Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Another Weapon
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WindyCity

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roadrunner wrote:
Marshall/Barden/Jeffrey and M. Bennett.....
I sure would not want to be Dom Capers trying to figure out how to defend THAT in the red zone.

They are all gigantic and not super fast.

You play press coverage with the CBs across the board keep safeties over top and take away the slants with your OLBs.

We need a nice cheap speed option at WR and then we are done.

We have tons of size.
IronMike84

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN4Y_KvJWMQ

I really, really want to watch a draft with those guys.
Roadrunner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Roadrunner wrote:
Marshall/Barden/Jeffrey and M. Bennett.....
I sure would not want to be Dom Capers trying to figure out how to defend THAT in the red zone.

They are all gigantic and not super fast.

You play press coverage with the CBs across the board keep safeties over top and take away the slants with your OLBs.

We need a nice cheap speed option at WR and then we are done.

We have tons of size.

I agree we need a speedster to stretch the field, but I do not think we can have too many weapons. I hope they pick up two more receivers, one on the cheap and one in the draft.

Barden is looking for a change of scenery and an opportunity to jumpstart a career that has found him with very few opportunities to get on the field. He won't break the bank, either.

Off topic, but who would your choice for a speedster be in the draft?
Sugashane

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember in the preseason game against the Giants in 2012? Barden ate Tillman alive that game. Granted it was preseason so it is more tuning up and adjusting while staying healthy, but he warrants a look just for that reason alone.
BonanzaHawk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the fact that we haven't been linked to any FA WR's might possibly be indicative of how we plan to draft. Some will say it is debatable, but we have a glaring lack of a speed weapon in our corps, and I find it impossible to believe that Emery doesn't realize that.

At this point, the longer we go without being linked to any FA receivers, the more we should expect Emery to go WR at 20.

My board in such a scenario would be 1) Tavon Austin, 2) Keenan Allen, 3) Cordarrelle Patterson.

Austin is obviously the most lethal and versatile weapon in the draft. Allen, I feel, while he may not be quite the burner many of us desire, he is the most ready to contribute now, and also seems like a very dynamic guy to stick in the slot, given that he's got a good combination of size and speed, but also toughness and willingness to work over the middle. Perfect slot guy. Patterson has a super duper combo of size and speed, and while I feel he's most suited as an outside receiver, he's raw enough and skilled enough, he could maybe eventually turn into a 6'4" Tavon Austin. Very raw though; I suspect growing pains would be pretty severe.
Mudderfudder77

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Markus Wheaton would be great value if we decide to go WR in the 2nd and he's still there at 50.

Adopt-a-Bear Lamarr Houston

Man-child. QB-killer. Defender of the run. Destroyer of worlds
Roadrunner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really see that we have a need for TWO WR's. I would prefer that at least one of them has SOME experience in the NFL. I realize M. Bennett at TE will help, but what do we have at receiver right now? Marshall/E. Bennett/Jeffery....We don't need a world beater, but a guy that could get us 400-500 yards over the course of the season and hopefully good production from a (speedy) rookie would be nice. It is no sure fire bet that a rookie will produce in his first season, especially when those around him are learning a new system.

Barden is tall and he would be a great target to keep the pass rush at bay. He looks like a slant machine to me and he has a knack for getting open between the hashes. Nothing wrong with a one-trick pony to help counteract a line that, at best, will need some time to "gel." <<<GOD, I hate that word.

Anywho, in the meantime it is "in Emery we trust."
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BonanzaHawk wrote:
I think the fact that we haven't been linked to any FA WR's might possibly be indicative of how we plan to draft. Some will say it is debatable, but we have a glaring lack of a speed weapon in our corps, and I find it impossible to believe that Emery doesn't realize that. We do need a speed guy but we need a lot more, too. This is why Emery wants to trade the 20th pick. He apparently does not believe a player worth the 20th will be there for the Bears.

At this point, the longer we go without being linked to any FA receivers, the more we should expect Emery to go WR at 20. Quite the contrary, the probability of us taking a WR there is very low. We will be looking for speedy guys where they are typically drafted 4th round and lower, maybe even two.

My board in such a scenario would be 1) Tavon Austin, 2) Keenan Allen, 3) Cordarrelle Patterson.

Austin is obviously the most lethal and versatile weapon in the draft. I would not expect that to be the case as a pro nor is he a typical WR but a Gimmick Guy. He cannot be used that much because of his size. And his speed means nothing if he is not or cannot be on the field. Allen, I feel, while he may not be quite the burner many of us desire, he is the most ready to contribute now, and also seems like a very dynamic guy to stick in the slot, given that he's got a good combination of size and speed, but also toughness and willingness to work over the middle. Perfect slot guy. Patterson has a super duper combo of size and speed, and while I feel he's most suited as an outside receiver, he's raw enough and skilled enough, he could maybe eventually turn into a 6'4" Tavon Austin. Very raw though; I suspect growing pains would be pretty severe.
There is no need to draft a WR high. While it is a deep class I do not see a big difference or a reason to chase any in the 1st or 2d.

But the truth is, we cannot count on ANY rookie WR doing much of anything.
We might get lucky like we did with Knox but even our rook last yr did little.
Bears54

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:43 am    Post subject: hmmm.... Reply with quote

I've been saying since free agency started....I liked him in North Carolina....

BRANDON TATE!!!!

He is a speed Slot guy that has better hands than DHB.....
GOGRIESE

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChicagoAl wrote:
BonanzaHawk wrote:
I think the fact that we haven't been linked to any FA WR's might possibly be indicative of how we plan to draft. Some will say it is debatable, but we have a glaring lack of a speed weapon in our corps, and I find it impossible to believe that Emery doesn't realize that. We do need a speed guy but we need a lot more, too. This is why Emery wants to trade the 20th pick. He apparently does not believe a player worth the 20th will be there for the Bears.

At this point, the longer we go without being linked to any FA receivers, the more we should expect Emery to go WR at 20. Quite the contrary, the probability of us taking a WR there is very low. We will be looking for speedy guys where they are typically drafted 4th round and lower, maybe even two.

Austin is obviously the most lethal and versatile weapon in the draft. I would not expect that to be the case as a pro nor is he a typical WR but a Gimmick Guy. He cannot be used that much because of his size. And his speed means nothing if he is not or cannot be on the field. Allen, I feel, while he may not be quite the burner many of us desire, he is the most ready to contribute now, and also seems like a very dynamic guy to stick in the slot, given that he's got a good combination of size and speed, but also toughness and willingness to work over the middle. Perfect slot guy. Patterson has a super duper combo of size and speed, and while I feel he's most suited as an outside receiver, he's raw enough and skilled enough, he could maybe eventually turn into a 6'4" Tavon Austin. Very raw though; I suspect growing pains would be pretty severe.
There is no need to draft a WR high. While it is a deep class I do not see a big difference or a reason to chase any in the 1st or 2d.

I am sooooo interested to hear how he is just a gimmick guy and how his size means he wont be out on the field often.

^^ props to Ty on the sig Smile

2013-Adopt A Bear- CB Tim Jennings #26
Badger75

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Marshall and Jeffrey as targets, Bennett should have a good year. Forte and Bennett should see a lot of outlet passes. Cool
pigsooie5

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Food for thought;

Phil Emery has drafted a WR in every draft he's been associated with.
(Angelo's Safety)

Phil Emery has never selected a Guard in round 1 of any draft he's been associated with.

BEARS------BULLS------DODGERS------KINGS
Adopt-A-Bear: Kyle Long, Guard
pigsooie5

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roadrunner wrote:
I really see that we have a need for TWO WR's. I would prefer that at least one of them has SOME experience in the NFL. I realize M. Bennett at TE will help, but what do we have at receiver right now? Marshall/E. Bennett/Jeffery....We don't need a world beater, but a guy that could get us 400-500 yards over the course of the season and hopefully good production from a (speedy) rookie would be nice. It is no sure fire bet that a rookie will produce in his first season, especially when those around him are learning a new system.

Barden is tall and he would be a great target to keep the pass rush at bay. He looks like a slant machine to me and he has a knack for getting open between the hashes. Nothing wrong with a one-trick pony to help counteract a line that, at best, will need some time to "gel." <<<GOD, I hate that word.

Anywho, in the meantime it is "in Emery we trust."

The problem with this is all about the $$$. No way there gunna pay Weems $2 million/year to be the #5/6 WR. Same goes for Hester, we're already gunna be paying him $1.5 million/year to be our "#7 WR". If we were to draft a guy they like more than Earl Bennett, it would cause a sea of problems for him and his contract being over $2 million as a #4 WR.

BEARS------BULLS------DODGERS------KINGS
Adopt-A-Bear: Kyle Long, Guard
WindyCity

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or Phil Emery is happy with the top group of

Marshall
Jeffery
Bennett

I would live Austin but we dumped a ton of resources into the WR position may season and I doubt we invest a 1st round pick into the position as well.

We have huge needs at other positions.
Roadrunner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Or Phil Emery is happy with the top group of

Marshall
Jeffery
Bennett

I would live Austin but we dumped a ton of resources into the WR position may season and I doubt we invest a 1st round pick into the position as well.

We have huge needs at other positions.

I cannot blame him for being happy with that group. However, what happens when we lose one of them for the season?

To Pigsooie's point, Weems should be shown the door. I am not convinced Hester should not see the same fate if we cannot get something for him. Hell, I'd take a half-eaten bowl of split pea soup at this point. Somebody would give up a late round pick. Certainly one of the corners or WR we pick up in the draft can return kicks and we know Zbikowski is tough to take down from watching him at Notre Dame.

It just seems to me that it would not hurt to load up on weapons and try to bring some young guys along on defense. I think they could afford to bring in a FA guard and Barden (or another cheap option) if they shook the trees and watched what fell out.

Maybe they think they can get Weems more involved. That would work, as well. I want to see us have the magnitude of weapons that GB has had--plus a run game. It seems we have never had a tough time putting together a defense in Chicago, but our offenses have been a (mostly) joke as long as I have been alive....and I am not a youngster by any stretch of the imagination. The offense was fun to watch last year at times, but when you look at where we ranked, it is really a pretty sad state of affairs. Not all of that can be attributed to a poor offensive line.

You guys all make some good points.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: