Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Pittsburgh Pirate Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stefan52268

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great win last night. An unbelievable scene at Pnc Park and the North Shore.

I'm in downtown Pittsburgh right now in the rain and people are all a buzz about the Buccos!

Let's go BUCS

End the Cardinals tonight.

Props to Lyasr529 on the sweet sig!
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
frankly, the crowd I think helped that a lot. The Cardinals looked seriously on edge and off their game last night.

I'm sure it helped but the cards were crushing the ball most the game. Didn't seem on edge to me.

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
wwhickok

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly not trying to look beyond this post season, but I'm curious what everyone thinks will happen with the pitching rotation next season in terms of AJ Burnett. I'm assuming he won't be a part of it next season, I could be wrong but his season this year was not anywhere near as strong imo as it was last year, there have been signifcant signs of decline.

There's no question in my mind that Liriano, Morton, & Cole are obvious features imo, but beyond that, where do you see our pitching staff headed?

Do you foresee Jeff Locke returning to the rotation? While I certainly appreciate the 'win now' mentality, I hope trading away Vic Black doesn't come back to haunt us.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
Wardfan05

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
Certainly not trying to look beyond this post season, but I'm curious what everyone thinks will happen with the pitching rotation next season in terms of AJ Burnett. I'm assuming he won't be a part of it next season, I could be wrong but his season this year was not anywhere near as strong imo as it was last year, there have been signifcant signs of decline.

There's no question in my mind that Liriano, Morton, & Cole are obvious features imo, but beyond that, where do you see our pitching staff headed?

Do you foresee Jeff Locke returning to the rotation? While I certainly appreciate the 'win now' mentality, I hope trading away Vic Black doesn't come back to haunt us.

I think A.J. retires after this season. We'll certainly miss his leadership and attitude, but depending on how Liriano does next year, AJ would be #3 at best.

Is Tallion ready to move up at some point next year? We also have Wandy coming back next year as well.

- Thanks, Joe_is_the_best
wwhickok

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wardfan05 wrote:
wwhickok wrote:

I think A.J. retires after this season. We'll certainly miss his leadership and attitude, but depending on how Liriano does next year, AJ would be #3 at best.

Is Tallion ready to move up at some point next year? We also have Wandy coming back next year as well.

I forgot all about Wandy, I think given how Cole has worked out, the risk in moving Tallion up might be minimal, if it doesn't work out initially they can always send him back down for a while.

I could possibly see them 'demoting' AJ to a Relief, where I think he could excel at this point in his career, but let's be honest, I don't think the club would want to disrespect him like that and I don't think he'd stay for that role, he'd likely retire first, couldn't say I'd blame him.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
The Curtain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJ hopefully retires. We can't seriously offer him anything other than average number 3 starter kind of money, if that. Everyone loves his fire, but he's all but done at this point.

Rotation will be fine. Probably even better, since Gerritt Cole has matured leaps and bounds since this Summer. He could very well be the next Verlander. And a lot of scouts think Taillon is BETTER than Cole. And Taillon will be up next season at some point. Morton/Locke/Wandy will be back end guys. Frankie/Cole up front. We have many options for a fifth starter, if anyone doesn't pitch well. I wouldn't worry about it. This team is very deep when it comes to pitching.

They traded half their MLB/AAA bullpen this year and still didn't miss a beat.
wwhickok

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Curtain wrote:
AJ hopefully retires. We can't seriously offer him anything other than average number 3 starter kind of money, if that. Everyone loves his fire, but he's all but done at this point.

Rotation will be fine. Probably even better, since Gerritt Cole has matured leaps and bounds since this Summer. He could very well be the next Verlander. And a lot of scouts think Taillon is BETTER than Cole. And Taillon will be up next season at some point. Morton/Locke/Wandy will be back end guys. Frankie/Cole up front. We have many options for a fifth starter, if anyone doesn't pitch well. I wouldn't worry about it. This team is very deep when it comes to pitching.

They traded half their MLB/AAA bullpen this year and still didn't miss a beat.

RIGHT! How exciting is that looking forward? This team is going to be a serious threat in future seasons! Hopefully they continue to push deeper into the playoffs this season too!

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
The Curtain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, what people need to realize is that this is only the beginning. They're challenging for a WS title right NOW. Yet there's still so much talent on its way up. Taillon/Polanco next year could be huge difference makers. They just drafted a couple more stud position players this year.

The biggest thing I love about this team is the change in culture. These guys are fired up, they're excited, they have their little clubhouse gimmicks like Zoltan, Shark Tank, they bring in a vet like Byrd who gets highly motivated just by playing with this bunch, everything came together this year for Neal Huntington's plan.

Intrigued to see how they handle the off season. This is the first off season...ever...where FA's are going to want to come to Pittsburgh. Who isn't going to want to play in front of that PNC crowd in October? The MLB found a new power in the Pirates, other small market clubs make the post season and can't even sell out a game.
1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wardfan05 wrote:
wwhickok wrote:

The Pirates hold the club option on him for next season. With him missing the majority of the season there is no guarantee the Pirates want him back. The Astros would pay for $5.5 million if they pick it up while the Pirates would pay $7.5 of the total $13 million. They could buy him out for $2.5 though.

EDIT: Baseball-Reference.com, which I got my info from, was wrong and it's a PLAYER option that is in his contract. Not a club option so he will be back in the starting rotation next season.

Many thanks to UniversalAuthor on the reigning MVP's sig!

Last edited by 1BackInBlackFan on Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:45 am; edited 1 time in total
wwhickok

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not looking good right now but the heart of our lineup is coming up to bat next.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
wwhickok

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was pretty deflating to watch McCutchen in a clutch situation pop the ball up to shallow center, especially in a game where we got 1 hit.

I gotta be honest; I don't love our chances in game 5.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well we've got a Game 5. Only one hit and still only lost by run unfortunately. The leadoff walk hurt Morton. Wacha was phenomenal.

Got to go with Cole. Burnett's numbers in St. Louis have been atrocious.

wwhickok

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ONLY thing that worries me is that it is a road game; it's not like we haven't won their before it's just not an easy thing to do, foranyone especially in the playoffs.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will indeed be Cole who starts Game 5.

JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very happy the time got changed... now I can get off work take my time getting home and plop down on the couch with dinner ready to watch all of the game...

Here's hoping its a great one!

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 22 of 24

Jump to: