Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Have we "won" or "lost" in free agency?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mercury22

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Have we "won" or "lost" in free agency? Reply with quote

First off, I will point out the obvious flaw in the question....no one wins or loses in March. However, the way the question is usually phrased is Did your team win or lose in free agency. While I think most Dolphins fans on these boards believe we did well, here are what the so called experts see when they look:

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/42847/309/free-agency-losers

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000152913/article/afc-free-agency-winners-and-losers

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2013winnerslosers.php

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2013/03/14/winners-losers-two-days-free-agency-peyton-manning-tom-brady-dolphins-browns-ravens/1987405/

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1568005-early-winners-losers-from-nfl-free-agency/page/11

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7695475/nfl-free-agency-winners-losers

http://www.boston.com/sports/blogs/goingdeep/2013/03/afc_east_winners_and_losers_in.html

http://m.nfl.com/news/0ap1000000152913/

I did a simple search for winners and losers and posted the first 8 that came up.

I am SHOCKED at how many people think the Dolphins "lost". I am hard on Ireland, but I think he did "okay". I like the Wallace and Gibson adds, and while i think he took some shocking risks at LB, at least we got younger and faster. I would never have guessed that the experts would deem the team losers, especially after landing what most people thought was THE top free agent on the market, and with us having as much cap room as we have had. Granted, free agency is not yet over, but the grades thus far from the pundits is poor.

Please feel free to post other winners/loser reports you see.
Mercury22

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found a winner!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1571710-why-the-miami-dolphins-won-free-agency
Fins20??SBChamp

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winning! Smile

Definitely like the addition of Wallace, Gibson and Keller. I really have not seen Ellerbe and Wheeler play that much to formulate an opinion but like you said they are younger and faster.

My main concern now is the O-line. It seems like we have the same issue every year. I hope Ireland has a good plan in mind.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The silver lining is that football is filled with irony and the "expert" opinion being the wrong one is a frequent occurrence. Look forward to that trend continuing this year.

Warpticon wrote:
I think Mike Wallace made a mistake because *throws turd at wall*
Deets

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dolphins lost Smith and Long by choice, they were not taken from us because of our other signings. The internet has made it so any idiot can publish an article with no research whatsoever.

FF Member #67
Mercury22

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProudDolphan47 wrote:
The silver lining is that football is filled with irony and the "expert" opinion being the wrong one is a frequent occurrence. Look forward to that trend continuing this year.

Hope you are right, PD. I tend to agree that the "expert" is often no more than a person who is being paid to do what a lot of us do and that is immerse themselves in football. Their opinions are often not much more valid then one of ours. Lets hope the consensus is off. We need some breaks.
Warpticon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the rotoworld one, and it is chock full of ignorance. They didn't sign those players "at the expense of" Smith or Long. THey were prepared to move on from both of them if necessary. they could have afforded both. So, it's hard to care about the opinion of someone who says the Dolphins "lost" based on erroneous data.
DOLFAN016

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warpticon wrote:
I read the rotoworld one, and it is chock full of ignorance. They didn't sign those players "at the expense of" Smith or Long. THey were prepared to move on from both of them if necessary. they could have afforded both. So, it's hard to care about the opinion of someone who says the Dolphins "lost" based on erroneous data.

Exactly! We could've had both of those players for the right price. But our FO wasn't prepared to break the bank on 2 players that didn't exactly fit the direction we're headed. If they did fit, then they would still be Fins.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are experts and then there are experts when it comes to this ,some who's opinion you trust and respect and some who do not know a damn thing like why teams get rid of this guy or that guy etc etc the ignorance at times from guys who supposedly get paid to know this stuff is comical. Rotoworld says we set ourselves up for cap hell but reality is we are very solid in that area. Teams like the colts over spent big time on a few players and nothing gets said. Its one of those things that no matter what the dolphins are punching bags to some members of the media and maybe some justified some not but it will not change till we win bottom line. There are a few I respect said we did very well.

As for if I think we got better? Yes.. Mike Wallace we spent to much on but at the end of the day he makes us much better alone and after 2014 we can get rid of him with no major cap hit.

Dustin keller is a upgrade and only a one year deal

Brandon Gibson was viewed as a terrible signing by rotoworld but reality is we got him cheap and he is a 51 catch 5 TD guy who will be our 3/4 WR. Bad signing? Maybe one of the best.

The linebackers this is where it gets tricky, We traded 2 good coverage linebackers for 2 below average coverage linebackers. Both Ellerbe and Wheeler are younger faster and apply more pressure but have faults. This remains to be seen if its for the better but I would tend to think so.

A signing like Wheeler is looked at like a terrible signing to some (rotoworld) But they dont take into account it was done to pressure the QB and wheeler was ranked number 2 in PPF for rushing the QB by 43 outside linebackers and burnett was way down the list granted they may have not asked burnett much but we got wheeler to create more turnovers cause he is a excellent blitzer.

Last edited by fishfan4life on Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Maddogg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jared Odrick 2014 Adopt A Player : Games - 11, Tackles 11 Assists 3 Sacks 1 Forced Fumbles 1
Joe Philbin Death Watch - After Week 11 : Death 30 Joe 34
GermanJuergen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: ! Reply with quote

Doesn't matter what these so called experts have to think. I believe the Phins are on the right track with these additions. A lot of people didn't think Russell Wilson or Tom Brady could play QB in the NFL. Those people aren't always right. I hope that these moves push above the Patriots in the division. I only hope there are a few more moves left in FA so the draft can merely add depth. I don't trust our track record in the draft.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we're seeing the backlash of the Eagles' poorly contrived dream team. Now its trendy for experts to bash teams that are active in free agency.

FF Member #67
joeyL.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deets wrote:
I think we're seeing the backlash of the Eagles' poorly contrived dream team. Now its trendy for experts to bash teams that are active in free agency.

This. No way to judge till we see it on the field.

As of now, i thnk we had a very good offseason. any holes that remain could be filled in the draft or by who is left in FA. To me, that is a win. Its not like we are heading into the draft with more question marks than picks which has been synonymous with this team in years past. Might be a little exaggeration but it sure as hell felt like that.

^^^packerbacker87, mad props yo.
"
This is America, the land of individualism, civil
disobedience and footballs that dont roll like the rest of the world wants them to"
green4gulf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deets wrote:

I agree.

I also think that since the experts ( for lack of a better name ) want to keep getting paid, they need to appear to be correct more often than not, and it's not very risky to say a team that hasn't been very good in a long time isn't going to be very good any time soon.
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a good off-season....in fact an excellent off-season...it showed the FO was willing to spend money and make tough decisions to get better or at least build a team specific to the coach and staff....did they win...yes...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: