Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Lions sign former Browns, Jags DT C.J. Mosley to 2-year deal
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Lions sign former Browns, Jags DT C.J. Mosley to 2-year deal Reply with quote

Quote:
Veteran DT CJ Mosley, released by JAX yesterday, will be on a plane tonight to visit with The Lions - per source close to the situation.

http://twitter.com/MichelleBeisner/statuses/319186714037985280

***Update***
Quote:
Former Jaguars DT C.J. Mosley is expected to sign with the Lions, per source.

https://twitter.com/caplannfl/status/319524626902417408

***Update***
Quote:
DT C.J Mosley has signed a two-year contract with the Lions after his visit today.

http://twitter.com/ttwentyman/statuses/319536090107215873
Tom Brady Tribute

Last edited by Billy Spikes on Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:45 pm; edited 4 times in total
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superbowl here we come

R.I.P. Stylish
LionsFTW

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would give us an INSANE DT rotation. PFF graded him out in the top 15 out of all DTs and NTs last year. Duh was rated 4th and Fairley was rated 5th.
stylish313

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFTW wrote:
That would give us an INSANE DT rotation. PFF graded him out in the top 15 out of all DTs and NTs last year. Duh was rated 4th and Fairley was rated 5th.
He's a run-stuffer, not a pass-rusher. He was graded negatively in 14 of the 17 games last season, and only had 5 QB hits, 4 QB hurries.

Kind of another player you look at and say, how does he fit into what we're trying to do?
LionsFTW

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
LionsFTW wrote:
He's a run-stuffer, not a pass-rusher. He was graded negatively in 14 of the 17 games last season, and only had 5 QB hits, 4 QB hurries.

Kind of another player you look at and say, how does he fit into what we're trying to do?

Exactly. He replaces SLH. Goal line lineman. Perfect for our 3rd DT.
stylish313

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFTW wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
LionsFTW wrote:

Well, SLH was pretty much his polar opposite. Doesn't look like they're trying to replace him, but rather go into an entirely different direction.
DetroitPride26

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
LionsFTW wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
LionsFTW wrote:

Well, SLH was pretty much his polar opposite. Doesn't look like they're trying to replace him, but rather go into an entirely different direction.

Polar Opposite? SLH was run stuffer and that was it...I never saw him touch quarterback all season
theuntouchable

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DetroitPride26 wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
LionsFTW wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
LionsFTW wrote:

Polar Opposite? SLH was run stuffer and that was it...I never saw him touch quarterback all season

Actually you're both kinda right and wrong. The thing SLH was good at doing was controlling the LOS whether it was pass or run. He had good skills both in the pass rush department and stopping the run. His biggest problem (and imo the reason they didnt try too hard to bring him back this year) is that hes very inconsistent.
Jrugges

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a problem with this signing. He's nothing more than a solid rotational player but hey, he's prolly better than Andre Fluellen who was playing last season with injurys along our line. Not sure he's going to replace Hill but like I said he's better than Fluellen.

What's more surprizing to me is they're bringing this guy in and not Corey Williams. I would much rather have Corey Williams assuming he's going to be healthy at camp an all than Mosley. Would love to snag both up though and have the solid veteran tandem behind our young starters* Suh/Fairley.*
lions on top

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
LionsFTW wrote:

If he really is a good run-stuffer (Jacksonville is seriously a team I know very little about any players) how does he not fit into what we're doing? Fairley and Suh are both very good players but are pass rushing DTs first-and-foremost. You need a guy to bring in on short yardage and goaline situations to stuff the running back when it's obvious running situations, we don't have that right now.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DetroitPride26 wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
LionsFTW wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
LionsFTW wrote:

SLH was graded negatively 11 out of 16 games last season against the run. Who knows if he put his mind to it, whether or not he could consistently stop the run, but it's been obvious to anyone paying attention that's not what the Lion's coaching staff has wanted from any of their DL under this regime.

Now all of a sudden we're going after a guy who's primarily a run-stopper, and completely ineffective rushing the passer- looks like a change in direction to me. SLH had 17 QB hurries by the way, which was tied for 15th among all nfl defensive tackles- Nick Fairley had 21 in almost 100 more snaps. You can't just judge a pass rusher on sacks, if our secondary wasn't so damn porous, I'm sure our entire defensive line would've produced more of them.
LionsFTW

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
DetroitPride26 wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
LionsFTW wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
LionsFTW wrote:

SLH was graded negatively 11 out of 16 games last season. Who knowsif he put his mind to it, wwhether or not he could consistently stop the run, but it's been obvious to anyone paying attention that's not what the Lion's coaching staff has wanted from any of their DL under this regime.

Now all of a sudden we're going after a guy who's primarily a run-stopper, and completely ineffective rushing the passer- looks like a change in direction to me. SLH had 17 QB hurries by the way, which was tied for 15th among all nfl defensive tackles- Nick Fairley had 21 in almost 100 more snaps. You can't just judge a pass rusher on sacks, if our secondary wasn't so damn porous, I'm sure our entire defensive line would've produced more of them.

We picked up a DE that flips the usual script as well.
stylish313

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lions on top wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
LionsFTW wrote:

If he really is a good run-stuffer (Jacksonville is seriously a team I know very little about any players) how does he not fit into what we're doing? Fairley and Suh are both very good players but are pass rushing DTs first-and-foremost. You need a guy to bring in on short yardage and goaline situations to stuff the running back when it's obvious running situations, we don't have that right now.
Suh played in a read and react scheme at Nebraska, where he was much more than a pass rusher. It's the Lion's scheme that makes him look poor against the run.
stylish313

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFTW wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
DetroitPride26 wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
LionsFTW wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
LionsFTW wrote:

SLH was graded negatively 11 out of 16 games last season. Who knowsif he put his mind to it, wwhether or not he could consistently stop the run, but it's been obvious to anyone paying attention that's not what the Lion's coaching staff has wanted from any of their DL under this regime.

We picked up a DE that flips the usual script as well.
And that's fine with me, I'm not complaining, I'd rather the Lion's not rush the passer without regard to the run. If they're changing their personnel so that their DL can play a more balanced brand of defense, I'm all for it.

I'm just pointing out that this guy doesn't fit what we've been trying to do for the past 4 seasons.
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He apparently is a pretty good run stopper that holds the line well but doesn't have many pass rushing moves but penetrates fairly well. Sounds interesting to me.

R.I.P. Stylish

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: