Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Return of Rex Grossman
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will be our backup?
Rex Grossman
56%
 56%  [ 14 ]
Are You Out of Your Mind?
36%
 36%  [ 9 ]
Anybody but Rex
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 25

ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sugashane wrote:
Even as a Florida homer I didn't like the idea of drafting Rex, he should at best be the number 3 that is signed after an injury. He is as erratic as he is injury prone.

Why does anyone actually want him? He has literally zero upside
Grossman had some great games in 2006 which was essentially his rookie year. He also had five horrible games but the Bears would not have gotten to the SB without his play.

So far we don't have a better alternative. And we need some one.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMike84 wrote:
No. Just so I don't have to listen to idiots screaming about how Rex "single-handedly lost the Super Bowl" for the Bears.
Idiots are inescapable.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShaggyBear wrote:
I wouldn't mind Rex as a backup if we also had a draft pick. I see Grossman as a beta version of cutler. I think if we had him and cutler went down we would have a less talented version of him to step in. It wouldn't be my first choice, but I wouldn't be upset if he were here
Who is your first choice?
wiscbearsfan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry but whenever I think about Rex Grossman anymore it only reminds me of the time Jerry Angelo traded Terrell Suggs for Grossman and Michael Haynes.
Sugashane

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChicagoAl wrote:
Sugashane wrote:
Even as a Florida homer I didn't like the idea of drafting Rex, he should at best be the number 3 that is signed after an injury. He is as erratic as he is injury prone.

Grossman had some great games in 2006 which was essentially his rookie year. He also had five horrible games but the Bears would not have gotten to the SB without his play.

I have to disagree. No "rookie" gets to be in the NFL for 3 years learning through drills, watching gamefilm with pro coaches and players, and practicing with with their teammates. One season I can accept, 2 is stretching to much for me, but 3 seasons is just too much. He wasn't coming in Rodgers or Romo-style, playing behind a HOF QB or developing due to being a low pick, he was (stupidly) selected in the first round and was the started every season he was in Chicago.

He is just frail and a terrible QB. Charlie Batch is a vet that we could plug into the spot and at least produce some. Leftwich is at least more consistent then Grossman. I see literally no upside with Grossman over Young.

Young has a higher QB rating, completion percentage (that is how bad Rex is, a pocket passer who couldn't out-throw Young, yards/attempt, and is a threat on the ground. His last year in TEN he played great, and overall is a better all around QB than Grossman. Literally the only worry would be off the field, and we have handled that well over the last few years, and I fully expect us to draft a QB this year anyway.

I'd be content with Jeff Garcia, Donovan McNabb, or Marc Bulger coming out of retirement well over Grossman.
IronMike84

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sugashane wrote:
I have to disagree. No "rookie" gets to be in the NFL for 3 years learning through drills, watching gamefilm with pro coaches and players, and practicing with with their teammates. One season I can accept, 2 is stretching to much for me, but 3 seasons is just too much.

Caleb Hanie... Laughing Brick wall
raq11

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fans embarrassingly treated him like garbage...unless we're the only ones offering a contract, why exactly would he return?
bears2308

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colt McCoy would be a much better option if/when Cleveland releases him.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sugashane wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
Sugashane wrote:

I have to disagree. No "rookie" gets to be in the NFL for 3 years learning through drills, watching gamefilm with pro coaches and players, and practicing with with their teammates. One season I can accept, 2 is stretching to much for me, but 3 seasons is just too much. He wasn't coming in Rodgers or Romo-style, playing behind a HOF QB or developing due to being a low pick, he was (stupidly) selected in the first round and was the started every season he was in Chicago. Grossman had started six games prior to 06. He started one game in 05 (the playoff game against Carolina.) This is little different that a rookie.

He is just frail and a terrible QB. Charlie Batch is a vet that we could plug into the spot and at least produce some. Oh, please Rex is better than this guy at his best. Leftwich is at least more consistent then Grossman. I believe Leftwich is on a roster. I see literally no upside with Grossman over Young. Young is a head case from what I hear.

Young has a higher QB rating, completion percentage (that is how bad Rex is, a pocket passer who couldn't out-throw Young, yards/attempt, and is a threat on the ground. His last year in TEN he played great, and overall is a better all around QB than Grossman. Literally the only worry would be off the field, and we have handled that well over the last few years, and I fully expect us to draft a QB this year anyway. We won't unless we trade down and get more picks.

I'd be content with Jeff Garcia, Donovan McNabb, or Marc Bulger coming out of retirement well over Grossman.
These are just funny, none would help us more than Rex. We need much better alternatives than these.
bears2308

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raq11 wrote:
The fans embarrassingly treated him like garbage...unless we're the only ones offering a contract, why exactly would he return?

Yeah. Chicago is his least likely destination. Too much history.
ShaggyBear

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChicagoAl wrote:
ShaggyBear wrote:
I wouldn't mind Rex as a backup if we also had a draft pick. I see Grossman as a beta version of cutler. I think if we had him and cutler went down we would have a less talented version of him to step in. It wouldn't be my first choice, but I wouldn't be upset if he were here

Hasselback Cassel Fitspatrick all signed, the only other name I like better now is Kolb, but he has injury concerns and would cost more as well. I think our best options now are Grossman or maybe even leftwich

DABEARSLCF04

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sugashane wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
Sugashane wrote:

I have to disagree. No "rookie" gets to be in the NFL for 3 years learning through drills, watching gamefilm with pro coaches and players, and practicing with with their teammates. One season I can accept, 2 is stretching to much for me, but 3 seasons is just too much. He wasn't coming in Rodgers or Romo-style, playing behind a HOF QB or developing due to being a low pick, he was (stupidly) selected in the first round and was the started every season he was in Chicago.

He is just frail and a terrible QB. Charlie Batch is a vet that we could plug into the spot and at least produce some. Leftwich is at least more consistent then Grossman. I see literally no upside with Grossman over Young.

Young has a higher QB rating, completion percentage (that is how bad Rex is, a pocket passer who couldn't out-throw Young, yards/attempt, and is a threat on the ground. His last year in TEN he played great, and overall is a better all around QB than Grossman. Literally the only worry would be off the field, and we have handled that well over the last few years, and I fully expect us to draft a QB this year anyway.

Hey lets give Todd Collins a call as well... There is know way any of the old retired QB are better then Rex.

Bring back REX! And hope he just has to look sexy on the side lines and never see the field for more than 1 or 2 starts. But hopfully Cutler can stay healthy so it does not matter who is #2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShaggyBear wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
ShaggyBear wrote:

Hasselback Cassel Fitspatrick all signed, the only other name I like better now is Kolb, but he has injury concerns and would cost more as well. I think our best options now are Grossman or maybe even leftwich

I would take Kolb at least hes semi mobile. Rex is a statue

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ak06max wrote:
ShaggyBear wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
ShaggyBear wrote:

But with our cap situation the way it is would it behoove us to spend the money on him?

ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ak06max wrote:
ShaggyBear wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
ShaggyBear wrote:

Rex was never a speed demon, that is for sure. But I don't think he has to be either.

Grossman started only 31 regular season games for us in six years. And 16 were in 06. That is hard to believe that isn't even two full years. No wonder he never developed, he was hardly on the field.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: