Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

New Considerations at 20?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GOGRIESE

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChicagoAl wrote:
GOGRIESE wrote:
Really which people Al?

Since you like using PFT
"According to Profootballtalk.com, "some" people around the league believe West Virginia WR Tavon Austin's over-under in April's draft is pick No. 15.
The Rams pick at No. 16 and the feeling around the league is ostensibly that Austin wouldn't get past their selection. The Saints have the 15th pick. New Orleans seems more likely to focus on defense in the first round, but could be stationed in a bit of a "hotspot" for a team like the pick-rich 49ers to trade into. Pre-draft rumors have San Francisco interested in a move up for Austin"
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8402/tavon-austin

I just had a guy who does this for a living refute you.....sooo

"Can you explain that?"
PFW Draft magazine's, Nolan Nawrocki, did not have Austin drafted in the first round. Elsewhere in the publication he is rated a 1/2d pick and the third best WR of a class without real elite WRs.

How do "rumors" refute anything from anyone? What do rumors tell us about reality? At least an opinion can be pinned down to someone.

In any case SF is the one team which could afford to take him and trade up to do it. It has more draft picks than it can realistically use. How many are going to make that team? It can gamble as much as it wants without worry about making a critical mistake. And that is exactly what Austin is, a huge gamble - the biggest in the draft in the first round. Please Lord, let Austin drop to us and SF trade for him, please. I would be as happy as a clam.

I know some of the Rams fans on FF think they will take him but they know no more about it than Bears fans know what Emery will do. Do you really see Jeff Fisher making that big a gamble with 16? They need a lot more than Austin will provide to keep pace in that division, a LOT more.

The Rams have 2 first round picks and they need weapons. Guess who is one of the most dangerous weapons in this draft? Yep its Tavon Austin. Thats right everything your saying is just an opinion and your really the only one who has this opinion. Just go into the Austin page in the NFL draft section and you'll see. Like I have been saying this isnt news that he will be taken somewhere between 15-25. This has been the rumbling since the combine.

You may rate him as a 2nd round pick but your all alone in that area.

^^ props to Ty on the sig Smile

2013-Adopt A Bear- CB Tim Jennings #26
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChicagoAl wrote:
GOGRIESE wrote:
Really which people Al?

Since you like using PFT
"According to Profootballtalk.com, "some" people around the league believe West Virginia WR Tavon Austin's over-under in April's draft is pick No. 15.
The Rams pick at No. 16 and the feeling around the league is ostensibly that Austin wouldn't get past their selection. The Saints have the 15th pick. New Orleans seems more likely to focus on defense in the first round, but could be stationed in a bit of a "hotspot" for a team like the pick-rich 49ers to trade into. Pre-draft rumors have San Francisco interested in a move up for Austin"

"Can you explain that?"
PFW Draft magazine's, Nolan Nawrocki, did not have Austin drafted in the first round. Elsewhere in the publication he is rated a 1/2d pick and the third best WR of a class without real elite WRs.

How do "rumors" refute anything from anyone? What do rumors tell us about reality? At least an opinion can be pinned down to someone.

In any case SF is the one team which could afford to take him and trade up to do it. It has more draft picks than it can realistically use. How many are going to make that team? It can gamble as much as it wants without worry about making a critical mistake. And that is exactly what Austin is, a huge gamble - the biggest in the draft in the first round. Please Lord, let Austin drop to us and SF trade for him, please. I would be as happy as a clam.

I know some of the Rams fans on FF think they will take him but they know no more about it than Bears fans know what Emery will do. Do you really see Jeff Fisher making that big a gamble with 16? They need a lot more than Austin will provide to keep pace in that division, a LOT more.
PFW is the least respected media outlet for NFL Talk, seriously.

Edit: and as far as the biggest gambles go, you have 2 or 3 QBs who are not elite prospects that are going in the first, Star Lotulelei has a heart condition, Jarvis Jones has spinal stenosis, Alec Ogletree failed the idiot test, Cordarrelle Patterson has 0 polish w/ very little experience, Tyrann Mathieu could either be a star or out of the league in 1 or 2 years, etc... There are a lot bigger gambles than a 5'8" 175 lb playmaker who also is one of the most explosive and elusive players in the entire draft.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery

Last edited by Superman(DH23) on Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Roadrunner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOGRIESE wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
GOGRIESE wrote:
Really which people Al?

Since you like using PFT

"Can you explain that?"

The Rams have 2 first round picks and they need weapons. Guess who is one of the most dangerous weapons in this draft? Yep its Tavon Austin. Thats right everything your saying is just an opinion and your really the only one who has this opinion. Just go into the Austin page in the NFL draft section and you'll see. Like I have been saying this isnt news that he will be taken somewhere between 15-25. This has been the rumbling since the combine.

I agree. It would be quite surprising to me if he fell all the way to twenty, honestly. It would be even more surprising if he fell and we did not pounce.
GOGRIESE

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
GOGRIESE wrote:
Really which people Al?

Since you like using PFT

"Can you explain that?"

I sooooo want to take his Knox is just as good as Harvin to the NFL Comparison forum. Laughing

Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOGRIESE wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
GOGRIESE wrote:
Really which people Al?

Since you like using PFT

"Can you explain that?"

I sooooo want to take his Knox is just as good as Harvin to the NFL Comparison forum. Laughing
As just a WR you could certainly make that argument, but Harvin isn't just a WR, he's an offensive playmaker. We really need the ATH position for these new hybrid offensive players, b/c comparing them to WRs just doesn't do them justice.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
GOGRIESE

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roadrunner wrote:

I agree. It would be quite surprising to me if he fell all the way to twenty, honestly. It would be even more surprising if he fell and we did not pounce.

Like some were saying in the NFL Draft room and I agree with this. There is a better chance he goes top 10 than him falling into the second round.

GOGRIESE

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
]As just a WR you could certainly make that argument, but Harvin isn't just a WR, he's an offensive playmaker. We really need the ATH position for these new hybrid offensive players, b/c comparing them to WRs just doesn't do them justice.

Agreed and I finally got to use that A Few Good Men quote. Been waiting to use that a long time Laughing

ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Hmmmm..... Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
GOGRIESE wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
GOGRIESE wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
GOGRIESE wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:

Anyone drafting Austin has to be aware that he cannot be a real WR just a Gimmick Guy. There is no way to justify such a high pick for a guy of his size. These are drafted third round and lower.

Stop saying this because just about nobody shares this opinion with you. Its an opinion based on no facts.
Look at the way these guys are used. They aren't real WRs. Hester can do this kind of thing.

He can do more than a "real" WR. Thats the whole point.
If he had as good a rookie year as Johnny Knox I would publicly say it was not a bad choice.
But we drafted Johnny in the fifth round.

We do not need to spend that high a choice on a Gimmick Guy which is what he is to me whether it meets your approval or not. If we took him in the third I would think it worth the speculation and effort to use him to keep him healthy. That will not be easy.

Im starting to think you dont know what gimmick means. Explain to me how he is just a gimmick guy.
He will run special types of plays not your ordinary WR plays since he would not be likely to take the pounding of play after play. He will be limited to special packages which can take advantage of his speed and which must be structured to protect him. He won't be running across the middle or called on to go up against safeties and LBs primed to knock the crap out of him. He has to stay away from contact if he wants to survive.

Why do you think guys like him are historically almost never drafted in the first round? Are all the GMs listening to me and my irrational ideas?
How bout a CB who is the exact same size as Tavon Austin but is also one of the top 5 CBs in the league, does he hold up to the pounding? How bout the PitBull that is Tim Jennings, how's he doing? Also I have to agree w/ what somebody else said, Austin's ability to minimize contact is Barry Sanders-esque. You aren't going to see him take blow up shots, b/c of that ability, and w/ Austin's speed, COD, quickness, it really doesn't matter how fast the opposing defense is, Austin is faster.
What CB weighs 173 #? Tim Jennings weighs AT LEAST 10 more than Austin and was not drafted in the first round. He was drafted where guys that small should be and generally are drafted, not in the first round. He was drafted where he was because of his speed which was faster than Austin.

Jenning has also had a very up and down career in the pros and was not considered worth keeping by the Colts so he was not worth the second round pick used for him. He was also benched in 2011 because he was so crappy.

Barry Sanders was also at least 20 pounds heavier than Austin.

Please show me a successful NFL player at >175 lbs and show me one who was drafted in the first round. None of those proposed as equivalents have been, in fact, equivalents.
Ever hear of a guy by the name of Brandon Flowers? 5'8" 175, very early 2nd round pick of the chiefs, consensus top 5 CB in this league. So the 2d round is now the FIRST round. The fact you think Tim Jennings is faster than Austin (who ran a 4.2 at the combine compared to Jennings 4.4) just shows you have no idea what you are talking about. Tim Jennings ran a 4.32 at the Combine, Trevon Austin ran a 4.34. I know EXACTLY what I am talking about wrt this. In case you are having trouble with these numbers, that means Jennings was FASTER than Austin at the Combine. And if you think that 10 lbs makes that big of difference, I really have nothing else to say. Ten pounds generally does not make a difference when you are 300 lbs. but when you are under 175 it can make a big difference. Since it is about 3% of body mass for the former and about 6% for the latter. Why do you think the bigger man is almost always taken over the smaller when everything else is about the same? Austin is going to be a 1st round pick, and he's going to be a playmaker. A firefly flashes brightly for a brief period.

BTW, you mentioned Emery's trade for Marshall and scoring. This was only the 2nd year that Marshall scored 10+ TDs in a season, and he averages, you guessed it, 7 TDs per year, the same as Harvin. Marshall has had two double digit years, and how many has Harvin had? Oh, yeah - NONE. Marshall had over 1000 EVERY YEAR, Harvin has NEVER had a thousand. Marshall averaged 1108 yds per yr, Harvin 812. (Not quite 100 yds more than Johnny Knox.) Marshall was drafted in the FOURTH round. What I am concerned about is VALUE. Marshall, Knox gave great value for their picks. Harvin not that much and Austin will be much closer to Harvin than Marshall. Now there are other problems w/ Harvin that makes the trade questionable, but his ability to put the ball in the endzone is not really one of them.
No it isn't just the relatively low number of tds it is overall production. It just does not justify a 1st round pick.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOGRIESE wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
GOGRIESE wrote:
Really which people Al?

Since you like using PFT

"Can you explain that?"

The Rams have 2 first round picks and they need weapons. Guess who is one of the most dangerous weapons in this draft? Yep its Tavon Austin. Thats right everything your saying is just an opinion and your really the only one who has this opinion. Just go into the Austin page in the NFL draft section and you'll see. Like I have been saying this isnt news that he will be taken somewhere between 15-25. This has been the rumbling since the combine. It is also only an "opinion" that Austin will be a playmaker in the pros. There are tons of playmakers in college who do nothing in the pros.

That is not true either. It may be a minority opinion but I am not alone in holding it. And I never go against my opinion and adopt one I do not believe.

It is also not just my opinion that drafting tiny players is extremely unwise and there is 90+ yrs of NFL experience and action which confirms that opinion as correct.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
GOGRIESE wrote:
Really which people Al?

Since you like using PFT

"Can you explain that?"

PFW is the least respected media outlet for NFL Talk, seriously. Yeah, that is why is plays a major role in the sports media. But, it would not matter who or what I referenced, it would not be acceptable to you. I do not hang on its word and especially not its predictions but it was used to show that my opinion is not just mine of course you ignore the real point because it points to the falsehoods you allege about what I have said.

Edit: and as far as the biggest gambles go, you have 2 or 3 QBs who are not elite prospects that are going in the first, Star Lotulelei has a heart condition, Jarvis Jones has spinal stenosis, Alec Ogletree failed the idiot test, Cordarrelle Patterson has 0 polish w/ very little experience, Tyrann Mathieu could either be a star or out of the league in 1 or 2 years, etc... There are a lot bigger gambles than a 5'8" 175 lb playmaker who also is one of the most explosive and elusive players in the entire draft.
I would not take any of the QBs, Lotulelei, Mathieu or Patterson either and would consider the others only if we cannot trade down. Ogletree won't be asked to do calculus and can understand "See, ball - get ball."

It is hard to see any combination of circumstances where I would take Austin at 20. It is not impossible but I just have seen little to justify such a thing. I only saw one WV where it looked good, several others it was not that good. Starting kinda bad I lost interest in the team.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOGRIESE wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
GOGRIESE wrote:
Really which people Al?

Since you like using PFT

"Can you explain that?"

Don't let me stop you from doing anything you want it won't bother me. It is already there as I told you twice, in any case. Feel free to start another thread and ping me to it.
GOGRIESE

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChicagoAl wrote:
GOGRIESE wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
GOGRIESE wrote:
Really which people Al?

Since you like using PFT

"Can you explain that?"

The Rams have 2 first round picks and they need weapons. Guess who is one of the most dangerous weapons in this draft? Yep its Tavon Austin. Thats right everything your saying is just an opinion and your really the only one who has this opinion. Just go into the Austin page in the NFL draft section and you'll see. Like I have been saying this isnt news that he will be taken somewhere between 15-25. This has been the rumbling since the combine. It is also only an "opinion" that Austin will be a playmaker in the pros. There are tons of playmakers in college who do nothing in the pros.

It is also not just my opinion that drafting tiny players is extremely unwise and there is 90+ yrs of NFL experience and action which confirms that opinion as correct.

and there you have it folks. ChicagoAl at his finest. Laughing

WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is almost No chance that Austin hits 20 so this debate is pointless.

We can all wait and see when he is playing for another team next season.
chisoxguy7

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:

DABEARSLCF04

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:

I can only hope that hes gone, i want no part of Austin at 20.

Adopt a Bear.... Ka'Deem Carey.... HB.... Arizona
28 att for 130 yards 4.6avg. HALL OF FAME!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 8 of 17

Jump to: