Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Michael Huff agrees to deal with Ravens 3 yrs/$6m
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anubiz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r_sayle wrote:
I cant believe the value we've gotten out of this. Right now heres my next question. lets fast forward to next year. Compensation picks.
weve lost Reed, Kruger, Ellerbe, Cary Williams if we say we dont sign another free agent what comp picks are we likely to recieve??

Even if we sign another FA, it really doesn't matter, because Huff, Dumervil, Canty, and Spears don't effect the compensatory pick equation due to them all being players that were cut and not intended to be UFA entering this offseason.

I think we should at the minimum get a 3rd (maybe 2 3rds) and 4th (maybe 2 4ths +

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I highly doubt we get a 3rd round comp pick, let alone two third rounders. Those are reserved for really good players that signed huge deals, aka Mario Williams with Buffalo. I don't see Kruger or Ellerbe getting us that.
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anubiz wrote:
r_sayle wrote:
I cant believe the value we've gotten out of this. Right now heres my next question. lets fast forward to next year. Compensation picks.
weve lost Reed, Kruger, Ellerbe, Cary Williams if we say we dont sign another free agent what comp picks are we likely to recieve??

Even if we sign another FA, it really doesn't matter, because Huff, Dumervil, Canty, and Spears don't effect the compensatory pick equation due to them all being players that were cut and not intended to be UFA entering this offseason.

I think we should at the minimum get a 3rd (maybe 2 3rds) and 4th (maybe 2 4ths +

I don't think there's much of a chance we get 2 3rd's. At most, it would be one 3rd rounder, for Kruger, and even that is a little unlikely. But if Grubbs' contract at 5 years, $36 million last year got us a 4th, Ellerbe's will probably the be same.

The only teams got 3rd round picks this year were Tennessee, Houston, and Kansas City, and the guys they lost all got over $10 million annually, with Cortland Finnegan and Brandon Carr at 5 years, $50 million and Mario Williams at 6 years, $100 million. So even Kruger's $40 million over 5 years will probably end up a 4th rounder.
"The really important kind of freedom involves attention, and awareness, and discipline, and effort, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them, over and over, in myriad petty little unsexy ways, every day.
Anubiz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You all make points.

But I don't think getting 1 3rd rounder is out of the realm of possibility.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r_sayle wrote:

I agree with ihoxhaj23 FTMP, it's probably unlikely that we get a 3rd round pick.

I personally would project this:
Kruger = first 4th comp
Ellerbe = third 4th comp
Reed = late 5th comp
Williams = mid 5th comp

Though if McKinnie somehow signs elsewhere for a nice contract amount, it could potentially bump up one of our 5th round comps to another 4th rounder because the total loss would exceed 4 players and could add additional weight to us in the formula.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
r_sayle wrote:

I agree with ihoxhaj23 FTMP, it's probably unlikely that we get a 3rd round pick.

I personally would project this:
Kruger = first 4th comp
Ellerbe = third 4th comp
Reed = late 5th comp
Williams = mid 5th comp

Though if McKinnie somehow signs elsewhere for a nice contract amount, it could potentially bump up one of our 5th round comps to another 4th rounder because the total loss would exceed 4 players and could add additional weight to us in the formula.

Yeah, I was just a bit overzealous when I made that post. Ahah.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anubiz wrote:
You all make points.

But I don't think getting 1 3rd rounder is out of the realm of possibility.

It's not out of the realm of possibility but essentially we're only having 4 guys impact the formula ATM. McKinnie could potentially impact it, but he's an aged veteran and veterans don't usually impact the formula much... so best case scenario he probably bumps a 5th to a low 4th... but beyond that all we've got is NT Kemo and he's not going to get anything more than the minimum... if a team even signs him at all.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
I think we're done with FA. We've got McClain, McClellan, Bynes, and Ayanbadejo all under contract at ILB and probably want to add one through the draft. I don't see any wide receivers out there that really look all that enticing and it's not really worth it to stick Flacco with another 1-year-rental type WR in the Housh/Evans mold when it would be more beneficial and cost-effective to get younger at WR through the draft or at worst, with our current crop, and give Flacco a passing game that he can think long-term about building chemistry with. It doesn't seem like there's much of a market for McKinnie so if he's willing to take close to the veteran's minimum to come back, I could see that as a possibility. But other than that, with 12 picks to work with, I think Ozzie's ready to start focusing on the draft to fill out the rest of the roster.

I agree with this point as well.

I think the team is going to be comfortable enough with what we have at ILB to role with it heading into the draft. We've got a starter in Jameel McClain. A guy in McClellan who has started a few games last season, and a guy in Bynes who started a few games last year... and most looked average or above in their play in games. We also still have Ayan. So I agree that a drafted ILB is all we really need. The rest of our money, I'd prefer to simply hold onto for the moment, see if we experience a bad injury in camp where we might need the extra money for... or if we remain healthy we can just roll the cap over to help us with next season.

Location: Canada, but don't worry... i'm not one of those damn dirty french.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look for Huff to really break out for you guys. Dark horse DPOY? Maybe not, but I bet he makes the pro bowl.

First jersey purchased: Jamarcus Russell.
Second jersey purchased: Rolando McClain.
Next purchases: Every Chiefs, Chargers and Broncos player.
JTagg7754 on the Sio sig.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still disagree with everyone here about our current ILB depth. I just can't see us going into the season with McClain/Bynes/Ayanbadejo/McClellan at ILB, there's just not enough talent there.

I just cannot bring myself to believe that the Ravens won't spend either a 1st or 2nd round pick on an ILB. McClain is the ONLY one who's shown consistent "average" play, the rest have been very shaky at best and McClellan showed promise for one game.

SteelKing728 wrote:
I got Andrew Luck winning MVP this year

Official stalker victim of Harper41.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
I still disagree with everyone here about our current ILB depth. I just can't see us going into the season with McClain/Bynes/Ayanbadejo/McClellan at ILB, there's just not enough talent there.

I just cannot bring myself to believe that the Ravens won't spend either a 1st or 2nd round pick on an ILB. McClain is the ONLY one who's shown consistent "average" play, the rest have been very shaky at best and McClellan showed promise for one game.

I agree that the Ravens still need to bring in a quality ILB (likely though the draft). Just one would be enough though. Letting those other three guys compete for a spot and filling out the depth would be fine with me. Rookie/McClain/McClellan/Bynes/Ayanabdejo seems like a solid group. If Ayanbadejo gets cut they could bring in two more but I doubt that happens.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

I agree that the Ravens still need to bring in a quality ILB (likely though the draft). Just one would be enough though. Letting those other three guys compete for a spot and filling out the depth would be fine with me. Rookie/McClain/McClellan/Bynes/Ayanabdejo seems like a solid group. If Ayanbadejo gets cut they could bring in two more but I doubt that happens.

I can agree going into the season with a rookie and *best preseason/TC ILB here* starting, but going into the season with any two of the aforementioned ILB's is not something you can do with a 3-4 defense, or any defense, IMO. There's just not enough talent/experience there.

SteelKing728 wrote:
I got Andrew Luck winning MVP this year

Official stalker victim of Harper41.
Baltimore Pride

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

Really I don't see it either, especially with McClain coming off his injury. We'll likely draft some one at some point I would assume.

For the most part I think we're at-least done in FA until after the draft, Ozzie almost always picks up players after the draft either via FA or low cost trade. Players such as TJ Housh, Lee Evans, Josh Wilson, Pollard, McKinnie, Willie Anderson, Gurode and Lorenzo Neal were all brought in well into the summer (August-September). The low cost potentially high-reward types.

It often appears that Ozzie addresses what he can before the draft without overpaying, that way it gives him more leeway during the draft. Then depending on the holes we have afterwards he looks for starting quality players with whatever is remaining that wont break the bank.

Regardless it will be interesting to see how we draft this year.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go_Ravens2 wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:
Well two posts of the same thing.

So anyways, this is great news... though I pretty much expected this all along. Never thought we wouldn't sign him.

Though I guess this signing probably does come as a surprise to certain fans of opposing teams... them and those media hounds who were saying we would likely have to forfeit the season because we couldn't field enough starters to play a game....

I blame Joe's contract for this signing and the Dumervil signing...

Laughing

rayvens4sb wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:
If the Ravens are going to spend any more money in free agency I would want it to be on a LT. I don't think there's anybody that good left at the position in free agency but I'm not a fan of any of the LT prospects that should be available when they're picking. But like I've said before I wouldn't be surprised to see them move Oher back to LT and start Reid at RT either. Especially if they can't get a quality LT in the draft or free agency.

Don't shoot me...but Gaither?

If McKinnie was resigned and Gaither was brought back, I think between the two of them we might get an entire season of quality play at left tackle.

In all seriousness, I don't see it happening.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

look for us to take a long look at Rolando McClain (Oakland) not if but when he is released/cut....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: