Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Dolphins sign former Bears OG Lance Louis to 1-year deal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skatewood2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViolentMonk71 wrote:
Does this signing mean the Dolphins will wait on G in the draft?

I'm not giving up on the idea of Cooper at 12 or trading down to get Cooper later in the 1st.

If they truly believe that Martin can be the LT then they can pick up a RT in the late 2nd or 3rd round.

NFL - Miami Dolphins
College - THE Ohio State University Buckeyes
WaterBear56

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skatewood2 wrote:
ViolentMonk71 wrote:

I'm not giving up on the idea of Cooper at 12 or trading down to get Cooper later in the 1st.

If they truly believe that Martin can be the LT then they can pick up a RT in the late 2nd or 3rd round.

But they don't believe Martin can be the LT, so we are going LT.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WaterBear56 wrote:
skatewood2 wrote:
ViolentMonk71 wrote:

Unfortunately you cannot believe anything being posted this time of year. I hope that we don't go LT in the first and we give Martin a chance to prove if he is up for the position or not. I would rather protect the middle of the line with the best OG for us in the draft.

NFL - Miami Dolphins
SUG

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skatewood2 wrote:
WaterBear56 wrote:
skatewood2 wrote:
ViolentMonk71 wrote:

Unfortunately you cannot believe anything being posted this time of year. I hope that we don't go LT in the first and we give Martin a chance to prove if he is up for the position or not. I would rather protect the middle of the line with the best OG for us in the draft.

Howdy skate

So let me ask you this ...
Is there doubt in anyone's mind that Fischer or Lane Johnson is a way better prospect than J. Martin.

So having answered that, who would you rather have watching your teams #1 asset ?

And having answered that, are you really loosing any talent by moving J. Martin back to RT or are you gaining an great talent at LT & simply reallocating a "good developing talent" at RT ???

It just kills me that anyone would be OK to simply award the LT position to Martin simply because he deserves an opportunity.

What he deserves is an opportunity to compete once we surround him with elite talent.

I hope we do move up to grab a superb talent at LT that way we have 2 very good
OTs & may the best man win.

sug
dolphinologist

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skatewood2 wrote:
WaterBear56 wrote:
skatewood2 wrote:
ViolentMonk71 wrote:

He still needs some camp competition. I was hoping it would be an experienced vet. I don't know the perception if the Dolphins make a drafted investment at Martin's position. I hope he understands that his play has not given him the right to expect it would be handed to him.

Fellow Posters: I beg that you not misunderstand my level of arrogance. My handle is an implication of Dolphin study not necessarily Dolphin expertise.
cddolphin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SUG wrote:
skatewood2 wrote:
WaterBear56 wrote:
skatewood2 wrote:
ViolentMonk71 wrote:

Howdy skate

Is there doubt in anyone's mind that Fischer or Lane Johnson is a way better prospect than J. Martin.

So having answered that, who would you rather have watching your teams #1 asset ?

And having answered that, are you really loosing any talent by moving J. Martin back to RT or are you gaining an great talent at LT & simply reallocating a "good developing talent" at RT ???

It just kills me that anyone would be OK to simply award the LT position to Martin simply because he deserves an opportunity.

What he deserves is an opportunity to compete once we surround him with elite talent.

sug

Are you me?
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still believe there is a 50/50 chance we sign Winston. Also I think some of us know about Will Yeatman and his development but are we underestimating how much the staff likes him?? The more I read it seems like maybe so
SUG

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cddolphin wrote:
SUG wrote:
skatewood2 wrote:
WaterBear56 wrote:
skatewood2 wrote:
ViolentMonk71 wrote:

Howdy skate

sug

Are you me?

Smile You know .. we sat here in a perpetual "bitchsession for 12 yrs waiting for a QB.
Last yr we reached a bit, grabbed one & saw glimpses of what "might be our guy".

Am I to simply sit here guilt ridden because our 2nd rnd draft pk (who kinda sucked last yr)
"deserves an opportunity" to be awarded the most imp OL position because he's
"working hard this offseason" Laughing Laughing Laughing

I could care less about his feelings & the same goes for 32 other NFL Deffenses.

If he does show marked improvement, & we draft an even better talent the WE WIN REGARDLESS.
At that point all we have to do is acquire 2 more OGs.

To move up & acquire a potential ELITE LT giving up maybe D. Bess & a 2nd rnd pk is
an absolute NO BRAINER folks.

All the 4 very talented pass catchers we acquired in the Offseason don't add up to squat if
Tanney cant take a 3 - 5 or 7 step drop & plant his feet.

This is so simple to understand
sug
Russ57

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to break eveyones bubble but there really isn't an elite LT to move up and get. Lane Johnson is a rather raw prospect who, like Martin, is lacking in strength (IMHO). BTW, I was murdered here last year when I suggested Martin was slow and weak.

Truth be told Dallas Thomas could probably start faster than Johnson. You don't need a line full of elite prospects. Sometimes it is smarter to have a line full of proven solid prospects. Ones who have a good knowledge of what their role is because they have been doing it for a long time.

I would be very happy with Dallas Thomas and Justin Pugh. Neither will be elite tackles. They will probably both be guards. However they are both solid players who have played tackle and could fill do in a pinch. Pugh is one of those gritty types. Thomas plays with an ease and fluidity.

Bottom line. The only elite left tackle we stand a chance of getting is Terron Armstead. Before you laugh I challenge you to find a single play in which he allowed a sack. I can not fathom any way an honest man would say Lane is worth moving up for but Terron isn't worth a second.
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ57 wrote:
I hate to break eveyones bubble but there really isn't an elite LT to move up and get. Lane Johnson is a rather raw prospect who, like Martin, is lacking in strength (IMHO). BTW, I was murdered here last year when I suggested Martin was slow and weak.

Truth be told Dallas Thomas could probably start faster than Johnson. You don't need a line full of elite prospects. Sometimes it is smarter to have a line full of proven solid prospects. Ones who have a good knowledge of what their role is because they have been doing it for a long time.

I would be very happy with Dallas Thomas and Justin Pugh. Neither will be elite tackles. They will probably both be guards. However they are both solid players who have played tackle and could fill do in a pinch. Pugh is one of those gritty types. Thomas plays with an ease and fluidity.

Bottom line. The only elite left tackle we stand a chance of getting is Terron Armstead. Before you laugh I challenge you to find a single play in which he allowed a sack. I can not fathom any way an honest man would say Lane is worth moving up for but Terron isn't worth a second.
lane Johnson needs to improve strength no question and I will agree its not the greatest idea to trade up for him depending what you have to give up. His floor is the lowest of the top 3 but his ceiling is the highest and he has a chance to be a elite LT not sure how you say he cant.

Terron Armstead has a great chance to be elite as well and and fits our scheme every bit as good as lane and Armstead has ability to be moved to G where lane not so much.

Dallas Thomas this is where we disagree I do not like him and his upside is no where near lane's. he is a tweener. I do not like the way he pulls at all playing G

I like pugh a lot as I stated in your mock

I don't care what the national media says or reports I don't see us trading up for the top 3 at all.

A guy to keep a eye on is tackle Brennen Williams from north Carolina.

I also believe they like Will Yeatman a lot more then any of us think they do
bpastermack

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishfan4life wrote:
Russ57 wrote:

lane Johnson needs to improve strength no question and I will agree its not the greatest idea to trade up for him depending what you have to give up. His floor is the lowest of the top 3 but his ceiling is the highest and he has a chance to be a elite LT not sure how you say he cant.

Terron Armstead has a great chance to be elite as well and and fits our scheme every bit as good as lane and Armstead has ability to be moved to G where lane not so much.

Dallas Thomas this is where we disagree I do not like him and his upside is no where near lane's. he is a tweener. I do not like the way he pulls at all playing G

I like pugh a lot as I stated in your mock

I don't care what the national media says or reports I don't see us trading up for the top 3 at all.

A guy to keep a eye on is tackle Brennen Williams from north Carolina.

I also believe they like Will Yeatman a lot more then any of us think they do

I'd rather sit where we are in the first and move up into the bottome of the first to make sure we get Armstead personally too. I think he will be a fantastic lineman. But remember his level of competition was way different. I'm sure Johnson would have done just as well against that competition.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No....you took me the wrong way. Sky is the limit for Lane. Just don't think we could trade up, have him step in on day one, and solve all our LT problems.

I think you are right. Brennen Williams looks like the best guy to be had in the second.

Think we would consider Andre Smith?
skatewood2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SUG wrote:
skatewood2 wrote:
WaterBear56 wrote:
skatewood2 wrote:
ViolentMonk71 wrote:

Howdy skate

sug

SUG & WB,
Please do not get me wrong, I would love to be able to trade up and get one of the top OT's. But I think it would be an expensive climb to go up and get one while we can get the top OG in the draft for us and pick up some other OT's in the draft to push Martin. Now I have heard so much back and forth as to whether Johnson would fit for our system and someone recently said that he needs to increase his strength (somewhat like Martin last season) so if we are going to go up and get an OT then I want it to be Fischer. If not then I want to sit at 12 and take Cooper or trade down and get him in the early 20's.

NFL - Miami Dolphins
Manic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id rather stay pat and select bpa or trade down. We run a zbs dont need all pros at every position. I think we can find suitable OL in the other rounds.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manic wrote:
Id rather stay pat and select bpa or trade down. We run a zbs dont need all pros at every position. I think we can find suitable OL in the other rounds.

This is my view point. I look at a guy like Kyle Long who can be picked in the 2nd round who would fit great. I think this signing is strictly to bring competition into camp from a guy who showed flashes.

Adopt a Dolphin: RB Knowshon Moreno

Rushing: 24- 134yds 5.6 Avg 1TD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: