Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Buccaneers sign former Giants, Rams WR Steve Smith
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tampa Bay Buccaneers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
REDandPEWTER

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deuces22wild wrote:
REDandPEWTER wrote:
deuces22wild wrote:
Maybe we would run more 3 we sets if we actually had a 3rd wr!

The Giants ran it a ton with both Smith and now Cruz.

Also he won't "just" play the slot. He would take both punt and kick return duties over as well as take a few snaps out of the backfield.

How do you know he would take snaps at rb? Also with the new kick off rules I tact that isn't as high of a value here.

When you take a slot wr at 13 you run the risk of Ted Ginn jr. He was just as good as Austin in college as well. Not saying Austin is Ted Ginn. The risk is there.

When you select a qb 1st overall you run the risk of JaMarcus Russell... Confused

My point was Ginn and Austin similar players.
tml_gogo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

REDandPEWTER wrote:
deuces22wild wrote:
REDandPEWTER wrote:
deuces22wild wrote:

Also he won't "just" play the slot. He would take both punt and kick return duties over as well as take a few snaps out of the backfield.

How do you know he would take snaps at rb? Also with the new kick off rules I tact that isn't as high of a value here.

When you take a slot wr at 13 you run the risk of Ted Ginn jr. He was just as good as Austin in college as well. Not saying Austin is Ted Ginn. The risk is there.

When you select a qb 1st overall you run the risk of JaMarcus Russell... Confused

I wouldn't say that. Ginn was more of a straight line speed type of guy with questionable receiving skills, Austin is more of a small, shifty guy.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tml_gogo wrote:
REDandPEWTER wrote:
deuces22wild wrote:
REDandPEWTER wrote:
deuces22wild wrote:

I wouldn't say that. Ginn was more of a straight line speed type of guy with questionable receiving skills, Austin is more of a small, shifty guy.

LOL because they are both fast? Get outta here...Ginn had one year of good production, Austin has been a man on fire the past 3 years. Austin was the best footballl player out of Maryland, and a RB. He's a football player that has track speed, not a track runner playing football ala Ginn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still wondering why people think it's a good idea to draft a 3rd wr slot wr at 13. We don't have that luxury and frankly I think bailey would be a better fit in round two. Or markus Wheaton.

If anything an atheltic te like Eifert would be a better selection because he'd be on the field and be a mismatch in the redone as well. Giving us Martin, Jackson Williams and Eifert guys who are threats inside the 20.
tml_gogo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucstopshere wrote:

LOL because they are both fast? Get outta here...Ginn had one year of good production, Austin has been a man on fire the past 3 years. Austin was the best footballl player out of Maryland, and a RB. He's a football player that has track speed, not a track runner playing football ala Ginn

Go back to last page and see my first post about Austin..I just don't get it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm personally not pounding my chest for Austin but I would be very happy if we did select him.

Rhodes, Eifert, Austin along with Star or Jones if they slipped a few spots would be my top guys today.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tml_gogo wrote:
bucstopshere wrote:

I get ya. I know im not perfect scouting either, but the thing I love is that Austin is a football player. I dont understand why people question his toughness, that's what I dont get. Yes a 3rd WR is a luxury, but BPA is the way to go

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucstopshere wrote:
tml_gogo wrote:
bucstopshere wrote:

I get ya. I know im not perfect scouting either, but the thing I love is that Austin is a football player. I dont understand why people question his toughness, that's what I dont get. Yes a 3rd WR is a luxury, but BPA is the way to go

That would be like drafting Trent Richardson wit Adrian Peterson on the roster last year.

You don't take a slot wr in the 1st round.
YoungBucs15

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

REDandPEWTER wrote:
bucstopshere wrote:
tml_gogo wrote:
bucstopshere wrote:

That would be like drafting Trent Richardson wit Adrian Peterson on the roster last year.

You don't take a slot wr in the 1st round.

I see what you are getting at but WR is a little different than RB. How many 3 WR sets are ran opposed to 2 RB sets?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why people are getting boners over Austin he won't be a Buc. We picked up Ogletree and haven't done anything with our CB situation pretty simple
Soul Glo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Austin can definitely play the slot and is a lot different than Ginn (who was overdrafted, all he had was speed/returning ability not even in this comparison) and Desean and Tavon play a lot different.

Tavon will be a good player in the NFL, and though I'm not banging the table for him I would like the pick. He's the best fit at WR for us in this draft. He's not quite as good as Percy was coming out won't break off tackles with his strength, but still a good player and can play the same role in the NFL. I think they play super similar styles just that Percy was a more gifted prospect.... but then again you won't find another Percy.
RoeKG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't help but think that players like Tavon Austin get drafted all over the draft every year.

No thanks, let's get some defense.
tml_gogo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand what people see in Austin, and I could obviously be completely wrong..I just think Austin will be a bust. He tips the scales at what..170? I'm sure he's a tough kid, and he's got a ton of open field wiggle..but that act won't work in the NFL (IMO). Reggie Bush had supernatural wiggle back in college, he couldn't even translate it to the NFL. I know Reggie and Tavon are completely different players and play completely different positions, just saying that wiggle doesn't always translate.

What do we know:

- He's tiny
- He played in a system that threw tons of screens and quick passes, that threw the ball ~60 times a game
- He relies on his, again, "wiggle", to elude defenders

How does that translate to NFL success? I think he'll be a pretty solid slot guy, but I don't see a guy who is worth the #13 pick. The return ability is nice, but with kickoffs usually ending up as touchbacks it's not a huge deal.

I could be way off, that's just how I see it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tampa Bay Buccaneers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: