Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Contract Extensions - Mack and Ward

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
toneloke23


Joined: 06 Mar 2005
Posts: 374
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Contract Extensions - Mack and Ward Reply with quote

I'd really like to see the contracts for Alex Mack and TJ Ward extended as they both only have one year left remaining. Does this typically occur right after the draft prior to beginning of regular season?

Of the rest of these guys when expiring contracts in 2014. Which of the following expiring 2014 player contracts would you like to see resigned.

Usama Young
Colt McCoy
Christopher Owens
Shawn Lauvao
Oniel Cousins
Chris Ogbonnaya
Montario Hardesty
John Greco
Brian Sanford
Thaddeus Lewis
Adrian Motenat
Hall Davis
Craig Robertson
Jarrod Shaw
Prince Miller
Josh Cooper
Brad Smelley
Kevin Barnes
Kellen Davis
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dropkick_pride


Joined: 18 Jan 2009
Posts: 10805
Location: C-bus
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Contract Extensions - Mack and Ward Reply with quote

all depends on performance, but many of those guys wont even make the 53 THIS year. I only see maybe 3 guys realistic sticking around out of that list past next year.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cattleman78


Joined: 13 Oct 2005
Posts: 6959
Location: ohio
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the way most players didn't get what they wanted money wise in free agency I wonder what Mack and Ward would get. At one time I thought Mack would get 7.5 -8 million a year now I'm thinking 6 million a year.
_________________
browns and indian fan 7272


Adopted Brown Tashaun Gipson safety
vs. g.bay 7 tackles,2 asst. tackles and 1 pass defended
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
braylonsHands


Joined: 16 Sep 2008
Posts: 1312
Location: Cleveland
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cattleman78 wrote:
With the way most players didn't get what they wanted money wise in free agency I wonder what Mack and Ward would get. At one time I thought Mack would get 7.5 -8 million a year now I'm thinking 6 million a year.


Even 6 per for a C will likely make him one of, if not the highest paid center in the league?
_________________


Skipping over sleeper43 posts since 4/19/09
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
zelbell


Joined: 08 Feb 2010
Posts: 7847
Location: Rammy on the Bosa sig
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

braylonsHands wrote:
cattleman78 wrote:
With the way most players didn't get what they wanted money wise in free agency I wonder what Mack and Ward would get. At one time I thought Mack would get 7.5 -8 million a year now I'm thinking 6 million a year.


Even 6 per for a C will likely make him one of, if not the highest paid center in the league?


About 5th highest paid center http://www.spotrac.com/top-salaries/nfl/average/center/

and he's definitely top 5 IMO
_________________

Adopt a Brown: Josh Gordon
2014 Stats: stay tuned?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
braylonsHands


Joined: 16 Sep 2008
Posts: 1312
Location: Cleveland
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zelbell wrote:
braylonsHands wrote:
cattleman78 wrote:
With the way most players didn't get what they wanted money wise in free agency I wonder what Mack and Ward would get. At one time I thought Mack would get 7.5 -8 million a year now I'm thinking 6 million a year.


Even 6 per for a C will likely make him one of, if not the highest paid center in the league?


About 5th highest paid center http://www.spotrac.com/top-salaries/nfl/average/center/

and he's definitely top 5 IMO


I guess since we have the cap space. I'm not sure I'd be thrilled about to much more than that.
_________________


Skipping over sleeper43 posts since 4/19/09
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
NewWorldOrder


Joined: 10 Jan 2013
Posts: 956
Location: Cleveland
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely would love to see Mack get an extension. Ward I am not as sure. I love him as a player, I'd like to see him stay healthy this season, before signing him to an extension. I think our FO is going to wait until next offseason before extending anybody. Our team has some good, young talent, and I think our FO will wait to see results before extending anyone.

I understand that we need to keep the talent that we have. Looking into the future, we have several young, talented players whom may be more of a priority to extend going forward. By waiting a year, it becomes easier to see who to extend, and who to replace, without maxing up our cap and letting a superstar(if one emerges) walk.
_________________

Every time the Browns start a new QB, a puppy dies!
Adopt-A-Browne: Mike Lombardi
2013 stats...2 head coaches fired, &over 300 cups of coffee served daily to Banner.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TeHDruiD


Joined: 01 Jan 2010
Posts: 6992
Location: Canton, OH
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NewWorldOrder wrote:
I definitely would love to see Mack get an extension. Ward I am not as sure. I love him as a player, I'd like to see him stay healthy this season, before signing him to an extension. I think our FO is going to wait until next offseason before extending anybody. Our team has some good, young talent, and I think our FO will wait to see results before extending anyone.

I understand that we need to keep the talent that we have. Looking into the future, we have several young, talented players whom may be more of a priority to extend going forward. By waiting a year, it becomes easier to see who to extend, and who to replace, without maxing up our cap and letting a superstar(if one emerges) walk.


I think that becomes the dilemma with Ward. It's not really the case with Mack because you know what you're getting, so that part of your post definitely applies to him. But TJ Ward is very talented, if you pay him now you might get him at a discount, because if he goes out this year and tears it up, that's 2-4m more per year he's going to want, possibly even more

With the new 3 day tampering period, teams are going to throw money at him and it might become too much for the Browns. At the same time though, the risk is that he gets injured or straight up stinks and if you give him a decent contract now it might bite you. I don't know, I think he's a dang good safety and will only get better. I'd assume the minimal risk of resigning him now
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cattleman78


Joined: 13 Oct 2005
Posts: 6959
Location: ohio
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Spotrac here are Macks,Ward and Hadens cap hits.

Mack 5.03 million. If he gets 6 million a year his cap hit goes up 1 million.

Ward 1.98 million if he gets 4.5 million a year cap hit goes up 2.5 million

Haden 2013 cap hit 9.22 million 2014 cap hit 8.96 million If he gets 11 million a year his cap hit goes up 2 million.

So we are looking at a total of around 5.5 million more in cap hits on these three players. Now it could be a little higher but this is in the ball park.

To summarize we are in good shape on these players and with the teams general cap situation.
_________________
browns and indian fan 7272


Adopted Brown Tashaun Gipson safety
vs. g.bay 7 tackles,2 asst. tackles and 1 pass defended
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nugpimpen


Joined: 18 Feb 2006
Posts: 20363
Location: 10 Miles South of Cleveland
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cattleman78 wrote:
According to Spotrac here are Macks,Ward and Hadens cap hits.

Mack 5.03 million. If he gets 6 million a year his cap hit goes up 1 million.

Ward 1.98 million if he gets 4.5 million a year cap hit goes up 2.5 million

Haden 2013 cap hit 9.22 million 2014 cap hit 8.96 million If he gets 11 million a year his cap hit goes up 2 million.

So we are looking at a total of around 5.5 million more in cap hits on these three players. Now it could be a little higher but this is in the ball park.

To summarize we are in good shape on these players and with the teams general cap situation.


Wow that is a lot sexier than I imagined
_________________


IDOG_det on the incredible sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NewWorldOrder


Joined: 10 Jan 2013
Posts: 956
Location: Cleveland
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TeHDruiD wrote:
NewWorldOrder wrote:
I definitely would love to see Mack get an extension. Ward I am not as sure. I love him as a player, I'd like to see him stay healthy this season, before signing him to an extension. I think our FO is going to wait until next offseason before extending anybody. Our team has some good, young talent, and I think our FO will wait to see results before extending anyone.

I understand that we need to keep the talent that we have. Looking into the future, we have several young, talented players whom may be more of a priority to extend going forward. By waiting a year, it becomes easier to see who to extend, and who to replace, without maxing up our cap and letting a superstar(if one emerges) walk.


I think that becomes the dilemma with Ward. It's not really the case with Mack because you know what you're getting, so that part of your post definitely applies to him. But TJ Ward is very talented, if you pay him now you might get him at a discount, because if he goes out this year and tears it up, that's 2-4m more per year he's going to want, possibly even more

With the new 3 day tampering period, teams are going to throw money at him and it might become too much for the Browns. At the same time though, the risk is that he gets injured or straight up stinks and if you give him a decent contract now it might bite you. I don't know, I think he's a dang good safety and will only get better. I'd assume the minimal risk of resigning him now


I agree with you that Ward is the bigger question mark. Also, I found a link that gives us some insight as to how Banner views signing players to contracts:
http://articles.mcall.com/2012-04-28/sports/mc-eagles-salary-cap-0428-20120428_1_salary-cap-desean-jackson-eagles-president-joe-banner

Here is a quote on that site from Banner,

"It's a very precise process of going through it with the personnel department and in our case with Andy on who we think are the comparable players [around the league] and when were their deals done and what was the value and if it was two years ago, how much has the cap gone up since then to adjust kind of a present value," Banner explained. "You look at their health history, how much of the deal is guaranteed, how much is paid out over the first two years and all those questions. And then you have a very football [oriented] analysis in translating it into dollars and cents."

So I wonder if based on injury history, how far apart Ward and the Browns will be if extension is talked about this year. Again, I like TJ, but IMO, I don't see us extending him this year, unless it's at a bargain rate.
_________________

Every time the Browns start a new QB, a puppy dies!
Adopt-A-Browne: Mike Lombardi
2013 stats...2 head coaches fired, &over 300 cups of coffee served daily to Banner.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kelbot


Joined: 12 Dec 2006
Posts: 2154
Location: Dayton, OH
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TeHDruiD wrote:
NewWorldOrder wrote:
I definitely would love to see Mack get an extension. Ward I am not as sure. I love him as a player, I'd like to see him stay healthy this season, before signing him to an extension. I think our FO is going to wait until next offseason before extending anybody. Our team has some good, young talent, and I think our FO will wait to see results before extending anyone.

I understand that we need to keep the talent that we have. Looking into the future, we have several young, talented players whom may be more of a priority to extend going forward. By waiting a year, it becomes easier to see who to extend, and who to replace, without maxing up our cap and letting a superstar(if one emerges) walk.


I think that becomes the dilemma with Ward. It's not really the case with Mack because you know what you're getting, so that part of your post definitely applies to him. But TJ Ward is very talented, if you pay him now you might get him at a discount, because if he goes out this year and tears it up, that's 2-4m more per year he's going to want, possibly even more

With the new 3 day tampering period, teams are going to throw money at him and it might become too much for the Browns. At the same time though, the risk is that he gets injured or straight up stinks and if you give him a decent contract now it might bite you. I don't know, I think he's a dang good safety and will only get better. I'd assume the minimal risk of resigning him now


Mack is much harder to replace. SEC schools are stocked full of big hitting in-the-box safeties. Hell, all of college football is. Michael Huff (not really a Ward-type) only got 2mil per year. Wilson got a 1 year deal. Bernard Pollard got cut and signed a small deal.
_________________
There's always money in the banana stand
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mas_atc


Joined: 20 Mar 2006
Posts: 1378
Location: Akron, Ohio
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody ever think maybe it is not the FO that is waiting to extend, but maybe the player?? I could see this in Mack's case, maybe not TJ. You do not always hear about the negotiations that are going on. I think it is very plausible to think that Mack wants to see how well the staff does as much as they want to see how he does. There has been just a little turn over since he was drafted Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group