Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bears sign former Jets OG Matt Slauson to a 1-year deal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Madmike90

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landru wrote:
Another 1 year contract...interesting.

For me the 1 year contracts are clear indication that Emery does not want to build this team in FA…he wants to draft for success and use FA as a fluid option to plug gaps until he can get the guys he wants in the draft…then drop the big money on home grown talent before they hit FA…that’s the smart way to build a team.
Roadrunner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Bears sign former Jets OG Matt Slauson to a 1-year deal Reply with quote

ChicagoAl wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
Quote:
#Bears have agreed to terms with former Jets guard Matt Slauson on one-year contract.

http://twitter.com/ChicagoBears/statuses/317706555015446528
Wow, great news (not that I know anything about him other than the minimum). If this works out he could get a longer contract.

Kind of strange that the Jets made no effort to resign him since he had started 48 straight regular season games and several playoff games. Perhaps they have one of the big name tackles sighted in the draft.

He played in those games, did not start them all. He knew he was going to come here and be a starter. If I were a betting man, I would say it was not about the money.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Bears sign former Jets OG Matt Slauson to a 1-year deal Reply with quote

Roadrunner wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
Quote:
#Bears have agreed to terms with former Jets guard Matt Slauson on one-year contract.

Wow, great news (not that I know anything about him other than the minimum). If this works out he could get a longer contract.

Kind of strange that the Jets made no effort to resign him since he had started 48 straight regular season games and several playoff games. Perhaps they have one of the big name tackles sighted in the draft.

He played in those games, did not start them all. He knew he was going to come here and be a starter. If I were a betting man, I would say it was not about the money.

He did start all those 48 games over the last 3 years...played in 3 his rookie year without starting.

Last edited by Madmike90 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
CBears019

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Bears sign former Jets OG Matt Slauson to a 1-year deal Reply with quote

Roadrunner wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
Quote:

According to NFL.com he did start all of those games.

Adopt-a-Bear: Martellus Bennett, TE
Rec: 36 Yds: 364 TD: 4

AZBearsFan wrote:

He's a playmaker though, and we can use more of those in the Devin.Fart
Mudderfudder77

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slauson was pissed at the Jets for trying to platoon him with a rookie 2nd rounder last season. Rookie played like crap, and Slauson decides to move on.

Beat reporter said that he got the impression from Slauson that despite the fact it is a one year deal there was some discussion about a long term future here in Chicago.

Adopt-a-Bear Lamarr Houston

Man-child. QB-killer. Defender of the run. Destroyer of worlds
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mudderfudder77 wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:
Getting excited about Matt Slauson is like getting excited over a McDonalds cheeseburger. The guy is not that great, so lets not act like this is a home run signing.
He's a good quality starter who can pass protect. It's a definite upgrade.

Uh-huh, sure.

I can't wait for the "Matt Slauson Sucks" threads come August.

He was rated higher than any lineman on our team last year. He's better than Lance Louis - that's all I'm really concerned with.

Upgraded LT
Upgraded RT
Upgraded OG
He's really not, at best he's equal to Louis. Don't let PFF's #s fool you. What he is, is an upgrade at LG.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
IronMike84

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mudderfudder77 wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:
Getting excited about Matt Slauson is like getting excited over a McDonalds cheeseburger. The guy is not that great, so lets not act like this is a home run signing.

Uh-huh, sure.

He was rated higher than any lineman on our team last year. He's better than Lance Louis - that's all I'm really concerned with.

Upgraded LT
Upgraded RT
Upgraded OG

Ohhhh, so he was ranked 31 instead of 32 at LG? Yeah, that's a HUGE improvement. Rolling Eyes
DaMike

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMike84 wrote:
Mudderfudder77 wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:

Uh-huh, sure.

Upgraded LT
Upgraded RT
Upgraded OG

Ohhhh, so he was ranked 31 instead of 32 at LG? Yeah, that's a HUGE improvement. Rolling Eyes
What have you seen in his play that you dont like?
IronMike84

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do
DaMike wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:
Mudderfudder77 wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:

Uh-huh, sure.

Upgraded LT
Upgraded RT
Upgraded OG

What have you seen in his play that you DO like? The guy is average at the very, very best.

Slauson is better than the substitute players the Bears have had at LG but a lot of you guys are really overhyping this signing. Just because he played for the NYJ line doesn't mean he's awesome.
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMike84 wrote:
Do
DaMike wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:
Mudderfudder77 wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:

Uh-huh, sure.

Upgraded LT
Upgraded RT
Upgraded OG

What have you seen in his play that you DO like? The guy is average at the very, very best.

Slauson is better than the substitute players the Bears have had at LG but a lot of you guys are really overhyping this signing. Just because he played for the NYJ line doesn't mean he's awesome.

Not for nothing but average at LG is a big improvement over last year. The guy is a professional LG. Up until today we didn't have one of those on the roster. He's not Levitre and nobody would say he was but that doesn't mean the move should dissatisfy me.

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
Roadrunner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Bears sign former Jets OG Matt Slauson to a 1-year deal Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
Roadrunner wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
Quote:

He did start all those 48 games over the last 3 years...played in 3 his rookie year without starting.

Yeah, it was the rotating Ducasse in that made me say that about the starts. I stand corrected.
wiscbearsfan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMike84 wrote:
Mudderfudder77 wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:

Uh-huh, sure.

Upgraded LT
Upgraded RT
Upgraded OG

Are you referring to what Louis was rated? Because I read that was 47 which would seem to be a noticeable jump. Oh and Slauson reportedly did not give up a sack last year.

Is he the second coming? No but he appears to be an upgrade in general nevermind the fact that the player he is replacing is coming off a torn ACL and very well may not be able to play up to his previous ability this year.......when he takes the field. Could he suck? Sure. So could all of his FA signings and all his draft picks too. But it doesn't look like that will be the case. So far I see a better team than 2012 and we haven't even had the draft yet.
wiscbearsfan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
Landru wrote:
Another 1 year contract...interesting.

For me the 1 year contracts are clear indication that Emery does not want to build this team in FA…he wants to draft for success and use FA as a fluid option to plug gaps until he can get the guys he wants in the draft…then drop the big money on home grown talent before they hit FA…that’s the smart way to build a team.

I couldn't agree more. Its such a breath of fresh air to see. Not only that but he's been downright masterful the way he has gone about this getting a lot of bargains from some players I didn't expect it from either.

And like somebody mentioned, I also read Slausons comments about long term security by moving on from the Jets. There clearly must have been a conversation about the possibility of extending him.

That's what's beautiful about these 1 year deals. You draft guys at these same positions like LB and OL, extend the guys you want to and discard the rest.
G08

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slauson is just a guy. Not great in the run game but will hold his own in the pass game. We're going to throw it a LOT this year and this is a guy that will rarely get beat by the man across from him.

He can take a DT's best punch/rush and not fold like our guards of years past.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This rebuild of the Bears OL is not going to happen in a day. We are trying to fix 6 years of neglect and failure.

This season we need to move from terrible to professional and competent. To move to professional and competent would be a vast improvement and a move in the right direction.

Slauson is competent and professional and he can bridge the gap till we get someone better.

The first thing you do with a bullet wound is apply pressure till you can get to the hospital. Slauson is our version of applying pressure, he is not a trauma surgeon but he beats the hell out of bleeding to death.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: