Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Redskins have signed former Dolphins QB Pat White
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
MKnight82 wrote:
He's a "camp arm" without a very good arm. He's not a very accurate passer and I can't ever see him playing QB at a high level in the NFL. I seriously doubt he makes the opening day roster, unless RG3 begins the year on PUP. I agree with others in this thread who have mentioned he's being brought in to allow the team to practice with a speedy QB for when RG3 comes back.
So you'd keep Grossman over White at nearly 3 times the price?

Actually, Grossman counts only $575K against the salary cap because he signed a vet min deal. It's a special clause in the CBA so teams don't just cut older players because younger ones are inevitably cheaper. White's cap number is $480K, so Grossman is not even $100K more against the cap.

Given that, I think I'd rather go with Grossman, believe it or not.

I do understand the logic behind not cutting him because of the worry that the Eagles or Giants will sign him, but that's the risk you take.
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
MKnight82 wrote:
He's a "camp arm" without a very good arm. He's not a very accurate passer and I can't ever see him playing QB at a high level in the NFL. I seriously doubt he makes the opening day roster, unless RG3 begins the year on PUP. I agree with others in this thread who have mentioned he's being brought in to allow the team to practice with a speedy QB for when RG3 comes back.
So you'd keep Grossman over White at nearly 3 times the price?

Actually, Grossman counts only $575K against the salary cap because he signed a vet min deal. It's a special clause in the CBA so teams don't just cut older players because younger ones are inevitably cheaper. White's cap number is $480K, so Grossman is not even $100K more against the cap.

Given that, I think I'd rather go with Grossman, believe it or not.

I do understand the logic behind not cutting him because of the worry that the Eagles or Giants will sign him, but that's the risk you take.
he chose us over the eagles so yeah, if we cut him, he probably goes there.

I'm sure he didn't want to go there because he knew Chip's guy is Dennis Dixon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Woz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:

He could go to any of our rivals, so they can pick his brain to figure out our offense.

It's possible that we could hold him until after Week 1 because I don't think his salary would be guaranteed (he doesn't have the accrued seasons for that). If a team really wants to sign him after that and cut one of their own, then you let them.
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

He could go to any of our rivals, so they can pick his brain to figure out our offense.

It's possible that we could hold him until after Week 1 because I don't think his salary would be guaranteed (he doesn't have the accrued seasons for that). If a team really wants to sign him after that and cut one of their own, then you let them.
i think I'd rather have a developmental 20 something player who has RG3 type skills as a runner -although not quite as fast, but might be now after Rg3's injury- than to have Grossman in the roster. As I said to brian23 before, Grossman isn't being picked up by anyone by us which is evident by his current salary. So cut him beginning of the season if White shows to be decent and if anything happens we can sign Grossman as a street free agent during the year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Woz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Woz wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

i think I'd rather have a developmental 20 something player who has RG3 type skills as a runner -although not quite as fast, but might be now after Rg3's injury- than to have Grossman in the roster. As I said to brian23 before, Grossman isn't being picked up by anyone by us which is evident by his current salary. So cut him beginning of the season if White shows to be decent and if anything happens we can sign Grossman as a street free agent during the year.

How many reps do you think the 3rd team QB gets in practice?
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Woz wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

about the same as Grossman will get with his pasty white butt sitting at home and watching the 2013 Washington Redskins. Wink

Even if it's not many physical reps for White. It's scout team, it's mental reps, it's watching video, learning in the classroom, asking Mike, Kyle and Matt questions and putting in work all offseason and after practice with RG3 or whomever.

White has the talent to be a #2 qb in the nfl. We should not judge anyone off of how they preformed on the 2009 Dolphins offense as a rookie, they weren't a very good offensive team all the way around and they didn't prepare White well enough for QB because they were so worried about him running the wildcat gadget.

Last edited by turtle28 on Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Brian23

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat White, a guy who's attempted only 5 passes in a 4/5 year career (and not even completed one), is a guy you project with the talent as a #2 in the NFL? Haha. Okay.

This guy is 6 foot tall, which we heard all off-season about how hard it is for guys that size to make it in the NFL. He's not even listed over 200 pounds, when most QB's have to be at least 220 to take a beating in the pocket. And again, he hasn't completed a single pass while just turning 27 years old. We've already got a 6' foot 3, 220~ lb, 24 year old Sophmore QB that's our Number 2. Who's completed 26 attempts in just a year while Whites completed...oh...right.

Your number 3 guy, at this point, isn't a developmental guy. When you've got a young QB you're developing, let alone 2, your number 3 guy is a guy that's gonna help the young guys grow. He's gonna walk them through obstacles they come to, he's gonna be right beside them showing them as they take the reps, and a guy who (if all else fails) can step in and play spot duty if need be.

You really think White can play spot duty if need be? When he hasn't completed a single damn pass in the NFL?
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian23 wrote:
Pat White, a guy who's attempted only 5 passes in a 4/5 year career (and not even completed one), is a guy you project with the talent as a #2 in the NFL? Haha. Okay.

This guy is 6 foot tall, which we heard all off-season about how hard it is for guys that size to make it in the NFL. He's not even listed over 200 pounds, when most QB's have to be at least 220 to take a beating in the pocket. And again, he hasn't completed a single pass while just turning 27 years old. We've already got a 6' foot 3, 220~ lb, 24 year old Sophmore QB that's our Number 2. Who's completed 26 attempts in just a year while Whites completed...oh...right.

Your number 3 guy, at this point, isn't a developmental guy. When you've got a young QB you're developing, let alone 2, your number 3 guy is a guy that's gonna help the young guys grow. He's gonna walk them through obstacles they come to, he's gonna be right beside them showing them as they take the reps, and a guy who (if all else fails) can step in and play spot duty if need be.

You really think White can play spot duty if need be? When he hasn't completed a single damn pass in the NFL?
dont know but I want to find out. Rex will always be unemployed for us during the season if we need him. No one else wants him but Kyle (his drinking buddy) and you, because he's your man crush. Wink

There is a difference between being a proven loser (Grossman) and a young qb with upside and ability to run the zone read like other young qbs in he gae are. White was one of the 1st in college football to run that offense and he was the 1st to be the qb of that offense and have his team in the natl title game hunt, I also remember him beating Sam Bradford in a bowl game.

They really only had him running the wildcat offense in Miami, he never got a chance to develop his qb skills, he will get that chance here. We'll see what happens and I'm sure he's added weight since he was 22 also.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_White_(athlete)

Quote:
Following the end of the regular season in his senior season of 2008, White was offered and accepted a bid to the Senior Bowl, where he worked out for scouts at quarterback.[20] NFL Network's Mike Mayock predicted White to be the Senior Bowl MVP and be a 2nd round selection,[21] while Mel Kiper, Jr. selected White as his #5 quarterback prospect in the class.[22] White finished the Senior Bowl going 4 of 9 passing for 95 yards with a touchdown and 31 yards rushing on three rushes - totaling 126 yards with a touchdown. He led two scoring drives, including a 39-yard touchdown pass, en route to being named the 2009 Senior Bowl MVP.[23]

White officially received an invitation to the 2009 NFL Combine.[24] Prior to Combine workouts, he told reporters that he was willing to play other positions besides quarterback in the NFL[25] - although White was praised for his workouts at quarterback.[26][27][28] On top of other praise, White as the co-winner of the General Motors Top Combine Performer. On March 3, 2009, White joined the NFL Total Access cast on NFL Network.[29] On March 12, White worked out at his Pro Day exclusively at quarterback, contrary to reports that he would run routes as a receiver and return punts.[30] Soon after, White appeared in a spread for ESPN The Magazine's April 20 feature.
sounds like a good prospect, he just needs better coaching, to study harder and prepare harder. I think he does that and gets that in Washington, unlike Miami.
Woz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Woz wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Woz wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

about the same as Grossman will get with his pasty white butt sitting at home and watching the 2013 Washington Redskins. Wink

Even if it's not many physical reps for White. It's scout team, it's mental reps, it's watching video, learning in the classroom, asking Mike, Kyle and Matt questions and putting in work all offseason and after practice with RG3 or whomever.

Those are mental reps and classroom learning that Grossman doesn't need.

Remember, Pat White has been out of football for two years. He hasn't been on a NFL team for three years (he spent three months with the Virginia Destroyers before being cut before the season started). We're talking about a lot of ground-up, fundamental stuff that needs to be reworked.

Quote:
White has the talent to be a #2 qb in the nfl. We should not judge anyone off of how they preformed on the 2009 Dolphins offense as a rookie, they weren't a very good offensive team all the way around and they didn't prepare White well enough for QB because they were so worried about him running the wildcat gadget.

Again, if he had the talent, why didn't he get a chance? He was waived by Miami and the sum total of waiver requests on him was ... zero. He signed a minor league contract with Kansas City Royals (yes, baseball) for Fall ball, and then signed a minor league contract with the Miami Marlins. You have to think that if anyone was interested, he wouldn't have signed that contract.

EDIT: I read the same Wikipedia article you did, but I focused on the post-college years. You know, the ones that have occurred more recently?

To put it in perspective: Obama was elected the first time seven weeks before the last time Pat White started for any football team in his career.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: