoring team, a la Saints or Packers. Scoring quick simply gives opponents more possessions, and that prevents the defense from being truly elite (at least statistically).

I do think our offense will improve, but not enough to outrank most of the top 10 teams in offense (we were ranked 11th in yards and scoring last year). I looked at the list, and realistically, I feel we could end up 8th or 9th. But cracking the top 5? That just doesn't seem to fit with Harbaugh's M.O.

J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I perfectly understand your logic, but this offense isn't just built to be a big play offense. Obviously we will have our fair share of explosive plays a game, but the run game will still eat a lot of the clock. Saints and Packers don't have close to the run game we have. I still expect a lot of 8-9 play scoring drives. As much as we did with Smith? No, but enough to give the defense a well needed rest from time to time.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, let's look at it this way, then. Here's last year's top 10 in scoring. Where do you think we'll rank among them this year:

1- New England
2- Denver
3- New Orleans
4- Washington
5- Green Bay
6- New York Giants
7- Atlanta
8- Houston
9- Seattle
10- Baltimore

We were 11th.

I can see us scoring more than Baltimore, Seattle and Houston. I could even see the Giants slip down a little. So there, we barely crack the top 7, in my opinion, and that's best case scenario. Unlike many of the teams ahead of us, we don't need to generate an impressive amount of points to win. Harbaugh is known for doing what it takes to win. He's not really known for overdoing it. He isn't defined by scoring or defending. He is defined by winning. When you watch the pats, packers or saints, you know they want to score. That's how the Pats kept playing their starters, evne though they were winning by 20 against the Colts, and they lost Gronkowsky for the year. He was on the field because they wanted to score. They had nothing left to win. Harbaugh, on the other hand, is more the type to run the ball 8 times in a row, when he has a 20 points lead. That's why I don't think we'll be a top 5 scoring team anytime soon. Maybe when we start losing pieces of our defense, like Justin to retirement, or other guys due to salary, when we'll have to lock up our offensive core players.. maybe then, when the defense isn't what it used to be, we'll have to score more to offset the losses, and we'll be in the top 5 in scoring, by necessity. But until then, I don't see it.

J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't predicted once we WILL be top 5, but we have a chance to do so. I said in the top 7 range, and who knows what happens with the Redskins with RG3 coming back from a ACL injury. Being top 5 on defense and offense is rare for a reason. We should come close though.........................

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now we have a hole because of Delanie's departure. WIth Eifert or Ertz we not only fill that hole, we upgrade the offense become even more explosive. Please do it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A top 5 offense does not have to be a quick scoring offense that does not allow the defense to rest. The 49ers have an offense that can eat up the clock and give the defense plenty of time to rest. The run game and short to intermediate passing game is what the 49ers do best. The play-off game against the Packers (1st qrt ) is a perfect example. The Packers offense spent very little time on the field that first qrt. What better way to keep the other team from scoring then to keep their offense off the field? The way the 49ers are built makes it very possible to have both a top 5 offense and defense.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: