Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Top 2014 free agents, where do we spend all this money???
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
big_palooka


Joined: 30 Mar 2006
Posts: 22854
Location: ATL
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitty wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
bitty wrote:
You guys have to understand that Green Bay is not like a regular team.
They are a public team owned by the city of Green Bay. They just don't have the money to spend on FAs. Their primary responsibility is to keep the game affordable for the people of Green Bay not to sign FAs. That's why they sold stock in the team to make renovations to the stadium.


Ha.... did you just make that up? You obviously have no idea what you are talking about in regard to GB's setup.

Just because they are investor owned doesn't mean they don't have money to spend. That is just WAY WAY off base.


It's always the same with you.
You're just incapable of communicating like a normal person.
Always with the putdowns. I guess it makes you feel better about yourself.


No. You constantly say things completely off base with no knowledge of the situation. Over and over.

It's one thing to maybe ask the question, another to just post something like this as a fact when you clearly don't understand it.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bitty


Joined: 19 Jan 2005
Posts: 3823
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
bitty wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
bitty wrote:
You guys have to understand that Green Bay is not like a regular team.
They are a public team owned by the city of Green Bay. They just don't have the money to spend on FAs. Their primary responsibility is to keep the game affordable for the people of Green Bay not to sign FAs. That's why they sold stock in the team to make renovations to the stadium.


Ha.... did you just make that up? You obviously have no idea what you are talking about in regard to GB's setup.

Just because they are investor owned doesn't mean they don't have money to spend. That is just WAY WAY off base.


It's always the same with you.
You're just incapable of communicating like a normal person.
Always with the putdowns. I guess it makes you feel better about yourself.


No. You constantly say things completely off base with no knowledge of the situation. Over and over.

It's one thing to maybe ask the question, another to just post something like this as a fact when you clearly don't understand it.


What was off-base?
There are small marketing team. True
They are owned by the people Green Bay. True
They don't spend on FAs. True
Their tickets aren't as expensive as they should be for a team that sold out for the last 50 years. True
They sold stock in the team to refurbished the stadium. True
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TiberiusRising


Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 9173
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitty wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
bitty wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
bitty wrote:
You guys have to understand that Green Bay is not like a regular team.
They are a public team owned by the city of Green Bay. They just don't have the money to spend on FAs. Their primary responsibility is to keep the game affordable for the people of Green Bay not to sign FAs. That's why they sold stock in the team to make renovations to the stadium.


Ha.... did you just make that up? You obviously have no idea what you are talking about in regard to GB's setup.

Just because they are investor owned doesn't mean they don't have money to spend. That is just WAY WAY off base.


It's always the same with you.
You're just incapable of communicating like a normal person.
Always with the putdowns. I guess it makes you feel better about yourself.


No. You constantly say things completely off base with no knowledge of the situation. Over and over.

It's one thing to maybe ask the question, another to just post something like this as a fact when you clearly don't understand it.


What was off-base?
There are small marketing team. True
They are owned by the people Green Bay. True
They don't spend on FAs. True
Their tickets aren't as expensive as they should be for a team that sold out for the last 50 years. True
They sold stock in the team to refurbished the stadium. True


For me I disagree that those are the reasons that they dont spend in FA. There is a difference in having a philosophy on something as opposed to not having the ability (money) to do something. And ticket prices are not the only way teams make money. Really that is just peanuts compared to sponserships and retail sales. If tickets were the big money maker's than teams would be SOL especially ours.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bitty


Joined: 19 Jan 2005
Posts: 3823
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TiberiusRising wrote:
bitty wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
bitty wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
bitty wrote:
You guys have to understand that Green Bay is not like a regular team.
They are a public team owned by the city of Green Bay. They just don't have the money to spend on FAs. Their primary responsibility is to keep the game affordable for the people of Green Bay not to sign FAs. That's why they sold stock in the team to make renovations to the stadium.


Ha.... did you just make that up? You obviously have no idea what you are talking about in regard to GB's setup.

Just because they are investor owned doesn't mean they don't have money to spend. That is just WAY WAY off base.


It's always the same with you.
You're just incapable of communicating like a normal person.
Always with the putdowns. I guess it makes you feel better about yourself.


No. You constantly say things completely off base with no knowledge of the situation. Over and over.

It's one thing to maybe ask the question, another to just post something like this as a fact when you clearly don't understand it.


What was off-base?
There are small marketing team. True
They are owned by the people Green Bay. True
They don't spend on FAs. True
Their tickets aren't as expensive as they should be for a team that sold out for the last 50 years. True
They sold stock in the team to refurbished the stadium. True


For me I disagree that those are the reasons that they dont spend in FA. There is a difference in having a philosophy on something as opposed to not having the ability (money) to do something. And ticket prices are not the only way teams make money. Really that is just peanuts compared to sponserships and retail sales. If tickets were the big money maker's than teams would be SOL especially ours.


They don't spend on FAs and always have unspent money.
Last year they were 13 million under the cap. They did nothing with it.

You're right about the corporate money being the majority of the money they make but I don't thing Green Bay care about it.
Tradition is big with those guys. Why else will the stadium called Lambeau Field instead of AT&T, Citibank or something else.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
big_palooka


Joined: 30 Mar 2006
Posts: 22854
Location: ATL
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitty wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
bitty wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
bitty wrote:
You guys have to understand that Green Bay is not like a regular team.
They are a public team owned by the city of Green Bay. They just don't have the money to spend on FAs. Their primary responsibility is to keep the game affordable for the people of Green Bay not to sign FAs. That's why they sold stock in the team to make renovations to the stadium.


Ha.... did you just make that up? You obviously have no idea what you are talking about in regard to GB's setup.

Just because they are investor owned doesn't mean they don't have money to spend. That is just WAY WAY off base.


It's always the same with you.
You're just incapable of communicating like a normal person.
Always with the putdowns. I guess it makes you feel better about yourself.


No. You constantly say things completely off base with no knowledge of the situation. Over and over.

It's one thing to maybe ask the question, another to just post something like this as a fact when you clearly don't understand it.


What was off-base?
There are small marketing team. True
They are owned by the people Green Bay. True
They don't spend on FAs. True
Their tickets aren't as expensive as they should be for a team that sold out for the last 50 years. True
They sold stock in the team to refurbished the stadium. True


Do you even remember what you said?

You said they don't spend big in FA because they are owned publicly and don't have enough money. That is 110% off base.

They don't spend big because Thompson is a Ron Wolf disciple and believe above all else a team is built through the draft.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oak42069


Joined: 08 Apr 2009
Posts: 2114
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
bitty wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
bitty wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
bitty wrote:
You guys have to understand that Green Bay is not like a regular team.
They are a public team owned by the city of Green Bay. They just don't have the money to spend on FAs. Their primary responsibility is to keep the game affordable for the people of Green Bay not to sign FAs. That's why they sold stock in the team to make renovations to the stadium.


Ha.... did you just make that up? You obviously have no idea what you are talking about in regard to GB's setup.

Just because they are investor owned doesn't mean they don't have money to spend. That is just WAY WAY off base.


It's always the same with you.
You're just incapable of communicating like a normal person.
Always with the putdowns. I guess it makes you feel better about yourself.


No. You constantly say things completely off base with no knowledge of the situation. Over and over.

It's one thing to maybe ask the question, another to just post something like this as a fact when you clearly don't understand it.


What was off-base?
There are small marketing team. True
They are owned by the people Green Bay. True
They don't spend on FAs. True
Their tickets aren't as expensive as they should be for a team that sold out for the last 50 years. True
They sold stock in the team to refurbished the stadium. True


Do you even remember what you said?

You said they don't spend big in FA because they are owned publicly and don't have enough money. That is 110% off base.

They don't spend big because Thompson is a Ron Wolf disciple and believe above all else a team is built through the draft.


concur completely

we, Oakland gonna copycat on the bold
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bitty


Joined: 19 Jan 2005
Posts: 3823
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oak42069 wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
bitty wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
bitty wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
bitty wrote:
You guys have to understand that Green Bay is not like a regular team.
They are a public team owned by the city of Green Bay. They just don't have the money to spend on FAs. Their primary responsibility is to keep the game affordable for the people of Green Bay not to sign FAs. That's why they sold stock in the team to make renovations to the stadium.


Ha.... did you just make that up? You obviously have no idea what you are talking about in regard to GB's setup.

Just because they are investor owned doesn't mean they don't have money to spend. That is just WAY WAY off base.


It's always the same with you.
You're just incapable of communicating like a normal person.
Always with the putdowns. I guess it makes you feel better about yourself.


No. You constantly say things completely off base with no knowledge of the situation. Over and over.

It's one thing to maybe ask the question, another to just post something like this as a fact when you clearly don't understand it.


What was off-base?
There are small marketing team. True
They are owned by the people Green Bay. True
They don't spend on FAs. True
Their tickets aren't as expensive as they should be for a team that sold out for the last 50 years. True
They sold stock in the team to refurbished the stadium. True


Do you even remember what you said?

You said they don't spend big in FA because they are owned publicly and don't have enough money. That is 110% off base.

They don't spend big because Thompson is a Ron Wolf disciple and believe above all else a team is built through the draft.


concur completely

we, Oakland gonna copycat on the bold


That's not true, Ron Wolf signed a lot of free agents.
You forget he was with the Raiders in the late 80's. they singed every loser out there.
Then with Green Bay he signed.
C Frank Winters, 1992: Signed in Plan B free agency, he played a huge part in quarterback Brett Favre's development.

WR Kitrick Taylor, '92: Also signed in Plan B, he jump-started Favre's career with a game-winning catch.

DE Reggie White, '93: Helped return Green Bay to a place championships could be won.

OG Harry Galbreath, '93: Gave coach Mike Holmgren a shot of athleticism he needed upfront.

S Mike Prior, '93: Core special teams player who did his best to fill in at safety despite lack of speed.

DE Sean Jones, '94: Sack artist who made it tough for teams to double-team White all the time.

DT Santana Dotson, '95: Turned coordinator Fritz Shurmur's defensive line from good to great.

KR/PR Desmond Howard, '96: Broke an NFL punt-return record and won a Super Bowl MVP.

OT Bruce Wilkerson, '96: Critical piece of Super Bowl XXXI team, filling void at left tackle late in the year.

WR Don Beebe, '96: Perfect for a young receiving corps even if his contribution was limited.

P Sean Landeta, '98: Had a superb year at age 36 and should have been re-signed.

Others: OG Tunch Ilkin, WR Mark Clayton, WR Mark Ingram, NT Bill Maas, RB Reggie Cobb, S Pat Terrell, OG Guy McIntyre, LB Fred Strickland, LB Ron Cox, OG Raleigh McKenzie, RB Raymont Harris, DE John Thierry, LB Mike Morton and NT Russell Maryland.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
big_palooka


Joined: 30 Mar 2006
Posts: 22854
Location: ATL
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitty wrote:
oak42069 wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
bitty wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
bitty wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
bitty wrote:
You guys have to understand that Green Bay is not like a regular team.
They are a public team owned by the city of Green Bay. They just don't have the money to spend on FAs. Their primary responsibility is to keep the game affordable for the people of Green Bay not to sign FAs. That's why they sold stock in the team to make renovations to the stadium.


Ha.... did you just make that up? You obviously have no idea what you are talking about in regard to GB's setup.

Just because they are investor owned doesn't mean they don't have money to spend. That is just WAY WAY off base.


It's always the same with you.
You're just incapable of communicating like a normal person.
Always with the putdowns. I guess it makes you feel better about yourself.


No. You constantly say things completely off base with no knowledge of the situation. Over and over.

It's one thing to maybe ask the question, another to just post something like this as a fact when you clearly don't understand it.


What was off-base?
There are small marketing team. True
They are owned by the people Green Bay. True
They don't spend on FAs. True
Their tickets aren't as expensive as they should be for a team that sold out for the last 50 years. True
They sold stock in the team to refurbished the stadium. True


Do you even remember what you said?

You said they don't spend big in FA because they are owned publicly and don't have enough money. That is 110% off base.

They don't spend big because Thompson is a Ron Wolf disciple and believe above all else a team is built through the draft.


concur completely

we, Oakland gonna copycat on the bold


That's not true, Ron Wolf signed a lot of free agents.
You forget he was with the Raiders in the late 80's. they singed every loser out there.
Then with Green Bay he signed.
C Frank Winters, 1992: Signed in Plan B free agency, he played a huge part in quarterback Brett Favre's development.

WR Kitrick Taylor, '92: Also signed in Plan B, he jump-started Favre's career with a game-winning catch.

DE Reggie White, '93: Helped return Green Bay to a place championships could be won.

OG Harry Galbreath, '93: Gave coach Mike Holmgren a shot of athleticism he needed upfront.

S Mike Prior, '93: Core special teams player who did his best to fill in at safety despite lack of speed.

DE Sean Jones, '94: Sack artist who made it tough for teams to double-team White all the time.

DT Santana Dotson, '95: Turned coordinator Fritz Shurmur's defensive line from good to great.

KR/PR Desmond Howard, '96: Broke an NFL punt-return record and won a Super Bowl MVP.

OT Bruce Wilkerson, '96: Critical piece of Super Bowl XXXI team, filling void at left tackle late in the year.

WR Don Beebe, '96: Perfect for a young receiving corps even if his contribution was limited.

P Sean Landeta, '98: Had a superb year at age 36 and should have been re-signed.

Others: OG Tunch Ilkin, WR Mark Clayton, WR Mark Ingram, NT Bill Maas, RB Reggie Cobb, S Pat Terrell, OG Guy McIntyre, LB Fred Strickland, LB Ron Cox, OG Raleigh McKenzie, RB Raymont Harris, DE John Thierry, LB Mike Morton and NT Russell Maryland.


Of course he signed a lot of FAs. The point is they didn't spend big money on them. It was always bargain signings predominately.

And any Raider fan knows Al Davis over saw all signings in Oakland. So that is another meaningless point to make.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bitty


Joined: 19 Jan 2005
Posts: 3823
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
bitty wrote:
oak42069 wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
bitty wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
bitty wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
bitty wrote:
You guys have to understand that Green Bay is not like a regular team.
They are a public team owned by the city of Green Bay. They just don't have the money to spend on FAs. Their primary responsibility is to keep the game affordable for the people of Green Bay not to sign FAs. That's why they sold stock in the team to make renovations to the stadium.


Ha.... did you just make that up? You obviously have no idea what you are talking about in regard to GB's setup.

Just because they are investor owned doesn't mean they don't have money to spend. That is just WAY WAY off base.


It's always the same with you.
You're just incapable of communicating like a normal person.
Always with the putdowns. I guess it makes you feel better about yourself.


No. You constantly say things completely off base with no knowledge of the situation. Over and over.

It's one thing to maybe ask the question, another to just post something like this as a fact when you clearly don't understand it.


What was off-base?
There are small marketing team. True
They are owned by the people Green Bay. True
They don't spend on FAs. True
Their tickets aren't as expensive as they should be for a team that sold out for the last 50 years. True
They sold stock in the team to refurbished the stadium. True


Do you even remember what you said?

You said they don't spend big in FA because they are owned publicly and don't have enough money. That is 110% off base.

They don't spend big because Thompson is a Ron Wolf disciple and believe above all else a team is built through the draft.


concur completely

we, Oakland gonna copycat on the bold


That's not true, Ron Wolf signed a lot of free agents.
You forget he was with the Raiders in the late 80's. they singed every loser out there.
Then with Green Bay he signed.
C Frank Winters, 1992: Signed in Plan B free agency, he played a huge part in quarterback Brett Favre's development.

WR Kitrick Taylor, '92: Also signed in Plan B, he jump-started Favre's career with a game-winning catch.

DE Reggie White, '93: Helped return Green Bay to a place championships could be won.

OG Harry Galbreath, '93: Gave coach Mike Holmgren a shot of athleticism he needed upfront.

S Mike Prior, '93: Core special teams player who did his best to fill in at safety despite lack of speed.

DE Sean Jones, '94: Sack artist who made it tough for teams to double-team White all the time.

DT Santana Dotson, '95: Turned coordinator Fritz Shurmur's defensive line from good to great.

KR/PR Desmond Howard, '96: Broke an NFL punt-return record and won a Super Bowl MVP.

OT Bruce Wilkerson, '96: Critical piece of Super Bowl XXXI team, filling void at left tackle late in the year.

WR Don Beebe, '96: Perfect for a young receiving corps even if his contribution was limited.

P Sean Landeta, '98: Had a superb year at age 36 and should have been re-signed.

Others: OG Tunch Ilkin, WR Mark Clayton, WR Mark Ingram, NT Bill Maas, RB Reggie Cobb, S Pat Terrell, OG Guy McIntyre, LB Fred Strickland, LB Ron Cox, OG Raleigh McKenzie, RB Raymont Harris, DE John Thierry, LB Mike Morton and NT Russell Maryland.


Of course he signed a lot of FAs. The point is they didn't spend big money on them. It was always bargain signings predominately.

And any Raider fan knows Al Davis over saw all signings in Oakland. So that is another meaningless point to make.


At that point in time Reggie White was the highest-paid defense FA ever.

Sean Jones also had a big contract 7 million for three years in 1994.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
big_palooka


Joined: 30 Mar 2006
Posts: 22854
Location: ATL
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitty wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
bitty wrote:
oak42069 wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
bitty wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
bitty wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
bitty wrote:
You guys have to understand that Green Bay is not like a regular team.
They are a public team owned by the city of Green Bay. They just don't have the money to spend on FAs. Their primary responsibility is to keep the game affordable for the people of Green Bay not to sign FAs. That's why they sold stock in the team to make renovations to the stadium.


Ha.... did you just make that up? You obviously have no idea what you are talking about in regard to GB's setup.

Just because they are investor owned doesn't mean they don't have money to spend. That is just WAY WAY off base.


It's always the same with you.
You're just incapable of communicating like a normal person.
Always with the putdowns. I guess it makes you feel better about yourself.


No. You constantly say things completely off base with no knowledge of the situation. Over and over.

It's one thing to maybe ask the question, another to just post something like this as a fact when you clearly don't understand it.


What was off-base?
There are small marketing team. True
They are owned by the people Green Bay. True
They don't spend on FAs. True
Their tickets aren't as expensive as they should be for a team that sold out for the last 50 years. True
They sold stock in the team to refurbished the stadium. True


Do you even remember what you said?

You said they don't spend big in FA because they are owned publicly and don't have enough money. That is 110% off base.

They don't spend big because Thompson is a Ron Wolf disciple and believe above all else a team is built through the draft.


concur completely

we, Oakland gonna copycat on the bold


That's not true, Ron Wolf signed a lot of free agents.
You forget he was with the Raiders in the late 80's. they singed every loser out there.
Then with Green Bay he signed.
C Frank Winters, 1992: Signed in Plan B free agency, he played a huge part in quarterback Brett Favre's development.

WR Kitrick Taylor, '92: Also signed in Plan B, he jump-started Favre's career with a game-winning catch.

DE Reggie White, '93: Helped return Green Bay to a place championships could be won.

OG Harry Galbreath, '93: Gave coach Mike Holmgren a shot of athleticism he needed upfront.

S Mike Prior, '93: Core special teams player who did his best to fill in at safety despite lack of speed.

DE Sean Jones, '94: Sack artist who made it tough for teams to double-team White all the time.

DT Santana Dotson, '95: Turned coordinator Fritz Shurmur's defensive line from good to great.

KR/PR Desmond Howard, '96: Broke an NFL punt-return record and won a Super Bowl MVP.

OT Bruce Wilkerson, '96: Critical piece of Super Bowl XXXI team, filling void at left tackle late in the year.

WR Don Beebe, '96: Perfect for a young receiving corps even if his contribution was limited.

P Sean Landeta, '98: Had a superb year at age 36 and should have been re-signed.

Others: OG Tunch Ilkin, WR Mark Clayton, WR Mark Ingram, NT Bill Maas, RB Reggie Cobb, S Pat Terrell, OG Guy McIntyre, LB Fred Strickland, LB Ron Cox, OG Raleigh McKenzie, RB Raymont Harris, DE John Thierry, LB Mike Morton and NT Russell Maryland.


Of course he signed a lot of FAs. The point is they didn't spend big money on them. It was always bargain signings predominately.

And any Raider fan knows Al Davis over saw all signings in Oakland. So that is another meaningless point to make.


At that point in time Reggie White was the highest-paid defense FA ever.

Sean Jones also had a big contract 7 million for three years in 1994.


Exception, not the rule. Do you not get that concept? You point out 2 players in almost 20 years Laughing Laughing
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ch8878


Joined: 12 Mar 2012
Posts: 2620
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about sign a playmaker at every position ? Razz
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bitty


Joined: 19 Jan 2005
Posts: 3823
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
bitty wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
bitty wrote:
oak42069 wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
bitty wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
bitty wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
bitty wrote:
You guys have to understand that Green Bay is not like a regular team.
They are a public team owned by the city of Green Bay. They just don't have the money to spend on FAs. Their primary responsibility is to keep the game affordable for the people of Green Bay not to sign FAs. That's why they sold stock in the team to make renovations to the stadium.


Ha.... did you just make that up? You obviously have no idea what you are talking about in regard to GB's setup.

Just because they are investor owned doesn't mean they don't have money to spend. That is just WAY WAY off base.


It's always the same with you.
You're just incapable of communicating like a normal person.
Always with the putdowns. I guess it makes you feel better about yourself.


No. You constantly say things completely off base with no knowledge of the situation. Over and over.

It's one thing to maybe ask the question, another to just post something like this as a fact when you clearly don't understand it.


What was off-base?
There are small marketing team. True
They are owned by the people Green Bay. True
They don't spend on FAs. True
Their tickets aren't as expensive as they should be for a team that sold out for the last 50 years. True
They sold stock in the team to refurbished the stadium. True


Do you even remember what you said?

You said they don't spend big in FA because they are owned publicly and don't have enough money. That is 110% off base.

They don't spend big because Thompson is a Ron Wolf disciple and believe above all else a team is built through the draft.


concur completely

we, Oakland gonna copycat on the bold


That's not true, Ron Wolf signed a lot of free agents.
You forget he was with the Raiders in the late 80's. they singed every loser out there.
Then with Green Bay he signed.
C Frank Winters, 1992: Signed in Plan B free agency, he played a huge part in quarterback Brett Favre's development.

WR Kitrick Taylor, '92: Also signed in Plan B, he jump-started Favre's career with a game-winning catch.

DE Reggie White, '93: Helped return Green Bay to a place championships could be won.

OG Harry Galbreath, '93: Gave coach Mike Holmgren a shot of athleticism he needed upfront.

S Mike Prior, '93: Core special teams player who did his best to fill in at safety despite lack of speed.

DE Sean Jones, '94: Sack artist who made it tough for teams to double-team White all the time.

DT Santana Dotson, '95: Turned coordinator Fritz Shurmur's defensive line from good to great.

KR/PR Desmond Howard, '96: Broke an NFL punt-return record and won a Super Bowl MVP.

OT Bruce Wilkerson, '96: Critical piece of Super Bowl XXXI team, filling void at left tackle late in the year.

WR Don Beebe, '96: Perfect for a young receiving corps even if his contribution was limited.

P Sean Landeta, '98: Had a superb year at age 36 and should have been re-signed.

Others: OG Tunch Ilkin, WR Mark Clayton, WR Mark Ingram, NT Bill Maas, RB Reggie Cobb, S Pat Terrell, OG Guy McIntyre, LB Fred Strickland, LB Ron Cox, OG Raleigh McKenzie, RB Raymont Harris, DE John Thierry, LB Mike Morton and NT Russell Maryland.


Of course he signed a lot of FAs. The point is they didn't spend big money on them. It was always bargain signings predominately.

And any Raider fan knows Al Davis over saw all signings in Oakland. So that is another meaningless point to make.


At that point in time Reggie White was the highest-paid defense FA ever.

Sean Jones also had a big contract 7 million for three years in 1994.


Exception, not the rule. Do you not get that concept? You point out 2 players in almost 20 years Laughing Laughing


He was GM for 10 years but that's wasn't the point.
Point was he built the Packers with FAs than replenished that talent through the draft.

Read this it it's from the Packers website about the FAs
http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-1/Packers-took-a-lot-of-swings-got-some-hits/5842136d-ee41-416b-b503-9fa39a4df7e9
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
big_palooka


Joined: 30 Mar 2006
Posts: 22854
Location: ATL
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitty wrote:


He was GM for 10 years but that's wasn't the point.
Point was he built the Packers with FAs than replenished that talent through the draft.

Read this it it's from the Packers website about the FAs
http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-1/Packers-took-a-lot-of-swings-got-some-hits/5842136d-ee41-416b-b503-9fa39a4df7e9


You clearly forgot your own point. You said:

They are a public team owned by the city of Green Bay. They just don't have the money to spend on FAs.

Which is false. Your point is invalid. In fact you just contradicted it.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oak42069


Joined: 08 Apr 2009
Posts: 2114
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitty wrote:
oak42069 wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
bitty wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
bitty wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
bitty wrote:
You guys have to understand that Green Bay is not like a regular team.
They are a public team owned by the city of Green Bay. They just don't have the money to spend on FAs. Their primary responsibility is to keep the game affordable for the people of Green Bay not to sign FAs. That's why they sold stock in the team to make renovations to the stadium.


Ha.... did you just make that up? You obviously have no idea what you are talking about in regard to GB's setup.

Just because they are investor owned doesn't mean they don't have money to spend. That is just WAY WAY off base.


It's always the same with you.
You're just incapable of communicating like a normal person.
Always with the putdowns. I guess it makes you feel better about yourself.


No. You constantly say things completely off base with no knowledge of the situation. Over and over.

It's one thing to maybe ask the question, another to just post something like this as a fact when you clearly don't understand it.


What was off-base?
There are small marketing team. True
They are owned by the people Green Bay. True
They don't spend on FAs. True
Their tickets aren't as expensive as they should be for a team that sold out for the last 50 years. True
They sold stock in the team to refurbished the stadium. True


Do you even remember what you said?

You said they don't spend big in FA because they are owned publicly and don't have enough money. That is 110% off base.

They don't spend big because Thompson is a Ron Wolf disciple and believe above all else a team is built through the draft.


concur completely

we, Oakland gonna copycat on the bold


That's not true, Ron Wolf signed a lot of free agents.
You forget he was with the Raiders in the late 80's. they singed every loser out there.
Then with Green Bay he signed.
C Frank Winters, 1992: Signed in Plan B free agency, he played a huge part in quarterback Brett Favre's development.

WR Kitrick Taylor, '92: Also signed in Plan B, he jump-started Favre's career with a game-winning catch.

DE Reggie White, '93: Helped return Green Bay to a place championships could be won.

OG Harry Galbreath, '93: Gave coach Mike Holmgren a shot of athleticism he needed upfront.

S Mike Prior, '93: Core special teams player who did his best to fill in at safety despite lack of speed.

DE Sean Jones, '94: Sack artist who made it tough for teams to double-team White all the time.

DT Santana Dotson, '95: Turned coordinator Fritz Shurmur's defensive line from good to great.

KR/PR Desmond Howard, '96: Broke an NFL punt-return record and won a Super Bowl MVP.

OT Bruce Wilkerson, '96: Critical piece of Super Bowl XXXI team, filling void at left tackle late in the year.

WR Don Beebe, '96: Perfect for a young receiving corps even if his contribution was limited.

P Sean Landeta, '98: Had a superb year at age 36 and should have been re-signed.

Others: OG Tunch Ilkin, WR Mark Clayton, WR Mark Ingram, NT Bill Maas, RB Reggie Cobb, S Pat Terrell, OG Guy McIntyre, LB Fred Strickland, LB Ron Cox, OG Raleigh McKenzie, RB Raymont Harris, DE John Thierry, LB Mike Morton and NT Russell Maryland.


as BP mentioned of course they made a splash over 2 decades. who doesnt? but it is seldom nonetheless and they do build through drafting. seems sensible.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bitty


Joined: 19 Jan 2005
Posts: 3823
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
bitty wrote:


He was GM for 10 years but that's wasn't the point.
Point was he built the Packers with FAs than replenished that talent through the draft.

Read this it it's from the Packers website about the FAs
http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-1/Packers-took-a-lot-of-swings-got-some-hits/5842136d-ee41-416b-b503-9fa39a4df7e9


You clearly forgot your own point. You said:

They are a public team owned by the city of Green Bay. They just don't have the money to spend on FAs.

Which is false. Your point is invalid. In fact you just contradicted it.


So happy you read the article

In short, the Packers took a number of swings in order to connect on a few hits and home runs during those times free agency provided valuable help to the team. Itís the type of approach the Packers have all but abandoned now Ė they havenít signed more than one notable free agent in any year since 2006, and signed none in 2010 and 2011 Ė for a number of reasons.

For one, itís an expensive way to do business, but it was necessary during the eras new general managers were, in essence, rebuilding the roster.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group