Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Patriots signing former Falcons, Vikings WR Michael Jenkins
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HOVA333

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadpulse wrote:
HOVA333 wrote:
Deadpulse wrote:
ChazStandard wrote:
I'm not so down on this move...40 or so receptions a year and around 500 yards isn't bad production with Ponder as your QB. I'm not saying he's gonna start or put up good numbers, but he'd be a decent third WR.

Donald Jones did that last year and is much more athletic with a much higher upside and room for improvement. I would say he outshines Molasses Mike during camp.

Totally different type of receivers though...Attribute wise, so different value.

They would play the same position, so same value. Attributes be damned, those will all translate into catches, yards, yac, and touchdowns or their value is nothing.

You can play the same position, but hold a different value.

Adopt A Patriot
Logan Ryan : CB
Tkls: Int: FF:
Deadpulse

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOVA333 wrote:
Deadpulse wrote:
HOVA333 wrote:
Deadpulse wrote:
ChazStandard wrote:
I'm not so down on this move...40 or so receptions a year and around 500 yards isn't bad production with Ponder as your QB. I'm not saying he's gonna start or put up good numbers, but he'd be a decent third WR.

Donald Jones did that last year and is much more athletic with a much higher upside and room for improvement. I would say he outshines Molasses Mike during camp.

Totally different type of receivers though...Attribute wise, so different value.

They would play the same position, so same value. Attributes be damned, those will all translate into catches, yards, yac, and touchdowns or their value is nothing.

If their production last season was nearly identical, than no they don't. Their value is entirely in their production on the field, no matter how they do it.

Sigs-Taking Requests
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadpulse wrote:
HOVA333 wrote:
Deadpulse wrote:
HOVA333 wrote:
Deadpulse wrote:
ChazStandard wrote:

If their production last season was nearly identical, than no they don't. Their value is entirely in their production on the field, no matter how they do it.

Their production last year isn't relevant to their value to the 2013 Patriots. Their value to the team is their skill set and how it can best be used to win games. To that end, different skill sets have different values
Deadpulse

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:

Their production last year isn't relevant to their value to the 2013 Patriots. Their value to the team is their skill set and how it can best be used to win games. To that end, different skill sets have different values

Even if you go with that, Jones has the more amicable skill set for the 2013 Patriot offense that has big targets in Gronk and Aaron but not speed and athleticism outside.

The only value I can place in Jenkins's attributes is his natural size. Other than that, I don't see value in him at all. He is slow and can't create separation.

Sigs-Taking Requests
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadpulse wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:

Even if you go with that, Jones has the more amicable skill set for the 2013 Patriot offense that has big targets in Gronk and Aaron but not speed and athleticism outside.

The only value I can place in Jenkins's attributes is his natural size. Other than that, I don't see value in him at all. He is slow and can't create separation.

I think we're all in agreement that Jenkins is slow and that Jones has more upside. I'm not sure where the point of contention is TBH.
terbo559

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't expect Jenkins to make the roster but if he does, I wouldn't be surprise. He does offer some outside deep threat ability with his experience and height.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

terbo559 wrote:
I don't expect Jenkins to make the roster but if he does, I wouldn't be surprise. He does offer some outside deep threat ability with his experience and height.

Jenkins is not a deep threat in any way.
Deadpulse

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Deadpulse wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:

I think we're all in agreement that Jenkins is slow and that Jones has more upside. I'm not sure where the point of contention is TBH.

at this point, neither am I.

Unless HOVA333 was trying to tell me that Jenkins was a better option than Jones.

Sigs-Taking Requests
nextsuperstar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
nextsuperstar wrote:
rabbisson wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
rabbisson wrote:
How was he a first round pick?

You can say that about plenty of guys every year with 9 seasons of hindsight.

Looking back at any draft that you didn't follow closely is always hard.

Fair enough. That was a weird draft for receivers too...

He ran a 4.45 40 time. 6-4 with 4.45 40 time, those are the type of measurables that some teams love in the first.

Jenkins was the epitome of a late 1st/ early 2nd WR talent. That group produces more flops than any other (e.g. Chad Jackson). Go back a few years and look at the early pick, not elite, prospect (AJ Green, C.Johnson etc) WR's picked - a lot of forgettable names.

I agree with that. A lot of wide outs even drafted in the top ten bust (charles Rogers, mike Williams, Ted ginn, Troy Williamson).
Deadpulse

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nextsuperstar wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
nextsuperstar wrote:
rabbisson wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
rabbisson wrote:
How was he a first round pick?

You can say that about plenty of guys every year with 9 seasons of hindsight.

Looking back at any draft that you didn't follow closely is always hard.

Fair enough. That was a weird draft for receivers too...

He ran a 4.45 40 time. 6-4 with 4.45 40 time, those are the type of measurables that some teams love in the first.

Jenkins was the epitome of a late 1st/ early 2nd WR talent. That group produces more flops than any other (e.g. Chad Jackson). Go back a few years and look at the early pick, not elite, prospect (AJ Green, C.Johnson etc) WR's picked - a lot of forgettable names.

I agree with that. A lot of wide outs even drafted in the top ten bust (charles Rogers, mike Williams, Ted ginn, Troy Williamson).

DHB, Reggie Williams, David Terrell, Peter Warrick

Sigs-Taking Requests
HOVA333

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadpulse wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Deadpulse wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:

at this point, neither am I.

Unless HOVA333 was trying to tell me that Jenkins was a better option than Jones.

Im not at all. Im pretty much saying he bring other things to the table(same with Thomas), they hold a different value to their own position.

Adopt A Patriot
Logan Ryan : CB
Tkls: Int: FF:
Canton

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is good depth in my book. He is 30, has experience and has never really had a decent QB to receive passes from. Although he may not be a burner, he is 6'4 and can play in slot and get open at times I think in the right offense with the right person throwing him the ball which just happens to be the very best QB in the league still. And that height could help in the redzone in certain situations. Remember, its not like Tom ever needed any all pro receivers anyway, (Reche Caldwell, AFC Championship game) its about defense.
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

***Update***
Quote:
Michael Jenkins' one-year contract with the Patriots has a max value of $855,000 and includes no guaranteed money.
He didn't even get a signing bonus. Jenkins can earn $15,000 by reporting to offseason workouts, but will have to win a roster spot in training camp before locking in his $840,000 base salary. If the Pats see anything they don't like from Jenkins in the offseason or training camp, they can release the 31-year-old essentially free of charge. He'll be squarely on the roster bubble.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4741692/contract-catch-up-jenkins-cole-niko
Tom Brady Tribute
Richter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
***Update***
Quote:
Michael Jenkins' one-year contract with the Patriots has a max value of $855,000 and includes no guaranteed money.
He didn't even get a signing bonus. Jenkins can earn $15,000 by reporting to offseason workouts, but will have to win a roster spot in training camp before locking in his $840,000 base salary. If the Pats see anything they don't like from Jenkins in the offseason or training camp, they can release the 31-year-old essentially free of charge. He'll be squarely on the roster bubble.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4741692/contract-catch-up-jenkins-cole-niko

Camp fodder, pure and simple.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: