Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

FFMD 13 Part II – New York Football Giants War Room
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ny92jefferis

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: FFMD 13 Part II – New York Football Giants War Room Reply with quote

New York Football Giants

Front Office

General Manager - ny92jefferis
Head Coach - Save The Hero a.k.a. STH
Assistant GM - Acgott
Director of Scouting Affairs - fracdaddy14

Draft Selections

Rnd. 1 Pick 19 - *Sheldon Richardson, DT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vzmn3xzN9vc

Rnd. 2 Pick 17 - *Eddie Lacy (Injured), RB
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Oh-KdpxivI

Rnd. 3 Pick 19 - *David Bakhtiari, OG
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEwGbfY8rQ8

Rnd. 4 Pick 19 - *traded to Carolina

Rnd. 5 Pick 19 - *Jelani Jenkins, OLB
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SXCVI5IJJE

Rnd. 6 Pick 19 - Robert Lester, SS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRzzXYyA16M

Rnd. 7 Pick 19 - Rontez Miles, FS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrqfAgHo82o

Round 7 Pick 47 - Johnny Adams, CB
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vuCdYkbxLw

UDFA: Quinn Sharp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KG-iSDL1UI

Trades:

4th round pick / Marvin Austin DT / Conditional 2014 pick in exchange for Carolina Panthers linebacker Jon Beason

Kris Adams, WR / Jamie Childers, TE in exchange for Carolina Panthers right tackle, Byron Bell
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYd8mzD5qnE

My philosophy:

Heading into the mock, we wanted to make improvements to our pass rush, rush defense, offensive line depth and secondary. Prior to last season, the Giants pass rush was second to none, last season it struggled. Justin Tuck got a lot of that blame and rightfully so being the leader of the defense. Nagging injuries slowed him down, but the largest issue wasn’t the injuries or perceived declining play from Justin Tuck, it was the absence of Chris Canty. Canty brought a presence to the interior that made it possible for single coverage on the edge. Prior to us stepping in the Giants had already been hard at work in the free agency in signing Cullen Jenkins and Mike Patterson, both veterans that have produced at high levels within their careers. Drafting Sheldon Richardson gives the Giants a young talented interior pass rusher, whom we expect to compete for the starting job, yet we feel that we have the depth at defensive tackle that we can bring Sheldon in on situational down and distance plays and utilize his pass rushing abilities allowing him to grow within the system. Another thing we did is something rumored by the Giants is moving Mathias Kiwanuka back to defensive end. With the departure of Osi, and the way the draft unraveled, our best option at adding depth to the defensive end position was already on our roster.

The next order of business was addressing the middle linebacker position. The Giants bringing in Dan Conner should tell you that the Giants front office doesn’t value the position as much as you or I might. But can you really disagree with Jerry’s philosophy of having outstanding front four and a solid secondary with an average linebacker core? I looked over several of the linebackers in this draft and came to the conclusion that, the value wasn’t there at 19 and we disliked the idea of having to reach for a player of need at any point in the draft. So we packaged a deal to the Panthers for Jon Beason, who had just come off his second consecutive IR season. Personally, I think Jon is one of the best middle linebackers playing in the league. He’s 28 years old and prior to the injuries was putting up pro bowl numbers every season. We gave up a lot to get him as other teams were interested in his services as well, but I also feel the payoff is off the charts, providing he can stay on the field. Definitely a risk reward trade that hopefully favors us at the end of the year.

With Mathias moving back to end, we also felt it was necessary to bring in another linebacker via the draft. Jenkins is a versatile linebacker with good range and a high motor. He’s a solid in coverage, has the speed and athleticism to cover tight ends and backs. Good burst of speed to blitz the passer. I think his speed and side line to side line ability is an upgrade over Kiwanunka’s size and strength, making Jenkins the better linebacker against the read option.

In keeping with the defense, we felt that our secondary needed a boost; the Giants had already brought in Aaron Ross from the FA to deepen our cornerback core. We signed safeties Robert Lester and Rontez Miles. The depth at safety wasn’t deep at all and with Rolle carrying such a large salary of 7 million these draftees could potentially be his replacement next season. Cornerback Johnny Adams was also drafted, very sound zone coverage type that plays bigger than his size. He’ll need to get bigger to see significant playing time on any roster, but I really liked his prowess in the secondary. I think the NFL.com analysis on him says it best. “Wiry-tough corner who plays bigger than he measures. Long arms for his frame. Shows foot work at the line to stick with head fakes and hesitation moves. Creates contact to stay with his man down the sideline. Has excellent ball skills and concentration. Comes off his man to play the ball, snatching passes away from his frame, tracks the ball over his shoulder. Aware defender, comes off his man, or the first read in zone, to make plays. Also undercuts receivers on short passes to step in front. Transitions forward from pedal to corral receivers after the catch and avoid their blocks. Plays a lot of snaps in the slot, and is a regular Blitzer because he is a solid tackler and can pack a punch. Incredibly effective tackler in the run game. Seeks the ball carrier and looks to invite contact. Attacks the edge on plays coming his way and regularly sticks his nose between the tackles when uncovered. Gives effort, has a bit of a burst to make tackles. This wiry All-Big Ten zone corner owns the athleticism to stick with pro receivers and can make quarterbacks pay for poor throws.”
Shifting gears to the offense, the Giants lost a vital part of their offense last year after deciding to cut ties with the injury plagued back, Ahmad Bradshaw. He’ll be missed for sure, if not just for his love of the game. At the time of the mock the Giants had Wilson and Brown on the roster with some lower graded backs for depth. When the second round rolled around it was clear who are target player was going to be. Eddie Lacy brings a different type of back than Wilson’s style of play but we felt that it was a great merge of talents. Lacy has a great understanding of following the blockers and allowing the holes to develop. He has an explosive burst that launches him through deteriorating lanes and off to the races. Lacy is a first round talent drafted in the mid second round.

The Giants offensive line is aging with a couple working on one year deals, it was clear we needed to add some depth. Drafting David in the third round we believe gives us a potential starter next season at left guard as well as a player that could swing out to left tackle in a pinch. The other talent we brought in came from a trade. Byron Bell is a person I feel that could start right now for us at right tackle. He doesn’t flash you with quickness but he does a solid job of playing within his zone and doesn’t let much get by him. Has the overall strength to latch on and drive the defender up field to create rushing lanes.

I would of loved to had the time to bring in more than what I did in the UDFA but time constraints didn’t allow for it. We did however; bring in who I think is a great talent in the special teams department. Oklahoma State is one of the few states that actually provide full rides scholarships to kickers and punters. Quinn Sharp is someone IMO that could start in this league immediately at punter or kicker. Giants currently have 3 kickers on the roster and I’m not a fan of any of them.

Roster:

QB Eli Manning // David Carr // Curtis Painter
RB David Wilson // Eddy Lacy // Andre Brown // Da'Rel Scott // Ryan Torain
FB Henry Hynoski
TE Brandon Myers // Adrien Robinson // Bear Pascoe // Larry Donnell
WR Hakeem Nicks // Louis Murphy // Brandon Collins
WR Rueben Randle // Kevin Hardy
SLOT Victor Cruz // Jerrel Jernigan
LT Will Beatty // David Diehl // Matt McCants
LG Kevin Boothe // David Bakhtiari // Chris DeGeare // Stephen Goodin
C David Baas // Jim Cordle
RG Chris Snee // Brandon Mosley // Selvish Capers // Michael Jasper
RT David Diehl // James Brewer // Byron Bell // Levy Adcock
LE Justin Tuck // Mathias Kiwanuka // Adrian Tracy // Justin Trattou
NT Linval Joseph // Shaun Rogers
DT Cullen Jenkins // Sheldon Richardson // Mike Patterson // Markus Kuhn // Bobby Skinner
RE Jason Pierre-Paul // Adewale Ojomo // Matt Broha
WLB Jacquian Williams // Jelani Jenkins
MLB Jon Beason // Dan Connor // Jake Muasau
SLB Keith Rivers // Mark Herzlich // Spencer Paysinger
CB Corey Webster // Terrell Thomas // Antonio Dennard // Buddy Jackson
CB Prince Amukamara // Aaron Ross // Terrence Frederick
SLOT CB Jayron Hosley // Johnny Adams // Laron Scott // Trumaine McBride
FS Antrel Rolle // Robert Lester // Rontez Miles // Will Hill
SS Stevie Brown // Ryan Mundy // Tyler Sash // David Caldwell
K Josh Brown // Quinn Sharp // David Buehler // Jake Rogers
P Steve Weatherford // Quinn Sharp
LS Zak DeOssie
Kick Return: David Wilson // Johnny Adams
Punt Return: Rontez Miles

Last edited by ny92jefferis on Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:28 pm; edited 10 times in total
Acgott

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the thread from last year's FFMD II
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=486388

Here is the amazing work done by STH on FFMD I
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=512156
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=515338

FFMD II is a lot simpler as you do not have Free Agency to deal with, but it STILL requires a lot of work

I will try to help out when I can.
ny92jefferis

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acgott wrote:
Here is the thread from last year's FFMD II
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=486388

Here is the amazing work done by STH on FFMD I
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=512156
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=515338

FFMD II is a lot simpler as you do not have Free Agency to deal with, but it STILL requires a lot of work

I will try to help out when I can.

It should be pretty fun, I ran something similar to this years ago in another forum. Thanks for the links, I'll look them over in more detail tomorrow. Any help would be much appreciated.

What's the census on the trade block for the Giants?
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job getting the War Room going.

You veteran Giant fans on this board should jump in to help. If not I'm going to start recruiting Eagle and Cowboy fans to volunteer for spots. Don't let it come to that...
Save The Hero

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheVillain112 wrote:

You veteran Giant fans on this board should jump in to help. If not I'm going to start recruiting Eagle and Cowboy fans to volunteer for spots. Don't let it come to that...

No need for that at all.

I can help out with anything you need ny92jefferis. I've been the GM of FFMD 1 last year and this year and have been involved for quite a bit. Only thing to keep in mind with this is that every vote counts and not to make a move without voting with the staff first. If you do that you should be fine. With that said congrats on getting the job and Ill be any position you need.

^Stone85 on the sig^
Acgott

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STH

do you still have the original google document that had our original big board. I think that would be really useful for this
Save The Hero

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acgott wrote:
STH

do you still have the original google document that had our original big board. I think that would be really useful for this

Yeah, give me a minute to fix it.

^Stone85 on the sig^
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save The Hero wrote:
TheVillain112 wrote:

No need for that at all.

I can help out with anything you need ny92jefferis. I've been the GM of FFMD 1 last year and this year and have been involved for quite a bit. Only thing to keep in mind with this is that every vote counts and not to make a move without voting with the staff first. If you do that you should be fine. With that said congrats on getting the job and Ill be any position you need.

Glad to hear. I told him to shoot you a PM because you did a great job running the Giants in FFMD I...
ny92jefferis

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheVillain112 wrote:

Thanks for stirring up the pot of EAST haterade. I needed it.
ny92jefferis

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save The Hero wrote:
TheVillain112 wrote:

No need for that at all.

Sounds great. Assistant GM

First order of business is I noted the Giants roster isn't complete. I've found a pretty solid roster/ depth chart at http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/

and I'll be updating that before the roster lock on the 5th.
Save The Hero

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheVillain112 wrote:
Glad to hear. I told him to shoot you a PM because you did a great job running the Giants in FFMD I...

Thanks. Yeah I just saw the war room and posted in it. Glad to help.

^Stone85 on the sig^
Save The Hero

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ny92jefferis wrote:

First order of business is I noted the Giants roster isn't complete. I've found a pretty solid roster/ depth chart at http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/

Thanks, I sent you a pm with the information needed for this, the way I used it. Feel free to use it as you want (or not at all).

^Stone85 on the sig^
ny92jefferis

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save The Hero wrote:
ny92jefferis wrote:

Thanks, I sent you a pm with the information needed for this, the way I used it. Feel free to use it as you want (or not at all).

Google docs allow for formulas to work in excel?
Save The Hero

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ny92jefferis wrote:
Save The Hero wrote:
ny92jefferis wrote:

Google docs allow for formulas to work in excel?

I have no clue. I don't have excel.

^Stone85 on the sig^
fracdaddy14

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll help out as a scout, etc. I won't be away like in FFMD I, I'll try and help out as best as possible.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 1 of 16

Jump to: