Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Start of Free Agency 2.0
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oakdb36

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrapTakula wrote:
BlackPrestige92 wrote:
^^ That's your interpretation brother. Some of us see a player who is still quite useful to have on a defense. Charles Woodson is still smart and capable. Sure, some of us do love CWood from back in the day but in no way do I think any of us want him here for celebrity reasons solely.

He's still valuable and he's perfect to have talking to DJ Hayden.

i love the idea of getting C-Wood back in silver and black. However, I've seen a lot of people talk about what a great mentor he'd be and from my memory, when he was in Oakland he was supposedly one of the "lazier" players in terms of studying film, practicing technique, etc. and he relied mostly on his tremendous physical gifts. Did this change in GB or am I way off on this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX4mp2iRdiI
BlackPrestige92

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dessie wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
CrapTakula wrote:
BlackPrestige92 wrote:
^^ That's your interpretation brother. Some of us see a player who is still quite useful to have on a defense. Charles Woodson is still smart and capable. Sure, some of us do love CWood from back in the day but in no way do I think any of us want him here for celebrity reasons solely.

i love the idea of getting C-Wood back in silver and black. However, I've seen a lot of people talk about what a great mentor he'd be and from my memory, when he was in Oakland he was supposedly one of the "lazier" players in terms of studying film, practicing technique, etc. and he relied mostly on his tremendous physical gifts. Did this change in GB or am I way off on this?

It changed, but who cares. The whole 'mentor' thing is overblown. End of the day, these vets want to play and feel they should be. That's their priority. Look at Jerry Rice. The moment his role was reduced in Oakland, he starting whining. He wasn't 'mentoring' anyone nor did he want to.

That's Rice for you, there is numerous stories of vets being mentors, it also doesn't mean CWood isn't open to a mentoring role or that Reggie has seen his work ethic, film study etc and thinks that would be good for the younger players to learn off.

I'll trust Reggie on this one he seen him up close during his time at the Packers.

Just him being here so DJ can see what a legend does on the weekly bases would be beneficial for the young gun. I'm not hooping CWood comes here & grabs the guy by the neck like "come here you little rascal!"

Jerry Rice wasn't a mentor but TO saw what the legend did to prepare and that TO guy was a HELL of a football player. He credits watching and learning from Rice a lot.

CWood used to rely on God given gifts but like Rice probably showed TO, that's not gonna make you top
Hard working talent does. Not just hardworking talent, but talent that works and prepares the CORRECT way.

That's just to go along with him being the best DB Oakland would have should he choose to return.

If Phil Jackson came back, still no coaching me, Im uncoachable, Im unsociable.
-Kendrick Lamar
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dessie wrote:
ZoomWaffle wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:
CrapTakula wrote:
BlackPrestige92 wrote:

It changed a lot in GB. The celebrity purposes line of thought is completely off base.

+1

I think for some people it may be all about conjuring up happy memories of seasons past, but not for everyone. Yes, the idea of seeing WOODSON on the back of a Raiders jersey again sparks my interest because he was one of my favorite Raiders, but also because he happens to be better than any safety we have on the roster. I am not blinded by his celebrity, I know he is not the superstar he once was. he is like 36 or 37 and has declining physical attributes, but he is still instinctive, smart, and has coverage ability and ball skills that we lack in our defensive backfield. For me, I want better players on our roster. Woodson fits the bill. The fact that I have always wanted him back in S&B is just icing on the cake.

Totally agree. The whole celebrity thing is garbage.

The bolded suggests that the celebrity "thing" is NOT garbage. Obviously. You can't call something completely baseless and then concede partial truth.

I'm not all up in arms about resigning Woodson quite the contrary. I could care less (assuming his contract is appropriate) as I believe his contributions will be marginal. This belief is my opinion based on my personal observations of aged players over the years and historical data. However, it is still just opinion and ultimately you could be found validated if Woodson were to experience some miraculous resurgence this late in his career. My opinion doesn't make me a "know it all" in fact I come here mainly because I find that defending my positions is educational.

Again it has been my experience that it is extremely rare that a 37 yr old player experiences a resurgence at this point in his career playing for a bad team. But MAYBE THIS is the ONE happenstance that it does as this is what we tend to cling to.
Tamby

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd give him $4-5 million for one year and pencil him in at FS. It sounds like he's more interested in getting paid so this is our chance to get a guy that should be playing for a contender. Nothing wrong with shelling out some money in the short term, not like this move would hurt us in the coming years.

Bringing back C-Wood would at least generate some excitement for an organization that has been down in the dumps. Could also help ticket sales.
ZoomWaffle

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggabonez wrote:
Again it has been my experience that it is extremely rare that a 37 yr old player experiences a resurgence at this point in his career playing for a bad team..

Maybe, but we have gotten a resurgence from every 37 year old FA safety named Woodson so far Wink

Silver&Black88 on the sig

La_Vader wrote:
I wouldn't trade Pryor for any prospect in this years draft. Quote me on that
Nightmare

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoomWaffle wrote:
Baggabonez wrote:
Again it has been my experience that it is extremely rare that a 37 yr old player experiences a resurgence at this point in his career playing for a bad team..

Maybe, but we have gotten a resurgence from every 37 year old FA safety named Woodson so far Wink

Wasn't a bad team back then, though. Was a very good one.
ZoomWaffle

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nightmare wrote:
ZoomWaffle wrote:
Baggabonez wrote:

I know, I was making a joke about the coencidence of signing two 37 year old former great CB-turned safeties named Woodson.

La_Vader wrote:
Nightmare

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoomWaffle wrote:
Nightmare wrote:
ZoomWaffle wrote:
Baggabonez wrote:

I know, I was making a joke about the coencidence of signing two 37 year old former great CB-turned safeties named Woodson.

I figured. I'm just miserable and pedantic, leave me alone.

Really hope we do sign Woodson. Would create a feelgood factor for a while. Which will be shattered as soon as the team actually takes the field... but still, at least we'll have had a moderately exciting offseason.
ZoomWaffle

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nightmare wrote:
ZoomWaffle wrote:
Nightmare wrote:
ZoomWaffle wrote:
Baggabonez wrote:

I figured. I'm just miserable and pedantic, leave me alone.

Really hope we do sign Woodson. Would create a feelgood factor for a while. Which will be shattered as soon as the team actually takes the field... but still, at least we'll have had a moderately exciting offseason.

Honestly, as long as the price is reasonable then I see no downside. An over the hill Woodson is still better than Young, plus like you said the "feel good" factor will give a lot of fans something to be happy about.

La_Vader wrote:
Big Rob

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if we can sign Woodson, our entire back 7 would be improved from 2012 imo

Moore Roach Burnett
Hayden Woodson Branch Jenkins

Burris McClain Wheeler
Bartell Giordano Branch Huff

maybe not Wheeler, but he was solid and far from great...

if Tarver can generate a pass rush through scheme(we dont have 1 good pass rusher) this defense can be pretty good...i think our DL will be better at stopping the run than years past...

2013 will be a year DA/Tarver prove their worth, if we have an average defense, i will be excited about our future on defense...
oak42069

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Rob wrote:

Moore Roach Burnett

Burris McClain Wheeler

if Tarver can generate a pass rush through scheme(we dont have 1 good pass rusher) this defense can be pretty good...i think our DL will be better at stopping the run than years past...

2013 will be a year DA/Tarver prove their worth, if we have an average defense, i will be excited about our future on defense...

Porter when healthy isnt better then Jenks?
Big Rob

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oak42069 wrote:
Big Rob wrote:

Moore Roach Burnett

Burris McClain Wheeler

Porter when healthy isnt better then Jenks?

id prefer Porter in the slot, and i feel Jenkins has more upside with his hws to handle WRs outside the hash...may the best man win though, either would have started last year for us...
CaliforniaKid7

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
@Jerrymcd: Woodson re-emerges from facility, accompanied by Willie Brown, to greet fans at secruity gate. Smiles broadly, holds up jersey.

big thanks to OakleyCap on the sig
RaidersAreOne

Location: Canada, but don't worry... i'm not one of those damn dirty french.
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaliforniaKid7 wrote:
Quote:
@Jerrymcd: Woodson re-emerges from facility, accompanied by Willie Brown, to greet fans at secruity gate. Smiles broadly, holds up jersey.

This makes me believe he is now a Raider.

First jersey purchased: Jamarcus Russell.
Second jersey purchased: Rolando McClain.
Next purchases: Every Chiefs, Chargers and Broncos player.
JTagg7754 on the sig.
RaisinBran

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamby wrote:
I'd give him $4-5 million for one year and pencil him in at FS. It sounds like he's more interested in getting paid so this is our chance to get a guy that should be playing for a contender. Nothing wrong with shelling out some money in the short term, not like this move would hurt us in the coming years.

Bringing back C-Wood would at least generate some excitement for an organization that has been down in the dumps. Could also help ticket sales.

Your wish has been granted.

(NFL)=Raiders, (MLB)=A's, (NBA)= Warriors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 48 of 100

Jump to: