Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Wheaton Vs. Rodgers
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nic, I completely understand wanting our second round pick, never had an issue with that. But the bottom line is, we traded, what we felt we needed to to get the BEST QB available to help our team win right now.

The FA crop was pretty crappy, and the draft is always a crap shoot.

I'll say this, do you feel better about Smith than you would about us still have Cassel as our starter, I know I sure as hell do, regardless of what it cost us. I truly feel like we made the deal for Smith, giving up what we did because our FO believes that they will be able to move the first overall pick for a comparable deal, thus adjusting rather than negating the picks we gave up.

Whereas without the trade for Alex Smith, and as we sit right now with more info, I don't see ANY way we don't take Geno Smith.

And to keep this from becoming yet another situation where every post becomes QB driven like the Cassel sucks bombers of last year. I absolutely agree that I don't think Baldwin has the brain/want to be the best. Right now he reminds me of a much less talented Randy Moss, lots of drama, occasional flashes, then some more drama. I'm hoping Reid can help prove us both wrong.

Props to Loto...the guy does great work
ArrowheadRage58

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DT58_lives_on wrote:
I'm sure I'm going to get put on blast for this, and I'm ok with that. But am I the ONLY person who thinks us considering a WR before the end of round 3 ridiculous? We have a number 1, a possible 2 in Baldwin (look I'm not a fan, but if he's on the team, he's gotta be considered) 250 slot receivers that could blow up with an accurate QB in Andy's offense...IMHO, if we add a second round pick, and thinking that our first round pick is either

LT/RT, QB, DL...

I don't see WR being anywhere near the top of our needs. In my opinion we absolutely need to have some slots filled by the end of round 3, that don't include a position that usually takes at least 3 years to get going.

Chiefs need O-line help, if Stephenson is that answer at RT and we keep Albert for a year or long term, we have ZERO depth outside, and our inside doesn't look so hot either.

Who starts next to DJ, right now Siler or Jones, let that sink in for a minute.

We need to add a contributing pick to the DL.

I just see a 1st or 2nd round WR as a real luxury at a position where I don't think we have nearly the same need as others.

This may not be coherent, it's been a long week!

My answer to that is, then what position? All we REALLY need is ILB...and that will obviously be one of those 4 picks in round 3-5. I would also add the depth and value at WR will be great, we will be a passing offense, so we are at a position to add more weapons at our convenience and we could use some speed at the outside WR position by someone who doesn't have stones for hands.

Even with my desire for a WR in the 2nd or 3rd, I still don't view Baldwin as a near bust like you guys. His head and work ethic have been better than could be expected considering his effort last offseason, dominance in TC, then pure lack of use once the season started. He didn't have drops, he didn't lack effort, he showed a little frustration when he wouldn't get thrown to when open, but that's a good thing.
Where's the logic? Breaston was a proven WR and he was not even on the active list for most games, coaching staff and QB=completely inept, yet we're close to giving up on Baldwin as fans Confused He clearly isn't proven, but is also far from a bust at this point. What is all this Baldwin drama you speak of? Do you really see your average #2 WR doing anything with Cassel/Quinn/Romeo/Daball at the controls?

People just seem to be mad because the chiefs are all of a sudden doing what their fans thought they were capable of
Mongo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of us have man-love for Stedman Bailey. This was posted on Rotoworld today:

Quote:
According to STATS ICE, West Virginia's Stedman Bailey made more "clutch receptions" in 2012 than any top draft-eligible receiver on a minimum of 100 targets.

"Clutch receptions" are defined as catches that went for a first down or touchdown. Scheme, quarterback play, and competition can affect stats like this, but it's still interesting that Bailey dominated the field with 72 "clutch" catches amongst 148 targets (48.6 percent). Next closest was Oregon State's Markus Wheaton, with 64 "clutch" catches on 141 passes his way (45.4 percent).

This is what I saw when I watched him. His "measurables" are not sexy. I guess he under-performed in the Combine and his pro day.

Suppose we trade down in R1 and recoup our R2. Do you pass on the multitude of R2 and R3 WR in hopes of getting Bailey with the comp R3 pick? Do you you use the R3 on him. Tough call, yes?
ryknowssd

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mongo wrote:
Many of us have man-love for Stedman Bailey. This was posted on Rotoworld today:

Quote:
According to STATS ICE, West Virginia's Stedman Bailey made more "clutch receptions" in 2012 than any top draft-eligible receiver on a minimum of 100 targets.

"Clutch receptions" are defined as catches that went for a first down or touchdown. Scheme, quarterback play, and competition can affect stats like this, but it's still interesting that Bailey dominated the field with 72 "clutch" catches amongst 148 targets (48.6 percent). Next closest was Oregon State's Markus Wheaton, with 64 "clutch" catches on 141 passes his way (45.4 percent).

This is what I saw when I watched him. His "measurables" are not sexy. I guess he under-performed in the Combine and his pro day.

Suppose we trade down in R1 and recoup our R2. Do you pass on the multitude of R2 and R3 WR in hopes of getting Bailey with the comp R3 pick? Do you you use the R3 on him. Tough call, yes?

If Bailey is available in the 3rd round, I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger. He certainly plays faster than his timed 10 yard split and 40 indicate. Plus, he has the heart of guys like Steve Smith and Wes Welker. He plays tough. If there's one thing that's been proven is that you don't have to have elite measurables to be successful in the NFL. It obviously doesn't hurt things, but look at guys like TJ Houshmandzadeh, Anquan Boldin, Wes Welker, etc. Good to great production from guys who all ran a 4.55 or slower at the combine. As long as they have reliable hands, enough agility and body control to run crisp routes and the mental capacity to fully understand their role in the offense, then it should spell success. Based on everything I've seen about Bailey, he grades out well in all of those categories. He's great after the catch, too. In this spread/WCO hybrid we'll be running would be a great fit for his skill set.

bigschmadt00 wrote:
Oooohhhh YEAHH!!! WOO PIG SOOIE!
Mongo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryknowssd wrote:
Mongo wrote:

Quote:

If Bailey is available in the 3rd round, I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger. He certainly plays faster than his timed 10 yard split and 40 indicate. Plus, he has the heart of guys like Steve Smith and Wes Welker. He plays tough. If there's one thing that's been proven is that you don't have to have elite measurables to be successful in the NFL. It obviously doesn't hurt things, but look at guys like TJ Houshmandzadeh, Anquan Boldin, Wes Welker, etc. Good to great production from guys who all ran a 4.55 or slower at the combine. As long as they have reliable hands, enough agility and body control to run crisp routes and the mental capacity to fully understand their role in the offense, then it should spell success. Based on everything I've seen about Bailey, he grades out well in all of those categories. He's great after the catch, too. In this spread/WCO hybrid we'll be running would be a great fit for his skill set.

Well we at least we agree on something. XOXOXOXOXO!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: