Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How much would Dimitroff drafting a safety early shock you?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Atlanta Falcons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
swoosh


Joined: 03 Dec 2010
Posts: 9913
Location: pnw, usa.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:11 am    Post subject: How much would Dimitroff drafting a safety early shock you? Reply with quote

It would not shock me at all. In fact, I'm beginning to think a safety and not a corner will be the pick with one of the Falcons' first three selections.

With DeCoud and Moore locked up, the thought of a safety being a priority in the draft never crossed my mind. But then I saw several top safety prospects being connected to the Falcons: Jonathan Cyprien, D.J. Swearinger, and Phillip Thomas. Sure, it could be just smokescreen, but I don't think that's the case.

For starters, Moore is injury prone. We all saw what happened to the defense when he went down last year. The Falcons simply don't have much behind him. But you don't draft a player in the first couple of rounds just for depth, especially when you have other needs. The fact that a safety would provide depth is really just icing on the cake.

The real reason is said draft pick will start. Whaaaaat? Yeah. Nolan LOVES his nickel package (4-2-5). We all know that. But did you know that he likes to use a third safety? He hasn't done so here because he simply doesn't have the players. But that'll change after the draft IMO.

Let's, just for a second, say Swearinger is the pick in the second round. No other free agents are signed. The starting five in the secondary is Samuel and McClain at CB, DeCoud and Moore at FS and SS respectively, and Swearinger in the fifth DB role. I think a player like that would make the defense a lot more versatile and better overall. For starters, he's bigger and much, MUCH better against the run than McClain who filled that role last year. That alone instantly makes your run defense better. He's also big and athletic enough to cover TE's, something they couldn't do last year.

I think it makes a lot of sense. What say you? Smokescreen or legitimate possibility?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SpoonFed56


Joined: 11 Jan 2013
Posts: 1831
Location: GA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I have been hearing some things about S... and that would be kinda out of the box pick... But the rich get richer? Cool DeCoud/Moore/Swearinger would be a hell of a back end! Swearinger is huge; We would have our own "Legion of Boom" in ATL Twisted Evil
_________________

#FreeToddGurley
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BeeperKing


Joined: 10 Feb 2013
Posts: 4538
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed all the safeties that we brought in too. I thought it was a smokescreen at first, but now think it's a legit possibility. All the reasons you listed are all good, but maybe the FO views some of them as cornerbacks too.

Another reason could be divisional. Carolina will defiantly take a safety early, New Orleans might too. We could just be getting to know the enemy.
_________________


Foster a Falcon '14: Julio Jones
FakingInjuries wrote:

Without those elite targets, [Matt Ryan] is in the same tier as Matt Cassell.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
matt2roddy


Joined: 21 Dec 2011
Posts: 958
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyprien would be friggin sick Shocked
_________________


My 2011 Adopt-A-Falcon: 1st Team All Rookie Linebacker Akeem Dent!!!
2012 Adopt-A-Falcon: CB Asante Samuel
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SpoonFed56


Joined: 11 Jan 2013
Posts: 1831
Location: GA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swearinger/Cyprien fit the mold of a hybrid S/LB... can play the run or go into coverage... God Nolan is gonna mold this defense so nice!
_________________

#FreeToddGurley
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tech2186


Joined: 01 Jan 2008
Posts: 4505
Location: Dawg House
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swearinger is more of a box safety. His coverage skills are very suspect. Now I am not saying you are wrong but didn't the Falcons draft a Safety late last year? I still think that the surprise pick in the first 3 selections would be a Guard. There are some good Guard prospects in this draft and I still don't know how comfortable the team feels about Reynolds or Blaylock for that matter.
_________________


ROO to all the Nasty Que Dogs!! I love my Omega Psi Phi!!!
University of Georgia Class of 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
scar988


FF Fanatic
Joined: 05 Apr 2005
Posts: 29508
Location: Marietta, GA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tech2186 wrote:
Swearinger is more of a box safety. His coverage skills are very suspect. Now I am not saying you are wrong but didn't the Falcons draft a Safety late last year? I still think that the surprise pick in the first 3 selections would be a Guard. There are some good Guard prospects in this draft and I still don't know how comfortable the team feels about Reynolds or Blaylock for that matter.
have you watched Swearinger? Dude can play CB or FS easily. I think you were thinking of Holloman. and I haven't seen anything on the Falcons being connected to Swearinger, but I would love it if they were.
_________________

Dirty Bird Watch: DL Jonathan Babineaux
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
scar988


FF Fanatic
Joined: 05 Apr 2005
Posts: 29508
Location: Marietta, GA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: How much would Dimitroff drafting a safety early shock y Reply with quote

swoosh wrote:
It would not shock me at all. In fact, I'm beginning to think a safety and not a corner will be the pick with one of the Falcons' first three selections.

With DeCoud and Moore locked up, the thought of a safety being a priority in the draft never crossed my mind. But then I saw several top safety prospects being connected to the Falcons: Jonathan Cyprien, D.J. Swearinger, and Phillip Thomas. Sure, it could be just smokescreen, but I don't think that's the case.

For starters, Moore is injury prone. We all saw what happened to the defense when he went down last year. The Falcons simply don't have much behind him. But you don't draft a player in the first couple of rounds just for depth, especially when you have other needs. The fact that a safety would provide depth is really just icing on the cake.

The real reason is said draft pick will start. Whaaaaat? Yeah. Nolan LOVES his nickel package (4-2-5). We all know that. But did you know that he likes to use a third safety? He hasn't done so here because he simply doesn't have the players. But that'll change after the draft IMO.

Let's, just for a second, say Swearinger is the pick in the second round. No other free agents are signed. The starting five in the secondary is Samuel and McClain at CB, DeCoud and Moore at FS and SS respectively, and Swearinger in the fifth DB role. I think a player like that would make the defense a lot more versatile and better overall. For starters, he's bigger and much, MUCH better against the run than McClain who filled that role last year. That alone instantly makes your run defense better. He's also big and athletic enough to cover TE's, something they couldn't do last year.

I think it makes a lot of sense. What say you? Smokescreen or legitimate possibility?

very legitimate possibility. The first round pick will tell it all though. Falcons have also been linked to quite a few corners. so who knows what the true plan is. And Nolan ran a lot more 3-3-5 and 2-4-5 last year than 4-2-5. but the concept is still pretty much the same.
_________________

Dirty Bird Watch: DL Jonathan Babineaux
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
tech2186


Joined: 01 Jan 2008
Posts: 4505
Location: Dawg House
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scar988 wrote:
tech2186 wrote:
Swearinger is more of a box safety. His coverage skills are very suspect. Now I am not saying you are wrong but didn't the Falcons draft a Safety late last year? I still think that the surprise pick in the first 3 selections would be a Guard. There are some good Guard prospects in this draft and I still don't know how comfortable the team feels about Reynolds or Blaylock for that matter.
have you watched Swearinger? Dude can play CB or FS easily. I think you were thinking of Holloman. and I haven't seen anything on the Falcons being connected to Swearinger, but I would love it if they were.


I've watched Swearinger plenty this year. He isn't a complete liability in coverage but he will get beat deep a lot. Remember he faced lackluster SEC QB's and he benefitted from one of the best Front 7's in the NCAA. He is a great hitter though but he wouldn't be worth a top 3 round pick IMO because of his size as well.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/d.j.-swearinger?id=2539943

(They seem to agree as well)
_________________


ROO to all the Nasty Que Dogs!! I love my Omega Psi Phi!!!
University of Georgia Class of 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
scar988


FF Fanatic
Joined: 05 Apr 2005
Posts: 29508
Location: Marietta, GA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tech2186 wrote:
scar988 wrote:
tech2186 wrote:
Swearinger is more of a box safety. His coverage skills are very suspect. Now I am not saying you are wrong but didn't the Falcons draft a Safety late last year? I still think that the surprise pick in the first 3 selections would be a Guard. There are some good Guard prospects in this draft and I still don't know how comfortable the team feels about Reynolds or Blaylock for that matter.
have you watched Swearinger? Dude can play CB or FS easily. I think you were thinking of Holloman. and I haven't seen anything on the Falcons being connected to Swearinger, but I would love it if they were.


I've watched Swearinger plenty this year. He isn't a complete liability in coverage but he will get beat deep a lot. Remember he faced lackluster SEC QB's and he benefitted from one of the best Front 7's in the NCAA. He is a great hitter though but he wouldn't be worth a top 3 round pick IMO because of his size as well.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/d.j.-swearinger?id=2539943

(They seem to agree as well)

my own evals have him at No. 28 overall. So obviously I don't agree. But I also do my own evals and don't rely on someone else to do them for me.
_________________

Dirty Bird Watch: DL Jonathan Babineaux
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Mekias


Joined: 27 Mar 2009
Posts: 481
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I guess it's possible we draft a safety high. I'd still be slightly stunned considering the money invested in Moore/DeCoud. Although, looking at DeCoud's contract, he wasn't given much guaranteed money and his cap number almost doubles to 4.8 million in 2014. Releasing him after 2013 would cost us 1.8 million in cap space. It's certainly possible we are considering his replacement.

I thought DeCoud would push on and become a pro-bowler but he hasn't really. Nolan's confusing schemes helped him get some INTs last year but I still think he's kind of average.

Could we be looking at safeties to play a pseudo-OLB position and guard the likes of Jimmy Graham? Nolan doesn't do things by the book. Like Swoosh said, a 3rd safety isn't out of the realm of possibility.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
adam9


Joined: 06 Jan 2011
Posts: 14334
Location: Kennesaw, GA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scar988 wrote:
tech2186 wrote:
Swearinger is more of a box safety. His coverage skills are very suspect. Now I am not saying you are wrong but didn't the Falcons draft a Safety late last year? I still think that the surprise pick in the first 3 selections would be a Guard. There are some good Guard prospects in this draft and I still don't know how comfortable the team feels about Reynolds or Blaylock for that matter.
have you watched Swearinger? Dude can play CB or FS easily. I think you were thinking of Holloman. and I haven't seen anything on the Falcons being connected to Swearinger, but I would love it if they were.

He is a hard hitting, LB type of Safety. He might not have the size like a Landry but he is not a CB. Then again I thought a former Gamecock Chris Culliver wasn't a CB either (not the same type of S I see DJ as though) and he proved me wrong...

I like the idea. Keep our nickel package as a primary option and rotate between 3 safeties and 3 CBs. Not sure if we do it, but I like the concept..
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tech2186


Joined: 01 Jan 2008
Posts: 4505
Location: Dawg House
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scar988 wrote:
tech2186 wrote:
scar988 wrote:
tech2186 wrote:
Swearinger is more of a box safety. His coverage skills are very suspect. Now I am not saying you are wrong but didn't the Falcons draft a Safety late last year? I still think that the surprise pick in the first 3 selections would be a Guard. There are some good Guard prospects in this draft and I still don't know how comfortable the team feels about Reynolds or Blaylock for that matter.
have you watched Swearinger? Dude can play CB or FS easily. I think you were thinking of Holloman. and I haven't seen anything on the Falcons being connected to Swearinger, but I would love it if they were.


I've watched Swearinger plenty this year. He isn't a complete liability in coverage but he will get beat deep a lot. Remember he faced lackluster SEC QB's and he benefitted from one of the best Front 7's in the NCAA. He is a great hitter though but he wouldn't be worth a top 3 round pick IMO because of his size as well.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/d.j.-swearinger?id=2539943

(They seem to agree as well)

my own evals have him at No. 28 overall. So obviously I don't agree. But I also do my own evals and don't rely on someone else to do them for me.


That's great that you do you own evals; however, what does that have to do with anything? Are you a GM or a real scout? And even if you were a real scout or GM that still doesn't mean you are right about every prospect.

The simple fact is that you obviously think Swearinger can play CB or cover big physical TE's consistently is not true. It actually shows me that you probably don't know much about USC football or watched the guy play that often. Swearinger is an enforcer type SS/LB. He will def be that in the league if he makes it. To rely on him as a coverage guy would be relying on a prayer.
_________________


ROO to all the Nasty Que Dogs!! I love my Omega Psi Phi!!!
University of Georgia Class of 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
scar988


FF Fanatic
Joined: 05 Apr 2005
Posts: 29508
Location: Marietta, GA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tech2186 wrote:
scar988 wrote:
tech2186 wrote:
scar988 wrote:
tech2186 wrote:
Swearinger is more of a box safety. His coverage skills are very suspect. Now I am not saying you are wrong but didn't the Falcons draft a Safety late last year? I still think that the surprise pick in the first 3 selections would be a Guard. There are some good Guard prospects in this draft and I still don't know how comfortable the team feels about Reynolds or Blaylock for that matter.
have you watched Swearinger? Dude can play CB or FS easily. I think you were thinking of Holloman. and I haven't seen anything on the Falcons being connected to Swearinger, but I would love it if they were.


I've watched Swearinger plenty this year. He isn't a complete liability in coverage but he will get beat deep a lot. Remember he faced lackluster SEC QB's and he benefitted from one of the best Front 7's in the NCAA. He is a great hitter though but he wouldn't be worth a top 3 round pick IMO because of his size as well.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/d.j.-swearinger?id=2539943

(They seem to agree as well)

my own evals have him at No. 28 overall. So obviously I don't agree. But I also do my own evals and don't rely on someone else to do them for me.


That's great that you do you own evals; however, what does that have to do with anything? Are you a GM or a real scout? And even if you were a real scout or GM that still doesn't mean you are right about every prospect.

The simple fact is that you obviously think Swearinger can play CB or cover big physical TE's consistently is not true. It actually shows me that you probably don't know much about USC football or watched the guy play that often. Swearinger is an enforcer type SS/LB. He will def be that in the league if he makes it. To rely on him as a coverage guy would be relying on a prayer.

ssi you even watch SC play? Swearinger was the FS. Holloman was the Spur, not Swearinger. I think you are getting the 2 confused.
_________________

Dirty Bird Watch: DL Jonathan Babineaux
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
falcfan4life


Joined: 06 Nov 2008
Posts: 244
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if we go S/LB i like Samrock
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Atlanta Falcons All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group