Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Lions to host free agent kicker David Akers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Lions to host free agent kicker David Akers Reply with quote

http://www.freep.com/article/20130328/SPORTS01/130328056/Lions-bringing-in-kicker-David-Akers-for-a-visit

Yeah . . . I'm not at all happy about this. Akers was awful last year (oddly enough, after a relatively great career and a historically productive 2011 season) and will command at least $940,000 if we offer him a contract. It seems things have stalled with Hanson and he's not sure if he wants to accept our offer of league minimum, so I guess they're trying to see if Akers will.

I absolutely want Hanson back, but I wouldn't bother paying him more than $1 million. that said, I don't consider spending that money on Akers to be a wise investment and I'd rather see them draft one in the 6th or 7th round than on Akers.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully it's just to pressure Hanson into a cheaper contract than he wants.
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Eric Ebron
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: Martin Mayhew

R.I.P. Stylish
tippitover

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Lions to host free agent kicker David Akers Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:
http://www.freep.com/article/20130328/SPORTS01/130328056/Lions-bringing-in-kicker-David-Akers-for-a-visit

Yeah . . . I'm not at all happy about this. Akers was awful last year (oddly enough, after a relatively great career and a historically productive 2011 season) and will command at least $940,000 if we offer him a contract. It seems things have stalled with Hanson and he's not sure if he wants to accept our offer of league minimum, so I guess they're trying to see if Akers will.

I absolutely want Hanson back, but I wouldn't bother paying him more than $1 million. that said, I don't consider spending that money on Akers to be a wise investment and I'd rather see them draft one in the 6th or 7th round than on Akers.

I dont know I guess I wouldnt mind bringing him. My first choice is hanson, but we cant pay a kicker the bank. In my opinion this is just positioning in contract talks with hanson. Going back to akers though, I could see his down year having alot to do with his hip injury.

Thanks to Smack for the sig!

Team Stylish
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Lions to host free agent kicker David Akers Reply with quote

tippitover wrote:
RyanFuller003 wrote:

I dont know I guess I wouldnt mind bringing him. My first choice is hanson, but we cant pay a kicker the bank. In my opinion this is just positioning in contract talks with hanson. Going back to akers though, I could see his down year having alot to do with his hip injury.

Maybe. I'd still rather not spend that much money on a kicker that isn't Hanson. Hopefully IDOG's got the right idea and they're just trying to gain leverage on Hanson.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

detroitroar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pure leverage.

2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Joe Lombardi
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: James Ihedigbo
LionsGM

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no substitute for Jason Hanson. He's a HOF Kicker. Anybody you bring in is going to pale in comparison.

Not having Jason Hanson on the team would really irk me, but not as much as envisioning him on another team. Unless it was like the Patriots or somewhere he could win a championship. I'd be happy for him.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would we downgrade and blow off a long standing franchise player for a few hundred thousand (sad that in the NFL today the word few has to be used)? How much could Hanson seriously be asking for? Pay the man, lord knows he's earned it. This better be some kind of bargaining technique because if not that's just said loyalty from our front office.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find this a little disrespectful to Jason.
stylish313

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFTW wrote:
They can't just wait till the beginning of the season if Jason can't make up his mind, or won't agree to a reduced salary.
Jrugges

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFTW wrote:

I mean, what exactly do the Lions owe him? Business is business and they're not friends.

Wouldn't upset me personally. Akers had some mental issues last year imo and a good offseason in a indoor arena might help him out. Plus he could be cheap. Of coarse though, I'd like to see Hanson back more than signing Akers.
detfan782004

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
Hopefully it's just to pressure Hanson into a cheaper contract than he wants.

Dirtbag move if so.

This guy is Detroit football. He has stuck around thru everything and with class

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
LionFanRoxy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda of crappy way to treat Jason. But it he walks, the Lions need to go after Brett Swenson. He KILLED it at Michigan State's pro day.
LionsFan630

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detroitroar wrote:
Pure leverage.

That would be my guess. Business is business...Hanson wants more money, Lions will explore their options.

Last year was easily Akers worst year, maybe the hip injury truly did contribute idk.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care if this is a leverage move or not, I don't think its fair to the fan base... I will freak out if we sign Akers...

Dear lions, you've been pretty rough on me for the last 15 year's... Pleas stop playing games with my heart...

Don't even joke about signing this guy... I spent last season joking around with a coworker whos a san Fran fan, about having to use this guy in the playoffs... Couldn't look at the guy if we signed him...

thanks to BigBadLion20 for the (THIRD!) sick sig!
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFan630 wrote:
Last year was easily Akers worst year, maybe the hip injury truly did contribute idk.

I'll take that a step further . . . Akers was easily the worst full-time kicker in the league last year, just one year after he was probably the best full-time kicker in the league.

MrDrew wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: