Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Pittsburgh Pirate Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stefan52268

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to the April 20th game too SC.

I can't wait til tomorrow. I guess that i'm the only one going to the opener!?

Props to Lyasr529 on the sweet sig!
The Curtain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously doubt they get over .500 this season. Pitching staff is going to have to pitch way above their heads, and they seemed to do that last season and still couldn't break .500.

There's a much more competitive balance now in baseball, than say 10 years ago, though. A team like the Pirates has the same shot as most other teams right now. And most other teams don't have Andrew McCutchen.

I just don't feel that optimistic until we truly establish a GREAT pitcher, which will hopefully be Gerrit Cole. JMac/Burnett/Wandy aren't bad or anything, but none of them are great. We need a next-level pitcher.
stefan52268

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cold at PNC Park. At least the sun came out.

Let's Go Bucs!

JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Burnett is pitching a decent game outside of the 2-run HR. Only 5 hits, 10 Ks.

Getting no offense as usual... only Walker has a hit.

thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
KJtheWicked

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samardzija always has had the Pirates number. I can't remember them ever beating up on him

Go Noles!
The Curtain

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was filthy today, though so was AJ. Samardzjida was hitting upper 90's and mixing in the off speed/breaking stuff real well.
Josh C Smith

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tough loss yesterday. We wasted a good start by AJ. Burnett had some nasty stuff just hurt us big with giving up that home run. Really after that he settled down nicely, had a ton of strikeouts and got out of a huge jam I'm the 4th.

Jeff Samarja was excellent, sometimes you just have to tip your cap to the other guy. I had a good feeling in the 9th but unfortunately we couldn't get the extra big hit to bail us out at the end.

Oh well maybe well get them tomorrow. I hope we move Jones to the 5th spot and put Walker at 2.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
wwhickok

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up loving baseball, I enjoyed baseball before I ever learned about football and got into that. The Pirates were always the team I was drawn too, I have no idea why.. Although at the same time, Cal Ripken Jr was my favorite player growing up, I just couldn't stand the Orioles lol.

I die a little every time I cheer for the Pirates. They always talk up their pitching staff but honestly, it's so friggin' inconsistent. They have maybe 2 or 3 legit sluggers on that team and one of them was invited to the Home Run Derby out of 'pity'. I really like McCutchen but I can't help but fear that sooner or later he is going to be traded for prospects. These team does have a ton of potential and if they could put it all together I think they'd be really good, playoff capable even. The problem is when Mid July/August rolls around they always seem to fall apart. Day 1 didn't exactly spill over with optimism.
The Curtain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I ask what makes you think the Pirates would trade McCutchen, especially after extending him last year, solely for him to be the face of the franchise?

Still not really sure why the Pirates have a "he'll get traded for prospects" mentality from fans. It's been a long time since they've 'dumped' a meaningful player for prospects when it didn't make complete sense.
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
I grew up loving baseball, I enjoyed baseball before I ever learned about football and got into that. The Pirates were always the team I was drawn too, I have no idea why.. Although at the same time, Cal Ripken Jr was my favorite player growing up, I just couldn't stand the Orioles lol.

Cal will forever be my favorite player along with George Brett!

wwhickok wrote:
I die a little every time I cheer for the Pirates. They always talk up their pitching staff but honestly, it's so friggin' inconsistent. They have maybe 2 or 3 legit sluggers on that team and one of them was invited to the Home Run Derby out of 'pity'. I really like McCutchen but I can't help but fear that sooner or later he is going to be traded for prospects. These team does have a ton of potential and if they could put it all together I think they'd be really good, playoff capable even. The problem is when Mid July/August rolls around they always seem to fall apart. Day 1 didn't exactly spill over with optimism.

Ehh.... been a fan for 30 years... sure it hurts and sucks being without a winning team since the 1st Bush was in office but I am a Pirate fan til the day I die.

thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
stefan52268

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDLefebvre wrote:
wwhickok wrote:

wwhickok wrote:

Ehh.... been a fan for 30 years... sure it hurts and sucks being without a winning team since the 1st Bush was in office but I am a Pirate fan til the day I die.

Agree with your bolded comment JD. 30 plus years for me. I take so much flack from friends about the Buccos. Let's hope this is the year! I want to throw it back at them finally. Wink

wwhickok

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stefan52268 wrote:
JDLefebvre wrote:
wwhickok wrote:

wwhickok wrote:

Agree with your bolded comment JD. 30 plus years for me. I take so much flack from friends about the Buccos. Let's hope this is the year! I want to throw it back at them finally. Wink

I 100% agree with both of you. I'm a Penguins fan, Steelers fan, and Pirates fan. I've always been drawn to Pittsburgh Sports, Idk y, but I will cheer for them as a ghost.
1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Josh C Smith wrote:
Tough loss yesterday. We wasted a good start by AJ. Burnett had some nasty stuff just hurt us big with giving up that home run. Really after that he settled down nicely, had a ton of strikeouts and got out of a huge jam I'm the 4th.

Jeff Samarja was excellent, sometimes you just have to tip your cap to the other guy. I had a good feeling in the 9th but unfortunately we couldn't get the extra big hit to bail us out at the end.

Oh well maybe well get them tomorrow. I hope we move Jones to the 5th spot and put Walker at 2.

That lineup surprised the heck out of me. Confused I rather have Jones lower in the lineup and Walker near to the top as well.

Many thanks to UniversalAuthor for Big Ben's sig
1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The top and bottom of the ninth inning basically was a microcosm of the past 20 years for the Pirates.

Many thanks to UniversalAuthor for Big Ben's sig
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1BackInBlackFan wrote:
The top and bottom of the ninth inning basically was a microcosm of the past 20 years for the Pirates.

Brick wall

thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 2 of 24

Jump to: