Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Raiders sign Tracy Porter
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DOCLEW 28

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is plenty of CB depth from top to bottom in this draft. I've never seen this many good CB's coming out in one draft.

Raider X hooked me with the sig
badmoon8081

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
badmoon8081 wrote:
We have been all trying to figure out Reggie's style. Now I'm starting to wonder if he just doesn't feel like the secondary is an area of importance to ever invest in. Last year he added two veteran injury prone guys to start that were done by week 4. Out best corner last year was the starting safety. Now you look at the corners and you can't help but scratch your head to figure out who is good enough to start. Now we sign another veteran coming off an injury? Plus we moved a RB to corner? Going into this offseason based on how bad the secondary was last year, I looked at it as a #1 priority. But it seems that for the second year in a row, Reggie is just gonna patch it together with more spare parts.

I don't think that's what he's doing. He isn't signing expensive FAs, period. Higher level pass rushers, CBs, WRs, OTs and QBs are usually too expensive on the FA market. You can find solid bargains at S, LB or G though. That's what he's using FA for. Financially, it makes more sense to fill the expensive positions through the draft.

All I'm saying is that I had the same concerns last year, was having faith in Reggie and waiting for him to add some quality inexpensive talent and it never really happened. Bartel and spencer were the starters and the depth was so bad that we had to rotate huff but that didn't really help either. I'm not asking Reggie to break the bank but it just doesn't seem like corner is a priority in his philosophy. Possibly Reggie is a believer that as long as u have a solid pass rush than it really doesn't matter who is covering?
oakdb36

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

badmoon8081 wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
badmoon8081 wrote:
We have been all trying to figure out Reggie's style. Now I'm starting to wonder if he just doesn't feel like the secondary is an area of importance to ever invest in. Last year he added two veteran injury prone guys to start that were done by week 4. Out best corner last year was the starting safety. Now you look at the corners and you can't help but scratch your head to figure out who is good enough to start. Now we sign another veteran coming off an injury? Plus we moved a RB to corner? Going into this offseason based on how bad the secondary was last year, I looked at it as a #1 priority. But it seems that for the second year in a row, Reggie is just gonna patch it together with more spare parts.

I don't think that's what he's doing. He isn't signing expensive FAs, period. Higher level pass rushers, CBs, WRs, OTs and QBs are usually too expensive on the FA market. You can find solid bargains at S, LB or G though. That's what he's using FA for. Financially, it makes more sense to fill the expensive positions through the draft.

All I'm saying is that I had the same concerns last year, was having faith in Reggie and waiting for him to add some quality inexpensive talent and it never really happened. Bartel and spencer were the starters and the depth was so bad that we had to rotate huff but that didn't really help either. I'm not asking Reggie to break the bank but it just doesn't seem like corner is a priority in his philosophy. Possibly Reggie is a believer that as long as u have a solid pass rush than it really doesn't matter who is covering?

Well, did you see him break the bank for a pass rusher? Or just make it a priority to add one in FA? Dumervil, Abraham, Umenyiora, Avril, Freeney, Bennett have all been or still are available. How many of those have we been reportedly interested in? None as far as i know.
badmoon8081

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
badmoon8081 wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
badmoon8081 wrote:

Well, did you see him break the bank for a pass rusher? Or just make it a priority to add one in FA? Dumervil, Abraham, Umenyiora, Avril, Freeney, Bennett have all been or still are available. How many of those have we been reportedly interested in? None as far as i know.

You are right but I'm assuming he will use the 3rd overall pick on a defensive lineman. We had decent talent and depth up front last year. That's why are backup DT Desmond Bryant got paid this year. But you got to admit Reggie's decision to sign Bartel and Spencer was a disaster. Plus we didn't have the depth to back them up after they were done. Are best corner last year was Huff and that's a joke. I mean we didn't even draft a corner last year dispite the obvious that we would probably need depth behind a couple of injury prone vets.
Big Rob

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOCLEW 28 wrote:
Unless we draft one, Ross may be our FS this year. He played some last year in his limited time.

Even with Reggie's UDFA success, I can't see not drafting at least one CB in a class this deep. Even it its in the 4th or 5th round.

I don't mind Ross at FS, kid can play...but we def need some competition at the position to push him...
Big Rob

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

badmoon8081 wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
badmoon8081 wrote:

Adams and Ross were nice finds, they are good depth with upside at the very least....can't expect Pro Bowl UDFAs every year...if we can find a couple guys that can come in and contribute without over paying or using a draft pick, that's a win in my book....
Big Rob

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

badmoon8081 wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
badmoon8081 wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
badmoon8081 wrote:

You are right but I'm assuming he will use the 3rd overall pick on a defensive lineman. We had decent talent and depth up front last year. That's why are backup DT Desmond Bryant got paid this year. But you got to admit Reggie's decision to sign Bartel and Spencer was a disaster. Plus we didn't have the depth to back them up after they were done. Are best corner last year was Huff and that's a joke. I mean we didn't even draft a corner last year dispite the obvious that we would probably need depth behind a couple of injury prone vets.

We've had no picks or money the last two off seasons, what do you expect...I rather he draft some quality(Burris, Bilukidi) then just draft a corner for the sake of filling a need...and I actually like the Bartell signing when we did it, he was a quality CB in ST. Lou, but he clearly was hampered by missing the 2011 season and his injury didn't help...he's added Adams and Porter for Next to nothing and I am sure he'll add at least one quality CB...
GJT1347

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some names that we havent mentioned yet are Taiwan Jones and Joselio Hanson. I dont see why we couldnt bring back Hanson for next to nothing for 1 year to plug a hole. He played with some heart last year and deserves another roster spot. Jones on the other hand, i dont hold much hope for, but he'll probablly make the roster based on special teams value. If he gives us anything at corner, it'll be a bonus. lets hope for the best though.

Props to Palooka ^
DOCLEW 28

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I can't see Porter being the only CB we bring in this year. This offseason is totally different than last year. In fact everything is. So we really can't use what we did in the last year as a barometer of things to come with Reggie.

raiderfan19

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be waiting till after the draft to bringin more secondary help. Pretty obvious we are gonna look for a corner and FS in the mid rounds. If we come out of the draft with nothing then I could see a Jenkins deal happen or a Kerry Rhodes.

S\O Palooka on the sig
Tacos

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raiderfan19 wrote:
Could be waiting till after the draft to bringin more secondary help. Pretty obvious we are gonna look for a corner and FS in the mid rounds. If we come out of the draft with nothing then I could see a Jenkins deal happen or a Kerry Rhodes.
That's what I think will happen. Why rush signing FA's we can probably get after the draft?

Starting two vet CB's (although they were coming off injuries) didn't exactly work out for us last year.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Jenkins and Rhodes will be gone by then. Hell, Jenkins has an offer in hand right now from Jacksonville. And Rhodes won't be out there long. Plus, we really don't have the cap space to sign either of them right now.

oakdb36

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOCLEW 28 wrote:
I think Jenkins and Rhodes will be gone by then. Hell, Jenkins has an offer in hand right now from Jacksonville. And Rhodes won't be out there long. Plus, we really don't have the cap space to sign either of them right now.

We don't know that. How much cap space we have depends on McClain's guarantees being voided or not. And even if they weren't, we should still have around 2.5M, which is enough to fit 2 contracts similar to Porter's if that's something we want to do.
I don't think we'll sign anyone before the draft but that's just because we'll wait to see what we can do there before we go spending cap room on more FAs.
DOCLEW 28

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
DOCLEW 28 wrote:

We don't know that. How much cap space we have depends on McClain's guarantees being voided or not. And even if they weren't, we should still have around 2.5M, which is enough to fit 2 contracts similar to Porter's if that's something we want to do.
I don't think we'll sign anyone before the draft but that's just because we'll wait to see what we can do there before we go spending cap room on more FAs.

How would we sign a starting quality CB with $2.5M and still have enough to sign rookies and UDFA's?

raidr4life

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOCLEW 28 wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
DOCLEW 28 wrote:

How would we sign a starting quality CB with $2.5M and still have enough to sign rookies and UDFA's?
Give them a bigger signing bonus and backload the contract.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: