Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bears re-sign QB Josh McCown to a 1-year deal
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Bears re-sign QB Josh McCown to a 1-year deal Reply with quote

Quote:
LM: #Bears have agreed to terms with quarterback Josh McCown on one-year contract.

http://twitter.com/ChicagoBears/statuses/317752095547723776
Tom Brady Tribute
GOGRIESE

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There it is. Glad to have Josh back.

^^ props to Ty on the sig Smile

2013-Adopt A Bear- CB Tim Jennings #26
WindyCity

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McCown is the only back up QB that has legitimatly started and won a game for us.

I like this move and the fact that he and Cutler get along only helps as it is another voice that Cutler will listen too.

3.5 million for a back up QB is a waste and if Cutler goes down season over and you move on.
GOGRIESE

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2013/03/bears_bring_back_quarterback_j.html

There are only a few guys Jay Cutler talks about like that. Josh would be one.

^^ props to Ty on the sig Smile

2013-Adopt A Bear- CB Tim Jennings #26
Madmike90

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solid move...would still like a better #2 but McCown works for now.
wiscbearsfan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though McCown leaves plenty to be desired there were literally no options available who would have been much of a sizable upgrade for a reasonable price. You can talk about guys like Kolb (who isn't anything special to begin with) but then they would also require more money. McCown's familiarty with the roster is a plus as well.

Regardless of the Cutler situation I wouldn't mind seeing them grab a developmental QB in the 6th or 7th round. Take him to camp and let him compete w/ McCown. If he produces great if not its fine. Long term they need to try and develop somebody even to be a backup.
Roadrunner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wiscbearsfan wrote:
Even though McCown leaves plenty to be desired there were literally no options available who would have been much of a sizable upgrade for a reasonable price. You can talk about guys like Kolb (who isn't anything special to begin with) but then they would also require more money. McCown's familiarty with the roster is a plus as well.

Regardless of the Cutler situation I wouldn't mind seeing them grab a developmental QB in the 6th or 7th round. Take him to camp and let him compete w/ McCown. If he produces great if not its fine. Long term they need to try and develop somebody even to be a backup.

What is Matt Blanchard, chopped liver? All that kid has ever done is won. I, for one, would like to see if we could actually coach him up.
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roadrunner wrote:
wiscbearsfan wrote:

What is Matt Blanchard, chopped liver? All that kid has ever done is won. I, for one, would like to see if we could actually coach him up.

He's a prospect. He'll get PS reps but has to earn his way onto the roster.

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
wiscbearsfan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roadrunner wrote:
wiscbearsfan wrote:

Who?

Kidding.

In all seriousness though he's just a guy, which is of course is basically what a late draft pick would be. The difference is Trestman though and what he sees in QB prospects, how he can work with them. I'm not saying take a guy late to take a guy. I'm just saying it wouldn't be a bad idea depending on who is there both in terms of QB's and other player available. Blanchard could turn into something for all I know but you can't invest too much time or hold out to much hope for late round picks and undrafted free agents.
Roadrunner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wiscbearsfan wrote:
Roadrunner wrote:
wiscbearsfan wrote:

Who?

Kidding.

In all seriousness though he's just a guy, which is of course is basically what a late draft pick would be. The difference is Trestman though and what he sees in QB prospects, how he can work with them. I'm not saying take a guy late to take a guy. I'm just saying it wouldn't be a bad idea depending on who is there both in terms of QB's and other player available. Blanchard could turn into something for all I know but you can't invest too much time or hold out to much hope for late round picks and undrafted free agents.

I agree about late rounders or UDFA's. For that reason, if they were to take a QB, I'd prefer it to be earlier than that. Say the third round if there was someone that had their eyes on or the second if someone really slid.
wiscbearsfan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aside from not having a 3rd at the moment I would prefer to not burn a pick on a QB too early. Primarily because they need more o-line talent and they need to retool the defense. If the right guy is there sure but I don't see it happening at that point.

Ultimately I am an optimist and think Cutler will perform well enough to warrant an extension.
wiscbearsfan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aside from not having a 3rd at the moment I would prefer to not burn a pick on a QB too early. Primarily because they need more o-line talent and they need to retool the defense. If the right guy is there sure but I don't see it happening at that point.

Ultimately I am an optimist and think Cutler will perform well enough to warrant an extension.
Roadrunner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wiscbearsfan wrote:

We heard you the first time. Razz

I agree that if we did pick up a third it would not be best spent on a QB, but IF they were to grab one I would definitely not want it to be a late rounder since they already have a similar guy with "unknowns" to work with.
G08

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Matt Scott quite a bit if he's there in the 4th...
chiinaz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G08 wrote:
I like Matt Scott quite a bit if he's there in the 4th...

Matt Scott could be the bears C.K.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: