Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Why do they have the wonderlic?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thebestever6

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Why do they have the wonderlic? Reply with quote

How much stock do you put in this test? The average score of the last 7 Superbowl winners is 30. Ryan Leaf scored some point lower than Manning. How does the most intellectual qb I have ever seen PM get a 28. Maybe they should have a new test made by Manning, Brees, Brady, and Rodgers.

Big Palooka wrote:
"They don't have to worry about him making consistent passes. They will win another 2-3 max with him at QB."
broncos67

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The test, IMO is less about intelligence, and like the SAT or ACT, more about how well you do under pressure in a problem solving situation.

Thanks, Tzimisce
thebestever6

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
The test, IMO is less about intelligence, and like the SAT or ACT, more about how well you do under pressure in a problem solving situation.

And Ryan Leaf got a 27 a respectable score yet he did horrible under the pressure of the media. I don't get the test the results of the last seven superbowl winners don't lie. So there is some validity to the test.

Big Palooka wrote:
"They don't have to worry about him making consistent passes. They will win another 2-3 max with him at QB."
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is 2+2= 22
broncosfan07

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsthomp2007 wrote:
What is 2+2= 22
Or double Vince Young's score.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncosfan07 wrote:
jsthomp2007 wrote:
What is 2+2= 22
Or double Vince Young's score.

Mister Vince Young, can write your name at the top of the paper?

Huh? Yeah...hook'em horns. I play football.
Donut

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thebestever6 wrote:
How much stock do you put in this test? The average score of the last 7 Superbowl winners is 30. Ryan Leaf scored some point lower than Manning. How does the most intellectual qb I have ever seen PM get a 28. Maybe they should have a new test made by Manning, Brees, Brady, and Rodgers.

Its an outdated test. I posted a link that 3 GMs/former GMs were working on a new type of test. Demitroff and Elway are the 2 I remember and I think highly of Demitroff which most should based on his work in NE and ATL.

Its not a test of intelligence its simple questions and answering it quickly and accurately. Like the SAT the more often you take the better you do and it becomes less relevant. The smarter you are makes it easier(Fitzpatrick getting a 48 is not surprising given his academic history(Harvard)). Peyton isnt the smartest QB in the league though. He's not stupid but he's not smartest in a general academic sense and wonderlic has nothing to do w/ football. At this point as long as you don't bomb it you're fine. Because they will be more interested in you breaking film down and football sense.
thebestever6 wrote:
broncos67 wrote:

And Ryan Leaf got a 27 a respectable score yet he did horrible under the pressure of the media. I don't get the test the results of the last seven superbowl winners don't lie. So there is some validity to the test.

For most part it shows you aren't an idiot.
For most part highest scores were no name players that were solid at best starters/roleplayers. The lowest most never made it in the NFL(Chris Leak was one I was surprised by. But honestly I'd say him being 5-10 and not that good of a QB was bigger reason than poor test score). Vince Young you could see was an idiot w/ his 14 score(but Marino did around that good) Bishop was another that was a 7th rounder. Jeff George had a 10.
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/sports/wonderlic-scores-of-2010-nfl-starting-quarterbacks/nL5Ky/
Here's an article listing at the time current QBs wonderlics. looking at it a lot of these guys are intelligent people that flame out in NFL for whatever reason. It doesnt really indicate much. Russell I was surprised he did as well as he did because I think he's a moron that burned through a lot of his money. Pennington's game is intelligence on the field and his score doesnt reflect it.

Wonderlic is nice as fans to get a sense of intelligence but it doesnt directly say how football smart they are. It allows us to judge and its lack of info that we can make guesses if they could mentally comprehend at the next level. The interviews and film breakdown are bigger factors im guess by coaching stand point.
Reggie Nelson#1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if any of you remember but Eric Decker scored 43 on the Wonderlic test. Pretty impressive...

I don't think you can tell the success of a player by this test.
On Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:41 pm, AnAngryAmerican wrote:
This team won't win a Super Bowl with Peyton Manning.
bobdevine

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Why do they have the wonderlic? Reply with quote

thebestever6 wrote:

The use of the Wonderlic was because 4 decades ago Tom Landry wanted a test of brains as well as brawn. But the team grabbed a test that was intended for white-collar employment. The Wonderlic has poor prediction for player success. Some research papers even found it was a negative predictor; the players with higher scores did poorer than lower scorers in some positions.

This year a new test was tried. The "Player Assessment Tool" was used alongside the Wonderlic and the new test will likely be compared for a few years before the Wonderlic is dropped.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000139911/article/wonderlic-to-be-supplemented-by-new-aptitude-test

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: