Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Seahawk fan here, curious about your defense
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MARIO MANGELINI

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:33 am    Post subject: Seahawk fan here, curious about your defense Reply with quote

Are you worried about how it will perform after Justin Smith retires/play deteriorates? Honest answers please, I am very curious about this, because I do know Justin Smith is the best player on your D and he makes it run. It seems the general FF poster does not know this fact.... So am I misinformed? How are you guys feeling about your defense (specifically D-line) next season?
o_0

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin Smith still has a few years of very good play left. That said, I'm hoping we draft his replacement in the first few rounds this year and let the best dline coach in the NFL coach him up and get him ready to take over. I'm very confident in the team's ability to draft and develop talent.

✰★✰ In Harbaugh We Trust ✰★✰
BP wrote:
One late season surge and postseason run doesn't make Kaep a better QB than Carson Palmer
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin Smith is an absolute animal, but the defense will be just fine once his play slips a bit. If Aldon Smith continues to develop, and we find even a decent replacement for Justin Smith, this defense will continue to be elite.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Justin Smith is an absolute animal, but the defense will be just fine once his play slips a bit. If Aldon Smith continues to develop, and we find even a decent replacement for Justin Smith, this defense will continue to be elite.

Sad Well that kinda sucks. What's the real reason your defenses play slipped late in the year then?

o_0 wrote:
Justin Smith still has a few years of very good play left. That said, I'm hoping we draft his replacement in the first few rounds this year and let the best dline coach in the NFL coach him up and get him ready to take over. I'm very confident in the team's ability to draft and develop talent.

You sure? He's 33......

And yeah of course you're confident in your teams ability to draft talent when you have 15 picks Laughing
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Injuries to the Smith bros, but mainly the torn labrum to Aldon Smith which killed our pass rush. Then for some reason we had more mis-communication in the back end during the postseason, than we had for the entire regular season.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will not be able to replace him. He's is just too good.
I think he has 3 good years left. And he has said that he would retire over not being a 3 down player.

So once he's gone, I see a decline but not major. But we will figure it out.

new sig... sorry alex
neezy007

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seahawks fan? GET THE HELL OUT.
jk Very Happy
o_0

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aldon Smith's shoulder injury played a HUGE part in why our defense struggled late. As he went, so did our pass rush.

✰★✰ In Harbaugh We Trust ✰★✰
BP wrote:
One late season surge and postseason run doesn't make Kaep a better QB than Carson Palmer
rudyZ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Justin retires, it will initially be a big blow to the D, but it will settle down and we'll try to start building up from there again. With an healthy Justin and Aldon, we were a top 2 defense. It took only 3½ game for our D to drop to 4th (mostly thanks to a game we didn't show up for in... seattle). I believe a full year without Justin, we might be top 10-12. But without him, we'll learn to adjust and play to our strengths. We'll do things differently. But with all-universe talents like Aldon, Willis and Bowman, we can build a top 5 defense year in and year out.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
Forge

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Seahawk fan here, curious about your defense Reply with quote

MARIO MANGELINI wrote:
Are you worried about how it will perform after Justin Smith retires/play deteriorates? Honest answers please, I am very curious about this, because I do know Justin Smith is the best player on your D and he makes it run. It seems the general FF poster does not know this fact.... So am I misinformed? How are you guys feeling about your defense (specifically D-line) next season?

Justin Smith is by far the most valuable player on our defense; last year proved that beyond reproach. He's not the best player, but definitely the most valuable. I'm mildly concerned about a precipitous decline just because of last years injury; however he's never shown to be injury prone before, so I feel that he should come back at 100% and our defense should be fine. Our "weak" secondary was grossly over stated. Our secondary was just fine when we had a pass rush, but no secondary can cover the field when the qb has all day to throw.

My personal opinion is that Smith has at least 2, probably 3 years of high level play ahead of him. Look at John Abraham, who continues to excel at rushing the passer and he's 35 (granted, they have different roles). I would expect us to sign Smith to an extension at some point this year for an additional 2 years. The key will not be to replace Smith, but rather draft a couple of guys for the line that we can put in on a rotational basis confidently so that people like Smith and McDonald aren't playing 90% of the snaps. With 13 draft picks, I don't feel like that should be an issue.

We will definitely have a top 5 or top 3 defense again next year, even with the loss of Goldson.

Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
MARIO MANGELINI

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for treating me nice and giving me some good responses. They were really helpful, thanks. Didn't know Aldon's torn labrum had that big of an effect on your defense. Anyways, all responses are appreciated! Smile
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MARIO MANGELINI wrote:
Thanks everyone for treating me nice and giving me some good responses. They were really helpful, thanks. Didn't know Aldon's torn labrum had that big of an effect on your defense. Anyways, all responses are appreciated! Smile

To be honest, I think this was more of a problem than Justin Smith in the playoffs. But the two both being injured really made it worse.

Frank Gore Career Rushing List Tracker:

*Currently Ranked 21st All-Time
*Yards needed to pass #20, Warrick Dunn: 317
*Yards needed to enter Top 15: 1045
Bodhi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm much more concerned over Justin Smith's decline this most. Over those last few games and the playoffs, the defense was well below average. And while I trust Baalke, the chances of drafting the next Justin Smith are slim to none

Of course that just means our identity as a team has to evolve. So relying more on an explosive Kaepernick led offense like we did in the playoffs than a slow ball control offense like we did during the regular season
Forge

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bodhi wrote:
I think I'm much more concerned over Justin Smith's decline this most. Over those last few games and the playoffs, the defense was well below average. And while I trust Baalke, the chances of drafting the next Justin Smith are slim to none

Of course that just means our identity as a team has to evolve. So relying more on an explosive Kaepernick led offense like we did in the playoffs than a slow ball control offense like we did during the regular season

I don't think that will be a problem; if Kaep progresses, and I don't think any of us have any reason to believe he won't, I think we are capable of putting up 30 a game and having a very Saints/Packers type offense with just the personnel we have currently. I think one of the Matts indicated that Harbaugh was looking to use fewer two tight end formations this year (which basically means nothing since Harbaugh isn't necessarily the type to give that information out without having some sort of Intelligence agency like security clearance). If that is true though, I would expect to see more 3 wr sets and more explosiveness; we will always be a balanced running/passing team though. Harbaugh just seems to prefer that; he was the same way at stanford and had a guy considered to be the best college qb in a decade.

Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:
MARIO MANGELINI wrote:

To be honest, I think this was more of a problem than Justin Smith in the playoffs. But the two both being injured really made it worse.

Yep, I was one of the few saying that as Aldon's injury happened. No disrespect to Justin Smith, but it was the emergence of Aldon that took this defense to another level. Now, obviously Justin along with Patrick, NaVarro, and the rest of the guys were huge as well. However, our biggest weakness before Aldon was drafted was the lack of pass rush. Once he tore his labrum, the lack of pass rush showed yet again. The run defense was fine even with Justin not being fully healthy.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: