Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

AZ's last pre-draft mock (probably)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
AZBearsFan


Moderator
Joined: 04 Feb 2006
Posts: 10645
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: AZ's last pre-draft mock (probably) Reply with quote

1 Xavier Rhodes, CB, FSU - As of right now the only cornerback we have under contract beyond this season is Isaiah Frey. Rhodes has elite potential at the position.

2 Alex Okafor, DE, Texas - As of right now we only have two defensive ends under contract beyond this season, and one of them (Peppers) is expected to be cut for cap reasons. Okafor has an NFL body as well as solid pass rushing tools and provides good depth now and starter potential.

4 Josh Boyce, WR, TCU - Our roster currently lacks a true deep threat. Boyce is a slot receiver with field stretching speed and playmaking ability after the catch.

5 Brennan Williams, OT, UNC - As of right now both of our right tackles are in the last year of their contract and the only potential replacement on the roster (Carimi) is probably going to play guard. Williams has prototypical size and in this scenario gets a year to develop before potentially pushing for playing time.

6 Vince Williams, MLB, FSU - Our only legit middle linebacker on the roster has significant off field baggage, is on a one-year contract and is entering his 10th season. We need a player to be the future there. Williams showed to have both NFL talent and strong leadership ability at the Senior Bowl.

QB Cutler, McCown
RB Forte, Bush, Allen
WR Marshall, Jeffery, Bennett, Boyce, Weems, Hester
TE Bennett, Maneri, Adams
OT Bushrod, Webb, Scott, B Williams
OG Slauson, Carimi, Brown
C Garza, E Williams

DE Peppers, Wootton, McClellin, Okafor, McBride
DT Melton, Paea, Collins, (minimum salary FA)
OLB Briggs, Anderson, Castonzo, Thomas
MLB DJ Williams, V Williams, DiCicco
CB Tillman, Jennings, Rhodes, Hayden, Frey, Bowman
S Wright, Conte, Zbikowski, Steltz, Hardin

K Gould
P Podlesh
LS Mannelly
_________________

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mudderfudder77


Joined: 14 Jan 2005
Posts: 1834
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I don't think any of the first three selections will be there whe we pick.

I think Rhodes may go top 10, Okafor will be gone at the top of the second, and Boyce will go third round.

If they are available at our picks though I think this would be a great draft.
_________________


Adopt-a-Bear Kyle Long

PFF Grade through Regular-Season Game 3: 2.7 (20th in NFL) Highest rated rookie OL

Highest rated OL in the Pre-Season
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ConVict90


Joined: 20 Sep 2009
Posts: 2202
Location: San Diego
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the Boyce pick, I have him tabbed as my 4th rounder too
_________________
Adopt-A-Bear: Big Al Jeffery
Rec: 80
Yds: 1265
TD: 7
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Madmike90


Joined: 25 Jan 2009
Posts: 22240
Location: Scotland
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as this draft would help us in the future I don’t think it does enough to help us now…I’m a big fan of Rhodes and doubt he makes it to #20 but if he did he would be a great pick because he could play the outside and allow Tim Jennings to play the slot…Okafor is a guy who again I doubt makes it to #50 but if he did I’m not sure DE is a fit for us…Peppers is still here and Wootton really came on…McClellin will be the 3rd DE in the rotation and I don’t see the value in taking a #4 DE in the 2nd round when we have more pressing needs on the Oline & at LB…Boyce would be decent in the 4th…I like Williams in the 5th & Williams could be a good depth player for us down the road.
_________________
Adopt-a-Bear 2013…Martellus Bennett…65 Rec…759 Yards…11.7 Avg…5 TDs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KG1187


Joined: 16 Jan 2013
Posts: 230
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with MadMike. Great draft in terms of talent, depth and future need but not nearly enough immediate contributors. The first year of that draft crop looks like a nickel back, a rotational DE and WR and a backup tackle even though we already have that in Scott. Make the second round pick Schwenke or Warford and I would feel much better. At least then a glaring immediate need is filled along with future needs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AZBearsFan


Moderator
Joined: 04 Feb 2006
Posts: 10645
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
As much as this draft would help us in the future I don’t think it does enough to help us now…I’m a big fan of Rhodes and doubt he makes it to #20 but if he did he would be a great pick because he could play the outside and allow Tim Jennings to play the slot…Okafor is a guy who again I doubt makes it to #50 but if he did I’m not sure DE is a fit for us…Peppers is still here and Wootton really came on…McClellin will be the 3rd DE in the rotation and I don’t see the value in taking a #4 DE in the 2nd round when we have more pressing needs on the Oline & at LB…Boyce would be decent in the 4th…I like Williams in the 5th & Williams could be a good depth player for us down the road.

I don't see how LB is any more of an immediate need then DE seeing as how we have sure fire starters at both positions but questions beyond 2013 at both positions. Wootton did come on but we can't just assume we will be able to resign him either. Our DL was at its best last year when we were rotating 4 DEs, and right now we only have three unless you think that we are going to get anything significant out of McBride (I don't).

And you know that I share your passion for improving our OL however part of me just thinks that Emery really wants either Carimi or Brown to win one of the guard spots and that won't happen if we draft one at 50. I certainly would not oppose a guard earlier in the draft but I don't know that we will go that route.
_________________

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Madmike90


Joined: 25 Jan 2009
Posts: 22240
Location: Scotland
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
As much as this draft would help us in the future I don’t think it does enough to help us now…I’m a big fan of Rhodes and doubt he makes it to #20 but if he did he would be a great pick because he could play the outside and allow Tim Jennings to play the slot…Okafor is a guy who again I doubt makes it to #50 but if he did I’m not sure DE is a fit for us…Peppers is still here and Wootton really came on…McClellin will be the 3rd DE in the rotation and I don’t see the value in taking a #4 DE in the 2nd round when we have more pressing needs on the Oline & at LB…Boyce would be decent in the 4th…I like Williams in the 5th & Williams could be a good depth player for us down the road.

I don't see how LB is any more of an immediate need then DE seeing as how we have sure fire starters at both positions but questions beyond 2013 at both positions. Wootton did come on but we can't just assume we will be able to resign him either. Our DL was at its best last year when we were rotating 4 DEs, and right now we only have three unless you think that we are going to get anything significant out of McBride (I don't).

And you know that I share your passion for improving our OL however part of me just thinks that Emery really wants either Carimi or Brown to win one of the guard spots and that won't happen if we draft one at 50. I certainly would not oppose a guard earlier in the draft but I don't know that we will go that route.


It comes down to talent for me… Peppers, Wootton & McClellin are a more talented trio than Briggs, Williams & Anderson at this point…Peppers & Briggs are a push…but Wootton & McClellin are ascending talent whereas Williams & Anderson are on the downside of their career…IMO adding a LB now lets us not only to start building for the future but to have an immediate impact player as well...

As for the Oline I simply don’t think we can afford to rely on one of the two winning the job…I think we need a guy who has played RG before to be added to the mix…if Warford is there at #50 we have to grab him IMO.
_________________
Adopt-a-Bear 2013…Martellus Bennett…65 Rec…759 Yards…11.7 Avg…5 TDs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WindyCity


Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 9594
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Relying on Carimi to do anything other than be a Jerry Angelo joke punch line is a mistake.
_________________
WindyCity "He will start week 1 because while he is raw he is shockingly athletic and can pass block. Long is a bigger risk than Cooper and Warmack, but I think he has just as high a ceiling."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DaMike


Joined: 21 Nov 2010
Posts: 5346
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Relying on Carimi to do anything other than be a Jerry Angelo joke punch line is a mistake.
You knock Angelo but you and everyone else loved the pick.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AZBearsFan


Moderator
Joined: 04 Feb 2006
Posts: 10645
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Relying on Carimi to do anything other than be a Jerry Angelo joke punch line is a mistake.
You knock Angelo but you and everyone else loved the pick.

Well if the coaches agree with Windy then this mock will be wrong and we'll most likely take a guard at 20 or 50, and if not then we may not take a guard at all. What it really comes down to is whether Emery and the staff think that Prospect X has a higher ceiling at guard than Carimi and/or Brown. I think Carimi will be a good guard if allowed to learn the position under Kromer as he has many of the same qualities as Nicks and Evans and while I don't expect him to become either of those two I expect that he can become a solid starter inside. None of us know for sure what Emery and the staff think in this regard.

Like I said before I won't be surprised if we draft a guard high but I also won't be surprised if we don't draft one at all. Cooper in round 1 would be sort of an in-between IMO because I would expect him to only be at guard for one year.
_________________

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DaMike


Joined: 21 Nov 2010
Posts: 5346
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
DaMike wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Relying on Carimi to do anything other than be a Jerry Angelo joke punch line is a mistake.
You knock Angelo but you and everyone else loved the pick.

Well if the coaches agree with Windy then this mock will be wrong and we'll most likely take a guard at 20 or 50, and if not then we may not take a guard at all. What it really comes down to is whether Emery and the staff think that Prospect X has a higher ceiling at guard than Carimi and/or Brown. I think Carimi will be a good guard if allowed to learn the position under Kromer as he has many of the same qualities as Nicks and Evans and while I don't expect him to become either of those two I expect that he can become a solid starter inside. None of us know for sure what Emery and the staff think in this regard.

Like I said before I won't be surprised if we draft a guard high but I also won't be surprised if we don't draft one at all. Cooper in round 1 would be sort of an in-between IMO because I would expect him to only be at guard for one year.
I'd have no problem with giving Carimi a chance. I think he can be a starter. Just dont know where.

I just dont understand why people put down Angelo for having the same opinions they had.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Superman(DH23)


Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 18563
Location: Abdi on the sick sig
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
DaMike wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Relying on Carimi to do anything other than be a Jerry Angelo joke punch line is a mistake.
You knock Angelo but you and everyone else loved the pick.

Well if the coaches agree with Windy then this mock will be wrong and we'll most likely take a guard at 20 or 50, and if not then we may not take a guard at all. What it really comes down to is whether Emery and the staff think that Prospect X has a higher ceiling at guard than Carimi and/or Brown. I think Carimi will be a good guard if allowed to learn the position under Kromer as he has many of the same qualities as Nicks and Evans and while I don't expect him to become either of those two I expect that he can become a solid starter inside. None of us know for sure what Emery and the staff think in this regard.

Like I said before I won't be surprised if we draft a guard high but I also won't be surprised if we don't draft one at all. Cooper in round 1 would be sort of an in-between IMO because I would expect him to only be at guard for one year.
I'd have no problem with giving Carimi a chance. I think he can be a starter. Just dont know where.

I just dont understand why people put down Angelo for having the same opinions they had.
ahem...I didn't have that opinion, and there's plenty of record of that.

Also, I feel the need to state at this point that Emery is one Reuben Brown away from rebuilding the offensive line the same way that JA did, w/ one exception, he didn't keep the young up and coming home grown talent.

John Tait=Jermon Bushrod
Roberto Garza=Matt Slauson
Olin Kreutz=Lance Louis

Just hope everyone realizes that if Emery doesn't start adding OL talent thru the draft soon, we will find ourselves in the exact same position we did in 2008 a few years from now.
_________________

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DaMike


Joined: 21 Nov 2010
Posts: 5346
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
DaMike wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Relying on Carimi to do anything other than be a Jerry Angelo joke punch line is a mistake.
You knock Angelo but you and everyone else loved the pick.

Well if the coaches agree with Windy then this mock will be wrong and we'll most likely take a guard at 20 or 50, and if not then we may not take a guard at all. What it really comes down to is whether Emery and the staff think that Prospect X has a higher ceiling at guard than Carimi and/or Brown. I think Carimi will be a good guard if allowed to learn the position under Kromer as he has many of the same qualities as Nicks and Evans and while I don't expect him to become either of those two I expect that he can become a solid starter inside. None of us know for sure what Emery and the staff think in this regard.

Like I said before I won't be surprised if we draft a guard high but I also won't be surprised if we don't draft one at all. Cooper in round 1 would be sort of an in-between IMO because I would expect him to only be at guard for one year.
I'd have no problem with giving Carimi a chance. I think he can be a starter. Just dont know where.

I just dont understand why people put down Angelo for having the same opinions they had.
ahem...I didn't have that opinion, and there's plenty of record of that.

Also, I feel the need to state at this point that Emery is one Reuben Brown away from rebuilding the offensive line the same way that JA did, w/ one exception, he didn't keep the young up and coming home grown talent.

John Tait=Jermon Bushrod
Roberto Garza=Matt Slauson
Olin Kreutz=Lance Louis

Just hope everyone realizes that if Emery doesn't start adding OL talent thru the draft soon, we will find ourselves in the exact same position we did in 2008 a few years from now.
I just remember most people being in love with him.

I agree that we may end up in the same position. We need more young talent there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WindyCity


Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 9594
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Relying on Carimi to do anything other than be a Jerry Angelo joke punch line is a mistake.
You knock Angelo but you and everyone else loved the pick.


I loved the pick because with the information that I had, incredibly limited and media influenced, he was a good pick.

I did not have 1/100 of the information or access that Jerry had.

Also I am fan it is my job to be excited about a pick, it is not my job to put a great team on the field.
_________________
WindyCity "He will start week 1 because while he is raw he is shockingly athletic and can pass block. Long is a bigger risk than Cooper and Warmack, but I think he has just as high a ceiling."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WindyCity


Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 9594
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
DaMike wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Relying on Carimi to do anything other than be a Jerry Angelo joke punch line is a mistake.
You knock Angelo but you and everyone else loved the pick.

Well if the coaches agree with Windy then this mock will be wrong and we'll most likely take a guard at 20 or 50, and if not then we may not take a guard at all. What it really comes down to is whether Emery and the staff think that Prospect X has a higher ceiling at guard than Carimi and/or Brown. I think Carimi will be a good guard if allowed to learn the position under Kromer as he has many of the same qualities as Nicks and Evans and while I don't expect him to become either of those two I expect that he can become a solid starter inside. None of us know for sure what Emery and the staff think in this regard.

Like I said before I won't be surprised if we draft a guard high but I also won't be surprised if we don't draft one at all. Cooper in round 1 would be sort of an in-between IMO because I would expect him to only be at guard for one year.
I'd have no problem with giving Carimi a chance. I think he can be a starter. Just dont know where.

I just dont understand why people put down Angelo for having the same opinions they had.
ahem...I didn't have that opinion, and there's plenty of record of that.

Also, I feel the need to state at this point that Emery is one Reuben Brown away from rebuilding the offensive line the same way that JA did, w/ one exception, he didn't keep the young up and coming home grown talent.

John Tait=Jermon Bushrod
Roberto Garza=Matt Slauson
Olin Kreutz=Lance Louis

Just hope everyone realizes that if Emery doesn't start adding OL talent thru the draft soon, we will find ourselves in the exact same position we did in 2008 a few years from now.


There is one slight difference.

Bushrod and Slauson or 28 years old and the Rueben Brown rebuild featured a number of guys who were 30+.

Also Webb is a 24 year old starter which that group did not have.

But I agree the great teams have a number of young OLmen learning behind veterans.
_________________
WindyCity "He will start week 1 because while he is raw he is shockingly athletic and can pass block. Long is a bigger risk than Cooper and Warmack, but I think he has just as high a ceiling."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group