You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Monk's Mock Offseason 2014 3.0

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject: Monk's Mock Offseason 2014 3.0 Reply with quote

(Disclaimer) This potential offseason will be very fluid as the GM is announced, players are signed, their stock goes up or down, and perceived needs change. I understand it is extremely early in the off-season, but wanted to get a start on evaluating who was going to be available and positions that should or could be addressed in this off-season.

Cut

Matt Moore (QB) – I like Matt More and think he is one of the classier guys in the NFL especially with how his relationship with Tannehill has develop, but he is pricey as a back-up and the money would be better served in other areas. (total savings 4,000,000)

Demitri Patterson (CB) – He was great when he played, but was injured far too often and it is time for the rooks to step up. (Total savings 5,400,000)

Johnathan Martin (?) – It is going to happen. (Total savings – 345,000)

Daniel Thomas (RB) – Has never developed into the player many thought he would be. (Total Savings 816,000)

Resign

Brent Grimes (CB) – His age is a factor, but one could not tell last season. The guy was simply outstanding and should be priority number one.

John Jerry (G) - This is simply a depth signing of someone who can compete for a starting job, but most likely fill in in case of injury

Paul Soliai (DT) - Run stopper, will be cheaper than Starks and as much as I wanted to move on from 30 D-lineman he may just be needed for a few more seasons. He provides veteran leadership and is one of the better liked guys on the team.

Nolan Carroll DB – Not spectacular, but has improved over his career, he knows the system and should be pretty cheap. Having a stable of CB’s can’t hurt and with letting Patterson hefty price tag go the Dolphins will need someone who has experience.

Sign

Brandon Albert (OT) – Couple of things made me switch this move; one, it looks like Veldheer will stay with the Raiders and two, apparently Philbin wanted him last off-season, hopefully he is brought into the fold.

Jarius Byrd (S) – Making a bold move and feel with the cuts I made his contract could be doable. Byrd could pair nicely with Jones providing one of the better Safety Tandems in the NFL.

John Kuhn (FB) – Excellent blocker knows Philbin and helps in both the run games as a lead blocker and passing game as a blocker and receiver out of the backfield.

Jon Asamoah (G) – I know what you are thinking….there is no way the Dolphins can afford him as well as the resigns and other FA pickups, but check this out….he didn’t even start the last half of the season for KC, it wasn’t because he was bad, but because Schwartz was just that good.

Draft

1 (19) Zack Martin (OT) – This is becoming a more popular pick as the senior bowl goes on and Martin continues to impress. He has a lot of versatility and can play either guard or Tackle. A lot of experience, good athleticism and would be a very good fit for the ZBS. I see him coming in and starting at RT

2 (50)C.J. Fiedorowicz (TE) – He's moved into the second round for me....too much size, athleticism and ability to last until the third. Yes, the Phins have drafted TE’s in the last 2 drafts and Clay emerged as….”The Claymaker” last season, but so far the previous 2 draft picks have been very underwhelming and a player to compliment Clay would be ideal. C.J. is one of the better all-around TE’s in the draft. He’s a better blocker then the big 3 and has as good of hands as them as well. He is a very large target (6’6” 265) and should provide some much needed help in the red-zone and in the seam.

3 (81)Chris Borland – Was very impressive at the senior bowl week practices. I know the team is in deep with the current crop of LB’s financially, but an upgrade, especially at the MLB position is needed. Granted he lacks ideal size, he is very instinctual and has an extremely high motor. Putting him at MLB will allow the Dolphins to move Ellerbe to OLB (his more natural position). It doesn’t hurt that he reminds many of Zach Thomas.

4 (112) David Fales (QB) – There is a lot to like about Fales and would be nice project to work with behind Tannehill. He possess good pocket awareness and has a skill set suited for the WCO.

5 (143) James Wilder Jr (RB) – Big, powerful and runs “angry” has decent vision and will fight for extra yards and has the power to do so.

6 (174) Dri Archer (RB/WR/KR) – This guy is small, but simply explosive. Should be able to help on special teams as a returner as well on offense for a creative OC.

7 (211) Austin Wentworth (OT) – Can’t have enough guys competing for positions on the offensive line.

Depth Chart

QB: Ryan Tannehill, David Fales
RB: Lamar Miller, James Wilder JR
FB: John Kuhn
WR1: Mike Wallace
WR2: Brian Hartline
WR: Brandon Gibson, Reshard Matthews
TE: Charles Clay, C.J. Fiedorowicz
LT: Brandon Albert
LG: Jon Asamoah, Nate Garner
C: Mike Pouncey
RG: John Jerry, Sam Brenner
RT: Zack Martin, Austin Wentworth

LE: Derrick Wake
DT: Paul Soliai
DT: Jered Odrick
RE: Dion Jordan, Olivier Vernon
LB: Koa Misi
LB: Chris Borland
LB: Danell Ellerbe, Philip Wheeler
CB: Brent Grimes, Nolan Carroll
CB: Jamar Taylor, Will Davis
S: Reshad Jones
S: Jairus Byrd

Last edited by ViolentMonk71 on Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:47 am; edited 5 times in total
mountainpd

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always good to see other peoples thoughts and I appreciate it's an early mom so a lot will change.

My thoughts. I can't see the raiders allowing Veldheer to leave them. I understand they have plenty of cap space this year but imagine he will be tagged.

Like the Asamoah pick up and agree 100% with that Grimes will be resigned and would be good to pick up a full back at some point.

My favourite draft pick is Su'a Filo.

^^^Kempes^^^
BILLAY!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if XSF lasts to pick 50 and Miami grab's him I will be very happy. I think he's going in the late first round though.
bpastermack

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BILLAY! wrote:
if XSF lasts to pick 50 and Miami grab's him I will be very happy. I think he's going in the late first round though.

Most Mocks I have seen have him going in the 3rd round though? I think there is a good chance one of either XSF or Gabe Jackson will be ther in the second round and both would be great LG prospects. I'd look to sign a FA LT, resign Clabo, and sign a FA RG, then look for a LG in round 2 and a RT top compete with Clabo in the mid rounds. Maybe someone like Hurst or the guy from N Dakota St?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bpastermack wrote:
BILLAY! wrote:

Most Mocks I have seen have him going in the 3rd round though? I think there is a good chance one of either XSF or Gabe Jackson will be ther in the second round and both would be great LG prospects. I'd look to sign a FA LT, resign Clabo, and sign a FA RG, then look for a LG in round 2 and a RT top compete with Clabo in the mid rounds. Maybe someone like Hurst or the guy from N Dakota St?

i'm pretty sure Cooper was a 3rd rounder in a lot of mocks this time last year. it's still early. i got a feeling when draft day approaches, XSF is going to start climbing up the boards and he may even jump ahead of gabe jackson. guards don't get a whole lot of love. this guy looks good though.
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Monk's Mock Offseason 2014 1.0 Reply with quote

ViolentMonk71 wrote:
(Disclaimer) This potential offseason will be very fluid as the GM is announced, players are signed, their stock goes up or down, and perceived needs change. I understand it is extremely early in the off-season, but wanted to get a start on evaluating who was going to be available and positions that should or could be addressed in this off-season.

Resign

Brent Grimes (CB) – His age is a factor, but one could not tell last season. The guy was simply outstanding and should be priority number one.

Chris Clemons (S) – Still has top notch closing speed, while his 2013 campaign didn't “wow” anyone he still solid.

John Jerry (G) - This is simply a depth signing of someone who can compete for a starting job, but most likely fill in in case of injury

Sign

Jered Veldheer (OT) – I really wanted to put B. Albert or E. Monroe here, but I think Velheer will be slightly cheaper. He has been a very solid to very good blind side protector. He was injured most of last season, but played the end of the season.

John Kuhn (FB) – Excellent blocker knows Philbin and helps in both the run games as a lead blocker and passing game as a blocker and receiver out of the backfield.

Jon Asamoah (G) – I know what you are thinking….there is no way the Dolphins can afford him as well as the resigns and other FA pickups, but check this out….he didn’t even start the last half of the season for KC, it wasn’t because he was bad, but because Schwartz was just that good.

Marshall Newhouse (OT) – Another tackle signed to come in and compete for a starting position, he started every game last season for the Packer at left tackle, but shouldn’t be as high priced as other options.

Draft

1 (19) Ra’Shede Hageman (DT) – With allowing both Starks and Soliai to leave (age and price was a factor) the Dolphins need to draft an interior lineman that can be a force. Hageman is a physical freak who can play both the 1 and 3. Gets a great push and is just scratching the surface of his potential. Pair him in the middle with Odrick along with the Wake, Vernon, Jordan rotation on the outside and the Dolphins may not miss a beat.

2 (50) Xavier Su’a-Filo (OG) – Even with picking up so many lineman in FA I feel the Dolphin still need to address the position in the draft Su’a-Filo is very powerful and anchors well, but also has the athleticism to pull and get to the second level. Due to his strength and athleticism I expect him to come in right away and compete for one of the starting guard positions.

3 (81) C.J. Fiedorowicz (TE) – Yes, the Phins have drafted TE’s in the last 2 drafts and Clay emerged as….”The Claymaker” last season, but so far the previous 2 draft picks have been very underwhelming and a player to compliment Clay would be ideal. C.J. is one of the better all-around TE’s in the draft. He’s a better blocker then the big 3 and has as good of hands as them as well. He is a very large target (6’6” 265) and should provide some much needed help in the red-zone and in the seam.

4 (112) Jordan Tripp (OLB) – I know the team is in deep with the current crop of LB’s financially, but an upgrade, especially at the OLB position is needed (at least solid competition). Tripp has many of the tools one looks for at backer; good range, speed, an excellent tackler and most importantly, instincts.

5 (143) James Wilder Jr (RB) – Big, powerful and runs “angry” has decent vision and will fight for extra yards and has the power to do so.

6 (174) Dri Archer (RB/WR/KR) – This guy is small, but simply explosive. Should be able to help on special teams as a returner as well on offense for a creative OC.

7 (211) Austin Wentworth (OT) – Can’t have enough guy competing for positions on the offensive line.

Rashede Hageman. I was on the draft Sheldon Richardson hype last year so this pick will make me forget about it. I love his upside and love that he is SCHEME DIVERESED he can be a 43 DT and a great 34 end. He reminds me of Calais Campell so big and athletic.

Xavier Su Filo. I like him almost as much as I liked Kyle long last year. Su Filo is one of the few lineman I believe is a plug and play guy right away.

CJ Fiedowitz. Nice consolation prize to not getting one of the top 3 and just happens to be a better blocker then all 3 and kirk ferentz always has his players block with great technique.

Jordon Tripp. Have yet to do work on him but hearing goo things and god knows how much I hate all 3 of our linebackers.

James Wilder.. As much as I like the other picks this might be my favorite for the simple fact is he will run you OVER and let everybody in the stadium know about it he is a passionate football player. He has what we don't have he is a DOG out there. He can help us in 3rd-1 and goal line.
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the end….I do think the top 3 picks will go much higher then where I have them…I believe Hageman ends up going top 10 (his combine number should be freakishly good) XSF could work his way into the end of the first round and CJ with his size and overall ability should end up in the 2nd. I like XSF so much that if he ends up rising as high as some predict I would take him in the first (think Bears and Long last draft)

As far as Wilder….I do hope the Phins pick him up…the guys runs like he possessed to pick up every yard he can….he's going to fall forward and he's going to pick up positive yards.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated with some changes to free agency and the draft based on senior bowl performances and players beginning to receive higher draft grades...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With grabbing Albert in FA is a OT a real need in the 1st? I think we could grab a guy in the 3rd that would be just as good at RT. If Ebron is there I think he is a must take pick.

Adopt a Dolphin: RB Knowshon Moreno

Rushing: 24- 134yds 5.6 Avg 1TD
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaytotha wrote:
With grabbing Albert in FA is a OT a real need in the 1st? I think we could grab a guy in the 3rd that would be just as good at RT. If Ebron is there I think he is a must take pick.

Yes...The Dolphins have only one legitimate stater on the offensive line (Pouncey) everyone else would be lucky to make another teams roster...filling those needs is a must and having a good mix of Vets (Pouncey, Albert and Asamoah) with a couple of younger guys (Martin and Halapio) could work out nice. Also Martin is a very good fit for a ZBS and too good of a prospect at 19 to pass off (meaning he could be seen as filling a need and BPA)

As far as Ebron...he will not make it past the Jets if he lasts that long which I highly doubt.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like your 2.0 offseason. I think Martin is skyrocketing up everyone's board and 19 is a great spot for him. I think I agree with Mayock that he can start at tackle, but would be an All-Pro at guard. I'd put him at LG next to Albert and try drafting that RT in rounds 3/4/5. Seantrel Hendersen, Morgan Moses, Michael Schofield and the like will be available.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViolentMonk71 wrote:
Jaytotha wrote:

Yes...The Dolphins have only one legitimate stater on the offensive line (Pouncey) everyone else would be lucky to make another teams roster...filling those needs is a must and having a good mix of Vets (Pouncey, Albert and Asamoah) with a couple of younger guys (Martin and Halapio) could work out nice. Also Martin is a very good fit for a ZBS and too good of a prospect at 19 to pass off (meaning he could be seen as filling a need and BPA)

As far as Ebron...he will not make it past the Jets if he lasts that long which I highly doubt.

I don't mind the Martin pick as long as it isn't as a LT, I love Martin as a LG. Him and Sua-Filo are my favorite guard prospects for the Dolphins as of right now.

I saw a comparison to Andy Levitre, which I feel is pretty accurate. Both played LT at school, but have short arms to play there as a pro. They have similar size, although Martin is a bit taller, have great technique and underrated athleticism.
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

candyman wrote:
ViolentMonk71 wrote:
Jaytotha wrote:

I don't mind the Martin pick as long as it isn't as a LT, I love Martin as a LG. Him and Sua-Filo are my favorite guard prospects for the Dolphins as of right now.

I saw a comparison to Andy Levitre, which I feel is pretty accurate. Both played LT at school, but have short arms to play there as a pro. They have similar size, although Martin is a bit taller, have great technique and underrated athleticism.

I see him as a RT, but I feel with his flexibility to play several positions, the Phins will be in a good spot if he does play guard...

I thought on Sentral Henderson and would have put him there in the 3rd or 4th if the Dolphins had a line coach I believed could mold him into the all-pro he has the talent to be...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Monk's Mock Offseason 2014 3.0 Reply with quote

Updated with changes to free agency and draft.

Added "cuts"

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: