Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

OT: Tony Romo 6 years 108 million/55 guaranteed
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TexasBearsFan wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
SOCalBearsFan54 wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
SOCalBearsFan54 wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
Sugashane wrote:
DABEARSLCF04 wrote:
Donavan McNab hates this deal, so it must not be that bad, McNab is a bafoon.

But what ever its Romo, hes there best option and a good QB. he just takes alot of flack there in Dallas.

Seconded. This makes me wonder if the Bears will try to make an extension with Jay before the season gets too far under way, as Emery may want to avoid the spike in value if Jay has a great year.

That or pressure to take a QB earlier starts to rise. I'm not jealous of Emery and Trestman in making that choice.

I just can’t agree guys…$55 million guaranteed to a 33 years old QB (a couple of days before the draft) who has 1 playoff game win in his 7 years as a starter gets more guaranteed money than Joe Flacco who has just turned 28 years old and is coming off a SB win and has 9 playoff wins in just 5 years…that is an insane move by Dallas.

Jerry Jones never ceases to amaze me. Very high contract for a qb who's old and who ONLY plays well in the regular season. It will be very interesting to see when/ how much we offer Jay at some point in the season or after. I don't foresee a 100 Mill contract for Cutler. Do any of you?

I have no idea how to value Cutler right now...all I do know is I don't want to give any player on the team $100 million.

Couldn't agree more. He's clearly the most talented qb we've had. I think somewhere in the range of 5-6 year deal with 13-15 million a season is a fair deal for Cutler.
Jay's current deal was $16M per, don't think he's resigning for less than that. Expect a $100M deal for Jay, b/c that's par for the course for a franchise QB.

To be frank, Jay's going to have to play ALOT better to justify getting $100 million. He's better than anything we've had but he's not THAT good. Neither is Romo, actually.
I'm just pointing out facts, his current deal was for $16M per, a 5 year ext at that price is $90M, 6 years is $106M. He's not resigning long term for less than $16M per, so if he's resigned, it's going to be for around $100M. I'll also point out (as will Jay's agent) that since he's signed that $16M per deal, he's gone 27-13 as a starter. The franchise tag is $15M 100% guaranteed. It's going to be a $100M deal if he's resigned. But ultimately its going to come down to this year. He'll either be resigned for $100M, or he won't be resigned and the Bears will be looking to go in another direction.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
Sugashane

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
Sugashane wrote:
DABEARSLCF04 wrote:
Donavan McNab hates this deal, so it must not be that bad, McNab is a bafoon.

But what ever its Romo, hes there best option and a good QB. he just takes alot of flack there in Dallas.

Seconded. This makes me wonder if the Bears will try to make an extension with Jay before the season gets too far under way, as Emery may want to avoid the spike in value if Jay has a great year.

That or pressure to take a QB earlier starts to rise. I'm not jealous of Emery and Trestman in making that choice.

I just can’t agree guys…$55 million guaranteed to a 33 years old QB (a couple of days before the draft) who has 1 playoff game win in his 7 years as a starter gets more guaranteed money than Joe Flacco who has just turned 28 years old and is coming off a SB win and has 9 playoff wins in just 5 years…that is an insane move by Dallas.

I do want to point out that I was seconding the sarcastic remark about McNabb, and that he is a baffoon.

Romo is a good player but has been non-existent in the playoffs, even with a decent line and a lot of offensive talent in Witten, Bryant, Austin, etc. His production is always there throughout a season, but he too often wilts under pressure.
pigsooie5

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry but I would NEVER pay Jay cutler a $100 million dolllar contract. How could any of you after what he's done so far? I mean I'm the biggest Cutler advocate on the board but you give 100 million to players that have proven success in the playoffs and have proven success consistently. Jay has done neither. I don't agree with giving him $100 million just because thats what SB winning QB's get. The game is evolving, were finding Colin Kapernik's in the 2nd round and Russel Wilsons in the 3rd round. You don't handicap your entire franchise by giving someone a $100 million contract just because.

BEARS------BULLS------DODGERS------KINGS
Adopt-A-Bear: Kyle Long, Guard
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pigsooie5 wrote:
I'm sorry but I would NEVER pay Jay cutler a $100 million dolllar contract. How could any of you after what he's done so far? I mean I'm the biggest Cutler advocate on the board but you give 100 million to players that have proven success in the playoffs and have proven success consistently. Jay has done neither. I don't agree with giving him $100 million just because thats what SB winning QB's get. The game is evolving, were finding Colin Kapernik's in the 2nd round and Russel Wilsons in the 3rd round. You don't handicap your entire franchise by giving someone a $100 million contract just because.
A) if you want Jay back you need to reconcile its going to be at $100M. And don't get hung up on the $100M thing either, or the the $ per. There are 2 numbers that really matter in contracts, the guaranteed money and the money rec'd in the first 3 years. The total value, and the $ per are really only about marketing for the player and the agent.

GOGRIESE

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the ultimately its going to come down to do you think you can find better than Jay? Are you willing to maybe sacrifice a few years in pursuit of that QB? Basically start rebuilding.

The Cowboys said no to the first question with Romo.

^^ props to Ty on the sig Smile

2013-Adopt A Bear- CB Tim Jennings #26
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOGRIESE wrote:
Well the ultimately its going to come down to do you think you can find better than Jay? Are you willing to maybe sacrifice a few years in pursuit of that QB? Basically start rebuilding.

Bingo, it's the price of paying poker fellas. Do you want to pay up and join the big boys, or do you want to throw away the best QB in team history, and go looking for a bargain?

GOGRIESE

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
GOGRIESE wrote:

Bingo, it's the price of paying poker fellas. Do you want to pay up and join the big boys, or do you want to throw away the best QB in team history, and go looking for a bargain?

Exactly....I mean you not going to find someone better in free agency. Teams dont let the top tier QBs hit the market. The real question is do you want to dive into the draft and potentially be in the same place we've been in for many years before Jay.

^^ props to Ty on the sig Smile

2013-Adopt A Bear- CB Tim Jennings #26
TexasBearsFan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
GOGRIESE wrote:

False dichotomy. It's not about throwing the best QB in team history (best of a pretty worthless lot) away or finding a bargain. Those aren't the only two options. It's about not handicapping the team with a bloated contract for a player who, in my humble opinion, has always been good and never great. Just because Jerry Jones is willing to break the bank for a QB who can't win in the playoffs doesn't mean the Bears have to.

Jay's out of excuses now. He's got a decent line now, weapons galore and an offensive minded coach. If he can't perform now, he's NOT worth $100M to us.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TexasBearsFan wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
GOGRIESE wrote:

False dichotomy. It's not about throwing the best QB in team history (best of a pretty worthless lot) away or finding a bargain. Those aren't the only two options. It's about not handicapping the team with a bloated contract for a player who, in my humble opinion, has always been good and never great. Just because Jerry Jones is willing to break the bank for a QB who can't win in the playoffs doesn't mean the Bears have to.

Jay's out of excuses now. He's got a decent line now, weapons galore and an offensive minded coach. If he can't perform now, he's NOT worth $100M to us.
Yes they are, you are either going to pay Jay $100M, or you are going to be forced to look for a bargain QB in FA or the draft. Again Jay's not signing for less than that, so you aren't going to pay him less than that.

wiscbearsfan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great posts by Supes as well as the additional commentary from GOGREISE. If Cutler doesn't get a $100M deal he won't miss it by much but people are getting too hung up on that number. The guaranteed money is a very important element here. And if you want to get a better feel for what these deals really are pay attention to the number of year, that can skew things dramatically.

Here are a bunch of numbers I pulled up for consideration.

For starters remove Andrew Luck, RGIII, Russell Wilson, Cam Newton and Colin Kaepernick from these discussions as they are on rookie wage scale deals that are cheap. Some of those guys will be in line for extensions in the not so distant future though so its actually good Cutler will get his done first.

Next you need to remove 3 more QB's from the conversation, the last 3 high draft picks prior to the rookie scale era.

2008 Matt Ryan - 6yr $72M ($34.75M guaranteed) signed through '13
2009 Matt Stafford - 6yr $72M ($41.7M guaranteed) through '14
2010 Sam Bradford - 6yr $78M ($50M guaranteed) through '15

These guys are all making $12-$13M annually which makes sense given that they were prospects so their annual are a bit lower than the elite veterans. The guaranteed money started getting really high though and these types of deals were obviously having an impact on veteran QB negotiations. The big name from this group is Matt Ryan who is signed only through '13 like Cutler. Ryan has the same representation as Aaron Rodgers and is believed to be getting a deal done with Atlanta this off-season after Rodgers gets his done. Matt Ryan should undoubtedly get a $100M deal soon. Stafford's could happen a year from now too and will also get a ton.

Now Aaron Rodgers is expected to become the NFL's highest paid QB in a deal that could happen anytime over the next few weeks. I don't think anyone can argue that it shouldn't happen. So while we don't know what he's going to get yet I think we can just slot him in as #1 already.

Next one I'm going to skip over is Tom Brady. Why? Because finding detailed contract info on him including the past stuff is a major pain. He's an anomaly for this conversation anyway though because he has been making a lot of money for a long time, he has plenty of endorsement money too and most importantly he has been helping the team out w/ contract restructuring but has been trading it for guaranteed money. In the long run he may be leaving a little money on the table if he stays healthy and plays for quite a bit longer but the guaranteed money actually may be to his advantage depending on how his career goes from here.

So with that stuff out of the way here are the rest of the deals:

2008 Roethlisberger - 8yr $102M ($33.2M) through '15
2009 Jay Cutler - 2yr extension $30M ($20M) through '13
2009 Philip Rivers - 6yr EXT $92M ($38M) through '15
2009 Eli Manning - 6yr EXT $97.5M ($35) through '15
2012 Matt Schaub - 4yr EXT $62M ($24.75) through '16
2012 Peyton Manning - 5yr $96M (approx $20M) through '16
2012 Drew Brees - 5yr $100M ($60M) through '16
2013 Tony Romo - 6yr $108M ($55M) through '18
2013 Joe Flacco - 6yr $120.6M ($52M) through '18

Ok so if the question still remains whether Cutler actually gets a $100M contract the first question is how long is the deal for? The biggest difference between the Brees and Romo century deals is that Brees gets his in 5 instead of 6 for Romo. That is significant because he gets more each year, reaches FA quicker too.

Some of these guys also will not see the end of these deals either which means they won't actually get the full $100M. Like Supes said, pay attention to the guaranteed money.

So for Cutler if you go 6yr $100M +/- with $50M +/- guaranteed its really only a 3-4 year $50ish million deal if things go badly. People get bent out of shape about that century mark but its not really what it seems.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: