Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

colts draft 2013
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Indianapolis Colts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeytonFan18

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The truth is, when the guy comes into the draft ready to be a #1 receiver, he will never make it to pick number 24. For example:

Calvin Johnson: Size, speed, route running ability, play making ability ... goes 3rd overall.

Reggie Wayne: Lacks the initial quickness to get off the line, and body catches at times. Therefore, not a top 10 pick.

Now, I'm hoping it will be another 12 years before Indy has a top 10 pick. Therefore, I have no problem with Indy drafting a WR at pick 24 who would have to develop into a number 1.

If you view Justin Hunter as more of a number 2, then I would interject saying he has the size and speed to be a number 1. Lets give him 2-3 years playing opposite Reggie Wayne (who has been cited as a true leader in the WR meeting room) and see if he moves into a #1. If he doesn't, at least when Reggie retires we would have our #2 and #3 (TY Hilton) locked up, and we can view other avenues for #1.

I think WR is one of our biggest needs because we don't want to wait until Reggie retires to replace him. Bring in a talented guy now and see what he can do.

And (long post I know) there are a number of guys who could be worthy of the 24th pick (Hunter, Allen, certainly Patterson) and they all have talent.

Images courtesy of the great IndyColt#88
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
coltsmanic808

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeytonFan18 wrote:
The truth is, when the guy comes into the draft ready to be a #1 receiver, he will never make it to pick number 24. For example:

Calvin Johnson: Size, speed, route running ability, play making ability ... goes 3rd overall.

Reggie Wayne: Lacks the initial quickness to get off the line, and body catches at times. Therefore, not a top 10 pick.

Now, I'm hoping it will be another 12 years before Indy has a top 10 pick. Therefore, I have no problem with Indy drafting a WR at pick 24 who would have to develop into a number 1.

If you view Justin Hunter as more of a number 2, then I would interject saying he has the size and speed to be a number 1. Lets give him 2-3 years playing opposite Reggie Wayne (who has been cited as a true leader in the WR meeting room) and see if he moves into a #1. If he doesn't, at least when Reggie retires we would have our #2 and #3 (TY Hilton) locked up, and we can view other avenues for #1.

I think WR is one of our biggest needs because we don't want to wait until Reggie retires to replace him. Bring in a talented guy now and see what he can do.

And (long post I know) there are a number of guys who could be worthy of the 24th pick (Hunter, Allen, certainly Patterson) and they all have talent.

Right I agree, as long as they have the potential to be a #1. I don't think Allen has the explosive traits, speed, jump ball skills, etc. to be a #1 whereas some of the other guy might be #1 but has some question marks.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't disagree that we definetly need a reciever, I just don't really see anyone who I believe can develop into a #1.

About the only reciever I really like at 24 is Hopkins. Allen is okay, but I don't like that injury history. I'd much rather get a guy like Dobson in the third to be a solid #2 for years to come and worry about getting a WR next year, when the class looks to be better.
PeytonFan18

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like I'm beating a dead horse here, but I really don't see any reason Justin Hunter couldn't develop into a #1. Cordarrelle Patterson too.

Good coaching can teach you the route tree, and the timing. Good QB play can put the ball where it needs to be. The traits you can't teach a WR are hands, size and speed.

And it seems to me that Patterson (6'2", 216 lbs, 38" vert, 4.42 forty) and Hunter (6'4", 196 lbs, 39" vert, 4.44 forty) both have reliable hands. I don't see any reason these guys can't develop into #1 receivers.

With all that said, I'm starting to think we aren't going to go WR at all, and we're probably going to make what the "experts" would call a "reach" on a pass rusher. Much like the Chicago Bears did last year with Shea McClellan.

I'm looking at names like Corey Lemonier and Tank Carradine as potential players at #24. What would you guys and gals think about that?

Images courtesy of the great IndyColt#88
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AgentJR3

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see them wait on WR and see if Da'Rick Rogers falls into the 3rd round. He has the ability of Patterson and Hunter just has a little more baggage. 6'2" 217lbs. He has the size to be a #1 with a few years learning under Reggie, assuming his past issues are resolved.

As far as predicting the first round pick, I have no idea. I still haven't really been able to figure out how our front office works and how they think.

Sig by Mike Matt 2011

Colts and Razorback Fan for life.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Indianapolis Colts All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: