Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Start of Free Agency 2.0
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
oakdb36


Joined: 02 Mar 2006
Posts: 14114
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrapTakula wrote:
BlackPrestige92 wrote:
^^ That's your interpretation brother. Some of us see a player who is still quite useful to have on a defense. Charles Woodson is still smart and capable. Sure, some of us do love CWood from back in the day but in no way do I think any of us want him here for celebrity reasons solely.

He's still valuable and he's perfect to have talking to DJ Hayden.


i love the idea of getting C-Wood back in silver and black. However, I've seen a lot of people talk about what a great mentor he'd be and from my memory, when he was in Oakland he was supposedly one of the "lazier" players in terms of studying film, practicing technique, etc. and he relied mostly on his tremendous physical gifts. Did this change in GB or am I way off on this?


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX4mp2iRdiI
_________________
Plush wrote:
Papa was a trolling stone
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BlackPrestige92


Joined: 08 Nov 2011
Posts: 6001
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dessie wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
CrapTakula wrote:
BlackPrestige92 wrote:
^^ That's your interpretation brother. Some of us see a player who is still quite useful to have on a defense. Charles Woodson is still smart and capable. Sure, some of us do love CWood from back in the day but in no way do I think any of us want him here for celebrity reasons solely.

He's still valuable and he's perfect to have talking to DJ Hayden.


i love the idea of getting C-Wood back in silver and black. However, I've seen a lot of people talk about what a great mentor he'd be and from my memory, when he was in Oakland he was supposedly one of the "lazier" players in terms of studying film, practicing technique, etc. and he relied mostly on his tremendous physical gifts. Did this change in GB or am I way off on this?


It changed, but who cares. The whole 'mentor' thing is overblown. End of the day, these vets want to play and feel they should be. That's their priority. Look at Jerry Rice. The moment his role was reduced in Oakland, he starting whining. He wasn't 'mentoring' anyone nor did he want to.


That's Rice for you, there is numerous stories of vets being mentors, it also doesn't mean CWood isn't open to a mentoring role or that Reggie has seen his work ethic, film study etc and thinks that would be good for the younger players to learn off.

I'll trust Reggie on this one he seen him up close during his time at the Packers.

Just him being here so DJ can see what a legend does on the weekly bases would be beneficial for the young gun. I'm not hooping CWood comes here & grabs the guy by the neck like "come here you little rascal!"

Jerry Rice wasn't a mentor but TO saw what the legend did to prepare and that TO guy was a HELL of a football player. He credits watching and learning from Rice a lot.

CWood used to rely on God given gifts but like Rice probably showed TO, that's not gonna make you top
Hard working talent does. Not just hardworking talent, but talent that works and prepares the CORRECT way.

That's just to go along with him being the best DB Oakland would have should he choose to return.
_________________


If Phil Jackson came back, still no coaching me, Im uncoachable, Im unsociable.
-Kendrick Lamar
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Baggabonez


Joined: 29 Apr 2010
Posts: 5630
Location: RaiderNation
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dessie wrote:
ZoomWaffle wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:
CrapTakula wrote:
BlackPrestige92 wrote:
^^ That's your interpretation brother. Some of us see a player who is still quite useful to have on a defense. Charles Woodson is still smart and capable. Sure, some of us do love CWood from back in the day but in no way do I think any of us want him here for celebrity reasons solely.

He's still valuable and he's perfect to have talking to DJ Hayden.


i love the idea of getting C-Wood back in silver and black. However, I've seen a lot of people talk about what a great mentor he'd be and from my memory, when he was in Oakland he was supposedly one of the "lazier" players in terms of studying film, practicing technique, etc. and he relied mostly on his tremendous physical gifts. Did this change in GB or am I way off on this?


It changed a lot in GB. The celebrity purposes line of thought is completely off base.


+1

I think for some people it may be all about conjuring up happy memories of seasons past, but not for everyone. Yes, the idea of seeing WOODSON on the back of a Raiders jersey again sparks my interest because he was one of my favorite Raiders, but also because he happens to be better than any safety we have on the roster. I am not blinded by his celebrity, I know he is not the superstar he once was. he is like 36 or 37 and has declining physical attributes, but he is still instinctive, smart, and has coverage ability and ball skills that we lack in our defensive backfield. For me, I want better players on our roster. Woodson fits the bill. The fact that I have always wanted him back in S&B is just icing on the cake.


Totally agree. The whole celebrity thing is garbage.


The bolded suggests that the celebrity "thing" is NOT garbage. Obviously. You can't call something completely baseless and then concede partial truth.

I'm not all up in arms about resigning Woodson quite the contrary. I could care less (assuming his contract is appropriate) as I believe his contributions will be marginal. This belief is my opinion based on my personal observations of aged players over the years and historical data. However, it is still just opinion and ultimately you could be found validated if Woodson were to experience some miraculous resurgence this late in his career. My opinion doesn't make me a "know it all" in fact I come here mainly because I find that defending my positions is educational.

Again it has been my experience that it is extremely rare that a 37 yr old player experiences a resurgence at this point in his career playing for a bad team. But MAYBE THIS is the ONE happenstance that it does as this is what we tend to cling to.
_________________
Raiders 2014 Draft (check out my draft review tell me what you think)
Mancrush 2014: DE Clowney, WR Watkins, OT Robinson, LB Shazier, FS Brooks, TE ASJ, OG Jackson, WR Janis, OT Lucas, OT Tiny
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tamby


Joined: 10 Jan 2013
Posts: 77
Location: NY
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd give him $4-5 million for one year and pencil him in at FS. It sounds like he's more interested in getting paid so this is our chance to get a guy that should be playing for a contender. Nothing wrong with shelling out some money in the short term, not like this move would hurt us in the coming years.

Bringing back C-Wood would at least generate some excitement for an organization that has been down in the dumps. Could also help ticket sales.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ZoomWaffle


Joined: 25 Apr 2010
Posts: 5360
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggabonez wrote:
Again it has been my experience that it is extremely rare that a 37 yr old player experiences a resurgence at this point in his career playing for a bad team..


Maybe, but we have gotten a resurgence from every 37 year old FA safety named Woodson so far Wink
_________________


Silver&Black88 on the sig

La_Vader wrote:
I wouldn't trade Pryor for any prospect in this years draft. Quote me on that
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nightmare


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Posts: 2759
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoomWaffle wrote:
Baggabonez wrote:
Again it has been my experience that it is extremely rare that a 37 yr old player experiences a resurgence at this point in his career playing for a bad team..


Maybe, but we have gotten a resurgence from every 37 year old FA safety named Woodson so far Wink


Wasn't a bad team back then, though. Was a very good one.
_________________
Quote:
Warren Sapp is a fool. That dude is stupid. He played for the Raiders 20 years ago, no one cares what he says, nobody likes him, hes a joke.
^ ^ ^ Chaz Schilens
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ZoomWaffle


Joined: 25 Apr 2010
Posts: 5360
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nightmare wrote:
ZoomWaffle wrote:
Baggabonez wrote:
Again it has been my experience that it is extremely rare that a 37 yr old player experiences a resurgence at this point in his career playing for a bad team..


Maybe, but we have gotten a resurgence from every 37 year old FA safety named Woodson so far Wink


Wasn't a bad team back then, though. Was a very good one.


I know, I was making a joke about the coencidence of signing two 37 year old former great CB-turned safeties named Woodson.
_________________


Silver&Black88 on the sig

La_Vader wrote:
I wouldn't trade Pryor for any prospect in this years draft. Quote me on that
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nightmare


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Posts: 2759
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoomWaffle wrote:
Nightmare wrote:
ZoomWaffle wrote:
Baggabonez wrote:
Again it has been my experience that it is extremely rare that a 37 yr old player experiences a resurgence at this point in his career playing for a bad team..


Maybe, but we have gotten a resurgence from every 37 year old FA safety named Woodson so far Wink


Wasn't a bad team back then, though. Was a very good one.


I know, I was making a joke about the coencidence of signing two 37 year old former great CB-turned safeties named Woodson.


I figured. I'm just miserable and pedantic, leave me alone.

Really hope we do sign Woodson. Would create a feelgood factor for a while. Which will be shattered as soon as the team actually takes the field... but still, at least we'll have had a moderately exciting offseason.
_________________
Quote:
Warren Sapp is a fool. That dude is stupid. He played for the Raiders 20 years ago, no one cares what he says, nobody likes him, hes a joke.
^ ^ ^ Chaz Schilens
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ZoomWaffle


Joined: 25 Apr 2010
Posts: 5360
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nightmare wrote:
ZoomWaffle wrote:
Nightmare wrote:
ZoomWaffle wrote:
Baggabonez wrote:
Again it has been my experience that it is extremely rare that a 37 yr old player experiences a resurgence at this point in his career playing for a bad team..


Maybe, but we have gotten a resurgence from every 37 year old FA safety named Woodson so far Wink


Wasn't a bad team back then, though. Was a very good one.


I know, I was making a joke about the coencidence of signing two 37 year old former great CB-turned safeties named Woodson.


I figured. I'm just miserable and pedantic, leave me alone.

Really hope we do sign Woodson. Would create a feelgood factor for a while. Which will be shattered as soon as the team actually takes the field... but still, at least we'll have had a moderately exciting offseason.


Honestly, as long as the price is reasonable then I see no downside. An over the hill Woodson is still better than Young, plus like you said the "feel good" factor will give a lot of fans something to be happy about.
_________________


Silver&Black88 on the sig

La_Vader wrote:
I wouldn't trade Pryor for any prospect in this years draft. Quote me on that
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Big Rob


Joined: 24 Sep 2011
Posts: 1992
Location: Long Beach, Ca
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if we can sign Woodson, our entire back 7 would be improved from 2012 imo

Moore Roach Burnett
Hayden Woodson Branch Jenkins

Burris McClain Wheeler
Bartell Giordano Branch Huff

maybe not Wheeler, but he was solid and far from great...

if Tarver can generate a pass rush through scheme(we dont have 1 good pass rusher) this defense can be pretty good...i think our DL will be better at stopping the run than years past...

2013 will be a year DA/Tarver prove their worth, if we have an average defense, i will be excited about our future on defense...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oak42069


Joined: 08 Apr 2009
Posts: 2114
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Rob wrote:
if we can sign Woodson, our entire back 7 would be improved from 2012 imo

Moore Roach Burnett
Hayden Woodson Branch Jenkins

Burris McClain Wheeler
Bartell Giordano Branch Huff

maybe not Wheeler, but he was solid and far from great...

if Tarver can generate a pass rush through scheme(we dont have 1 good pass rusher) this defense can be pretty good...i think our DL will be better at stopping the run than years past...

2013 will be a year DA/Tarver prove their worth, if we have an average defense, i will be excited about our future on defense...


Porter when healthy isnt better then Jenks?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Big Rob


Joined: 24 Sep 2011
Posts: 1992
Location: Long Beach, Ca
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oak42069 wrote:
Big Rob wrote:
if we can sign Woodson, our entire back 7 would be improved from 2012 imo

Moore Roach Burnett
Hayden Woodson Branch Jenkins

Burris McClain Wheeler
Bartell Giordano Branch Huff

maybe not Wheeler, but he was solid and far from great...

if Tarver can generate a pass rush through scheme(we dont have 1 good pass rusher) this defense can be pretty good...i think our DL will be better at stopping the run than years past...

2013 will be a year DA/Tarver prove their worth, if we have an average defense, i will be excited about our future on defense...


Porter when healthy isnt better then Jenks?


id prefer Porter in the slot, and i feel Jenkins has more upside with his hws to handle WRs outside the hash...may the best man win though, either would have started last year for us...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CaliforniaKid7


Joined: 23 Jan 2010
Posts: 5621
Location: Cali
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
@Jerrymcd: Woodson re-emerges from facility, accompanied by Willie Brown, to greet fans at secruity gate. Smiles broadly, holds up jersey.

_________________

big thanks to OakleyCap on the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
RaidersAreOne


Joined: 28 Jun 2008
Posts: 9011
Location: Canada, but don't worry... i'm not one of those damn dirty french.
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaliforniaKid7 wrote:
Quote:
@Jerrymcd: Woodson re-emerges from facility, accompanied by Willie Brown, to greet fans at secruity gate. Smiles broadly, holds up jersey.


This makes me believe he is now a Raider.
_________________

First jersey purchased: Jamarcus Russell.
Second jersey purchased: Rolando McClain.
Next purchases: Every Chiefs, Chargers and Broncos player.
JTagg7754 on the sig.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RaisinBran


Joined: 18 Aug 2008
Posts: 9713
Location: 925/805
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamby wrote:
I'd give him $4-5 million for one year and pencil him in at FS. It sounds like he's more interested in getting paid so this is our chance to get a guy that should be playing for a contender. Nothing wrong with shelling out some money in the short term, not like this move would hurt us in the coming years.

Bringing back C-Wood would at least generate some excitement for an organization that has been down in the dumps. Could also help ticket sales.

Your wish has been granted.
_________________

(NFL)=Raiders, (MLB)=A's, (NBA)= Warriors
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 48 of 100

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group