Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Michael Huff agrees to deal with Ravens 3 yrs/$6m
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anubiz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Michael Huff agrees to deal with Ravens 3 yrs/$6m Reply with quote

Quote:
Baltimore Ravens ‏@Ravens 44s

#Ravens have a 3-year agreement in principle with safety Michael Huff.

YES!

Update:
Quote:
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 1m
Ravens' new deal with former Raiders S Michael Huff will be for three years, $6 million.
DB

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My post has so many more views Not talking

GO RAVENS!!
Anubiz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously love this signing.

Huff has always been at his best when he was able to play that "center fielder/roaming" FS.

He'll get to do exactly that here in Baltimore.

#TrustInOzzie

#NextPieceOfThePuzzle

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But really, great signing. Aside from us loving this signing on FF, its getting a lot of love on twitter. As always Trust in Ozzie. He never lets us down.

GO RAVENS!!
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well two posts of the same thing.

So anyways, this is great news... though I pretty much expected this all along. Never thought we wouldn't sign him.

Though I guess this signing probably does come as a surprise to certain fans of opposing teams... them and those media hounds who were saying we would likely have to forfeit the season because we couldn't field enough starters to play a game....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go_Ravens2 wrote:
My post has so many more views Not talking

Well tbf, when I looked at the two, I saw 12 to 15... yours just skyrocketed at the wrong time. Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
Well two posts of the same thing.

So anyways, this is great news... though I pretty much expected this all along. Never thought we wouldn't sign him.

Though I guess this signing probably does come as a surprise to certain fans of opposing teams... them and those media hounds who were saying we would likely have to forfeit the season because we couldn't field enough starters to play a game....

I blame Joe's contract for this signing and the Dumervil signing...

GO RAVENS!!
Go_Ravens2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question for you draftniks out there. With Huff signed, which Safeties in the draft do you think compliment him the best? So not who are the best safeties in general, but who would fit best to start opposite Huff?

GO RAVENS!!
Go_Ravens2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 1m
Ravens' new deal with former Raiders S Michael Huff will be for three years, $6 million.

Great price too IMO

GO RAVENS!!
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not terribly impressed with Huff, but depending on the money I think it's a solid signing. Reminds me of the Redding signing from a couple of years back in the sense that the talent is there but he has been inconsistent in his career, but coming to a stabile and strong organization can help bring out the best of him. We get these mid-level FA's to play well for us almost every year, won't surprise me if Huff does the same.

EDIT: Seeing that it's 3 years, $6 million. That's great value.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Gordon McGuinness ‏@PFF_Gordon 7m
In the past three seasons Huff has missed 18 tackles. Ed Reed missed 16 in the 2012 regular season alone.

GO RAVENS!!
Anubiz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow.

3 years at 6 million.

2 mil/yr.

Another steal by Ozzie.

Great value.

Now that we have our FS, some SS prospects that I absolutely would love to pair him with:

Jonathan Cyprien
DJ Swearinger
TJ McDonald

and although he is more of a FS, I think he could still excel as a SS:

Bacarri Rambo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liked it before. LOVE it now

profootball focus
Quote:
Huff’s Versatility

We see many safeties double as slot corners in sub packages but it’s very rare that a safety can make the move to a traditional cornerback role and have success. That’s exactly what Huff did in Week 3 when injuries forced the move to left cornerback. The Pittsburgh Steelers attacked him often (completing eight of the 11 balls thrown his way), but they were mostly of the short variety and Huff’s -3.1 grade in that game stemmed mostly from his three missed tackles.

After the tough first game, Huff continued to show improvement and seemed to make the position switch official when he picked up three passes defensed and an interception (and a +2.3 coverage grade) against the Atlanta Falcons’ wide receiver duo of Roddy White and Julio Jones in Week 6. Huff finished the season at cornerback and graded at +2.1 at his new home. It was an impressive performance as he performed admirably at a position where most safeties would be exploited.

When you add it all up, opponents completed only 53 percent of passes into Huff’s coverage and he finished with nine passes defensed and two interceptions. All of this came two years removed from Huff grading at +17.2 as our No. 2 safety in the league, and one year removed from his strong play when filling in as the team’s slot cornerback. He’s essentially succeeded in three different positions over a three-year period.

Any team looking to sign Huff will likely put him back at his more natural spot at safety, but his experience playing in the slot and on the outside will prove invaluable. In a league that covets versatility, Oakland’s releasing Huff may have vaulted him to the top of the free agent safety rankings.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/03/13/on-the-market-huff-and-heyward-bey/

Quote:

@PFF_Gordon: In the past three seasons Huff has missed 18 tackles. Ed Reed missed 16 in the 2012 regular season alone.”
Go_Ravens2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly if we pick up an ILB and draft an ILB and SS in the early rounds, I would fail to see any areas of weakness on our defense. As it stands the front 7 is stacked minus ILBs, but if we get say Dansby and Arthur Brown or Kevin Minter or something, then the whole front 7 is stacked. Add in a secondary of Webb, Graham, Jimmy, Huff, and Cyprien, McDonald, or Shamarko Thomas and I think this defense is pretty darn good.

GO RAVENS!!
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go_Ravens2 wrote:
Question for you draftniks out there. With Huff signed, which Safeties in the draft do you think compliment him the best? So not who are the best safeties in general, but who would fit best to start opposite Huff?

Personally I think TJ McDonald and Jonathan Cyprien look like the best fits. Matt Elam, Shamarko Thomas, and Kenny Vaccaro all tend to do a lot of roaming and as mentioned, Huff tends to be at his best in that particular role.

McDonald and Cyprien are both guys that have the tackling prowess, instincts, and consistency to really stabilize the back end of a defense. They both rarely take those huge gambles in coverage that will hurt their teammates. They play well within the frame of a scheme and aren't really the splash play glory types... though both players can still make plays.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: