You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Michael Huff agrees to deal with Ravens 3 yrs/$6m
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Go_Ravens2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
Go_Ravens2 wrote:
Question for you draftniks out there. With Huff signed, which Safeties in the draft do you think compliment him the best? So not who are the best safeties in general, but who would fit best to start opposite Huff?

Personally I think TJ McDonald and Jonathan Cyprien look like the best fits. Matt Elam, Shamarko Thomas, and Kenny Vaccaro all tend to do a lot of roaming and as mentioned, Huff tends to be at his best in that particular role.

McDonald and Cyprien are both guys that have the tackling prowess, instincts, and consistency to really stabilize the back end of a defense. They both rarely take those huge gambles in coverage that will hurt their teammates. They play well within the frame of a scheme and aren't really the splash play glory types... though both players can still make plays.

Sign McKinnie and Dansby

Draft:
1. DeAndre Hopkins
2. Cyprien/Khaseem Greene
3. Reddick/TJ McDonald

Superbowl?

GO RAVENS!!
coordinator0

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn I didn't think Huff would get a bigger deal but $6 million over 3 years? That's awesome value even if Huff turns out to be nothing more than average. Go Ozzie go!
wwhickok

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solid Signing, Congrats.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anubiz wrote:
Wow.

3 years at 6 million.

2 mil/yr.

Another steal by Ozzie.

Great value.

Now that we have our FS, some SS prospects that I absolutely would love to pair him with:

Jonathan Cyprien
DJ Swearinger
TJ McDonald

and although he is more of a FS, I think he could still excel as a SS:

Bacarri Rambo

Rambo is also another good name that I failed to mention. He has excellent instincts. He's a FS, but I think he'd do very well playing in a similar role to what we had Reed playing while we use Huff in the Bernard Pollard roaming safety role... though he would likely play more of the intermediate field as a roamer as opposed to in the box as much as Pollard.

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And just like with the Kruger/Dumervil sitution, going from Reed to Huff allows us to keep the compensatory pick since Huff was released by the Raiders.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
And just like with the Kruger/Dumervil sitution, going from Reed to Huff allows us to keep the compensatory pick since Huff was released by the Raiders.

It's also worth noting that Huff's deal is worth 9M less than Reed over the same amount of time.

GO RAVENS!!
coordinator0

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:

Yep, all four of the free agents Baltimore has signed were released by their former teams.

I'm not sure who I would want next to Huff now. He's not a particularly physical player but with his ability to play man-to-man coverage I wouldn't be surprised to see the Ravens use him as a "SS" (or at least the S who plays closer to the LOS) and bring in a FS that's more along the lines of a center fielder. It definitely allows the Ravens to go after the BPA at safety in the draft though. If that's where they want to get the other safety at least, they should still have somewhere around $4 million left in cap space depending on the structuring of Huff's deal.

Last edited by coordinator0 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
Damn I didn't think Huff would get a bigger deal but $6 million over 3 years? That's awesome value even if Huff turns out to be nothing more than average. Go Ozzie go!

Agreed that's tremendous value for a veteran safety who has proven to be a baller and a very versatile one at that.

I expected us to sign him, but I thought it would take something in the ballpark of $3-3.5m to get a deal done... Ozzie must be drugging these dudes and forcing them to sign while inebriated... that's the only logical scenario I can come up with.

Assuming we're paying him a cap hit of $2m this season, that's really only going to count as $1.52m against our cap under the rule of 51. And it also means that we got him for far cheaper than it would've cost us to retain Pollard... and he has less holes in his game.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I.

Love.

This.

Signing.

THANK YOU OZZIE! This is awesome. We basically get an poor man's Ed Reed that can tackle, is faster, and better in man coverage and for less money. Boom! Love it, now we just need a SS in the draft and some ILB's and we're set.
Anubiz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
BaltimoreTerp wrote:

Yep, all four of the free agents Baltimore has signed were released by their former teams.

I'm not sure who I would want next to Huff now. He's not a particularly physical player but with his ability to play man-to-man coverage I wouldn't be surprised to see the Ravens use him as a "SS" (or at least the S who plays closer to the LOS) and bring in a FS that's more along the lines of a center fielder. It definitely allows the Ravens to go after the BPA at safety in the draft though. If that's where they want to get the other safety at least, they should still have somewhere around $4 million left in cap space depending on the structuring of Huff's deal.

I know this is such a simplistic way to put it but depending on who they draft to play next to Huff they can also employ for of a Left-Safety/Right-Safety designation to where both safeties fully employ responsibilities of both the traditional FS/SS molds, but they are disguised depending on the coverage we are playing and the defensive formation we are in.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

THANK YOU OZZIE! This is awesome. We basically get an poor man's Ed Reed that can tackle, is faster, and better in man coverage and for less money. Boom! Love it, now we just need a SS in the draft and some ILB's and we're set.

On defense, yes, but we still need to do a little work on offense too. We need another WR and LT IMO before I'm ready to say we're set. I would hate to go back to Oher at LT, but I think that's going to happen.

GO RAVENS!!
mddeckie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

love the signing, I think this shifts focus on resigning mckinnie. Im not to high on Dansby and I cant see the ravens signing another FA other than Mckinnie. As for the draft I believe the Ravens will take a ILB and may move up to get the one they want. Should be an interesting draft to say the least
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing was, when he played safety for Oakland he didn't play man coverage, Tyvon Branch did most of the man coverage for Oakland and Huff played centerfield.

I love this guy's versatility, his speed, his ball skills, and most importantly, HE CAN ACTUALLY TACKLE!

Either way, I'm really excited about the pair of safeties we are about to employ, whether it's Huff/Rambo or Huff/Elam or Huff/Cyprien, it's all good, and with Webby coming back, our secondary looks to be staying as a strength for us along with the pass rush.

I'm still not a fan of signing Karlos Dansby, but if that's what happens then that's what happens. I still think we need to target a FA WR or draft a WR, though.
alfalcone

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go_Ravens2 wrote:
Question for you draftniks out there. With Huff signed, which Safeties in the draft do you think compliment him the best? So not who are the best safeties in general, but who would fit best to start opposite Huff?

I'm under the impression safeties like Huff who excel in coverage will become more valuable in the future, and that the strong safety will become a dying position. This is a big reason in my opinion that we cut Pollard. In the early rounds Kenny Vaccaro is the best ft, but it's unlikely the he will be available. I like Cooper Taylor as a sleeper, and possibly Tony Jefferson in the mid rounds.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go_Ravens2 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

On defense, yes, but we still need to do a little work on offense too. We need another WR and LT IMO before I'm ready to say we're set. I would hate to go back to Oher at LT, but I think that's going to happen.

Well yeah I was speaking in terms of defense. The last thing I want on offense is Oher back at LT. I REALLY hope those days are over.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: