You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.


 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ben takes shot at Haley Pt. I've lost count
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
CKSteeler


Joined: 17 Mar 2013
Posts: 10339
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Ben takes shot at Haley Pt. I've lost count Reply with quote

Quote:
- After Sunday’s win over Buffalo, QB Ben Roethlisberger wasn’t just upset with published reports that had him asking for a trade. Roethlisberger says he wasn’t happy with the team’s continued red zone troubles. Twice, the Steelers settled for field goals against Buffalo. “When we get down there we need to keep staying aggressive and not get too conservative and bring in the extra lineman and play that conservative role,” he said. “We have great weapons, we can still spread them out and run the ball.


http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steelers/steelers-insider-roethlisberger-upset-with-red-zone-troubles/article_b351b49f-e9f1-5b90-9b26-34f49852db6c.html

I think this is a more open shot across the bow than anything he said last year. And I'm glad. Peyton Manning can wave off a punt team and show up his coaches on MNF for their playcalls. This should be Ben's offense.

Also noteworthy from the article, Ben on Cotchery:

Quote:
“He’s a pro’s pro and he works hard at what he does. You reward him.” — Ben Roethlisberger, QB, on veteran WR Jerricho Cotchery not demanding the ball more often.


I have a feeling there are some guys on the offense who aren't 'pro's pros.'
_________________
Mike Tomlin, January 17, 2017 on the avoiding the Patriots in previous playoffs:
"They haven't had to go through us, either. Stay tuned!"
Final: 36-17
NFL.com-BELICHICK OUTCOACHES TOMLIN YET AGAIN
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chrisororke


Joined: 14 Jan 2008
Posts: 544
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peyton Manning can wave off the punt team because he makes plays. He does it consistent enough where you're like oh okay Peyton, go do you. And he does. He earned that. Ben hasn't earned anything. The D won him SB #1 and he almost blew it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
CKSteeler


Joined: 17 Mar 2013
Posts: 10339
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Peyton Manning can wave off the punt team because he makes plays. He does it consistent enough where you're like oh okay Peyton, go do you. And he does. He earned that. Ben hasn't earned anything. The D won him SB #1 and he almost blew it.


Yup, just makes plays...like the gift he gave the Ravens in overtime last year, throwing across his body into coverage. Huge play.

But, hey, you admitted your double standard. That's progress.
_________________
Mike Tomlin, January 17, 2017 on the avoiding the Patriots in previous playoffs:
"They haven't had to go through us, either. Stay tuned!"
Final: 36-17
NFL.com-BELICHICK OUTCOACHES TOMLIN YET AGAIN
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chrisororke


Joined: 14 Jan 2008
Posts: 544
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peyton Manning can wave off the punt team because he makes plays. He does it consistent enough where you're like oh okay Peyton, go do you. And he does. He earned that. Ben hasn't earned anything. The D won him SB #1 and he almost blew it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Steeler Hitman


Joined: 25 Apr 2006
Posts: 1795
Location: Laurel, MD
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't call that a shot at Haley. The bottom line is that the team doesn't have all the bullets in its gun. The OL woes are obvious and opponents do not respect the run (red zone or other). Teams do not respect our ability to pass protect. Blocking and tackling is football. We can't block. Period!

Haley is not Mr. Personality. but no OC can look good without good personnel and execution. Our offense is inconsistent every week because we can't consistently run or pass protect. Haley has made some questionable calls, but if the players performed he would look a lot smarter.

To help, Ben could take the 3 -5 yards instead of trying for a big play all the time. He is risking unnecessary hits and sacks. Until the Steelers get more bullets to fire, it will be tough to be consistent in the red zone or other. The injuries to Spaeth and Plaxico are hurting the red zone offense because you would have a 6'8 and a 6'6 target as well as 6'5 Heath.

Mike Adams has been an unfair scapegoat at LT. There was no one else to play the position. Adams should be the starting RT. Hopefully next year they get a franchise LT, move Pouncey to LG, resign Velasco to play C, move Adams to RT and Beechum back to utility-OL. Draft or sign an athletic TE, tall WR and stay healthy. The offense will look a lot better and Haley's play calling will be better because the team can execute.
_________________
"Being a Steeler fan starts when the sperm meets the egg!" -- Unknown Steeler Fan
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
Steeler Hitman


Joined: 25 Apr 2006
Posts: 1795
Location: Laurel, MD
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisororke wrote:
Peyton Manning can wave off the punt team because he makes plays. He does it consistent enough where you're like oh okay Peyton, go do you. And he does. He earned that. Ben hasn't earned anything. The D won him SB #1 and he almost blew it.


Chris you have some interesting points and you definitely think outside the box. People may not always agree with your points, but sometimes you make good points: However, it looks like you sometimes drink the hater-ade. This is one of those times.

Peyton looks more mortal without Ryan Clady protecting him. Your assessment of Ben is way off dude. He won SB #2 after the defense gave up a late TD. The team lost SB #3 because Ben didn't get protection and the defense couldn't stop Aaron and company.

Give Ben the same tools as Peyton and watch what he will do. I am not saying Ben is as good as Peyton, but he is 2-1 in SB's to Peyton's 1-1 in less time. Ben is a baller and a franchise QB. Love him or hate him, he is a competitor and winner on the football field.

Weapons and protection can make most any QB look good: Just ask Colin Kapernick and Joe Flacco.
_________________
"Being a Steeler fan starts when the sperm meets the egg!" -- Unknown Steeler Fan
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
Dcash4


Joined: 21 Apr 2008
Posts: 1486
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quarterback wants more weapons on the field? Color me surprised.

Honestly, I think comments like this are going to continue to make headlines because people WANT there to be a knock down drag out fight on the sidelines between Ben and Haley, and they just are not getting it. Are they the perfect couple? No. Do you really like all your co-workers? It happens - just their working relationship is a lot more public.

We do have weapons, but we have ZERO red zone weapons. Our struggles down there will continue until we actually get one. Haley going big is at least an adjustment...just didn't get the desired results.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
treat88


Joined: 03 Mar 2006
Posts: 6722
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haley is a skidmark on the organizations shorts.
_________________



"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FourThreeMafia


Joined: 28 Sep 2006
Posts: 63655
Location: East of Sixburgh
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisororke wrote:
Peyton Manning can wave off the punt team because he makes plays. He does it consistent enough where you're like oh okay Peyton, go do you. And he does. He earned that. Ben hasn't earned anything. The D won him SB #1 and he almost blew it.


And Ben won SB 2 and the D almost blew it.

What's your point?

SB3, they both struggled. If it werent for Jordy Nelson dropping about 5 passes, we probably wouldve lose by 20+.

Manning is definitely better than Ben....but saying Ben hasnt earned anything is just yet another example of why no one on here takes you too seriously. I'm not Ben's biggest fan by a long shot, but I recognize we have been lucky to have him.

Oh....and go look at the playoffs the year Peyton Manning won his only SB and tell me who got the Colts through the first two games of the postseason....

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200701060clt.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200701130rav.htm

And he wasnt that great in the other 2 games either.

You say Ben almost choked away SB1......well, the major differences between Ben and Peyton winning their first Superbowls are 1) Ben was in his 2nd year and Peyton was in his 9th and b) Ben sucked in the Superbowl but we never wouldve made it there without him and Manning sucked in the playoffs and never wouldve made it there without his defense.

Keep hating.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JustPlainNasty


Joined: 11 Feb 2008
Posts: 7328
Location: Las Vegas
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
chrisororke wrote:
Peyton Manning can wave off the punt team because he makes plays. He does it consistent enough where you're like oh okay Peyton, go do you. And he does. He earned that. Ben hasn't earned anything. The D won him SB #1 and he almost blew it.


And Ben won SB 2 and the D almost blew it.

What's your point?

SB3, they both struggled. If it werent for Jordy Nelson dropping about 5 passes, we probably wouldve lose by 20+.

Manning is definitely better than Ben....but saying Ben hasnt earned anything is just yet another example of why no one on here takes you too seriously. I'm not Ben's biggest fan by a long shot, but I recognize we have been lucky to have him.

Oh....and go look at the playoffs the year Peyton Manning won his only SB and tell me who got the Colts through the first two games of the postseason....

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200701060clt.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200701130rav.htm

And he wasnt that great in the other 2 games either.

You say Ben almost choked away SB1......well, the major differences between Ben and Peyton winning their first Superbowls are 1) Ben was in his 2nd year and Peyton was in his 9th and b) Ben sucked in the Superbowl but we never wouldve made it there without him and Manning sucked in the playoffs and never wouldve made it there without his defense.

Keep hating.


There are things I don't like about Ben but no one can say he didn't play amazing vs Indy and Denver in that Super Bowl run and by far his performance was what carried us through those two games. His game vs Denver was nothing short of amazing actually. It is easy to forget that when overshadowed by the big game I suppose.
_________________
Do something you love so much you'd gladly do it for free, learn to do it so well, people will gladly pay you for it. - Walt Disney
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FourThreeMafia


Joined: 28 Sep 2006
Posts: 63655
Location: East of Sixburgh
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustPlainNasty wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
chrisororke wrote:
Peyton Manning can wave off the punt team because he makes plays. He does it consistent enough where you're like oh okay Peyton, go do you. And he does. He earned that. Ben hasn't earned anything. The D won him SB #1 and he almost blew it.


And Ben won SB 2 and the D almost blew it.

What's your point?

SB3, they both struggled. If it werent for Jordy Nelson dropping about 5 passes, we probably wouldve lose by 20+.

Manning is definitely better than Ben....but saying Ben hasnt earned anything is just yet another example of why no one on here takes you too seriously. I'm not Ben's biggest fan by a long shot, but I recognize we have been lucky to have him.

Oh....and go look at the playoffs the year Peyton Manning won his only SB and tell me who got the Colts through the first two games of the postseason....

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200701060clt.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200701130rav.htm

And he wasnt that great in the other 2 games either.

You say Ben almost choked away SB1......well, the major differences between Ben and Peyton winning their first Superbowls are 1) Ben was in his 2nd year and Peyton was in his 9th and b) Ben sucked in the Superbowl but we never wouldve made it there without him and Manning sucked in the playoffs and never wouldve made it there without his defense.

Keep hating.


There are things I don't like about Ben but no one can say he didn't play amazing vs Indy and Denver in that Super Bowl run and by far his performance was what carried us through those two games. His game vs Denver was nothing short of amazing actually. It is easy to forget that when overshadowed by the big game I suppose.


I know....its hilarious how often people bring up Ben's struggles in SBXL but dont recognize how well he played in the games leading up to it. Also how people are willing to ignore Manning's poor play in the first 2 1/2 games of the 2006 postseason (turned it around in the 2nd half of the Pats game).

The 2nd half of the Bengals game thru the AFC Championship games, Ben firmly established himself as our franchise QB. He was lights out, as you said. And while he struggled in the SB, he made some key plays that helped win that game.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BigSnack


Joined: 04 Apr 2008
Posts: 995
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's so convenient to forget that Ben completed 68% for 680 yds and a 7:1 td:int in the playoffs leading up to his first superbowl. That great defense doesnt get a chance at a title without his play that year.
_________________
Dook wrote:
D.Revis24 wrote:
What was his injury last season that forced him to miss 5 games?


Yeast infection.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FourThreeMafia


Joined: 28 Sep 2006
Posts: 63655
Location: East of Sixburgh
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigSnack wrote:
It's so convenient to forget that Ben completed 68% for 680 yds and a 7:1 td:int in the playoffs leading up to his first superbowl. That great defense doesnt get a chance at a title without his play that year.


And if I recall correctly, that one INT was a tipped pass at the LOS.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GreasyApples


Joined: 11 Mar 2007
Posts: 637
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisororke wrote:
Ben hasn't earned anything.


Is it against forum rules to say you hate someone?

Stoudt Malone Woodley Brister Tomczak Graham O'Donnell Stewart....a few QBs between Bradshaw and Ben that contributed zilch in the SB rings column.

I just don't get your hate for Roethlisberger at all.
_________________
His name is David Paulson. His name is David Paulson. His name is David Paulson.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The Curtain


Joined: 24 Sep 2012
Posts: 765
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steeler Hitman wrote:
chrisororke wrote:
Peyton Manning can wave off the punt team because he makes plays. He does it consistent enough where you're like oh okay Peyton, go do you. And he does. He earned that. Ben hasn't earned anything. The D won him SB #1 and he almost blew it.


Chris you have some interesting points and you definitely think outside the box. People may not always agree with your points, but sometimes you make good points: However, it looks like you sometimes drink the hater-ade. This is one of those times.

Peyton looks more mortal without Ryan Clady protecting him. Your assessment of Ben is way off dude. He won SB #2 after the defense gave up a late TD. The team lost SB #3 because Ben didn't get protection and the defense couldn't stop Aaron and company.

Give Ben the same tools as Peyton and watch what he will do. I am not saying Ben is as good as Peyton, but he is 2-1 in SB's to Peyton's 1-1 in less time. Ben is a baller and a franchise QB. Love him or hate him, he is a competitor and winner on the football field.

Weapons and protection can make most any QB look good: Just ask Colin Kapernick and Joe Flacco.


It's a very good point. Since Ben has come into the league, he's lost his number one receiver 4 times to the off season. Heck, even a guy like Nate Washington who went on to be pretty good. How many other QBs can say that? We saw how good Brady was/is without Moss, Welker, Gronk, Hernandez.

Ben has consistently got it done with whatever they give him. He may not put up the elite stats, but he's shown that he can when he's actually in position to.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group