Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Browns trade QB Colt McCoy and 6th to 49ers for 5th and 7th
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kingnothing

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have rather traded for Carson Palmer. 1. He is better than Colt McCoy and 2. Could potentially keep him from starting for the Cardinals.
DirtyJersey9er

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kingnothing wrote:
I would have rather traded for Carson Palmer. 1. He is better than Colt McCoy and 2. Could potentially keep him from starting for the Cardinals.

A: Palmer is due to make 13 million this season so to even do the trade he would have to agree to restructure(he isn't) B: Carson Palmer is a pick machine now picture him throwing with that Offensive Line in Arizona? I think he benefits us more in a Cardinals Uniform than in a 49ers uniform.

I have a new Sports Blog check it at:
http://buttfumblesports.wordpress.com/
48 1/2ers

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kingnothing wrote:

Laughing No just no...the Cardinals are not a threat even with Palmer. go take a look at his salary then tell me how you'd rather have that

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyJersey9er wrote:
kingnothing wrote:

A: Palmer is due to make 13 million this season so to even do the trade he would have to agree to restructure(he isn't) B: Carson Palmer is a pick machine now picture him throwing with that Offensive Line in Arizona? I think he benefits us more in a Cardinals Uniform than in a 49ers uniform.

He is not worth anywhere near 13 mil. Hence, the reason he is being traded. Otherwise, he would have been cut. He was considering the possibility of being a backup on a winning team. Which, he would take less money to be a backup.

Or look at the positive. He would have plenty of time behind the 49ers offensive line.
oldman9er

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would have preferred a Ricky Stanzi trade! ... but no big deal.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er,

you are 100% correct. Team Success > Player Preference!
SFaithful97

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ers Finest wrote:
Yeah it's a solid move.
Basically a late sixth/early seventh for a backup qb making 1.5 mill with NFL experience. Backups around the league are getting much more.

I kinda wanted harbs to get another piece of clay though. Maybe next draft since there's only a year on colts contract.
I think that is exactly what Colt is. He doesn't have a big arm, actually his arm strength is terrible, but I think he was mishandled in Cleveland. He could be a very good backup for a team the runs a WCO like we do, and has a decent running game to help him out.

MAC DRE wrote:
I'd rather have young Wagner and Wright going forward than Willis and Bowman.
oldman9er

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kingnothing wrote:
oldman9er,

you are 100% correct. Team Success > Player Preference!

Might seem rather obvious for a fan to think this way.. but I had to do some hard thinking on that and check myself.

( still not a Jim Harbaugh fan though )

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fres03 wrote:
I like this move allot. Colt was pretty much in a no win situation in Cleveland from day one, now he gets to come into a good enviroment and learn under Harbaugh for a year, at least, and it didn't cost the Niners much to get him.

Pretty much my sentiments. What happened in Cleveland doesn't mean much to me. They had bad coaching and just mediocre offensive talent around him. That won't be the case here.

Sig credit goes to IDOG_det
SoS wrote:
Pete is just an arrogant wanna-be Jim Harbaugh but he's just not as smart.
Smile
49ers Finest

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SFaithful97 wrote:
49ers Finest wrote:
Yeah it's a solid move.
Basically a late sixth/early seventh for a backup qb making 1.5 mill with NFL experience. Backups around the league are getting much more.

I kinda wanted harbs to get another piece of clay though. Maybe next draft since there's only a year on colts contract.
I think that is exactly what Colt is. He doesn't have a big arm, actually his arm strength is terrible, but I think he was mishandled in Cleveland. He could be a very good backup for a team the runs a WCO like we do, and has a decent running game to help him out.

when i watched tolzein, i got the same impression. they are very similar to me. tolzein has a weak arm, but he seems smart and accuarate short to intermediate. he also has nice touch on his deep throws. but theyre more basket throws, which is what colts seems to do as well

if jim sees a guy with a strong arm but lots of things wrong that he sees as fixable, we will grab him. works for me. but i was thinking more of a guy like bray as his clay. i think kap could do amazing things with him

new sig... sorry alex
49ers Finest

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he has some baby wheels i wasnt aware of. some underrated kinda speed, like alex had. not much but more than enough. idk if he ran at all in the pros though? havent watched much of him
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=htpJjUAdkbo#!

also this one is a great laugh, must watch!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFQgE18-Lp8

Quote:
Winners of Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award (nationís top senior QB) -- 2009: Colt McCoy, Texas; 2010: Scott Tolzien, Wisconsin. #49ers

new sig... sorry alex
big9erfan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sold move We were either going to use a low round pick on a rookie or pick up a cheap veteran. Colt is way better than any rookie we could have picked up at the bottom of the 6th, which s essentially what we gave up for him. And he's still young enough that there's still room for improvement if he gets good coaching, and he will here. tolzien and mccoy can have a nice battle to see which one develops the most and we all know how much Harbaugh likes competition.

Best scenario to me is that they both develop well. One becomes our backup and one we trade away for more than we just gave up to get colt.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this move. Harbaugh/Roman/Chryst have already proven that they can work with qb's with strong cannons or weaker arms. The price isn't bad, and Mccoy is still young enough to improve. More mobile than people give him credit for, but he really really needs to work on his progression reads and become a little more accurate, especially on intermediate throws. No arm strength and no accuracy is probably a bad combination. I'm sure Harbaugh and company can correct a chunk of that though.

The only thing i don't like is his price tag; is he even worth that cap hit when he's got a very limited ceiling and a late round rookie could have similar, if not more potential at a much lower price tag? That being said, having someone with some sort of starting experience behind Kaep is a boon. He'll be a solid backup to have.

Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
Chrissooner49er

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
AndyLeesAunt wrote:
Could it be possible that Harbaugh is going to try and groom Colt into a badass qb in which we will trade him for a high [inappropriate/removed] pick in the future?

Boo hoo!

For that to happen, we would have to be able to showcase Colt, and that would only happen if CK got hurt.. so I hope not.

Overall, I just think it doesn't hurt to have a good back-up, and he's way more proven than Tolzien.

And MUCH more mobile. Colt was frustratingly elusive in college...my Sooners had difficulty wrapping him up. I think he may be a good backup for our system. Hopefully his arm has gotten stronger since his days at Texas.
candyman93

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Btw

Win the Super Bowl

Kthnxluvbye

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: