Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How much would Dimitroff drafting a safety early shock you?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Atlanta Falcons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tech2186

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scar988 wrote:
tech2186 wrote:
scar988 wrote:
tech2186 wrote:
scar988 wrote:
tech2186 wrote:
Swearinger is more of a box safety. His coverage skills are very suspect. Now I am not saying you are wrong but didn't the Falcons draft a Safety late last year? I still think that the surprise pick in the first 3 selections would be a Guard. There are some good Guard prospects in this draft and I still don't know how comfortable the team feels about Reynolds or Blaylock for that matter.
have you watched Swearinger? Dude can play CB or FS easily. I think you were thinking of Holloman. and I haven't seen anything on the Falcons being connected to Swearinger, but I would love it if they were.

I've watched Swearinger plenty this year. He isn't a complete liability in coverage but he will get beat deep a lot. Remember he faced lackluster SEC QB's and he benefitted from one of the best Front 7's in the NCAA. He is a great hitter though but he wouldn't be worth a top 3 round pick IMO because of his size as well.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/d.j.-swearinger?id=2539943

(They seem to agree as well)

my own evals have him at No. 28 overall. So obviously I don't agree. But I also do my own evals and don't rely on someone else to do them for me.

That's great that you do you own evals; however, what does that have to do with anything? Are you a GM or a real scout? And even if you were a real scout or GM that still doesn't mean you are right about every prospect.

The simple fact is that you obviously think Swearinger can play CB or cover big physical TE's consistently is not true. It actually shows me that you probably don't know much about USC football or watched the guy play that often. Swearinger is an enforcer type SS/LB. He will def be that in the league if he makes it. To rely on him as a coverage guy would be relying on a prayer.

ssi you even watch SC play? Swearinger was the FS. Holloman was the Spur, not Swearinger. I think you are getting the 2 confused.

Swearinger was a FS but USC didn't use him that way in their scheme. They only use 2 real LB's in their Schemes. Swearinger was more of a hybrid S/LB for them and moved around the field. His greatest attribute was that he was versitile but he didn't play coverage all that well . His best talent was run support. USC constantly got beat deep. Look at what QB's who had time to throw against them did! Look at that Tenn tape! Bray had a field day. Swearinger was a liability in pass coverage. People were wondering why Murray wouldn't attack downfield but he didn't have the time. That front 7 protected Swearinger big time.

ROO to all the Nasty Que Dogs!! I love my Omega Psi Phi!!!
University of Georgia Class of 2008
devils1854

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swearinger is known for his few big hits. He is a fringe 3rd round prospect at best. He is most definitely a in box safety. I would take about 8 FS over him in this upcoming draft.

If we do to safety, then Reid, Cyprien(prob not available), P Thomas, or Shamarko would be nice in the second.

#JDI
adam9

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devils1854 wrote:
Swearinger is known for his few big hits. He is a fringe 3rd round prospect at best. He is most definitely a in box safety. I would take about 8 FS over him in this upcoming draft.

If we do to safety, then Reid, Cyprien(prob not available), P Thomas, or Shamarko would be nice in the second.

Yeah no way I take DJ in 2. I like him in round 3 though.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly I don't think we're going to release DeCoud, he was solid last year... and he did make the pro bowl.. Him and Moore have chemistry and are touted as one of the top (if not the best) Safety duo in the league. Now the I'm thinking if in fact we do draft S high, it would be to play a somewhat hybrid S/LB role (we know Nolan mixes things up).

#FreeToddGurley
Jgoldiscool

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpoonFed56 wrote:
Honestly I don't think we're going to release DeCoud, he was solid last year... and he did make the pro bowl.. Him and Moore have chemistry and are touted as one of the top (if not the best) Safety duo in the league. Now the I'm thinking if in fact we do draft S high, it would be to play a somewhat hybrid S/LB role (we know Nolan mixes things up).
What makes you think we would release DeCoud?

XBL GT: l JGOLD l Adopt a Falcon | LB | Paul Worrilow
devils1854

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously, I'm as big of a DeCoud detractor as anyone, but he has become a top 20 safety, and for his price, you can't just draft someone. Yes, he has his defincies, but he is better than the draft picks available.

#JDI
SpoonFed56

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mekias wrote:
Yeah, I guess it's possible we draft a safety high. I'd still be slightly stunned considering the money invested in Moore/DeCoud. Although, looking at DeCoud's contract, he wasn't given much guaranteed money and his cap number almost doubles to 4.8 million in 2014. Releasing him after 2013 would cost us 1.8 million in cap space. It's certainly possible we are considering his replacement.

I thought DeCoud would push on and become a pro-bowler but he hasn't really. Nolan's confusing schemes helped him get some INTs last year but I still think he's kind of average.

Could we be looking at safeties to play a pseudo-OLB position and guard the likes of Jimmy Graham? Nolan doesn't do things by the book. Like Swoosh said, a 3rd safety isn't out of the realm of possibility.

@Jgold - I was replying to this.

#FreeToddGurley
Mekias

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpoonFed56 wrote:
Mekias wrote:
Yeah, I guess it's possible we draft a safety high. I'd still be slightly stunned considering the money invested in Moore/DeCoud. Although, looking at DeCoud's contract, he wasn't given much guaranteed money and his cap number almost doubles to 4.8 million in 2014. Releasing him after 2013 would cost us 1.8 million in cap space. It's certainly possible we are considering his replacement.

I thought DeCoud would push on and become a pro-bowler but he hasn't really. Nolan's confusing schemes helped him get some INTs last year but I still think he's kind of average.

Could we be looking at safeties to play a pseudo-OLB position and guard the likes of Jimmy Graham? Nolan doesn't do things by the book. Like Swoosh said, a 3rd safety isn't out of the realm of possibility.

@Jgold - I was replying to this.

Personally I don't think DeCoud is worth a cap number of $4.8 million but that doesn't mean he will be released, only that it's a possibility based on his contract. They may restructure it or just take the hit. I was just trying to determine why we're looking hard at safeties in the draft.
CJ4life

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm starting to think a S/LB hybrid would be a very real possibility. Not familiar with this year's safety class, but that would definitely help alleviate our woes in the second level of the defense.

driftwood wrote:
haggis wrote:
i bet if you had sould after he jumped a little cough here and there usually follow

lol, wait what?
JFalconFan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to get a safety early instead of a corner and use him as our nickel back. Would improve our coverage of tes while not dropping off too much run defense, as usual when using traditional nickel looks with a extra cb. Say DE then LB then S or S before LB. We still can draft a CB later. Our biggest needs IMO are DE CB or S in this scenario DT WR LB then another CB and DE. Hope we nail this draft.

JGold on the Sig

Atlanta Falcons and LSU Tigers all the way!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Atlanta Falcons All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: