Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 NFL Draft WR Position Rankings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Klomp

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swiss_vike wrote:
CriminalMind wrote:
Hopkins is looking like a #2 WR at the next level, not what I would want in a 1st round pick.

Reggie Wayne was a #2 quite a long time. With Jennings on board, I wouldn't mind drafting someone like Wayne late in the first round.

In fact, there are no #1 recievers in the mold of Megatron, Fitz, VJack or Green in this draft. Lot's of good second tier ones.

Agreed. I see him in the mold of a Wayne or a Roddy White. Both of whom were late 1sts.

We already have Greg Jennings, in a run-heavy offense that also features a pass-catching TE. Hopkins is the type of WR I want to complement this offense we've built so far.

Having said that, I'd still rather address DT (Williams) and LB (Te'o) in the 1st over WR.
ArcticNorseman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything I've read about Hopkins and watched on film points to him being successful in the NFL. Durability, smarts, good character, excellent body control and positioning, strong but soft hands, and good-but-not-great speed. Yes, people can compare him to Reggie Wayne . . . I compare him more to Cris Carter -- and if he measures up to those two guys, are we really willing to let him slide by in the 1st?

I completely understand there are going to be talented WRs available later in the draft, and the same may be said for DT. I don't believe the CB crop can be ignored though. There are 3-5 1st Rd talents, with two likely going in the top-12 picks (Millener and Rhodes). Of the remainder, I like Trufant's speed, tenacity and length more than the others . . . so, I hope they pick him if he's available.

Hypothetically, if the Vikes select a CB at #23 and the following three are available at #25 (Hopkins, Te'o, and Brown), I say the Vikes select Hopkins and then work like crazy to trade back into the high 2nd round for Brown or Te'o.
minnvikes22

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
That would be a massive over-payment by SF. We would likely have to kick back our 4th in that deal.

It might be a little bit of an over pay for SF. It is 760 ( pick 23) to 852 ( picks 34 and 61 ). So, maybe I would think about adding a 5th to the deal. But, they also might really like a player that might not fall to them.. It could be worth it to them. They are loaded and probably would be happy with adding 2 guys from the 1st round instead of 1 1st round pick and 2 2nd round picks..
Purple Faithful

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quinton Patton's the guy I like. Over Hopkins.
Klomp

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Evan Silva ‏@evansilva 12m
Cris Carter on Cordarrelle Patterson: "I'm concerned about his lack of overall WR skills. Has greatest chance to bust out of the 1st-rd WRs"
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
Quote:
Cris Carter on Cordarrelle Patterson: "I'm concerned about his lack of overall WR skills. Has greatest chance to bust out of the 1st-rd WRs"

Completely agree

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CriminalMind wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Quote:

Completely agree

Patterson also has the most potential to be a truly elite receiver as well. Might be a hit or miss type prospect.

though I think Hunter is more of a risk than Patterson.
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prefer not to taken either Hunter or Patterson with those 1st rounders.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Patterson's floor puts him in the category of a Percy Harvin type player. He isn't as physical as Harvin, but is more elusive. If he never develops as a downfield WR, I think he would still be dynamic as a WR/RB/returner, getting the ball in space and letting him work.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arKnaD7 wrote:
I think Patterson's floor puts him in the category of a Percy Harvin type player. He isn't as physical as Harvin, but is more elusive. If he never develops as a downfield WR, I think he would still be dynamic as a WR/RB/returner, getting the ball in space and letting him work.

This is how i see it as well. Worst case, Patterson becomes a bubble screen, gimmick receiver like Harvin, essentially. There is no denying that Patterson has elite YAC skills and he will immediately contribute as a rookie in a lot of the same ways Harvin was for the Vikings last year. Patterson in space is lethal, but he has that fantastic frame and athletic ability to develop into more than just a gimmick receiver.

Patterson has shown an ability to get down field as well, and get behind the defense for big gains. Spending more time with Jennings and working on routes and the nuances of being a WR would surely help in his development. Patterson is raw no doubt, but his skills as a YAC receiver will immediately help whatever team drafts him from day one.

Unlike some of the other WRs in this draft, Patterson would be able to offer the offense a heck of a lot more in the short passing game as an explosive threat.
joru1000

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Keenan Allen
*smooth as hell in and out of his cuts.
*above average hands
*was the top recruit his high school year by rivals.com and scout.com and hasn't done anything to dispel that honor
*managed to put up good numbers despite having one of the worst quarterback situations of all the 1st round and 2 round caliber wide receivers

*may have average at best straight line speed. 4.48-4.55 forty yard dash expected (still more athletic than a similar prospect in DeAndre Hopkins, though)

2. Cordarelle Patterson
*a taller Percy Harvin

*apparently dumb as a brick
*high bust potential due to unorthodox playing style

3. Tavon Austin
*elite athlete - even more elite than Patterson or Harvin
*fairly polished receiver

*very short

4. DeAndre Hopkins
*essentially Keenan Allen without the good YAC ability/numbers, so why not take Keenan Allen if available?
*slowest of the 1st/2nd rounder receivers

5. Justin Hunter
*very athletic
*good size and measurables
*down the field threat

*inconsistent hands
*may not fit current scheme
ViKingHopeful

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank Costello wrote:
You guys have no idea how happy it makes me to hear all the love for Hopkins. I have been hyping this guy for 2 years now. He is a game changer and would instantly replace what Harvin gave to us. For the most part.

I love Hopkins as well, hands down my favorite receiver in this draft. But I don't see how he'd replace what Harvin gave us. The two are very different receivers. Harvin was limited mostly to the slot for us, and Hopkins looks like a better fit on the outside. Harvin's best asset was his agility/explosiveness and YAC ability, while that's probably the weakest part of Hopkins' game. Hopkins seems like more of a precise route runner and red zone threat with the ability to make contested catches. Both are definitely gamers, though.

If Hopkins were a couple inches taller or a tenth of a second faster I have no doubt he'd be considered the #1 receiver in this class. His measurables don't bother me though, as he plays bigger and faster than he looks on paper.
Lil Uno

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Game Changers - The Interview

Game Changers - The Field

Cool little videos of a few receiver prospects.

Maxx Williams For Mackey
Freakout

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lil Uno wrote:
Game Changers - The Interview

Game Changers - The Field

Cool little videos of a few receiver prospects.

I can't help but to favor Woods in that video. I am tired of the diva attitude that we had with Moss and Harvin. I want a student of the game. Give me another Greg Jennings.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Justin Hunter
2. Tavon Austin
3. Cordarrelle Patterson
4. Keenan Allen
5. Da'Rick Rogers
6. Deandre Hopkins
7. Quinton Patton
8. Aaron Dobson
9. Robert Woods
10. Stedman Bailey

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: