Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Official 2013 New Orleans Saints General Draft Talk
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Spartica4Real


Joined: 26 Jan 2013
Posts: 3520
Location: Louisiana
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: Official 2013 New Orleans Saints General Draft Talk Reply with quote

The draft is right around the corner, and we need to discuss it!

I do not want this to happen, BUT, how would you guys feel if we took Tavon Austin? We have no TRUE slot wide receiver, as both Colston and Moore fit better as outside receivers, and we are starting to slowly lose talent on offense, and we, it hurts me to say this, but we may not be able to sign big Jimmy next year. I mean, we have no pressing needs on defense that should be addressed with 15, there are needs, just no huge ones with the singings of Lewis & Butler. We could use LB depth, but you don't draft depth in the first round. I don't see JJ there, no safeties are worth 15. What would you say if Payton can't resist?
_________________


PSN: The_SlayerSaint (PS4)

Adopt a Saint 2014:
Cam Jordan:
Joseph Morgan:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
whodatworm23


Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 3135
Location: Nawlins
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 2013 New Orleans Saints General Draft Talk Reply with quote

Spartica4Real wrote:
The draft is right around the corner, and we need to discuss it!


Hell yes!!! Laughing

As far as Austin, here's the deal... the fact is IF the Saints were to select him at 15 everyone would be in there right to complain about the fact that the Saints once again ignored to address the defensive woes that they have been suffering but the one thing we could all agree on is that Austin is such a dynamic playmaker that his selection does in fact warrant a top 15 pick.

Personally I feel the Saints cannot afford to go offense other than left tackle in this years top round. If all the top 3 tackles (Joeckel, Fisher & Johnson) are off the board and a guy like Austin is the top prospect available then the Saints MUST find a trade partner and move down. I also would not rule out the possibility of the Saints trading up in this draft to secure either a guy they feel could be a dynamic defensive playmaker or a franchise left tackle for them.

The Saints have options and I expect all of them to be explored.
_________________


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Spartica4Real


Joined: 26 Jan 2013
Posts: 3520
Location: Louisiana
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: Official 2013 New Orleans Saints General Draft Talk Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
Spartica4Real wrote:
The draft is right around the corner, and we need to discuss it!


Hell yes!!! Laughing

As far as Austin, here's the deal... the fact is IF the Saints were to select him at 15 everyone would be in there right to complain about the fact that the Saints once again ignored to address the defensive woes that they have been suffering but the one thing we could all agree on is that Austin is such a dynamic playmaker that his selection does in fact warrant a top 15 pick.

Personally I feel the Saints cannot afford to go offense other than left tackle in this years top round. If all the top 3 tackles (Joeckel, Fisher & Johnson) are off the board and a guy like Austin is the top prospect available then the Saints MUST find a trade partner and move down. I also would not rule out the possibility of the Saints trading up in this draft to secure either a guy they feel could be a dynamic defensive playmaker or a franchise left tackle for them.

The Saints have options and I expect all of them to be explored.


It's Sean Payton we're talking about though. Trust me, I don't want it, but as you said yourself, how many times have Payton and Co. got you upset on draft day? Payton loves his offensive toys..
_________________


PSN: The_SlayerSaint (PS4)

Adopt a Saint 2014:
Cam Jordan:
Joseph Morgan:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Harper41


Joined: 29 Aug 2009
Posts: 21290
Location: Roll Tide Country
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all honesty. Payton really hasn't drafted that many offensive players. He took Ingram and Meachem. A #2 WR was a huge need at the time, and while we all wanted defense, Meachem wasn't a bad pick at the time and I hated the Ingram pick, still do, but Payton wanted that power back. Other then that, its been defense every year. I don't know where this "Payton will go offense" myth came from.
_________________

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Thought someone broke into my house.
Jumped out of bed (left my brother)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
whodatworm23


Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 3135
Location: Nawlins
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
In all honesty. Payton really hasn't drafted that many offensive players. He took Ingram and Meachem. A #2 WR was a huge need at the time, and while we all wanted defense, Meachem wasn't a bad pick at the time and I hated the Ingram pick, still do, but Payton wanted that power back. Other then that, its been defense every year. I don't know where this "Payton will go offense" myth came from.


I agree with Harp here... I kinda think Payton (if he ever felt that way) has learned his lesson from past experiences. When he drafted Meachem when we desperately need a corner he ended up regretting it for Meachem, while a decent player never lived up to what he was drafted to be. Years latter he made a bigger mistake with Mark Ingram and has thus suffered the same faith.

I doubt Payton will make the same mistake again after the following season our defense had.

The Saints will go defense in round 1 either at 15, trade up or trade down they will go defense. The left tackle position will be addressed but I feel the answer to that will come out of left field and surprise us all.
_________________


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
krewebrees


Joined: 10 Feb 2013
Posts: 359
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've prepared my self for whatever Payton will do in the draft. I'm starting to run through every option in my head and finding the silver lining.

Here's Austin's:
Recently when has our defense been good? You could make an arguement for 09. Ok So that was the year we won the Super Bowl, but 06 we should have gone, 10 we had a shot, and 11 came close. My point is we've never had a good defense. We've always got it don't by mostly offense. Yes our D sucked last year, but I think it will get better on the scheme/staff change alone. So why not make what wins us games better our offense, in particular our passing offense. Yes Morgan and Toon look promising, but how proven are they. I like them, but would have no problem if Payton took Austin at 15.
_________________

Adopt a Saint 2014
Jimmy Graham:
Glenn Foster:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Raves


Moderator
Joined: 03 Mar 2006
Posts: 17693
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally have Keenan Allen ranked higher than Austin, for the Saints. Capable of being a #1, #2, or slot Wr, able to contribute in the return game, and he going to he able to take a hit better than Austin.
_________________

2013 Adopt-A-Saint
TE Jimmy Graham-86 rec, 1215 yds, 16 TDs
WR Kenny Still-34 rec, 641 yds, 5 TDs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jcvoodoo


Joined: 26 Jan 2012
Posts: 434
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raves wrote:
I personally have Keenan Allen ranked higher than Austin, for the Saints. Capable of being a #1, #2, or slot Wr, able to contribute in the return game, and he going to he able to take a hit better than Austin.


I'd have to go with Raves here...

Allen stands out IMO as the more versatile wide-out with more upside than Austin. Don't misinterpret me here, Austin is an outstanding player... but I see him as just a slot/#2 guy. And, let's not forget about Nick Toon. Toon, b/c of size, hands, route-running, he can be THE slot guy of the future for N.O. While we could go with Allen this year (provided he's there at 15), allow him to lean SP's offense and have hive eventually slide to #1 role with Toon as #2/slot. IMO that would be a very nice duo to have.
_________________


^NS922 on the sig^
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
navysaintsfan


Joined: 02 Jan 2006
Posts: 11142
Location: Frednecksburg, VA
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That fact that we are discussing WR options for our 1st overall pick makes me weep.
_________________

Kenny Vaccaro; coming soon to a town near you to screw up your QB's day. ATL first on the knock-off list. #RISEUPFORWHAT
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tylerdouglass


Moderator
Joined: 21 Dec 2009
Posts: 14168
Location: Bellingham, WA
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
In all honesty. Payton really hasn't drafted that many offensive players. He took Ingram and Meachem. A #2 WR was a huge need at the time, and while we all wanted defense, Meachem wasn't a bad pick at the time and I hated the Ingram pick, still do, but Payton wanted that power back. Other then that, its been defense every year. I don't know where this "Payton will go offense" myth came from.


Reggie Bush says hi.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Harper41


Joined: 29 Aug 2009
Posts: 21290
Location: Roll Tide Country
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tylerdouglass wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
In all honesty. Payton really hasn't drafted that many offensive players. He took Ingram and Meachem. A #2 WR was a huge need at the time, and while we all wanted defense, Meachem wasn't a bad pick at the time and I hated the Ingram pick, still do, but Payton wanted that power back. Other then that, its been defense every year. I don't know where this "Payton will go offense" myth came from.


Reggie Bush says hi.

Good point but he would've been ripped apart if he hadnt picked Reggie.
_________________

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Thought someone broke into my house.
Jumped out of bed (left my brother)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
whodatworm23


Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 3135
Location: Nawlins
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

navysaintsfan wrote:
That fact that we are discussing WR options for our 1st overall pick makes me weep.


I honestly believe Austin could have tremendous value to the Saints... but not as a player. Austin will not likely get past St. Louis at 16 or Pittsburgh at 17 making the 15th pick a valuable trade asset to a team looking to move up to get him.

The most value I see Austin having for the Saints is turning one defensive player for us into 3 or 4 for our rebuilding defense by trading away the right to draft him on draft day.
_________________


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
wow_junky


Joined: 25 Jul 2011
Posts: 292
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Worm, LT is the only offensive position we should consider drafting in the first so I'd consider Austin a wasted pick! Especially as we lack a 2nd round pick already, it would be madness not to address our needs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
thesolution


Joined: 18 Jan 2009
Posts: 1884
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a question of if the saints should trade back. It's how far should they?
_________________

Copyrighted by Kiltman
My Second Sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
krewebrees


Joined: 10 Feb 2013
Posts: 359
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thesolution wrote:
It's not a question of if the saints should trade back. It's how far should they?


I'm not saying there is no way we trade down. I could see a situation in which no one is available and another team is offering us a lot to move back. But i don't understand why people are saying moving back is the only option or we need to get a lot of picks for depth. This team has plenty of depth and more deep talent than I've seen in a while. Assuming we stay put I still see guy like Will Herring, Travaris Cadet, Michael Higgins, Andrew Tiller, and Bryce Harris getting cut to make room. If we get more picks who gets cut next?

If we are in a terrible position in the draft, no one available, someone wanting to trade up, I can see it. We're not going to pick a bad 1st round draft picks to save a spot for Bryce Harris, but I don't see us going back unless absolutely necessary.
_________________

Adopt a Saint 2014
Jimmy Graham:
Glenn Foster:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group