Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Return of Rex Grossman
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will be our backup?
Rex Grossman
56%
 56%  [ 14 ]
Are You Out of Your Mind?
36%
 36%  [ 9 ]
Anybody but Rex
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 25

tribar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure! Why don't we call up Hanie while we are at it Laughing. And a QB as old as Batch isn't a good backup behind that Oline
Sugashane

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DABEARSLCF04 wrote:
SLCF04"]
Hey lets give Todd Collins a call as well... There is know way any of the old retired QB are better then Rex.

Bring back REX! And hope he just has to look sexy on the side lines and never see the field for more than 1 or 2 starts. But hopfully Cutler can stay healthy so it does not matter who is #2

By that logic we should be pursuing Brady Quinn. A pretty boy who no one wants in, but girls can stare at him on the sideline. lol

Rex's best season he had 7 games of over 100 QBR, but was so terrible he ended with a 73.9. He is literally a less productive passer than Vince Young.

I'm all for Jay staying healthy and never seeing the #2 outside of garbage duty though.

tribar wrote:
Sure! Why don't we call up Hanie while we are at it Laughing. And a QB as old as Batch isn't a good backup behind that Oline

Fine, then Grossman would be an even worse option, as he averaged being healthy for 6 games per year in his six seasons in Chicago.

Here is his career in Chicago
03- Could not compete with Kordell Stewert and Chris Chandler, and ended on IR with a broken finger when he became starter after we were out of playoff contention.
04- He tore his knee up running (untouched)
05- Missed games with a broken ankle the next season
06- Survived a terribly sporadic full season
07- Lost his spot to Griese and only regained it due to an injury (which he again was injured)
08- Filled in for Orton when he went down.

I don't understand where the faith in him comes from. He is a nice guy from everything I have heard and he was unfairly treated to a degree, but being a nice guy doesn't win games or make you a productive player. The guy has more turnovers than TDs, and in his best season has a lower completion percentage than in Cutler's worst year's.

I feel like this is the equivalent of the Arizona Cardinals board talking about bringing back Matt Leinart. lol
DABEARSLCF04

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sugashane wrote:
DABEARSLCF04 wrote:
SLCF04"]
Hey lets give Todd Collins a call as well... There is know way any of the old retired QB are better then Rex.

Bring back REX! And hope he just has to look sexy on the side lines and never see the field for more than 1 or 2 starts. But hopfully Cutler can stay healthy so it does not matter who is #2

By that logic we should be pursuing Brady Quinn. A pretty boy who no one wants in, but girls can stare at him on the sideline. lol

Rex's best season he had 7 games of over 100 QBR, but was so terrible he ended with a 73.9. He is literally a less productive passer than Vince Young.

I'm all for Jay staying healthy and never seeing the #2 outside of garbage duty though.

tribar wrote:

Fine, then Grossman would be an even worse option, as he averaged being healthy for 6 games per year in his six seasons in Chicago.

03- Could not compete with Kordell Stewert and Chris Chandler, and ended on IR with a broken finger when he became starter after we were out of playoff contention.
07- Lost his spot to Griese and only regained it due to an injury (which he again was injured)

I don't understand where the faith in him comes from. He is a nice guy from everything I have heard and he was unfairly treated to a degree, but being a nice guy doesn't win games or make you a productive player. The guy has more turnovers than TDs, and in his best season has a lower completion percentage than in Cutler's worst year's.

I feel like this is the equivalent of the Arizona Cardinals board talking about bringing back Matt Leinart. lol

Its like no one will be happy if they don't get a pro bowl player at every position or back up position. Who is out there that is light years ahead of Rex. And yes the old guy dont count cues they dont bring as much to to table as Rex.

Quinn?.....Naaa

Clemons?..... Naaa

Who is out there?

Adopt a Bear.... Ka'Deem Carey.... HB.... Arizona
Badger75

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Rex Grossman is healthy no problem. It does feed the cliche about Bears QB's, unfair as it is. Wink
ShaggyBear

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we are looking at retired players why not start the farve debacle again lol

Sugashane

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DABEARSLCF04 wrote:
Sugashane wrote:
DABEARSLCF04 wrote:
SLCF04"]

tribar wrote:

Its like no one will be happy if they don't get a pro bowl player at every position or back up position. Who is out there that is light years ahead of Rex. And yes the old guy dont count cues they dont bring as much to to table as Rex.

Quinn?.....Naaa

Clemons?..... Naaa

Who is out there?

I'm not looking for a Pro Bowl player, I'm looking for someone:
1) Isn't terrible
2) Isn't fragile
3) Doesn't help the other team score as much as he does his own.

Rex doesn't bring anything positive to the table for us.... but anyway:

Kevin Kolb is a better QB, though he will warrant a bigger deal than Grossman most likely, so unlikely he would be signed here.

Vince Young IS a better QB than Grossman.

Seneca Wallace could come in and play the game manager role and at least not be counterproductive like Grossman would in half his snaps.

Troy Smith is much more durable, and his mobility could help with Trestman's installation of read-options and evading pressure.

There are 3 options that are younger than Rex and one the same age, since you want youth. All are better overall QBs than Rex, turn the ball over less, and are FAR more durable than the Glass Cannon we know as Rex.

Seriously, other than a poorly placed bit of sentiment, there is no reason to want to bring in Rex. People point at a handful of good games, and ignore the majority of his other games which are destructive to his own team. He is Brett Favre without durability or productivity.
MDbear4ever

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the bears will draft a QB in 2nd or 4th round. whether our current QB can show his potential is another debate but i dont think the current GM will put up with it if cutler doesnt perform well again and they will replace cutler if they needs to, based on his final year contract - As for Rex, i would be open for him to come back as a backup.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why wouldn't Adrian McPherson be an option? Didn't Montreal just release him?
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sugashane wrote:

1) Isn't terrible
2) Isn't fragile

Kevin Kolb is a better QB, though he will warrant a bigger deal than Grossman most likely, so unlikely he would be signed here.

Seneca Wallace could come in and play the game manager role and at least not be counterproductive like Grossman would in half his snaps.

Troy Smith is much more durable, and his mobility could help with Trestman's installation of read-options and evading pressure.

There are 3 options that are younger than Rex and one the same age, since you want youth. All are better overall QBs than Rex, turn the ball over less, and are FAR more durable than the Glass Cannon we know as Rex. The only part of this that is true is the durability statement.

Seriously, other than a poorly placed bit of sentiment, there is no reason to want to bring in Rex. People point at a handful of good games, and ignore the majority of his other games which are destructive to his own team. I have no idea what "people" this might refer to but it isn't to anyone here or in Chicago. Grossman was under unrelenting criticism, much of it unfair. The reality is that he has been employed as a QB in the league for ten years. So everyone believes he can contribute if called upon. He is Brett Favre without durability or productivity. Well they both do have two legs.
Rex is not "terrible", Rex might last 5 games (but we wouldn't really care since we would be in the middle of a disaster if he had to.) Rex does not score as many points for the opposition. So he meets your minimums.

Kolb has started fewer games than Rex and does not appear to me to be much, if any, better than Rex.

Young has been banished to Never Never Land, apparently, he never existed according to the NFL stats pages. This must account for the total lack of interest from any team in his services.

Seneca Wallace would be an interesting choice but he is in Never Never Land, too.

Troy Smith has done nothing so he would be a total shot in the dark.

It will be very interesting to see the decision Emery makes.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MDbear4ever wrote:
I think that the bears will draft a QB in 2nd or 4th round. whether our current QB can show his potential is another debate but i dont think the current GM will put up with it if cutler doesnt perform well again and they will replace cutler if they needs to, based on his final year contract - As for Rex, i would be open for him to come back as a backup.
We don't have the draft picks to spend on a QB. Unless we trade down and pick up 2-3 picks I don't see us drafting a QB, though there is no question we should be grooming one. I would see GB drafting a QB before us.
Mudderfudder77

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G08 wrote:

Technically - but he was about to be a FA and was interested in the opportunity to be a starter elsewhere. He has signed in the Arena League.

Adopt-a-Bear Lamarr Houston

Man-child. QB-killer. Defender of the run. Destroyer of worlds
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mudderfudder77 wrote:
G08 wrote:

Technically - but he was about to be a FA and was interested in the opportunity to be a starter elsewhere. He has signed in the Arena League.
He was Trestman's QB last year, backup?
Sugashane

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChicagoAl wrote:
Sugashane wrote:

1) Isn't terrible
2) Isn't fragile

There are 3 options that are younger than Rex and one the same age, since you want youth. All are better overall QBs than Rex, turn the ball over less, and are FAR more durable than the Glass Cannon we know as Rex. The only part of this that is true is the durability statement.

Seriously, other than a poorly placed bit of sentiment, there is no reason to want to bring in Rex. People point at a handful of good games, and ignore the majority of his other games which are destructive to his own team. I have no idea what "people" this might refer to but it isn't to anyone here or in Chicago. Grossman was under unrelenting criticism, much of it unfair. The reality is that he has been employed as a QB in the league for ten years. So everyone believes he can contribute if called upon. He is Brett Favre without durability or productivity. Well they both do have two legs.
Rex is not "terrible", Rex might last 5 games (but we wouldn't really care since we would be in the middle of a disaster if he had to.) Rex does not score as many points for the opposition. So he meets your minimums.

Kolb has started fewer games than Rex and does not appear to me to be much, if any, better than Rex.

Young has been banished to Never Never Land, apparently, he never existed according to the NFL stats pages. This must account for the total lack of interest from any team in his services.

Seneca Wallace would be an interesting choice but he is in Never Never Land, too.

Troy Smith has done nothing so he would be a total shot in the dark.

It will be very interesting to see the decision Emery makes.

There are more stat databases other than nfl.com. Yahoo has them even, and has all of their numbers.

All of that statement was true. Add up the INTs and lost fumbles and divide by games. That takes away the excuse of more or less games and shows how many times they turn the ball over per game. Rex is the highest, and yes, Rex is the older than 3 out of the four, and was born the same month as Wallace. Rex is less consistent than any of them, though his "best" games are fantastic, his bad games are rock bottom.

I'll respect your opinion, I just don't understand it. Either way as long as we win, I don't care if we are running a Wildcat for our offense. That is something I think we can finally agree on. lol
Selkiesxx

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone just suggested Adrian McPherson. The same guy who got run over by the Saints medical cart. Yeah... while we're at it lets give Omar Jacobs, Andre Woodson or Rohan Davey a call, too.

I wonder if Chris Redman would still like to play.

@BodamEscapePlan (Twitter)
Mudderfudder77

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Selkiesxx wrote:
Someone just suggested Adrian McPherson. The same guy who got run over by the Saints medical cart. Yeah... while we're at it lets give Omar Jacobs, Andre Woodson or Rohan Davey a call, too.

I wonder if Chris Redman would still like to play.

We're all of those guys developmental projects of Marc Trstman?

Adopt-a-Bear Lamarr Houston

Man-child. QB-killer. Defender of the run. Destroyer of worlds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: