Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

49ers sign former Raiders, Eagles CB Nnamdi Asomugha
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Jeff Deeney ‏@PFF_Jeff 15 Mar
C. Dahl visit make some sense. Goldson only played 12.3% of run snaps in the box in 2012 (3rd lowest), Dahl was the lowest at 11.0% #49ers

This is for regular season, and if you include playoffs, it went down to 7.8% I believe.

Sure, there are instances where you end up close to the LOS even though you start in the back end. Goldson missed quite a few tackles doing just that, but Rogers is a fine tackler in his own right. We haven't seen him put in that position so it is a fair point.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Quote:
Jeff Deeney ‏@PFF_Jeff 15 Mar
C. Dahl visit make some sense. Goldson only played 12.3% of run snaps in the box in 2012 (3rd lowest), Dahl was the lowest at 11.0% #49ers

This is for regular season, and if you include playoffs, it went down to 7.8% I believe.

Sure, there are instances where you end up close to the LOS even though you start in the back end. Goldson missed quite a few tackles doing just that, but Rogers is a fine tackler in his own right. We haven't seen him put in that position so it is a fair point.

Dahl also played SS for the Rams which makes the stat kind of irrelevant to his role with us but whatever.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. I dont see a FS in any shape or form. I'd be shocked if they ever attempted to make him one, even for package specific purposes. Stay tuned...
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dahl is irrelevant here, but the guy was just comparing how we used Goldson.

Quote:
@PFF Reg season snaps in the box in 2012 (when lined up at safety only): Goldson 8.5%, Whitner: 15.8%, Dahl 9.0%

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

757-NINER wrote:
The Bucs moved Rhode Barber to FS last year...didn't help them one bit. It doesn't work for everyone.

Bucs fans were very happy with Barber at FS. That wasn't their problem.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
757-NINER wrote:
The Bucs moved Rhode Barber to FS last year...didn't help them one bit. It doesn't work for everyone.

Agreed. All reports I heard were very positive for barber at safety

Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
757-NINER

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
757-NINER wrote:

I actually was referring to the Bengals and Nate Clements. Totally brain fart on my part. Got my "B" teams confused. Barber did play well for them last year.
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So now that news has come out that cutting Rogers will only cost us 1.25 million, anyone changing their opinion on this issue?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
So now that news has come out that cutting Rogers will only cost us 1.25 million, anyone changing their opinion on this issue?

Not really for me yet. If there were a free agent I was really coveting then maybe...but right now do we really need the money? May as well let everybody battle it out. Did this change the future dead money hit at all?

Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:

Not really for me yet. If there were a free agent I was really coveting then maybe...but right now do we really need the money? May as well let everybody battle it out. Did this change the future dead money hit at all?

I don't know about the dead money issue just yet, but obviously we want Rogers to battle it out in the preseason with Nnamdi and others. However, last week there was talk NO WAY Rogers gets released even if he is outplayed in TC/Preseason.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:

I would be all over that. But first see what we have with nnamdi and brown in the slot.

But I think there is still more dead money than that

new sig... sorry alex
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm not saying to cut Rogers right now, but IF he is outplayed, it is a possibility now.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:

I could have sworn there was a lot of dead money if we cut him with guarantees before. Wouldn't the 1.25 guaranteed ADD to making it more difficult to cut him? I never thought his base was guaranteed.
-Not taking this off until the 49ers win #6

Last edited by 49ersfan on Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
757-NINER

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Forge wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:

I don't know about the dead money issue just yet, but obviously we want Rogers to battle it out in the preseason with Nnamdi and others. However, last week there was talk NO WAY Rogers gets released even if he is outplayed in TC/Preseason.

It really depends. I mean what would be the point of freeing up cap space in September? As a coach and GM, you pretty much know what your team will look like then and who fits where so additions are possible, but rare. And too many CBs is a good thing to have. We've been very fortunate with injuries in the secondary as of late. Its a bad idea to let a good player walk just because you have other good players. I can see them asking him to restructure before they just outright releasing him. Rogers and Cully are scheduled to be the only CBs on the roster after the 2013 season. Aso, Brown, Cox, and Brock will all be UFAs after next year. You have to consider that as well at this point.

I still say Aso is more competition for Brown, rather than Rogers. And even with that, Brown was our best CB last year according to coverage stats. But I feel Baalke wants to get bigger guys on the outside. That would explain the interest with Sean Smith in free agency. Brown excels in off-man coverage. Aso excels in press man. Different physical builds and skill-sets, but both ideal at RCB.

Rogers is still a good CB. If you get him off the slot keep him on the outside, I think he can easily replicate his 2011 form. The question then becomes, who moves to the slot. Cox? My personal favorite, Cully? Brock?

Brown is out of the question, IMO. Before Fangio arrived here, we had him in the slot for years and he was a liability. His career didn't take off until Fangio simplified his assignments. We put him outside exclusively, on the weak side of the field permanently, and his play and overall value increased ten fold. I don't see them straying from that just because Aso has entered the picture.

I think its likely we do the same thing with Aso as well...one side of the field only, strictly on the outside and let him compete at that position.
oldman9er

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ the 1.25 mil on Rogers was just on his guaranteed salary. The signing bonuses have already been paid out and would still count too harshly as dead money. I don't see a good way out but to keep things as they are till next season.

This is a good site to bookmark if you look into cap situations v

http://www.overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Carlos%20Rogers&Position=CB&Team=49ers

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I missing something? Do we need to cut Rogers? I don't get why we would...

Anyways, I'm very excited about this signing...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: